Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 21st January 2016, 20:23   #466
Senior - BHPian

God damn this bike looks good! Why is Enfield so anemic on power is something I don't understand. This thing is begging for a 50hp power plant.

Well well, more choices for us this year... Am in the market for a good adv tourer and is going to be fun trying to make up my mind between this and a purpose built 390...somehow the Enfield gremlins scare me .

And folks considering this... Isn't the mojo on your dataset at all?

Last edited by Red Liner : 21st January 2016 at 20:35.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 20:53   #467
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Royal Enfield trademarks the name "Himalayan" EDIT: Now unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Am in the market for a good adv tourer and is going to be fun trying to make up my mind between this and a purpose built 390...somehow the Enfield gremlins scare me .
Same here. Looking for a good adventure tourer and something more powerful than the 390.

I understand there is a Benelli TRK 502 that is getting launched as well in that class.
Old 21st January 2016, 21:14   #468
Senior - BHPian

Totally OT.

I think the benelli will launch a tad lower than the versys. Expect it to be on road under 6 is my guess with 50hp on tap.

Secondly have read an extremely bad horror story about a very experienced over land tourer from India who picked up the 600 benelli and is extremely unimpressed with the long term fit and finish on the bike and the service capabilities of dsk. He is NOT recommending it at all.

What goes well for the Himalayan are the long travel suspension, 21 inch front tyre, spoke wheels, touring posture and a pillion that looks usable, and a reasonable price point.

The KTM has got a raving mad engine and if prepped well can be a light weight touring machine.

The mojo looks like it's in between. Neither doing what the Himalayan seems to be, nor hold a candle to the KTM.

Similar price points. Interesting times.

Last edited by Red Liner : 21st January 2016 at 21:22.
Old 21st January 2016, 22:25   #469
Senior - BHPian

These are comments from the person responsible for the video as well as the print we have seen on the previous page:

"25 BHP may seem underpowered, but trust me, you wont miss the power once you sit on it and get spoiled by the handling and comfort"
Urban_Nomad is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 00:52   #470
BHPian

Don't know if this has been shared before... here's a blog by Mr. Siddhartha Lal himself on RE Himalayan. Wonderful words.

Link

Quote:
Siddhartha Lal, CEO of Royal Enfield, writes on his experience riding the Himalayan through its 'natural habitat' in the hills. Following is his account of the journey and the adventure with it.

The idea of the Royal Enfield Himalayan has been 60 years in the making. With an unbroken heritage of 115 years, Royal Enfield has been in India since 1955. The Bullet was first brought to India to be used by the Indian Army in the Himalayas, and its success in these tough terrains is the foundation of Royal Enfield's enduring relationship with adventurers in India.

I have been riding in the Himalayas for over twenty years now. It is the most gorgeous landscape - with miles of barren stretches of land, snow, daunting mountains and passes. The light air and the densely bejeweled night sky connects me to the universe like nothing else does. My first long ride in the Himalayas was in 2010 when I was riding with my friends, and we got stuck in a small village for many days due to the flash floods that wrecked the Leh region. While we could not complete the trip, our single biggest insight was that the best motorcycle for the Himalayas is not one that tries to dominate its landscape, but one that is able to go with its flow.

Large adventure tourers that currently define this category, do not fare well in the Himalayas as they are very heavy, extremely complicated, and not really designed for this environment. They guzzle high octane fuel in a region where there are few petrol stations and the fuel is often adulterated; they come to a stop if there is an issue with their electronics - and unlike the European conditions that they are built for - there is no RAC or AA breakdown service in sight; if the motorcycle falls in deep slush, it takes three people to lift it. And anyways, most people who aren't 6 feet tall find these motorcycles very intimidating - so that rules out 99% of Indians!
LordSharan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 10:12   #471
Senior - BHPian

Wow Wow Wow! Awesome launch by RE's marketing team I must say. These videos will grab a lot of eyeballs and seems like it will pull in hordes of people to their showroom. What could be one asking for when RE has roped in our very own CS Santosh for testing the bike(the first Indian to participate and compete in Rallye Dakar) who needs no mention when it comes to off road and rally riding expertise. I believe RE has made a great move by choosing CS Santosh as the face of RE Himalayan, it will be mutually beneficial to both.

Coming to the motorcycle in question, it sure looks good and purpose built for doing those jumps and rides through off road trails. As one could see speed has nothing to do with off road trails so power with respect to speed does not really matter when one is doing about 40-50KMPH(being optimistic) on off road trails or doing crawling speeds on non existent roads. Unless one is doing Rallye Dakar or Raid The Himalaya, etc. power with respect to speed does not really matter. What does matter is the torque delivery in the bottom and mid range sections. BUT since this is an ADV tourer and will be used on the tarmac more than 70% of the time it would have been great if RE would've bumped up the power to around 30-35 BHP with 30-35 NM of torque. Going by Sid Lal's word that it can do 100 KMPH(enough for Indian roads) comfortably all day is somewhat reassuring but surely not enough for riders who want more power. As it can be witnessed we Indian riders have now started considering 20-25 BHP as a minimum benchmark given that we have most of the affordable performance motorcycles making power in that range. Nevertheless a Brilliant and Brave effort by RE to address the ADV tourer class of motorcycling enthusiasts and riders. I give this one a .

But hey! I wont break my fixed deposit so soon . I will patiently wait for the 750cc parallel twin engine to make its way into the Himalayan. Till then my fixed deposit would've compounded to buy me a 750cc Himalayan. LOL.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 22nd January 2016 at 10:15.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 10:22   #472
BHPian

Wow, great write up by Sid. Advantages of having an enthusiast CEO truly makes a difference.
Old 22nd January 2016, 10:51   #473
Senior - BHPian

Some of the excerpts about the Himalayan from Sid Lal's experience while testing it:
  • "Stripped of all non essential parts to keep it light and agile, the Himalayan is handsome in a naked and spartan way". Looks like the motorcycle weight is light enough to be picked up as claimed by Sid Lal as it has shed its weight and is more utilitarian.
  • "To start even if the battery is dead (seriously, you can push start it and put on your headlamp even if the battery is missing!)". Does this mean the motorcycle will come equipped with the good old CDI unit and a carburettor.
  • "In line with Royal Enfield's traditional long stroke engine characteristics, the all new engine delivers high torque and usable power at lower RPMs. This makes for smooth riding in higher gears at lower speeds, making it easy to climb hills, or to maneuver through traffic". This means the motorcycle has retained the legendary Long Stroke and torquey characteristic of an ideal RE engine. Also it can ride through dense city traffic as well as cruise on the highways is a welcome given that not many in India can afford to have multiple bikes in their garage. This is one do-it-all bike.
  • "Fewer moving parts with modern materials and aggregates means that the engine is low maintenance and very efficient, and can go 10,000 kilometers between oil change." I hope this works as intended if yes then we have a real winner here.
  • "In addition to great off-road abilities, we have designed the Himalayan to have impeccable on-road manners as well." Reiterates my above point of a do-it-all bike.
  • "Equipped with suitable tyres for off-road and on-road performance, the Himalayan has a 21-inch front wheel, high ground clearance and long suspension travel." Amazing configuration of wheels and suspension as demanded by an ADV tourer. Claimed to have gradability, high ground clearance and beefy suspension. All of these are a must have for an ADV tourer.
  • "Luggage has been designed integrally into the Himalayan, with hard and soft side pannier options, a rear carrier and innovative front jerry can mounts for extra fuel and water." Again very good features and a must have for an ADV tourer IMO.
  • "An optimal seat height combined with ergonomic handlebar and footpegs position make for a comfortable upright riding posture, while the windscreen protects the rider from the elements." Very good ergonomics at least on paper and the upright riding posture is akin to most of the ADV tourer class motorcycles. Addition of a windscreen is a welcome add on which will cut wind fatigue.
  • "The low centralised mass of the engine and a slim long range petrol tank (15 litres) sculpted with knee recesses, allow for better stability and handling even while standing on the foot pegs while riding demanding mountain trails." Has a fair enough capacity fuel tank at 15 litres(+ option for loading Jerry cans of course. I think the stock fuel tank might give a tank range of around 350-400 kms which is cool. I have stood on my Tbird AVL's foot pegs while water fording and riding on non existent roads and believe me it gives a lot of confidence and comfort from those bone jarring bumps. Again these qualities are akin to ADV tourers. Very good addition IMO.
  • "Most recently, in January this year I took out the production ready Himalayan for a long 800 kilometers ride from Goa to Hampi and then to Bangalore. I rode largely on smaller back roads, and took the motorcycle on forest and off-road trails as well. I was riding 12 hours a day for two days and I realized that (despite my age!) I did not feel tired on the Himalayan." The comfort part while cruising on highways as well as riding on backside country roads are taken care of as per Sid Lal's experience.
  • "On the highways, I felt like I could ride forever at the sweet-spot of 80-110 kilometers an hour." This means an average speed of about 100 KMPH is done comfortably and with ease. Not bad at all.
  • "It's flat torque curve and accessible seat height and long suspension travel mean that it's a wonderful machine for potholed urban jungles as well!". Again reiterating that it is a do-it-all bike and by mentioning about the seat height accessibility he means an average heighted Indian will find it accessible which is wonderful. I should mention this that I am a slave of Flat Torque Curve engines.
  • The final wrap up by Sid Lal says it all, "The Himalayan is the start of a new and very important chapter for Royal Enfield, and I believe for all those who long for a simple and capable go-anywhere motorcycle that enjoys adventure as much as you." I wish RE all the very best.

Although some of the above mentioned excerpts needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, still it is an honest effort by RE to give ADV riders an option from RE's stable.

Mods kindly merge with previous post. Apologies for creating back to back posts. Thanks

Last edited by navin_v8 : 22nd January 2016 at 10:55.
navin_v8 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:16   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post

[*]"To start even if the battery is dead (seriously, you can push start it and put on your headlamp even if the battery is missing!)". Does this mean the motorcycle will come equipped with the good old CDI unit and a carburettor.[*][b]
Now that is a Rider friendly / easy maintenance motorcycle that you can rely upon to take you home. But push starting a motorcycle off road is not a cakewalk. They shouldn't have lost the kicker.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:45   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Now that is a Rider friendly / easy maintenance motorcycle that you can rely upon to take you home. But push starting a motorcycle off road is not a cakewalk. They shouldn't have lost the kicker.
You could plop it on the main stand, then push the rear wheel with a good amount of force while the bike is in first gear with the clutch lever in. Though you'd need two people. One for pushing the wheel and the other for the clutch lever. Or you've got long hands and you could do both at once.

Source: Saw this happen in my college on a FZ-16. It looked weird, but it worked.

About the bike, so far so good. Its funny how RE's marketing campaign for the Himalayan is along the same lines as of Honda's Africa Twin launch.
maker_of_things is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:59   #476
Senior - BHPian

Saw this message on one of the whats app groups and double checked at 1:53.Did the foot peg just break on landing?
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-img20160122wa0001.jpg  

Attached Images

rakesh_r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 12:03   #477
BHPian

Excited to see the details emerge. It surely looks like a good option for the ones looking out for proper touring machine under the 2 lakh mark. Although they say that the quality has improved by a whole lot, I doubt it. Saw the CS Santosh video in and noticed that the right side foot peg broke when he landed Doesn't inspire confidence. But, benefit of doubt can be given to Royal Enfield as the bike must be a prototype and the said part may be changed on the production bike.

See the hanging right leg and the broken foot peg circled.
The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-untitled.jpg
amansanc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 12:11   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Saw this message on one of the whats app groups and double checked at 1:53.Did the foot peg just break on landing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
See the hanging right leg and the broken foot peg circled.
Attachment 1463904
Maybe, but the video states that it was under testing. Even the other video states the prototypes during testing, hence I think they must have rectified it noting all the bad points, after all it was testing.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 12:14   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Maybe, but the video states that it was under testing. Even the other video states the prototypes during testing, hence I think they must have rectified it noting all the bad points, after all it was testing.
Yes,such incidents happen during testing. This should not be used to decide the quality of the final product.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 12:39   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes,such incidents happen during testing. This should not be used to decide the quality of the final product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Although they say that the quality has improved by a whole lot, I doubt it. Saw the CS Santosh video in and noticed that the right side foot peg broke when he landed Doesn't inspire confidence. But, benefit of doubt can be given to Royal Enfield as the bike must be a prototype and the said part may be changed on the production bike.
Quote:
I agree with all of you mates. But that's the whole point of testing and who better than Rallye Dakar rider CS Santosh who can push the bikes to their absolute limits. I am sure his inputs must have gone in while ironing out the chinks in Himalayan's armour while testing. As all of you say we can give a benefit of doubt to RE as this happened during the testing stage. It also shows how the bike was pushed to its limits. I admire CS Santosh's composure and control when the foot peg broke even when he is hard landing from the jump.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 22nd January 2016 at 12:41.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread