Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 17th January 2016, 12:03   #436
BHPian

Looking at this picture Arizona Jim just posted has completely changed my perception of what royal Enfield should be doing. A lineage like this vs. what they are currently doing..makes me think twice about whether the Himalayan is actually a good thing.
Old 18th January 2016, 00:32   #437
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Royal Enfield trademarks the name "Himalayan" EDIT: Now unveiled!

^^ Do not lose the forest for the trees my friend

While more cylinders are always welcome, at this stage these are rumours at best. The application for which the Himalayan is intended, a single actually works best. Because there is an age old twin cylinder that exists somewhere does not take away anything from this reportedly affordable and capable adv tourer RE is trying to bring to us

On a side note, all the classic heritage-y stuff is best discussed in the Enfield Classic thread. Let's keep this thread focused on the Himalayan please. Thanks!
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 10:32   #438
Senior - BHPian

There was a similar backlash against RE when they brought out the left side gear shifter with CDI ignition Electra, 5 Speed AVL Aluminium engine on the Tbird 350, etc. The fact is both these models especially the Tbird AVL 350 brought RE out of a brink of extinction. RE has always faced a brickbats when they experimented, but the truth remains that they succeeded by taking chances.

It is known to one and all that RE motorcycles were/are used by local as well as foreign riders for touring in India, especially the Himalayas(see the connection between the place and the name of RE Himalayan). RE might have thought we can capitalize on this by offering these class of tourers with something better with a nice ADV touring package. I am not sure if this motorcycle will face the brickbats(as times have changed for better) from the riding community as the AVL Tbird did once upon a time. What's interesting to see was the same community which ridiculed the AVL Tbird were all praises for AVL Machismo which used the same engine that the Tbird did, but that's a different story for some other thread. RE's seriousness with Himalayan shows that "Change is inevitable" and RE knows that from their past experiences.

Interesting to see that RE going fully analog for the different gauges on the instrument cluster, it looks like an Aeroplane cockpit . They have also skipped the kick starter but I am not sure if they will retain the EFi. I hope they retain it as an option. Nevertheless the day for the launch is approaching and all our doubts will be cleared then. Eagerly waiting for the Himalayan.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 18th January 2016 at 10:36.
navin_v8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 14:15   #439
BHPian

Don't get me wrong, I am indeed waiting to be pleasantly surprised by the Himalayan, what with the shift from pushrod to ohc(finally) and monoshock, hoping this is one spitfire of a bike! My only bugbear is RE doesn't innovate fast enough. I also hope they iron out teething troubles as quickly as bajaj did with the Dukes. Looking forward to this exciting year for Indian biking
Old 19th January 2016, 16:36   #440
BHPian

Any idea if this comes with tubeless tires. I am seriously considering this for this year Leh trip.

-Ijeet
Old 19th January 2016, 18:21   #441
Senior - BHPian

I am 100% sure, the tyres will be tubed. In fact, their choice of tyre .... Ceat Gripp XL, is a tube type tyre

Sealed rims AFAIK come in only high end ADV motorcycles like BMWs and KTMs
Old 19th January 2016, 20:58   #442
BHPian

My friend has already been n done that. So I'll just leave this here..:sly:
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-1453217280468.jpg  

Old 19th January 2016, 23:26   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
Buddy if it was just chopping the fender(s) and putting a mogrip at the front and back then there are a few thousdand(s) of such mods roaming the Himalayas.

What RE is doing is taking the feedback from the lot who tour the Himalayas and building out a bike/platform that can effectively meet all needs of a joe average to go RTW.
adityasiera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 23:36   #444
BHPian

Quote:
LOL .. I'll just leave that here.
The Himalayan and that bike have very little in common . New frame, engine and everything else. What's the connection ?
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 00:03   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So ........ your friend has:

- Put some blingy LED lights
- Got a new handlebar with a strut
- Raised plastic mudguard at the front & rear (Rs 450 each in Delhi by the way @ Pardesi)
- Some more bling (mirrors et al)
- Secura sport front and I cant make out the rear tyre's make

The bike has barely lost any weight

I do wonder what is taking Enfield so long to launch the motorcycle. Go through the above 5 point mods and HEY PRESTO - Himalayan

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 20th January 2016 at 00:05.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 00:21   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
- Put some blingy LED lights
- Got a new handlebar with a strut
- Raised plastic mudguard at the front & rear (Rs 450 each in Delhi by the way @ Pardesi)
- Some more bling (mirrors et al)
- Secura sport front and I cant make out the rear tyre's make
Gold star free flow exhaust. Seriously dude! How could you possibly miss the holy grail of performance mods? That sound adds about 5HP!
man_of_steel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 10:13   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I am 100% sure, the tyres will be tubed. In fact, their choice of tyre .... Ceat Gripp XL, is a tube type tyre

Sealed rims AFAIK come in only high end ADV motorcycles like BMWs and KTMs
True the wired spoke wheel rims sporting tubeless tyres are very expensive and seen on expensive motorcycles. Their make and engineering is itself somewhat complex and uses aluminium alloy instead of steel. If you will notice these kind of rims have a protruding portion at their edges where the spokes are fixed. Among the more affordable ADV tourers the Suzuki Vstrom 650 comes with these kind of wheels with tubeless tyres. There are aftermarket options for those who want to go for these kind of rims. I remember a gentleman who got them imported from Europe to fit it on his custom built 500 CI café racer and paid a bomb for it. But I would be glad if RE offers these wheels as an option(accessory) for those who want to go for tubeless tyres.

Quote:
Mate no offence to your friend but one can find these kind of modifications dime a dozen, the fact is not many have the time and resources to do such modifications. RE is giving us an option to have a proper factory built ADV tourer minus jugaads.
Old 20th January 2016, 11:11   #448
BHPian

No offense taken guys the whole reason why I put it up here is to share what people have been doing already and kick off a discussion man, no offense taken..
Kameshwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 12:22   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No offense taken guys the whole reason why I put it up here is to share what people have been doing already and kick off a discussion man, no offense taken..
Mate these kind of modifications and customizations have already been there since ages. In fact you will see every 3 owners in 10 owning RE motorcycles go for some kind of a modification. You will see numerous examples where people are trying to modify their steeds into a scrambler, bobber, café racer, chopper, off road dirt bike, etc. The icing on the cake is when the manufacturer themselves offer us such models fresh from the factory, for example RE Café Racer 535cc and soon to be launched the ADV tourer Himalayan.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 20th January 2016 at 12:23.
Old 20th January 2016, 13:04   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Mate these kind of modifications and customizations have already been there since ages. In fact you will see every 3 owners in 10 owning RE motorcycles go for some kind of a modification. You will see numerous examples where people are trying to modify their steeds into a scrambler, bobber, café racer, chopper, off road dirt bike, etc. The icing on the cake is when the manufacturer themselves offer us such models fresh from the factory, for example RE Café Racer 535cc and soon to be launched the ADV tourer Himalayan.
Righto! I think you gut the nail right in the head, it is indeed good to see manufacturers keeping their ear to the ground and do what people want. Customer finally getting to become King. Can't wait for a test ride.. BTW just took delivery of the Duke and it is a beast 😀 sorry the update is off topic but couldn't help myself
Closed Thread