Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 9th February 2016, 20:49   #601
BANNED

Default re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maker_of_things View Post

Whereas this is the half duplex frame of the Himalayan.
Thanks for the image. The "tweaking" of the downtube is clear.

But it is also clear that it is a reworked GT frame and not a new one.

Even the swingarm pivot point looks the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
The videos you are seeing now are his creations
Just curious, was the peg snapping off bit edited in on purpose?

Quote:
BTW; What have you based your views on its mediocrity on? Ridden one yet?
Read anything I posted about the ride?

Quote:
RE's FI tech has been rather patchy. I have heard many a folks actually reverting to carb.
You were asking about mediocrity?

Quote:
Why do you care? If a manufacturer's product does not meet the required emission laws and other sundry legislation, they cant do business. Its REs headache to make that happen, not mine and not yours
Nice attitude towards the environment. RE going to check on your bike everytime you change your carb setting?

Quote:
ABS would have been nice. It saved my bacon just today while riding to work and a few other times. I think its a cost thing, nothing else.
Should I mention mediocrity again, or are you seeing the pattern?

Cheers

Ride safe.
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 21:00   #602
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

AH!! The classic (not the bike) debate between Bullet haters and Bullet Owners.

I fall in the later. Don't have a Bullet since the past 16 years and will not buy one in the near future. Why not? Simply because I am rich relatively to what I was when I owned the Bullets. I can now afford a costlier bike that I would love riding and going to far away lands. Costlier directly means better bike with more gizmos and stuff.

But, over the past years. RE is trying and trying like a true blue sun burned biker to get better. And they have got better, much much better then what they were when the last time I owned a Bullet.

Not there yet, but they will get there. They are now innovating, going head on with R&D centres that have multimillion worth of research and vendor backup. Against bikes 3-4 times their cost and doing good.

Himalayan is a one such product. I absolutely love the way it has come out. Looks imposing and no frills, exactly like I would want a adventure bike.

Today when I look at the Himalayan, I think I can do all of it again.

PS: Try dropping those Beemers,Triumphs,whatever with ABS in a 2 ft pond. Trust me you will get why the HIMALAYAN, in a flash.

Last edited by GTO : 10th February 2016 at 10:46. Reason: Please keep the discussions polite. Thanks
Spitfire is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 21:22   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Thanks for the image. The "tweaking" of the downtube is clear.

But it is also clear that it is a reworked GT frame and not a new one
Yup. Clear as mud

Quote:
Just curious, was the peg snapping off bit edited in on purpose?
I dont know. I will ask and post back for sure

Quote:
Read anything I posted about the ride?
No. But your comments would have folks; including me, believe otherwise. Hence the question

Quote:
You were asking about mediocrity?
Every single manufacturer has their strong points and weak ones. Smart ones play to their strengths. And why the carb-hate; and I dont mean the carbs that makes you frumpy (see what i did there?). Many awesome bikes even in phoren run on carbs and continue to be awesome. DRZ 400 and KLR come to mind

Quote:
Nice attitude towards the environment. RE going to check on your bike everytime you change your carb setting?
No. RE going to check my bike when I put a free flow exhaust and go to Race Dynamics for a remap?

Quote:
Should I mention mediocrity again, or are you seeing the pattern?
ABS would be good to have for sure. However, if a bike without ABS automatically makes it mediocre, then in the 250 - 400 cc space only the Katoom and CBR are worthy and rest are ant piss. But we know that not to be the case, dont we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Some dude actually wants ABS on his adventure bike. HOLY HILARIOUS STUFF!! You are way out. Way out man. This bike is not for you. Period
As a fellow enfield basher, I too am happy about the progress RE has shown with the Himalayan

But why is ABS a no no for an ADV bike? Sure, when you are in the gravely dirty bits ABS will probably help you go over the edge of the mountain and into the abyss much quicker. But this is not the bike's only playing field. It will spend most of the time on tarmac. Why would you not want ABS, as long as you can turn it off?

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 9th February 2016 at 21:34.
Urban_Nomad is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 22:29   #604
BHPian

Interesting effort from RE. I'm admittedly on the Bullet Bashing Club side of the fence but this is the first of their bikes that I'd actually like to ride and see if I like it.

It is great to note that they have finally switched to OHC in place of their traditional pushrods and as well as their effort to reduce engine vibration.

I do however have some gripes:

* The engine seems all too familiar, never mind the black paint.

* The frame is reworked but is much like that of the CGT.

* Their traditional exhaust header remains unchanged and even runs along the bottom of the frame pretty much like every other RE bike out there that has evolved from the Bullet. Not so hot for an adventure tourer, never mind the new colour/finish. Not so new either.

* A 5 speed gearbox on a purpose-built tourer? That doesn't sound right. I'm wondering if it really is an all-new engine or a reworked crankcase which has a limitation of 5 gears?

* Why is a projector headlight unit not standard fitment? I get the simplicity spiel but this IMO is a glaring omission.

* Weight and bulk seem to be a concern. In the promo video with CS Santosh (CSS) 'torture testing' the bike, the bottom frame almost makes contact with the ground after the jump where the footpeg snapped off. The bike seems to be rather ungainly and out of place doing those jumps. (Methinks the RE boffins should not have put these clips into circulation - it shows the bike in rather bad light). The Himalayan is hardly going to be ridden by the vast majority like CSS has ridden it. Also, CSS is more like a brand-ambassador for the bike and not voicing his independent opinion. He's hardly going to criticize the bike and point out its flaws, is he? I'd love to know what he *really* thinks about it.

* 25 bhp and 32 Nm seem low. It looks like this bike will offer a good mileage - RE seems to be taking no chances with the mainstream Indian market mentality. On the flip side, if this translates into smooth, tractable power and vibe-free operation at 100+ cruising speeds, it may just be worth it.

* In the interests of simplicity RE has chosen not to offer EFI. That is fine, but are they also going to offer a factory option/solution for owners who choose to take their bikes to the higher rarified reaches? They should, for they've used Leh in their launch campaign.

RE should focus on getting their production models totally sorted and not make scapegoats out of their initial customers while making every effort to shake off their legacy and start anew.
Old 9th February 2016, 23:17   #605
BANNED

Quote:

No. But your comments would have folks; including me, believe otherwise. Hence the question
By that logic, it's only logical for me to ask: Have you ridden the bike yet?

Quote:
Every single manufacturer has their strong points and weak ones. Smart ones play to their strengths.
When FI becomes inevitable due to emissions, what will happen then?

Quote:
No. RE going to check my bike when I put a free flow exhaust and go to Race Dynamics for a remap?

Putting freeflow exhausts and remaps for road use is against the law.
Yeah, I realize lot of people do it. If you do too, I hope you realize you are one of them.

Quote:
ABS would be good to have for sure.
Pretty soon, it will be mandatory by law.

For those who have been there, and done that, way back in the 90's, and for some reason would like to continue to do it like it is still the 90's, Praise the Lord, for RE has answered your prayers.

By the way, when you are having fun dropping bikes into ponds and such, try not to pollute the water bodies with your broken oil coolers and such, please.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
Old 10th February 2016, 00:08   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Yup. Clear as mud
ABS would be good to have for sure. However, if a bike without ABS automatically makes it mediocre, then in the 250 - 400 cc space only the Katoom and CBR are worthy and rest are ant piss. But we know that not to be the case, dont we?
I think you can safely extend that list upto 700cc, and still have no other bikes added to that list!

Truth is apart from KTM, i doubt if any other bike even twice the price has any of its features!

Now coming back to the topic, the Himalayan is a simple bike. Its not perfect, not by a long shot! But then again, no bike is!
At its price band, it has no competition. Please stop comparing it with bikes twice its price or more!

Of course, it could have had more power( 50/100/200bhp), more torque, more tech, more accessories. Just that it'll also cost a few lakhs more!
And i don't think RE is trying to compete in that segment.

For achieving their price target, I'm sure RE would have had to make some tough choices. Now are these compromises too much for the market? Only time will tell.

At least one thing is for sure, for the first time, RE has come out with a new product. They haven't followed the heard. They haven't developed a commuter bike or one more classic with incremental improvements.
What they have made is a smart product catering to a huge market with little competition. Even when compared to the undisputed market leader in its price range, it has enough differentiation to stand out and hold its ground.

I'm no RE fan, i'll not touch any other RE bike with a barge pole. It simply doesn't strike a cord with me. But the himalayan does seem like a very smart and honest attempt. Even then, i'm making no assumptions till the bikes reach the showroom!
N.r.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 00:09   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
I do however have some gripes:

* The engine seems all too familiar, never mind the black paint.
I don't get what you mean by "familiar". If you mean that it looks like a UCE, then sure it does. But I suspect most of the big capacity air-cooled long stroke engines do look like this.
Quote:
* The frame is reworked but is much like that of the CGT.
Yep, the chassis is based on the GT dual cradle frame modified as a half duplex frame. You're more than welcome to check my previous post on this thread.

Quote:
* Their traditional exhaust header remains unchanged and even runs along the bottom of the frame pretty much like every other RE bike out there that has evolved from the Bullet. Not so hot for an adventure tourer, never mind the new colour/finish. Not so new either.
If you'd look closely, the exhaust header is not the same. It just looks like the old ones. Last time I checked, most of the motorcycles have their exhausts which run along the bottom of the frame.

Quote:
* A 5 speed gearbox on a purpose-built tourer? That doesn't sound right. I'm wondering if it really is an all-new engine or a reworked crankcase which has a limitation of 5 gears?
Do you have something against 5 speed gearboxes? Gear ratios are far more important than the number of gears.

Quote:
* Why is a projector headlight unit not standard fitment? I get the simplicity spiel but this IMO is a glaring omission.
I ask myself the same question.

Quote:
* Weight and bulk seem to be a concern. In the promo video with CS Santosh (CSS) 'torture testing' the bike, the bottom frame almost makes contact with the ground after the jump where the footpeg snapped off. The bike seems to be rather ungainly and out of place doing those jumps. (Methinks the RE boffins should not have put these clips into circulation - it shows the bike in rather bad light). The Himalayan is hardly going to be ridden by the vast majority like CSS has ridden it. Also, CSS is more like a brand-ambassador for the bike and not voicing his independent opinion. He's hardly going to criticize the bike and point out its flaws, is he? I'd love to know what he *really* thinks about it.
To quote you, "The Himalayan is hardly going to be ridden by the vast majority like CSS has ridden it". I think you've answered you're own question. It was a torture test. And to know what he *really* thinks about it, send him a PM on twitter or instagram. He usually replies.

Quote:
* 25 bhp and 32 Nm seem low. It looks like this bike will offer a good mileage - RE seems to be taking no chances with the mainstream Indian market mentality. On the flip side, if this translates into smooth, tractable power and vibe-free operation at 100+ cruising speeds, it may just be worth it.
Exactly!

Quote:
* In the interests of simplicity RE has chosen not to offer EFI. That is fine, but are they also going to offer a factory option/solution for owners who choose to take their bikes to the higher rarified reaches? They should, for they've used Leh in their launch campaign.
The prototypes seemed to work fine on the Himalayas, when a bunch of people from RE including some I personally know took it there. I doubt it should function any different on the production version.

Quote:
RE should focus on getting their production models totally sorted and not make scapegoats out of their initial customers while making every effort to shake off their legacy and start anew.
Agreed. RE has had some troubles with the first batch of owners generally being their beta-testers of the bike. But things have improved lately. I have a 2012 Classic 500, and she has run wonderfully so far. No leaks, no sudden death. To think, the bike always gives tell-tales whenever there might be any issue. Its upto you to listen to it or to ignore it. And that makes all the difference.

Quote:
When FI becomes inevitable due to emissions, what will happen then?
There will be an FI version, what else? RE's current crop of motorcycles being sold in the US or UK are sold with FI and not carbs. If Himalayan is launched in those markets, which I suspect they will, it will be sold with FI to meet their emission norms. It wouldn't be a challenge to phase out carbs and bring FI when BS-VI is adopted in India.

Quote:
For those who have been there, and done that, way back in the 90's, and for some reason would like to continue to do it like it is still the 90's, Praise the Lord, for RE has answered your prayers.
Hahah thanks. I'm old school, I know. And for those who are in with the new times, they're a lot of manufacturers offering adv bikes that would suit their taste. Heck even the Honda AT will be assembled in India to keep the costs low.

Quote:
By the way, when you are having fun dropping bikes into ponds and such, try not to pollute the water bodies with your broken oil coolers and such, please.
Just out of curiosity, do you have an electric bike? Perhaps a Brammo Empulse?

About the ABS bit, do refer this video:

Cheers
Nick
maker_of_things is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 10:39   #608
Senior - BHPian

That it's a great effort from Team RE is an understatement. I totally agree with Schumi that it's a very honest effort though a quirky looking bike. What it may lack in looks and the engine parts, it fulfills in its practical approach and imho is a honest mountain rider custom built to Indian requirements. I would definitely like to have something similar in my garage. 2 Thumbs Up to Siddharth and RE.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 10:54   #609
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: No need to get hot under the collar, guys. Keep things cool & calm. Thanks!
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 11:16   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Quite interesting how a bike which is essentially 95% a Classic 350/500 is referred to as a "purpose-built" cruiser! .
I was only being polite and generous :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
I am a bit confused here if it was the RD175 or the RD350, if it was indeed the RD175

Please do not say looks as that comes last when talking about ADV motorcycles.
Yeah maybe I got the numbers wrong on the Rajdoot.

On the Himalayan, my entire first post was on the looks of the bike and "perceived" reliability. What's wrong with wanting a bike to look good and perform as well??? I have not test-ridden the bike and will not comment on the performance till I do so. But I do not like the LOOK of the bike.
Old 10th February 2016, 11:25   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
On the Himalayan, my entire first post was on the looks of the bike and "perceived" reliability. What's wrong with wanting a bike to look good and perform as well??? I have not test-ridden the bike and will not comment on the performance till I do so. But I do not like the LOOK of the bike.
Mate I respect your view of not liking the looks. I mean looks are subjective like one man's fairy is another man's witch. I take a cue from what Sid Lal, CSS and others who are closely associated with this motorcycle have shared. It is more like a review from the experts which is of course left to the individuals to believe it or not. The fact that they are saying it has a 10000 kms service interval speaks volumes about the engine reliability and toughness. Also new RE motorcycles have started coming with 2 years warranty instead of the earlier 1 year warranty. Test drive is very important before putting in your hard earned money. Also a couple of riders I interacted with complained about the quirky looks, I smiled and replied it is an ADV Tourer and has that "make it" or "break it" looks.
Old 10th February 2016, 11:47   #612
BHPian

To add to all that has been said. Enfield themselves have said that it is honest styling, form follows function. Every thing on the motorcycle is there for a purpose.
I own a 11 year old AVL 350 TBird, which has been thoroughly reliable over the last 50k kms. Zero electrical failures, runs on the original r&r unit and flasher unit. One valve train overhaul due to spurious oil. Only thing that bothered me was the chain and sprockets as they would last exactly 13k km, the last one seems better.
I am looking at this bike as a possible replacement.
PS: the chrome and paint still shines like new.
Old 10th February 2016, 12:05   #613
BHPian

Quote:
I think you can safely extend that list upto 700cc, and still have no other bikes added to that list!
Hey, at 650 they have versys with abs

Wow!! Some nice debate on the last few pages as it usually is when it comes to RE Vs the rest.
I feel we are jumping to conclusions too soon. Let there be test rides, and let the bike be on road for 6-8 months to get a good understanding on how good or otherwise it is.

Its a commendable effort by RE to break away from their stereotype and conceive the Himalayan. I am sure a lot of us are very excited about the bike and wish it good success.

Personally, its a sense of deja wu'.
Going back in time, 2009, when the first pics of the teal green classic 500 were revealed, i fell in love instantly. How desperately i was waiting for it to be launched in india. When it did, i instantly went ahead and booked one and went through excruciating waiting period. Once the short-lived honeymoon was over, the chinks started showing. The Team BHP C5 thread by Randhawa captures all those niggles beautifully. In the first year itself, RE did identify about 57 issues with the bike and tried rectifying them over a period of time. And mind you, C5 was not a fresh launch in india, it was launched a year prior to that in international market first.

I am hoping RE is learnt from their experience and applied it to the Himalayan development. Some of it does show with all the rigorous testing videos. I will reserve my judgement till i get to ride one for a fair distance. I am excited about the bike, but am not going to buy one. Not anytime soon, as will wait for about a year to see how the bike evolves over time. If positive, i may trade my duke 390 for Himalayan.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 12:25   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Personally, its a sense of deja wu'.
Going back in time, 2009, when the first pics of the teal green classic 500 were revealed, i fell in love instantly. How desperately i was waiting for it to be launched in india. When it did, i instantly went ahead and booked one and went through excruciating waiting period. Once the short-lived honeymoon was over, the chinks started showing. The Team BHP C5 thread by Randhawa captures all those niggles beautifully. In the first year itself, RE did identify about 57 issues with the bike and tried rectifying them over a period of time. And mind you, C5 was not a fresh launch in india, it was launched a year prior to that in international market first.

I am hoping RE is learnt from their experience and applied it to the Himalayan development. Some of it does show with all the rigorous testing videos. I will reserve my judgement till i get to ride one for a fair distance. I am excited about the bike, but am not going to buy one. Not anytime soon, as will wait for about a year to see how the bike evolves over time. If positive, i may trade my duke 390 for Himalayan.
Hi nasirkaka. I've been following Randhawa's Classic 500 thread for a long time now. Even before I got my team-bhp membership! It was extremely horrifying to see the issues you went through especially the wiring harness change! Sad that you had such a bad experience with the Classic.

The Duke 390 is an amazing bike! I was considering the 390, but it felt tiny when I sat on it.

Back to the Himalayan, its interesting to see how it turns out to be. Especially after the amount of testing over lakhs of kms it has gone through (had they took the Classics on such extensive tests, they might have had sorted at least half of the issues during the testing phase itself!).

Btw, did you get the Versys 650?

Cheers
Nick
Old 10th February 2016, 12:47   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Btw, did you get the Versys 650?
Not yet, they have promised delivery this friday, so keeping fingers crossed.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread