Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 31st January 2015, 09:09   #16
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Royal Enfield now offers 2 years / 20,000 km warranty

Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I really don't know what the Royal Enfield warranty in India says about covering the motorcycle if it is sold by an owner to another person.

It may be transferable or not.

I was just saying the warranty in the USA is not transferable and this was a decision made by the US company that imports the motorcycle and gives the 2 year coverage.

If this is an issue with a new buyer I suggest they ask the dealer about it while talking about the purchase.
Transferring warranties is a bit of a complex issues; here a link to the DMV site in US that gives some guidelines:

Short version; always check the details with the vendor.

In Europe (EU) EU law requires that any new vehicle sold by a professional in Europe must be covered for manufacturer faults for two years. It's illegal otherwise. Vehicle can also be repaired by any authorised dealer in an EU country, so you neednít worry about your car breaking down if you take it on holiday.

Typically selling it on does not void the initial two year quarantee.

I've never understood why the warranty would become void if a vehicle gets sold to a new owner. I think its just a cheap trick from the manufacturer to get out of their warranty obligation. If you offer say 2 years and or 20.000 km it really doesn't matter who owns the bike does it?

Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 09:42   #17

I may sound rhetoric but could not help posting this after riding a brand new (~450kms on odo) Enfield Classic a week ago for 40 kms en route to it's first service.

There were multiple noises creeping from the chain guard.
The engine was wheezing with prominent cam noise
There was a noticeable pull towards the left in the steering
The rear wheel locked, though only once under hard breaking.

What has put him really off was the vibrations! I have ridden many bullets, including a (company made) diesel one which was from family. All of them bowled me over by the stability they offered in spades. But that wonderful magic carpet ride and the stability are really missing in these new gen bullets IMHO.

May I rode a lemon but I hear many aficionados aren't happy either. So, I see the warranty extension is more on the peer pressure side.

I mean, with the strides fellow Indian manufacturers (TVS, Hero and to some extent Bajaj) have made in quality front from their Japanese partners in reliability! Enfield has to really rise the bar here.
rangarx is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 02:15   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe that the Thunderbird is manufactured in the new more precise facility and the classic in the older one. That should impact quality though the 2 year warranty is across the board.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:30   #19

Great news indeed! I just bought a Bullet 500 and was updated by the dealer about the same. But the dealer says that there is no warranty card for this nor is it stated anywhere in the user manual. The warranty would be applicable from the date of invoice for 2 years/20000 kilometers. He also added that they have still not received the new warranty stickers from Royal enfield.

Any idea if this is the reality? or is the dealer taking me for a ride?

Last edited by Siddy : 2nd February 2015 at 15:32. Reason: Typo
Siddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 16:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

From http://royalenfield.com/pdfs/motorcy...ers-Manual.pdf :

1. RE will replace or repair defective part / parts at their Authorised Dealer / Service point, free of charge within
a period of 12 months from the date of sale (date of Installation) or 10,000 kms whichever occurs earlier.
2. The warranty is applicable only to first registered owner.
Any change by RE now when the ownership transfers ? Do other bike manufacturers in India void the warranty in case of an ownership transfer ? This is certainly not the case for cars.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 10:11   #21

Much, much needed.

Here's why. In the last 11 months of ownership, my RE Thunderbird 500 has had:
A. Replaced fuel pump
B. Replaced speedometer cluster due to non working hazard signal switch
C. Complete engine overhaul - replaced pistons, cylinder head, various gaskets and piston ring - the piston ring had reduced in size, causing very high consumption of engine oil (a problem I had been suspicious of, and reporting since the second service)
D. Issues with the battery - it is definitely weak. Requires a longish crank to start the engine, and the ASC has got it checked by Exide, and they've just recharged it and given it back.
E. Weak clutch plates
F. Improper brake switch on rear brake lever
G. Failed rear parking lamp - some problem in the wiring - now fixed.

Now my warranty was over a while back, and I've crossed 10,800 Kms.

They may have offered me a goodwill warranty on the engine for another 10,000 Kms - I'm not sure as it's not on paper / in writing anywhere.

I have gotten ample support from senior RE Representatives.
But with the kind of quality issues I've faced, RE do not appear even close to being a sorted quality manufacturer.

samarth.bhatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 19:56   #22

Hi Guys,

Got a new cl350 for myself yesterday from the brand store in Bangalore and during delivery the dealer informed me that the bike has 2 years/ 20000kms warranty. But the manual given to me still states that the warranty is 1 year/ 10000kms. When I asked the dealer he informed me that the new manual are still not out but he promised me that I would get 2yrs warranty. But now I don't have any proof which states so...

Is there any way where in I can escalate this to RE? My only concern is that when I am paying almost 1.5 lacks for a bike can't they give me a manual which says the warranty is for 2yrs, is clearing the stocks of old manual more important that giving customer what is promised???

Pls suggest guys..

vijay_k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 21:06   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^While you do have a valid point that they should have given you the latest manual (indicating the new 2-year/20K kms warranty) with the bike, from a warranty-coverage POV, it does not really affect you since they have clearly advertised this warranty to be applicable for bikes sold from 1-Jan-2015. So, rest assured.

Since this would be the only change vis-a-vis the old manual, throwing away the already printed manuals seems to me to be a waste. What they could do is to have a slip with new warranty printed and provided to dealers which can be pasted on the page indicating the old warranty.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote