Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 1st December 2015, 13:50   #376
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Royal Enfield trademarks the name "Himalayan" EDIT: Now unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Quite audible exhaust note for a stock muffler.
Was about to say just that. Quite loud for a stock exhaust! Could hear it distinctively even in that traffic.
Old 1st December 2015, 14:24   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Was about to say just that. Quite loud for a stock exhaust! Could hear it distinctively even in that traffic.
Guessing it would be an aftermarket exhaust provided by RE itself like the GT wherein the muffler exit dia is wider than stock which ends up in a more audible note.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-untitled.png  

Last edited by tharian : 1st December 2015 at 14:26.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 22:48   #378
Senior - BHPian

A new Picture from Facebook.
  • Engine guard
  • Aluminum Pannier box
The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-12299142_10204948837432591_6835073898864777965_n.jpg <br /> <br /> </blockquote>rgds,<br />
Nikhil</div>   <div style=
jeepster is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 10:48   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
  • Engine guard
  • Aluminum Pannier box
[indent]Attachment 1447328
The matte military camouflage colour(or is it just a cover to hide the aesthetics) sure looks killer on the Himalayan. The hard box panniers look business coupled with the engine guard. I can also see steel braided brake lines. RE sure is taking some serious steps in making this a worthy on/off road ADV tourer with the kits.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 7th December 2015 at 10:49.
Old 7th December 2015, 11:20   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
[*]Engine guard[*]Aluminum Pannier box[/list][indent]Attachment 1447328
Damn! That looks almost production ready!! The OEM(?) Sump Guard and the engine crash bar is looking neat!!

I really appreciate how RE started from a blank sheet for this and how so very little parts are reused from that half a century old bin!
Old 7th December 2015, 11:31   #381
Senior - BHPian

I appreciate the fact that RE is taking their time to fine tune this model to what it is actually meant to be.

This one looks like a proper adventure tourer with all the small and big relevant parts .

Notice the Royal Enfield badge is a plate connecting the side guard pipes rather than on the tank.

Get a suitable backrest for the pillion seat and it is almost done.

Last edited by tharian : 7th December 2015 at 11:41.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 13:40   #382
BHPian

I simply love how this looks! I really hope the new 400cc mill has less vibrations, so that your bones don't get rattled in triple digit speeds. Also, hopefully they increase the service intervals to at least 6k kms, as it will be spending most of its time on the road. The present 3k kms is a bit less.

I'm really looking forward to adding this one to my stable.
Old 8th December 2015, 07:46   #383
BHPian

Love the utilitarian bit of the design! Looks purpose built for adventure touring and a simple fall should hopefully not cost a fortune! Hope it doesn't weigh too much!
If it can it hit 120 without any major strain on the engine (or the rider!), thats good enough for me!
There are no other bikes that are really comparable to this one right now. RE might just have hit the jackpot by creating a new segment. Now to just wait and see if they can deliver on the promise!
Old 8th December 2015, 08:14   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.r.K View Post
Love the utilitarian bit of the design! Looks purpose built for adventure touring and a simple fall should hopefully not cost a fortune! Hope it doesn't weigh too much!
If it can it hit 120 without any major strain on the engine (or the rider!), thats good enough for me!
There are no other bikes that are really comparable to this one right now. RE might just have hit the jackpot by creating a new segment. Now to just wait and see if they can deliver on the promise!
I have mixed feelings on this one. Just like the t'bird looks like a wannabe cruiser, this looks like a wannabe ADV. the bike still doesnt look or for that matter, have much of modernization done to it to need those panniers which look like they've been stolen off a proper ADV.(probably they may look better when the actual paint job underneath the camo is revealed). Nevertheless if looks are an important part of going for an ADV, then the TRK 502 unveiled recently by Benelli ticks all the boxes. The Benelli looks much more like the bigger boys in the ADV club. This looks like someone wanted an ADV very badly and took an RE to old delhi for some Jugaad magic.
cUjO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 08:27   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cUjO View Post
I have mixed feelings on this one. Just like the t'bird looks like a wannabe cruiser, this looks like a wannabe ADV. the bike still doesnt look or for that matter, have much of modernization done to it to need those panniers which look like they've been stolen off a proper ADV.(probably they may look better when the actual paint job underneath the camo is revealed). Nevertheless if looks are an important part of going for an ADV, then the TRK 502 unveiled recently by Benelli ticks all the boxes. The Benelli looks much more like the bigger boys in the ADV club. This looks like someone wanted an ADV very badly and took an RE to old delhi for some Jugaad magic.
The bike definitely looks like it has the required framework to take the weight of the panniers. Hopefully with all the testing RE sorts out all the teething issues they are infamous for!
The bennelli is probably going to cost twice as much as this bike! So no comparison.
Also, for an adventure tourer i'd rather have a bike without a fairing as any fall would require me to shell out more moolah! A bare basic bike is definitely is more off road friendly. But then again it could just be me!
Old 8th December 2015, 09:23   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the bike still doesnt look or for that matter, have much of modernization done to it to need those panniers which look like they've been stolen off a proper ADV.(probably they may look better when the actual paint job underneath the camo is revealed). Nevertheless if looks are an important part of going for an ADV, then the TRK 502 unveiled recently by Benelli ticks all the boxes. The Benelli looks much more like the bigger boys in the ADV club. This looks like someone wanted an ADV very badly and took an RE to old delhi for some Jugaad magic
Not sure how many mono shock counterbalanced REs with all new frame, that gorgeous engine guard and sump guard is old delhi churning out, but I'm yet to see one. And I should know, living in delhi and all

And please can you explain just what does this even mean - "the bike still doesnt look or for that matter, have much of modernization done to it to need those panniers"

Modernisation warrants panniers? How are they even related? People can (and do) install panniers on the most antiquated of machines. Your insights on the correlation between a modern unit and motorcycle luggage would be most appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.r.K View Post
+1
Urban_Nomad is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 11:28   #387
BHPian

Quote:
In the contrary I think this is exactly what we need in India, basic, rugged, uncomplicated with minimal electronic interference. The trek or triumph for that matter is a bit too much for our conditions, too much bike. Try manhandling a tiger through a narrow trail and you'll get my drift. I'm am a RE basher but I think they deserve credit ( prematurely :P) for going down this road. I do honestly think this will be a decently engineered product, BTW I don't get any of your logic wrt to physical appearances of an ADV bike? What's the correlation to actual real world performance .. Hmm?
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 11:47   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
BTW I don't get any of your logic wrt to physical appearances of an ADV bike? What's the correlation to actual real world performance .. Hmm?
He means that the bike does not look good as the Multistrada or the Caponord. It does not have proper plastic fairings and you will not look cool sitting on it in a traffic block. Thats what matters for an ADV right? Who cares about the 21" Front wire wheels, high GC, long travel suspension, rugged build with less things to break etc etc..?

Last edited by man_of_steel : 8th December 2015 at 11:56.
man_of_steel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 11:52   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have mixed feelings on this one. Just like the t'bird looks like a wannabe cruiser, this looks like a wannabe ADV.
Mate while I appreciate your humour at the same time we need to give some credit to RE for at least experimenting with this model. There was a similar downgrading of the AVL Thunderbird when it was launched way back in 2002. It went onto become the best selling RE during its era outselling all other models "wannabe" cruiser not withstanding. In fact even today the Tbird sells like hot cakes next to the CL series. I am sure you must have rode the Tbird and would like to know why you are calling it a "wannabe cruiser".
Quote:
the bike still doesnt look or for that matter, have much of modernization done to it to need those panniers which look like they've been stolen off a proper ADV.(probably they may look better when the actual paint job underneath the camo is revealed). Nevertheless if looks are an important part of going for an ADV, then the TRK 502 unveiled recently by Benelli ticks all the boxes. The Benelli looks much more like the bigger boys in the ADV club. This looks like someone wanted an ADV very badly and took an RE to old delhi for some Jugaad magic.
Coming back to the Himalayan, it is still in pre production testing stage and has come a long way from where we have been following it through pictures and spotting done by some of our TeamBHP'ians as well. The TRK502 will cost more than double of the Himalayan so let's just leave it there. Besides the now defunct Hero Impulse this is the only motorcycle that the ADV tourers with tight budget can look up to. Like Urban_Nomad said I don't think the Himalayan looks like a jugaad bike from any angle whatsoever. I mean RE's attention to detail needs to be appreciated with that engine guard, sump guard, pannier frame with hard box attachment, fuel tank frame attachment point, mono shock, twin cradle chassis, 410cc OHC engine, longer front suspension, etc. do not make it look like a jugaad bike for sure.
Old 8th December 2015, 14:32   #390
BHPian

Other than a competent engine and good ride quality, these are the other things i'm wishing that the bike has.
A good tank range. (That external fuel tank seen in one of spy pics is quite cool as well. Hope they'll sell it as an accessory! Will help some of the others in group when required as well! )
and stock panniers that are lockable with the same key as the bike (a la versys lt )
Closed Thread