Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 18th March 2016, 09:33   #796
BHPian

Default Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Crude looking
I don't find it so, but that's a personal opinion.

Quote:
agricultural engine with poor bottom end
The engine isn't as powerful as the Duke 390, but it isn't meant to be. It's more of a workhorse engine. It'll be slower compared to a 390, but it will get to out of those sticky situations with its great bottom end torque, which according to you is poor.

Contrary to popular opinion, more horsepower doesn't equal better performance always.[/quote]

Quote:
bad brakes
The brakes are good.

Quote:
kate moss front tyres
Dual sport tyres look like that, because you need optimum grip on both off-road and on road conditions. It's not a full blown off-road tyres and neither the stickiest onroad tyre, instead it's a good compromise between off-road and onroad performance.

Quote:
and a too low seat are the attributes I have gathered from the posts here about this 'product' from RE.
A lower seat height has been kept keeping in mind the average height of the Indian rider so that it isn't intimidating for them.

Quote:
And where is the ABS for which the Mojo was pilloried?
In development, will be here soon along with FI. By next year hopefully. IMHO, I won't go for an ABS version for the Himalayan unless they provide the option to switch it off.

Quote:
Fans will ride an RE made pump set with ball bearings for wheels if only to prove their undying loyalty.
We get it, you're not a fan.
maker_of_things is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 10:00   #797
BHPian

@maker of things
I am not an RE fan, nor have i owned an RE ever and done only one or two couple of minute test rides. But what does make me proud is that its an indian "coordinated and owned" effort. It is certainly not the best but it carries my flag and thats important for me and i hope to a lot of other people
ATUL SINGH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 10:17   #798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Sir, concept-wise well pointed, using technologies like Gyro sensor etc.
Well, I have been closely watching this thread, and right now I actually logged in to comment that this bike seems even missing a 12v socket ! Ideally, RE should have integrated a 'water-proof' variant of 12v socket, and then even put some marketing slogan!
I would be wary of that. IMHO such things are never very easy to implement on our motorbikes, due to the need for upgrading the alternator.

These links summarize the kind of stories I used to hear from my friends a few years back about running a cigarette lighter mod on their bullets:
http://royalenfield.com/community/fo.../?topicid=3610

Portable charging is a great thing to have, but it is practically nice to have not must have in the era of inexpensive 20,000 mah power banks.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 11:13   #799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Shouldn't this be easy with all the sensors available today? Fit two flood LED lights and then all you need is a gyro sensor to figure out which side the bike is leaning, and it can automatically switch on the respective light!
Slight OT: Adaptive lighting using gyro sensors are already present in the likes of BMW K1600GT, KTM 1290 Adventure etc. The 1290 implements a system more similar to what you have mentioned. Lights up separate segments of lights on either side of the bike depending on the lean angle.

Why it is not implemented on out humble bikes is easy to guess. Cost. That single feature may bump the price of the bike by a good %!
Old 18th March 2016, 11:18   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I would be wary of that. IMHO such things are never very easy to implement on our motorbikes, due to the need for upgrading the alternator.
I remember reading somewhere that Himalayan has a 170W alternator. If that is the case then we need not worry about adding some more load on the system, at least I suppose so. The entire lighting system should total up to about a maximum of 120 or 130W. But in real life situation it wouldn't cross 100W of continuous power I suppose. I don't know how much the ignition would take up,should not be more than 20W. So that will still leave additional capacity. This is my guess.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 11:59   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
... but I heard that faint tappet sound when revved a little hard. Engine note is obviously muffled, but not much more than a stock pipe UCE. Throttle response is good and the engine is quite rev happy....
Have heard about this Engine clatter from quite a few of my friends who test rode the bike. This is actually surprising as there are no tappets involved in this engine since it is an SOHC.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 13:00   #802
BHPian

Is that discoloration of the bend pipe on the test bike or it comes as standard off the shelf ?

Generally other RE bikes develop that kind of colour after a while.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-bend-pipe-2.jpg  

Old 18th March 2016, 13:08   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Is that discoloration of the bend pipe on the test bike or it comes as standard off the shelf ?

Generally other RE bikes develop that kind of colour after a while.
All bikes do that after a bit of running in. Not a big deal.
Old 18th March 2016, 13:28   #804
BHPian

Quote:
4. The more time you spend on the H, the more the 390 starts to feel its younger or more athletic brother- maybe psychological given that the engines are apparently the same, just long stroked to reduce compression, and other 'stuff' Maybe I relate to its ability to fly over bad patches of road, and actually good you brought it up- I think this one would beat a 390 in terms of comfort and ease of riding- a better seat, and the fact that you could actually watch the scenery at 40kmph with 2500rpm- and be comfortable-
I was riding a first gen C5 and found it to be under-powered. Over a period of 4 years, did manage to bump the power by converting it to a 535 cc engine with wossner forged pistons, carb conversion with mikuni tm 32 flat slide, uni pod filter, polished head, custom exhaust and what not. But handling and braking was a bit jittery. Later, jumped onto 390 and been happily riding it since then.
Now, with the Himalayan on offer, a part of me wants to trade the 390 for the H. (life takes a full circle). As you very well pointed out, a comfortable suspension with decent low end torque is what is pulling me towards it. Not a big fan of rough and vibey 390 engine & the hard suspension with hard seat. Also the gearing which demands frequent shifts, esp in low speed city riding. If i jump, i may definitely miss the mad pull of the 390 and light weight. I feel we may have some scope to tweak the power output on the H, especially considering its a relatively simple tech engine with a carb based fueling. Hope the H does not fare too bad in handling and braking dept in comparison. No hurry this time, will test ride it a few times and take a call.
Old 18th March 2016, 14:15   #805
BHPian

I don't know what this engine clatter issue is. If someone who's yet to test ride has any engine clatter, please record and share it in this thread. It'd be helpful.

No one from the media ride mentioned this and neither did a couple of my friends, who are pretty avid motorists and mechanical engineers.

It seems it's some issue related to varying driving style on test rides. I myself am guilty of thrashing the test ride bikes, something I would never do on my own.

I have yet to take a test ride, postponed it since I've an interview tomorrow. If I find any such issues I'll surely post a recording of it too.
Old 18th March 2016, 16:28   #806
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Called up Hridaan Motors, Chinchwad, Pune day before yesterday just after the prices were revealed to enquire if they have a Himalayan on display and if the test rides have started. The SA told me to come to their showroom for a test ride anytime after 16th. So today, I rode my 2012 Classic 500 Desert Storm to Hridaan Motors and saw the bike.

The Himalayan looks utilitarian yet purposeful, the first impressions were good. The seat - both the saddle and the pillion - felt extremely comfortable, the footpegs and cycle parts felt durable and strong, the instrument panel looked smart. After a quick 360 degree view of the bike, I asked for a test ride.

The SA took my Driving license and entered my contact details for their database, post which I was given a riding jacket and helmet. I was carrying my riding gear anyway, but it was impressive that they were focused on riding gear and safety. Promotional activity or not, this is the first time I was offered a riding jacket while test riding a non-CBU motorcycle.

I was made to wait for 10 minutes as the bike had gone for a wash as per the SA. I was plain excited to test ride the bike so I impatiently waited outside the showroom under the sun. Later the SA came and said they won't be able to give any test ride as washing will take a longer time. I was ready to wait for sometime and communicated the same to the SA. Even a 30 min wait was ok for me. But he said the test ride will not be possible today as the bike has gone for washing and it will take the whole day. Now who the hell would want to believe that the bike will take the whole day to get a wash !

Damn, after all the drama, I was not given a test ride after all the riding gear offer and stuff. I was asked to come some other time some other day.

Old 18th March 2016, 16:38   #807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maker_of_things View Post
I don't know what this engine clatter issue is. If someone who's yet to test ride has any engine clatter, please record and share it in this thread. It'd be helpful.

No one from the media ride mentioned this and neither did a couple of my friends, who are pretty avid motorists and mechanical engineers.
I'm guessing the reason for this is the loud exhaust that they were using in the tests. I'm sure if you take a test on the stock silent exhaust, you will definitely hear the clatter. Its not exactly a deal-breaker for me. But the clatter brings in memories of the older Enfields. Those who have had Bullets will probably relate to this.

Last edited by Gordon : 18th March 2016 at 16:40.
Old 18th March 2016, 16:40   #808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Damn, after all the drama, I was not given a test ride after all the riding gear offer and stuff. I was asked to come some other time some other day.
I'm planning to go to Dhone Automobiles, Rahul Chambers, Old Mumbai Pune Highway, Kasarwadi, Pimpri-Chinchwad. I'm planning for Saturday morning! Hope the vehicle is washed earlier I'd be glad if you join.

Cheers,
Surja
Old 18th March 2016, 17:04   #809
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
I'm planning to go to Dhone Automobiles, Rahul Chambers, Old Mumbai Pune Highway, Kasarwadi, Pimpri-Chinchwad. I'm planning for Saturday morning! Hope the vehicle is washed earlier I'd be glad if you join.

Cheers,
Surja
I would love to join if you are planning to go there in the first half of the day as I have some other commitments during the second half.

But do they have a test ride bike? I had called up Dhone Kasarwadi on 16th but the test ride bike was yet to arrive.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 20:05   #810
BHPian

Test rode one yesterday, mighty impressed! And that's coming from a guy who's probably the biggest RE hater, ever. One of the positives I see here is that RE is changing, but the biggest positive I see is that more manufacturers will now try and enter this segment

Also, kudos to RE for readily available test ride bikes, at least in Hyderabad. Almost all showrooms have one in black ready to ride, and the white one is on display.

If this thing can survive the first 6 months, I will certainly buy one, given the hardcore off-roading I've been doing with the 390 recently.

Here's the complete review, your thoughts appreciated!
RiderZone is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread