Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 12th March 2015, 10:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Duke of Ram - My Orange Flame, KTM Duke 390. EDIT : Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Thats right. Under belly exhaust keeps the bike centered.
Honestly bro, that's just sales spiel.

Its not like the 99.99% bikes out there in the real world from top manufacturers with one side "traditional" exhausts are off-center.

A bike is designed to be perfectly balanced.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 10:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen it would be better if we concentrate on motorcycles instead of being sarcastic about various cultures. Coming back to my query this is to you Hillram, I am still not convinced as to how a underbelly exhaust helps in keeping a balanced centre of gravity.

I have been riding various motorcycles including the Duke 390 but have never felt the difference, ofcourse the Duke 390 is significantly ligher than any other 350cc+ motorcycle offered in India. But it still doesn't give me a feeling of balanced centre of gravity. Like Ebonho has mentioned and I quote, "Its not like the 99.99% bikes out there in the real world from top manufacturers with one side "traditional" exhausts are off-center."

Infact I think the underbelly exhaust has a risk of hitting the bottom. For example we had gone for a ride from Bombay to Pune where one can find those monster speedbreakers just before the toll booth on NH4. While our motorcycles managed to go over them unaffected we saw a fellow Duke 390 rider although being cautious rubbed the underbelly exhaust on those speed breakers. Nevertheless Duke 390 has a good ground clearance and situations like those mentioned above can be tackled by going sideways like we do in our cars.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 10:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Infact I think the underbelly exhaust has a risk of hitting the bottom. For example we had gone for a ride from Bombay to Pune where one can find those monster speedbreakers just before the toll booth on NH4. While our motorcycles managed to go over them unaffected we saw a fellow Duke 390 rider although being cautious rubbed the underbelly exhaust on those speed breakers. Nevertheless Duke 390 has a good ground clearance and situations like those mentioned above can be tackled by going sideways like we do in our cars.
Being a Pune Duke rider who has probably been over those same monsters millions of times, I must say I am very surprised ....

Its not the underbelly exhaust of the Duke that is ever the problem. Its the belly pan "beak" in front that's the lowest point of the bike that sometimes (very very rarely) causes issues.

Very very rarely = trying to jump off a median and cross on to the highway on the other side on a 4 lane highway (jumping on is not a problem). Something a traditional 19" wheeled Bullet can do with ease.
Old 13th March 2015, 10:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Being a Pune Duke rider who has probably been over those same monsters millions of times, I must say I am very surprised ....
Well it really depends on the rider and his judgement, I saw it happening hence mentioned it. There was another instance of a Duke 390 slightly rubbing its belly while coming back from Nasik to Mumbai while we had gone for another ride. While coming back to Mumbai there was a huge traffic build up due to truck terminals near Bhiwandi. We exited the road while riding close to the edge of the road which had these inclines and declines like a see-saw marked with stones and rocks. While we traversed over those offroading tracks without hitting the bottom the Duke 390 rider was seen hitting the underbelly while following the same track that we were riding on.
Old 13th March 2015, 10:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well it really depends on the rider and his judgement, I saw it happening hence mentioned it. There was another instance of a Duke 390 slightly rubbing its belly while coming back from Nasik to Mumbai while we had gone for another ride. While coming back to Mumbai there was a huge traffic build up due to truck terminals near Bhiwandi. We exited the road while riding close to the edge of the road which had these inclines and declines like a see-saw marked with stones and rocks. While we traversed over those offroading tracks without hitting the bottom the Duke 390 rider was seen hitting the underbelly while following the same track that we were riding on.
The second instance is a bit like what I described. Believable. But again, its not the exhaust. Its the belly pan. Check for scratches by running your hand underneath to understand,

The first - I continue to be surprised. Because we go over those belting, ruler straight, with zero technique (except lifting off of the seat instinctively).
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 11:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The first - I continue to be surprised. Because we go over those belting, ruler straight, with zero technique (except lifting off of the seat instinctively).
I too am surprised that your Duke 390 didn't hit the bottom on NH4 speed breakers both going towards and coming back from. Maybe they were relaid while you were riding who knows. Those speedbreakers looked like they are meant for trucks. I could literally hear the underbelly scratching as the rider was riding just parallel to me. Anyways I have just seen two instances of it as mentioned while some might have not experienced it at all during their rides like you.

Anyways since we are already on this ownership thread I would like to ask if the problem of restarting the Duke 390 after running for sometime has been resolved or not. I had read numerous posts reporting this issue. Hillram could you share your experience with us.
Old 13th March 2015, 11:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too am surprised that your Duke 390 didn't hit the bottom on NH4 speed breakers both going towards and coming back from.
Not just my 390, my 200 before that too. And not just my Dukes. I'd suggest your friend gets his suspension checked, or the preload.

Quote:
Anyways since we are already on this ownership thread I would like to ask if the problem of restarting the Duke 390 after running for sometime has been resolved or not.
Never had an issues that persistent starter thumbing cannot solve. I always do the ignition key-kill switch off-on reboot thingy though.
Old 13th March 2015, 12:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not just my 390, my 200 before that too. And not just my Dukes. I'd suggest your friend gets his suspension checked, or the preload.
Yes maybe, I haven't experienced the preload adjustment of the Duke 390 hence can't comment on it. Besides there are posts on this forum where owners have complained of duke's bottom(not exactly the exhaust) scraping. Case in point this particular thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3091509 (KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg)

Adjusting the suspension might do the trick here. Note like the thread mentioned above the fellow Duke 390 rider who was riding with us was carrying a rather heavy saddle bag.

Quote:
Never had an issues that persistent starter thumbing cannot solve. I always do the ignition key-kill switch off-on reboot thingy though.
Wont this drain the battery or put a strain on the starter motor if done again and again?
Old 13th March 2015, 15:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes maybe, I haven't experienced the preload adjustment of the Duke 390 hence can't comment on it. Besides there are posts on this forum where owners have complained of duke's bottom(not exactly the exhaust) scraping. Case in point this particular thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3091509 (KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg)

Adjusting the suspension might do the trick here. Note like the thread mentioned above the fellow Duke 390 rider who was riding with us was carrying a rather heavy saddle bag.
I am 90 kilos (again .... had gone down to 80 fom 100 .... sigh) and my 390 is set to 7.

My 200 was set at 6 and even then would bob and the back end would feel weavy with a heavy saddlebag whn riding at fast speeds and hitting a dip in the road.

Quote:
Wont this drain the battery or put a strain on the starter motor if done again and again?
Its not done again and again. Just once if the bike fails to start after suddenly shutting off. Then regardless of morons honking behind, I try to pull as to the side as I can and do the shut off-put on before thumbing the starter again, and it starts. That's all. Why should that drain a healthy fully charged battery?
Old 13th March 2015, 15:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its not done again and again. Just once if the bike fails to start after suddenly shutting off. Then regardless of morons honking behind, I try to pull as to the side as I can and do the shut off-put on before thumbing the starter again, and it starts. That's all. Why should that drain a healthy fully charged battery?
You didn't get my point. Out of the many such scenarios, I am talking about a scenario in traffic while waiting at the signal. For example I shut off my motorcycle when I see there is a good 120 to 180 seconds for the traffic light to turn green, this is where I have heard from fellow Duke 390 riders about finding it difficult to restart the engine even after repeatedly pressing the thumb starter. It is scenarios like these which puts strain on the starter motor and the battery. It is not like the motorcycle does not start at all, it does start but one has to keep pressing the thumb starter again and again which I think puts strain on the battery and starter motor.
Old 13th March 2015, 16:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You didn't get my point. Out of the many such scenarios, I am talking about a scenario in traffic while waiting at the signal. For example I shut off my motorcycle when I see there is a good 120 to 180 seconds for the traffic light to turn green, this is where I have heard from fellow Duke 390 riders about finding it difficult to restart the engine even after repeatedly pressing the thumb starter. It is scenarios like these which puts strain on the starter motor and the battery. It is not like the motorcycle does not start at all, it does start but one has to keep pressing the thumb starter again and again which I think puts strain on the battery and starter motor.
1) That never happens to my bike. Not on the 390 I own now, not the one I tested either. Its never been starting that's an issue. It was the sudden unexplained shut-offs ....

2) The standard rule for all starters (which I have tried .... unsuccessfully .... to teach my better half about) is a 3 second max thumb then wait and then repeat - max 2-3 times. If it does not start in that there is something else the matter.

P.S. Is your concern based on reports of batery and starter failures or a hypothetical one?
Old 13th March 2015, 16:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... this is where I have heard from fellow Duke 390 riders about finding it difficult to restart the engine even after repeatedly pressing the thumb starter. It is scenarios like these which puts strain on the starter motor and the battery. It is not like the motorcycle does not start at all, it does start but one has to keep pressing the thumb starter again and again which I think puts strain on the battery and starter motor.
Just a doubt. Were they thumbing the starter in gear with clutch pulled in or is it in Neutral. My bike starts in the first thumb in Neutral even if the engine is scorching hot. But, it would take a couple of thumbs while trying to start the bike in gear with clutch pulled all the way in.

A couple of more thumbs on a rare basis for the starter should not be a problem for the battery if the alternator unit is a healthy one!

Last edited by man_of_steel : 13th March 2015 at 16:39.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 16:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) That never happens to my bike. Not on the 390 I own now, not the one I tested either. Its never been starting that's an issue. It was the sudden unexplained shut-offs ....
Point taken what about engine refusing to start after a hot ride in bumper to bumper traffic and shutting off the engine at the traffic lights. I have experienced this while waiting at the signals and seeing Duke 390 owners struggling to start their motorcycles.

Quote:
2) The standard rule for all starters (which I have tried .... unsuccessfully .... to teach my better half about) is a 3 second max thumb then wait and then repeat - max 2-3 times. If it does not start in that there is something else the matter.
Do you also give a mild throttle while doing this or just press the thumb starter?

Quote:
P.S. Is your concern based on reports of batery and starter failures or a hypothetical one?
It is a combination of both actually plus personal experience while sitting pillion on a Duke 390 in Bombay traffic. There is a similar case here on this thread about near identical situation http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...hread-202.html (The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread)

Besides I have rode my cousin's Duke 390 and have found atleast two instances where the motorcycle refused to start after it was manually stopped by me. I had to wait for two to three minutes before I could crank it and get it started.
Old 13th March 2015, 16:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Just a doubt. Were they thumbing the starter in gear with clutch pulled in or is it in Neutral.
Good point. I forgot to ask this. This has been discussed quite exhaustively by most of us when the 390 was still new. Most guys do not have the patience to get back to neutral and reboot before restarting.
Old 13th March 2015, 16:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Just a doubt. Were they thumbing the starter in gear with clutch pulled in or is it in Neutral. My bike starts in the first thumb in Neutral even if the engine is scorching hot. But, it would take a couple of thumbs while trying to start the bike in gear with clutch pulled all the way in.

A couple of more thumbs on a rare basis for the starter should not be a problem for the battery if the alternator unit is a healthy one!
I am really not sure as I didn't notice the pattern of those riders. But I was caught unaware two times when the motorcycle refused to start even while in neutral gear after riding in traffic.