Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 9th September 2015, 22:17   #316
BHPian

Default re: Royal Enfield trademarks the name "Himalayan" EDIT: Now unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Same here. I was also expecting a FI. Many of the hardcore tourers I know Has swapped the FI unit for a carb, put on a dual purpose tire, stripped off the panels and slapped on a borrowed windscreen on their TB500-s and C500-s all in the name of practicality. I think RE might have taken inspiration from that.
Well true, but being a tourer myself and touring extensively on my R15 i have lost the touch of adjusting the jets at higher altitude. FI is more of hassle free, but yes I cant take the bike in negativity just because of carb. The overall look and the design looks promising for dual purpose rides, the carb is good but a bit old school.

Hey wanted to ask you all when is Rider Mania which is organized by Royal Enfield?
Old 10th September 2015, 10:31   #317
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys am I the only one or is it because the Himalayan is still in pre-production stage that "I don't see a kick start lever". See the picture below.
The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-20150908030136.jpg
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 12:53   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Hey guys am I the only one or is it because the Himalayan is still in pre-production stage that "I don't see a kick start lever". See the picture below.
An RE with only the electric start would be blasphemous to put it mildly! More so on a so-called adventure bike.

But I think you are right, judging by what a hack-job that thing looks like, this is not nearly close to production. All the media outlets need to calm their horses and wait, but I think we all know that's not going to happen.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 20:25   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
Hey wanted to ask you all when is Rider Mania which is organized by Royal Enfield?
Always the third weekend of november, that would be 21/22 Nov.
Venue- Vagator Fair Grounds, Vagator, North Goa.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 22:54   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
.. My question was that I heard that they are going to launch the bike in November? Has anyone has any information about it?
From what I know, RE hasn't fixed a release yet for this motorcycle. They want this bike to be as niggle free as possible from the beginning and working on achieving that.
Being an all new bike in all departments, I'm not surprised that they want to change in all aspects from the beginning.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 16:49   #321
BHPian

Dimensioning done- and then the lines are askew for understanding. I would assume that I could not be out of sync over 10-12% on the seat height. That puts it at a top height of around 810-815 unladen- sounds fantastic. Looking slim, it would be a real steal for shorter riders not having to worry about stratospheric heights.
Duke 200 @810mm, Duke 390 @800mm are about the same height that I am guessing.
As with scaling- this is an opinion on measurements- if any one can better- they should!
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-dim1500.jpg  

Hammer & Anvil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 17:37   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Dimensioning done

That's interesting to read your measurements. Can you please explain on how you arrived at this? Like was this computer enhanced? Did you use any apps to arrive?

You can PM if you find it not worthwhile sharing this information on the forum
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 19:16   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
That's interesting to read your measurements. Can you please explain ...
OK- this is interesting. The rim size- from visual is a 21" the image was scaled to that first so that the rim and a 'ruler' or object (as created in AutoCAD or a vector software) would match to the millimeter.
Now the images of the bike on the road were taken for sampling along with the images of the bike on production ramp. The measurements below are samplings- the error being as the bikers were never perfectly parallel to the photographer, nor were the bikes at eye level or the camera at the center of the bikes height. So you would have to adjust the image in photoshop to remove the perspective error... then you ratio and proportion the different points- seat base, bottom of the engine as I see it (not taking into account some 5-10mm I would possibly lose to the main stand.. etc.
I am presenting the data below to give you an idea on how I tried to kinda of minimise error. HOWEVER- i have used a picture that I thought was best suited and then put that on the image.
IF you notice in
sampling 2- biker was sitting on it at a security gate- therefore assume the bike was not under full load
sampling 3, the bike was laden with a heavy set rider, taken off vikatan.com, and that shows the seat at what it will be at its running best.

I have then used the best data set to print. The tables below shows my sampling- but unless you know that the bike was not loaded in 1&4, you would wonder why the average, shown in bold is not printed.

Any thing else, let me know. OF course- one thing remains- 21" or 533.4mm is the weak link- if thats off (rim size turns out to be 19" or something else), then I will need to re-work the dimensioning.

Average
Front rim 533 533 533 533 533
seat 813 771 711 805 802
wheel base 1575 1493 1465 1435 1492
length 2205 2173 2048 2080 2127

Last edited by Hammer & Anvil : 15th September 2015 at 19:17.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 21:10   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Any thing else, let me know. OF course- one thing remains- 21" or 533.4mm is the weak link- if thats off (rim size turns out to be 19" or something else), then I will need to re-work the dimensioning.
Seat height should be lower then. You should be applauding!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 21:22   #325
BHPian

As per the information the rim would be 21" front and 17" rear, the travel is supposed to be good, and the headlight would be stationary (i.e. it wont turn with the handle) and would move with the body frame. But I am liking the whole setup and overall we in India don't have any other option as well. Impulse was there but thats very much under power and then it starts breathing up in hills at higher altitude. So eagerly waiting for this.
Shivanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 10:09   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Seat height should be lower then. You should be applauding!
My head banger was for the recalculations- hahahahah I ride a 670mm FatBoy... compared to that 800 is stratospheric, vertigo inducing.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 09:41   #327
Senior - BHPian

Any idea about the launch and when bookings open?
Old 10th October 2015, 00:48   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
An RE with only the electric start would be blasphemous to put it mildly! More so on a so-called adventure bike.

But I think you are right, judging by what a hack-job that thing looks like, this is not nearly close to production. All the media outlets need to calm their horses and wait, but I think we all know that's not going to happen.
The local showroom here in the Himalayas (Manali) is saying (much to my surprise) that the "Himalayan" is going to be 650cc and cost 1.8-1.9L. So it's really anybody's guess at this point what (and dare I say whether?) we're going to end up with.

I hope the 21" wheel, at least, is right - it'll be a big plus (and make it a lot easier for me to upgrade my Impulse to the same).

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 08:07   #329
BHPian

650 cc for 1.8L, that figure is something that I can't digest. If true, the Himalayan could be a serious competitor for the Tiger and Versys(Provided RE ramp up the Performance figures)
Old 10th October 2015, 09:24   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
The local showroom here in the Himalayas (Manali) is saying (much to my surprise) that the "Himalayan" is going to be 650cc and cost 1.8-1.9L.
If that's the pricing then I'm sure that we'll have folks lining up to buy it. 650 cc single from Royal Enfield sounds a bit too ambitious imho.
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread