Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 12th February 2015, 14:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Rumour: Royal Enfield trademarking the name "Himalayan" for its apparel range

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
RE is actually riding the wave of profits and good sales, but unfortunately, their support and service centers and quality are not part of that wave yet.
Now since they are minting, hopefully they invest in the right areas.
Genuinely. RE's last forever, but that's always a result of heavy maintenance and part replacement (replaced with more sub-standard confetti at that). I have spent enough money to sponsor a child's primary education on my bike in 4 years (Not including mods).

If Royal Enfield is making an adventure tourer, the onus on quality becomes all the more important because buyers will be looking to give the machine some punishment. They need to get more power, long lasting/premium quality parts and make their rides go from "easy to fix" to "needless to fix". The Himalayan will be largely targeting export markets. RE can use the model to start a new chapter and make the brand reach global standards. Considering how their monopoly is coming with an expiry date, the progression needs to be a matter of "when" and not "if".

Last edited by Tushar : 12th February 2015 at 14:43.
Tushar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 15:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Rumour: Royal Enfield trademarking the name "Himalayan" for its apparel range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
The Himalayan will be largely targeting export markets. RE can use the model to start a new chapter and make the brand reach global standards.
Good that you mentioned this and it is absolutely true. There is a strong demand and outrage for a simple, light weight and economic adventure tourer in the international markets too. A good portion (although still small) of enthusiasts are realizing that you cant really 'adventure' on the likes of R1200GS,Tigers,1190A-s etc because of the weight and cost factors and they want something small with amble power!
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 22:46   #18
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
If this news comes to be true then RE will be the first Indian company (I am not sure to call Hero Impulse a adventure tourer motorcycle) to offer a adventure tourer motorcycle.
Of course not.. the Impulse is an entry level On-Off/Dual Purpose bike.. i.e good for short city commutes and fun to ride bike on bad/broken/off roads.

An Adventure Motorcycle has to be more than a light weight on-off road bike.
Old 13th February 2015, 00:14   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
As a customer am I asking for too much?
Ofcourse not! The market for an adventure tourer motorcycle is ripe for the picking. Quite frankly, if Royal Enfield doesn't do it well, Someone else will.

All of the points you've raised are valid. I think the only 2 things I would want from this motorcycle would be

-Punchy motor and a good gearbox.

-Quality

I doubt the weight would be all that less, its not that easy losing weight is it( For motorcycles and humans).

Any idea on how much of an effect would raising the compression ratio have with the current design of the engine? Unless its a completely redesigned engine ofcourse. As Navin rightly put it, overhead cams are the way to go.

This image, sans the windshield and v-twin popped into my head when I read your description.

Name:  scramblermotorcycle1.jpg
Views: 119215
Size:  145.4 KB

Anyway I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

Regards

BOV
B O V is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 09:21   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

A scrambler or an adventure bike would require two things IMO which RE didn't have till now
1) A light weight and super strong chassis and cycle parts
2) A punchy torquey engine which is vibe free or at-least doesn't vibrate as much as their UCE range

Also they need to think about rubber mounting their engine, if they need it to rev high may be think about liquid cooling it and then of course not making the engine a stressed member, so may be they need to think about modifying the GT's chassis.
A 400 cc single cylinder engine will need to have balancer shafts to iron out the vibration, not sure if RE is bothered to think about it.

Also they need to make the bike dimensionally larger than they puny GT or the Thunderbird since the adventure tourer needs adequate place for luggage and two up riding.

Its one thing trying to register a name and something else to get your engineering and building skills to dish out a decent tourer.
Old 13th February 2015, 10:50   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
RE is actually riding the wave of profits and good sales, but unfortunately, their support and service centers and quality are not part of that wave yet. Now since they are minting, hopefully they invest in the right areas.
Dear Tharian - you are 1000% correct again! Your first sentence is true for many other automobile manufacturers in India as well. Your second sentence is also true but only "invest"-ment of money will not get the job done, what is required in this area is "PASSION"! It becomes very smug and comfortable for people to stand up on stage and say this word so they do this very regularly, but it is very difficult for the same people to actually walk the talk in this area so they only pretend to do it! With this as reality, if something happens to the vehicle, the poor customer runs from pillar to post with no end in sight, but in the reviews, he becomes a statistic as one row of an excel file (if at all)! Cool, naa? .

My reality check is very clear, I do not buy a Bullet till I see it's looks, performance and reliability upto the level that satisfies me. I drove my friend's brand new Thunderbird 500 with 23 kms on the clock, the gears were difficult to slot into and the chain was "singing". Oh, come on now!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 11:12   #22
BHPian

News says power figure wouldn't be considerably higher than the 350cc motor but torque figure is estimated to be around 40Nm which is almost a 30 per cent gain, Since it doesn't make signification increase in power and produces more torque, It might still be a cruiser. But since they decided to call it the "Himalayan" and not a "Bullet 400" or a "Classic 400", it makes me think otherwise. I really wish Royal Enfield comes up with something different. Say, an adventure tourer (but most die hard bullet fans may not be happy about this though).

Even though new UCE engines are trouble free compared to the old cast iron engines, it still does have niggling issues. I hope Royal Enfield some up with a solution for this with its upcoming models. Fingers crossed
Old 13th February 2015, 12:16   #23
BHPian

Surprisingly my 2004 TBird 50K on the clock, has been quite low maintenance. The major problems have been the cams which were replaced along with the push rods pinions and the the grudgeon pin. The chrome still shines, paint is still good, no rust issues. Zero electrical problems. I have attached a list of maintenance expenses for reference add about 5k that is not in the list.
Whereas the service guys are a rip off, whether company owned or outside ones. The last 3 years or so I have been maintaining it myself mostly because of these experiences, even now it is good for a 500km road trip any day.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx TB list.xlsx (12.1 KB, 696 views)
ssingri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 12:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
This image, sans the windshield and v-twin popped into my head when I read your description.
Thats more like it with a windshield and a traditional chain drive.

Quote:
Any idea on how much of an effect would raising the compression ratio have with the current design of the engine?
Power would definitely go up by a good amount depending on how much they can push it, but the down side will be more engine heat, more engine braking and may be a harder kick starter (But hey- Decompressor is already there to the rescue)! Pumping up the CR for a UCE still may not put impressive BHP figures on paper as those pushrods cannot be revved any harder! But it would definitely improve the feel of the engine and make it 'punchy'!

OHV-s are definitely the way to go! But, I think that is asking for too much from Royal Enfield!
Old 13th February 2015, 17:52   #25

Is this the one? A friend clicked this pic in Ooty a month ago

Name:  IMG_268089461715940.jpeg
Views: 38556
Size:  161.5 KB

Last edited by aah78 : 13th February 2015 at 18:55. Reason: Post edited. Attachment re-uploaded. Should show up now. Thanks!
Indicruz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 20:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indicruz View Post
Is this the one? A friend clicked this pic in Ooty a month ago

Attachment 1339400
I am 100% sure this is someone's modded C-GT

Love that bash plate
Old 13th February 2015, 22:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I am 100% sure this is someone's modded C-GT

Love that bash plate
Looks more like a modified TBird. Might be wrong because I am viewing it from a small screen.

Whatever it is, it sure looks good. That tank with 'RE' badging is just lovely! Good choice of colour too.

But as an adventure tourer, I don't think a bike like this would fulfil the needs. Looks won't help here!
To make a proper adventure tourer, RE needs a new design philosophy as well as a more punchy engine, to compete with the powerful rivals.
OHV is the way to go!
On a different note, this bike deserves a mention in the well modified vehicles thread.
Old 13th February 2015, 22:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Looks more like a modified TBird. Might be wrong because I am viewing it from a small screen.

But as an adventure tourer, I don't think a bike like this would fulfil the needs
Look at the double cradle frame. Its definitely the GT

Also, looks like the bike did go on a bit of a diet and shed some weight. The fenders and exhaust should have definitely contributed to that

Off topic, but I very recently had my first experience off road last weekend. It was a blast. I was ready to forego the Enfield for a used Impulse

But I plan to go another way.

I am going to put my 2002 T-bird on a strict diet. The fenders and stays go, as do the lights & the rear seat, all side panels go (battery to be moved elsewhere, regular filter replaced with K&N R 1060). My current custom 20 litre fuel tank will be chopped in half (around 10 ltr capacity), unless I can find a similar capacity (10 ltrs or thereabouts) plastic tank that can be fitted (Suggestions welcome).

Then I will see if there are parts of the frame that I can chop off (any bits that were there to accomodate the cosmetic stuff) without impacting the dynamics of the bike. This should give me a 20 KG advantage IMO. I could be wrong though

Any suggestions in this respect are more than welcome. I do not care how the bike looks so request that all suggestions be based on purely function

Oh, and I do not intend to spend big bucks. This will be an el cheapo fix. I am meeting my mechanic on Monday for suggestions. And, I have seen the Enfield weight loss thread. Not much action there. Just posted here impromptu

Sorry for the off topic post
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 23:00   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
That is a modded Continental gt, its got a double cradle frame as opposed to the single downtube with the stressed engine design that we find on the other models.

Attaching a picture from the orginal article.

Name:  royalenfield400ccbikehimalayanadventurebikepicimagephotozigwheels11020215m1_560x420.jpg
Views: 14507
Size:  94.4 KB

Regards

BOV
B O V is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 23:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Look at the double cradle frame. Its definitely the GT

Also, looks like the bike did go on a bit of a diet and shed some weight. The fenders and exhaust should have definitely contributed to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
That is a modded Continental gt, its got a double cradle frame as opposed to the single downtube with the stressed engine design that we find on the other models.

Attaching a picture from the orginal article.

Attachment 1339466

Regards

BOV
Thanks for pointing it out. I viewed it on a larger laptop screen and the double cradle frame was evident that it is built on the C-GT frame.

@Urban_Nomad, I think the thread "Royal Enfield Queries" will be helpful for converting your TBird to an adventure tourer.

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 13th February 2015 at 23:10.
Closed Thread