Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th February 2015, 23:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Snap Bikes: Rent a motorcycle in Pune

Motorcycle rentals are extremely popular in locations like Goa. However, the concept hasn't quite caught on in the rest of the country. The city of Pune - famous for its large two-wheeler presence, can now avail of a motorcycle rental service. Snap Bikes- a venture by Elite Celebrations, is a motorcycle rental service that will gradually expand into different cities across India.

The scheme is the 1st government authorized motorcycle rental company, and has been approved by the Regional Transport Office (RTO). The service offers models ranging from gear-less scooters like the Honda Activa to premium offerings like the 500cc Royal Enfield Desert Storm. The company plans to add Harley-Davidson and other premium motorcycles to its line-up as well.

Over the next few weeks, Snap Bikes will be adding around 100 motorcycles to its fleet, while opening about 15 pick-up points in Pune. The rental service can be availed of on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. Each vehicle comes with a GPS tracker and customers can rent a helmet as well. The vehicle can be booked against a security deposit of Rs 5,000; payable by credit/debit card (cash deposits are not entertained)

For reservations, customers can get in touch at: 09028002733 / 020 69333696 or send an email to aditya@elitecelebrations.in for further details.

Address: 5, Vrindavan North Main Road, Koregaon Park, Pune. Landmark: Lane No 6, Pizza Hut.

Rates as per the inaugural offer range from Rs 399 per day for the Activa to Rs 449 per day for the Hero Passion and Bajaj Discover. Prices hit Rs 999 per day for the Desert storm and customers can rent helmets for Rs 15 per day. In all cases, there is an additional 12.36% service charge+service tax.

Snap Bikes: Rent a motorcycle in Pune-untitled.png

Last edited by Tushar : 9th February 2015 at 23:33.
Tushar is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 10:20   #2
BHPian

Default re: Snap Bikes: Rent a motorcycle in Pune

This is a very nice initiative and would mostly help people coming to the particular city for a short period of time or people like me who mainly drive with sudden urges for riding . My Karizma was 2 years and only 3900 kms when I sold it off. However saying that isn't the rentals a bit steep ?

Will be a very good option to test drive a bullet for an entire day for prospective bullet customers.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 10:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Superb initiative.

As someone who would only like to ride a bike very occasionally I'd love to be able to rent bikes from time to time without having to plonk in the capital to actually buy and maintain one. Also ensures some variety. I hope they're not only HD centric and and also buy stuff like N650, Triumphs etc.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 10:49   #4
BHPian

Interesting concept. But, why would I rent an activa for Rs 450 (including tax) a day? It makes sense in Goa which mostly serves tourists. Pune is not a 'tourist' place for this to make sense.

Perhaps having Harleys and sports bikes for the enthusiast may make sense. But overall, I just don't see this taking off...
torque!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 12:18   #5
BHPian

Interesting to see many new firms following the Zoom Car formula. A deposit of 5k is reasonable, unlike leaving an open cheque like a bike rental firm here in Bangalore demands. The catch here would be perfectly maintained motorcycles, courteous ground staff and a hassle free experience.

Looking forward to their opening in Bangalore, as it's about time that the 2 existing motorcycle renters (who charge a fortune and don't provide fuel) received some competition. Would be great if they add the Street 750/Ninja 650/390 brothers to their fleet next and based on their feedback, upgrade to higher capacity motorcycles.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 12:59   #6

Great Initiative.

Pune is an educational hub and hence attracts lots of students from other parts of India and African countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque!! View Post
I just don't see this taking off...
Students studying here are mostly from middle or upper middle class and hence this initiative should find takers.

How i wish such facility was available couple of years back! It would have made early morning rides (by bunking boring MBA classes) to Lonavala and adjoining areas much more enjoyable
abhipuri is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 14:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuri View Post
Great Initiative.

Pune is an educational hub and hence attracts lots of students from other parts of India and African countries.
Students studying here are mostly from middle or upper middle class and hence this initiative should find takers.
How i wish such facility was available couple of years back! It would have made early morning rides (by bunking boring MBA classes) to Lonavala and adjoining areas much more enjoyable
IMHO students would probably buy a new/ used one rather than rent. For a one off weekend ride to Lonavala - yes, sounds like a good idea. But will there be enough demand on other days to keep this going?
torque!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 15:26   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Snap Bikes: Rent a motorcycle in Pune

While there might be a market for 'need-based' bike rentals, there is definitely a large market for leisure rentals.

Not everyone wants to own a motorcycle, but a lot of us love to ride one. If & when such a service comes to Mumbai, I'll jump on it. My running is so low (and I already have one lifestyle car - the Jeep) that adding a motorcycle to the garage makes no sense at all. That said, I would love to rent a Bullet over some weekend, a Harley the next month and top it off with a Ninja 650. A company that does this right stands to make a lot of $$$.

On a related note, am sure hoping that Zoom Cars enters Mumbai soon. I need an SUV only 2 - 3 times a year, thus makes more sense to rent than buy. Sure, we have Myles (Carzonrent), yet would love more options.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 15:33   #9
BHPian

This is a welcome move, Its better to rent a bike in Pune and move around than to rent a car and get stuck in traffic. The weather is also favorable for this, so short time visitors will go for it.
Till last year, I used to visit Pune on some weekends from Delhi to visit my fiance and friends and I would have loved to have this option then, rather than haggling with the Auto guys or asking someone to loan their vehicle to me.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 15:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Will be a very good option to test drive a bullet for an entire day for prospective bullet customers.
Very good point. Motorcycle brands (at least the premium ones) may even consider some kind deal with Snap Bikes, so customers can get a real test ride. I would definitely speed up my purchase decision if I had a better idea of a new bike's mannerisms.

I for one believe this has strong potential. Pune isn't as popular a tourist destination as Goa, but it does still see a lot of tourists. (Places like the Osho ashram attract a lot of them). The main attraction will be premium motorcycles, but I wonder how expensive they will be, given that even a Royal Enfield costs over 1k per day.

The low end Activa, Discover rental may seem pricey, but given how expensive rickshaws are in Pune, there may be a market for longer term renters (Snap bikes will hopefully offer great discounts for such customers). A lot of my friends rent motorcycles in Goa mainly because they don't/can't own one and paying Rs 500-700 a day isn't a problem.

Goa rentals are available in every nook and cranny. If a small time businessman can make the model work, there's no reason why a large corporation can't.
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 20:25   #11
BHPian

I have an R15 that I barely use, but keep around for long weekend trips. It mostly just stays parked in my garage, and gets taken out once in a few months.

I'd definitely get rid of it if this service came to Mumbai.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 22:18   #12
BHPian

Nice concept. But their choice of bikes baffles me. Would have loved to see more high end bikes. Secondly as few other mentioned, I think it is too pricey, if RE Classic comes for Rs 1000+ I dont want to imagine how much they will charge for Kwackers and HDs!
On the contrary Zoomcar's schemes and cars on offer look more tempting, atleast I have been thinking about renting a GLA for sometime now!
Sanjunair5 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 23:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

What I would love:

- This service comes up in Chennai and / or Coimbatore
- They have some sporty bikes in their lineup. I ll be happy with a Katoom RC 390
- Given the pricing on the Bullets, would happily shell out even 2000 per day for the RC

Then:

Book me a train ticket, cheapest accomodation and ride these bikes on the Kari / MMSC tracks to my heart's content

Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 23:46   #14
BHPian

The service is currently available in Mumbai through a riding company named enfieldriders.com, I have enjoyed some weekend rides with them and trust me it's fun without the onus of maintaining an Enfield. They are doing extremely well and were recently featured in cnbc Young Turks as well.

Disclaimer: I have no vested interest in Enfieldriders just a die hard fan as the rides were real fun.
e4gleeyez is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2015, 00:30   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
What I would love:

- This service comes up in Chennai and / or Coimbatore
- They have some sporty bikes in their lineup. I ll be happy with a Katoom RC 390
- Given the pricing on the Bullets, would happily shell out even 2000 per day for the RC

Then:

Book me a train ticket, cheapest accomodation and ride these bikes on the Kari / MMSC tracks to my heart's content

There's a similar service in Chennai - a guy called Vicky 9952100400.

He charges almost 1.5 per day for enfield rentals IIRC so these prices are actually reasonable. he charges lower on weekdays and higher on weekends. CBR was 2k per day IIRC. The bike had no troubles as per a friend who hired an R15 (same cost as enfields I think).
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote