Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 1st August 2017, 13:09   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Ownership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
This one would be my pick. Have seen it on a friends Activa. For the non synthetic category, it is pretty smooth and tractable. But my personal pick would anyday be Shell Advance Ultra. With that, you will hardly feel the engine, even all the way to the top speed. Zilch vibrations. Those are the times when you feel its worth those extra bucks.

Lets see if the Motul makes any difference.
Hello sir,

I own a HONDA ACTIVA 2007 MODEL and a HONDA AVIATOR 2012 MODEL. Till now I've been giving both my scooters at Honda services centre at regular intervals and never made an attempt to shift to other engine oil. I do not know which engine oil is used by Honda service in my scooter. I parallelly own a YAMAHA FZ16 for which 1week back for the first time I shifted to MOTUL from Yamalube through DIY. I really loved the smoothness of the engine with motul engine oil in FZ. Now I am interested to change the engine oil of Activa and Aviator to Motul. Regarding this I would like to know if motul is a good option for gearless scooters or should I stick with Honda service centre engine oil only? Could you elaborate your experience with Motul LE 10W-30. It would be kind of you to help me decide which is the best engine oil for Honda activa and Aviator.
If any post already answers my question kindly guide me.
Thank you.
rohiT Nonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 16:40   #62
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohiT Nonu View Post
Regarding this I would like to know if motul is a good option for gearless scooters or should I stick with Honda service centre engine oil only?
Please read your owners manual to verify the engine oil grade, most likely it will be 10W-30, JASO MB (JASO MA is recommended for motorcycles).

From my research and experience of scouting for this grade of oil earlier, I found that options are:
  • Honda Genuine Oil for scooters 10W30
  • Castrol ACTIV SCOOTER 10W-30
  • Shell Advance 4T AX5 Scooter
  • Motul Scooter LE 10W30
  • Veedol Take-Off 4S 10W30
See earlier post on this here

At most retail outlets selling engine oil that are nearby to my location I could only find Castrol Activ Scooter 10W30 and that's what I've been using for the Aviator (See earlier posts with my experience of using it for the Aviator).

It has been fine and in my opinion better than the Honda Genuine oil,which is probably the same as Veedol Take-off branded by Honda.

If you're able to find Motul at nearby shops, you can try that too (I prefer not to buy engine oil online).

Last edited by NPV : 1st August 2017 at 16:43.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 10:04   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohiT Nonu View Post
I shifted to MOTUL from Yamalube through DIY. I really loved the smoothness of the engine with motul engine oil in FZ. Now I am interested to change the engine oil of Activa and Aviator to Motul. Regarding this I would like to know if motul is a good option for gearless scooters or should I stick with Honda service centre engine oil only? Could you elaborate your experience with Motul LE 10W-30. It would be kind of you to help me decide which is the best engine oil for Honda activa and Aviator.
To add to what NPV has told, the old activa with 100cc engine needed 20W40 as far as I know. Not sure about the aviator if it is 10W30 from its initial days.

However, in my case, I have to admit that I am not using any scooter specific oils. The first oil change for my dio was at 300kms with Honda engine oil. If I remember correctly, I changed to Shell Advance AX7 at around 700kms on the Odo(should read my own review now ) and later on from around 1000kms or so I switched to Shell Advance Ultra which is fully synthetic oil but with the grade 10W40. I had been running on this oil till 15000kms changing it every 2500-3000kms. At 15000 I changed to Motul 300V which has covered 2500kms now. It is due for an oil change and I am deciding between switching back to shell or re ordering Motul.

Shell oil was smoother at start which the Motul is not. However, once speed and revvs build up, they both seem to be the same and trust me, acceleration till 50-60kmph in traffic is just effortless and I can see the other two wheelers far behind. And vibrations from the engine at any speed is NIL. I am enjoying this so far and the smoothness of the engine is very addictive.

You can order off amazon, which I do but be choosy on the seller and go for an amazon fulfilled seller. Havent faced problems with them till date. I have ordered the Shell oil thrice and Motul once.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote