Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2015, 12:36   #46
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default Re: Report & Pics: India Bike Week 2015 @ Goa

Silly question - but in two sentences, can someone summarize IBW for me? I can't "grasp" its essence even though the awesome pictures give me an unparalleled ringside view.

Is it a riding group meet, a la Rider Mania?
Is it an auto expo equivalent?
is it a lot of events where manufacturers show off their latest and greatest or where there's stuff like stunts etc?

What exactly is it?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 12:40   #47
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,748
Thanked: 7,466 Times
Default Re: Report & Pics: India Bike Week 2015 @ Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Is it a riding group meet, a la Rider Mania?
Is it an auto expo equivalent?
is it a lot of events where manufacturers show off their latest and greatest or where there's stuff like stunts etc?

What exactly is it?
It is all of this and much more. Week dedicated to bikes, biking spirit, partying and celebrating biker hood.

More details here http://indiabikeweek.in/info/about/
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 13:02   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Report & Pics: India Bike Week 2015 @ Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Silly question - but in two sentences, can someone summarize IBW for me? I can't "grasp" its essence even though the awesome pictures give me an unparalleled ringside view.

Is it a riding group meet, a la Rider Mania?
Is it an auto expo equivalent?
is it a lot of events where manufacturers show off their latest and greatest or where there's stuff like stunts etc?

What exactly is it?
Rider Mania, depends on which Rider Mania you refer to. The one run by the company is pretty much an IBW for Royal Enfield riders. Even the venue is the same, and a lot of the "star attractions" .....

As for IBW, its a brand that's here to stay. Must confess to a degree of bias here as its owned and run by kids I grew up with. Class mates and friends of my younger brother, 5 years my juniors.

Its a platform to get bikers from across brands together. And have a good time. End of the day you realise its a pretty small and tighknit community. Coincidentally, I met one of the co-owners with his parents yesterday. And we were discussing IBW. The first year was the novelty factor, the second year was a bit slow, but the third year (this one) it really seems to have moved to the next level and taken firm root.

In its wake you see a lot of other similar events mshrooming across the country. SBK meets. Traveller/tourer meets. etc. IBW got there first and seems to have hit the sweet spot. Goa, sun, beaches, waves, and other misc. accompaniments obviously help. And being run by a hardcore event management group, who know how to run big gigs like this as their bread and butter, its done slickly and at a level most pure bike related brands would find tough to equal.

It also helps that a lot of the ownership and management are hard core bikers in their own right. So while its obviously business for them, they are not close to being out of their depth in doing it.

In ending I realise you asked for two sentences. I'll leave it to you to choose which two you want from the above.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 13:23   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
Tushar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,138
Thanked: 8,355 Times
Default Re: Report & Pics: India Bike Week 2015 @ Goa

It has far too much to summarize really. In this edition it was also a mini expo for motorcycle brands/motorcycle parts/motorcycle merchandise. It had all the things you'd associate with bikers (music, partying, build off competitions, "strong man" competitions, custom bikes, races, stunts, adventure stories and a whole lot more).

It's also about promoting/taking advantage of the growing love for motorcycles in India by getting like minded individuals together and celebrating the brotherhood. The crowd included newby riders, veteran riders, community legends and generally people who love bikes. Summarizing all that action will take a lot of chopping - like when they turn a book into a movie
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 13:40   #50
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default Re: Report & Pics: India Bike Week 2015 @ Goa

Thanks for those in-depth replies! Helps me understand it better.

Now it makes sense - a RM across brands, and all other groups have to do is buy tickets and plan their ride with the event organization already taken care of! Else planning such a mammoth annual meet requires significant resources and effort.

It also helps that Goa is around 12 hours riding distance away from Mumbai / Pune and Bangalore which are three key centers of motorcycling in India - as opposed to something up north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Rider Mania, depends on which Rider Mania you refer to. The one run by the company is pretty much an IBW for Royal Enfield riders. Even the venue is the same, and a lot of the "star attractions" .....


Its a platform to get bikers from across brands together. And have a good time. End of the day you realise its a pretty small and tighknit community. Coincidentally, I met one of the co-owners with his parents yesterday. And we were discussing IBW. The first year was the novelty factor, the second year was a bit slow, but the third year (this one) it really seems to have moved to the next level and taken firm root.


It also helps that a lot of the ownership and management are hard core bikers in their own right. So while its obviously business for them, they are not close to being out of their depth in doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
It has far too much to summarize really. In this edition it was also a mini expo for motorcycle brands/motorcycle parts/motorcycle merchandise. It had all the things you'd associate with bikers (music, partying, build off competitions, "strong man" competitions, custom bikes, races, stunts, adventure stories and a whole lot more).

It's also about promoting/taking advantage of the growing love for motorcycles in India by getting like minded individuals together and celebrating the brotherhood. The crowd included newby riders, veteran riders, community legends and generally people who love bikes. Summarizing all that action will take a lot of chopping - like when they turn a book into a movie
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 14:43   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Report & Pics: India Bike Week 2015 @ Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Rider Mania, depends on which Rider Mania you refer to. The one run by the company is pretty much an IBW for Royal Enfield riders. Even the venue is the same, and a lot of the "star attractions" .....
Doc,

Needless to say well summarized and share your opinion after reading this report in detail. Appears that IBW finally managed to get off the monkey called HD off their back. The first event was more like a HD Commercial event but this year seems to be a fair even ground for all.

Hopefully they keep up without any bias and appears that DSK also showcased their 'to be released' products as well.

The 600 Tourer looks yum with its huge 27 liter tank, what is your take on it? (Agree its off topic but )
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 15:36   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Report & Pics: India Bike Week 2015 @ Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Appears that IBW finally managed to get off the monkey called HD off their back.
HD will have to learn how to coexist. IBW was never meant to be a showcase for only them with others attending as "children of a lesser (biking) God" .....

It just so happened that in the initial iterations the interests of both were served.

With more brands buying into the event, HD can either demand exclusivity and pay for it (if the organisers want to go that way .....), or merge with the larger biking brotherhood. Or go their own way independently, like some other big marques do.

In the end, with riders paying to ride to the event and attend, they wil go to the event that has the crowd they gel with, ride with, and get their kicks with, and the event that's the most fun.

At this IBW, it was an evolution (which will continue). So while the individual sponsors had the regular hours of a multi brand attendance, there were special after-hours parties that were reserved for owners of bikes of particular brands, sponsored by those brands.

So in affect, a combination of brand specific events on the sidelines, using the platform provided and organised by IBW, against the backdrop of an all-brand IBW.

P.S. On Benelli, I am honestly not very enthused. The China angle and the general fit and finish, along with the fear of continued support, all playing a part. If you want to look at a tourer (I am not), why not wait for the Versys 650? It around the corner .....

Last edited by ebonho : 4th March 2015 at 16:02.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 16:27   #53
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 124
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Report & Pics: India Bike Week 2015 @ Goa

If the versys 650 comes, will the vstrom 650 be far off!

These are the bikes that should have come first. They just wanted to milk the market.

PS piccies taken by my son, taking part in the Biker Build Off.

With my Olympus epl1 and the Panasonic f1.2 prime.
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 16:44   #54
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 92
Thanked: 79 Times
Default Re: Report & Pics: India Bike Week 2015 @ Goa

But IBW folks should stay away from organizing RACES though, it was a sadly organized event with no regard for participants what so ever, very disappointing......
Khodays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 13:27   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Report & Pics: India Bike Week 2015 @ Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

P.S. On Benelli, I am honestly not very enthused. The China angle and the general fit and finish, along with the fear of continued support, all playing a part. If you want to look at a tourer (I am not), why not wait for the Versys 650? It around the corner .....
Thanks Doc for your honest feedback, do you think that the fit and finish is really poor? Regarding the China Angle Can you please elaborate more? Am trying to understand it better.

Versys 650 is really going to hit the roads? I mean are Kawasaki really serious with launching it?

But then yes the twin vs Inline4 ?

Believe the engine is a derivative of R6...no?
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 13:38   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Report & Pics: India Bike Week 2015 @ Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Thanks Doc for your honest feedback, do you think that the fit and finish is really poor? Regarding the China Angle Can you please elaborate more? Am trying to understand it better.

Versys 650 is really going to hit the roads? I mean are Kawasaki really serious with launching it?

But then yes the twin vs Inline4 ?

Believe the engine is a derivative of R6...no?
Mahesh, add oddball looks to the equation as well. I know that's a personal thing, but you asked my opinion. Yup, its an older generation R6 motor, being built on license (I think). But then similarly so is the Force 1 an older generation Merc motor, as are other Tempo Trax MUVs ....

I would not say the fit and finish is por, but its not what I would expect from 6-7 lac plus bikes either. The Kawasakis being the benchmark here.

Benelli is now owned by a Chinese company. And Benelli is not setting up shop here. Its coming here as a partner to a sales/service partner as the Indian entity. That's a big red flag in my eyes personally. Both sides have nothing to lose by shutting shop when they want.

Yes the Versys 650 is coming. Yes the V Strome 650 is also coming. Both this year. So you can have your pick between a Jap parallel twin or a Jap V twin. The Versys looks better overall (reviews, comparos etc.), though I would love to ride both to see for myself (litle chance of test rides though).

If KTM had brought their 690, we would not even be having this conversation .... damn!

Last edited by ebonho : 5th March 2015 at 13:42.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 14:22   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Report & Pics: India Bike Week 2015 @ Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Yes the Versys 650 is coming. Yes the V Strome 650 is also coming. Both this year. So you can have your pick between a Jap parallel twin or a Jap V twin. The Versys looks better overall (reviews, comparos etc.), though I would love to ride both to see for myself (litle chance of test rides though).

If KTM had brought their 690, we would not even be having this conversation .... damn!
Wow, V Strom also in the pipelines? That motor has oodles of torque when compared to the 650 motor if I were to believe in the MCN & other reviews.

Will keep low for the time being thanks for the information shared.

Regarding the KTM 690, i would not be even considering it had they launched 390 in Adventure Avatar. But 690 Adventure also sounds good...
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PICS & Report : Mumbai Supercar Show, January 2015 Aditya Super-Cars & Imports in India 60 8th June 2016 00:38
Report & Pics: Bangalore Annual OTR, 2015 dhanushs 4x4 Excursions 26 19th December 2015 01:08
India Bike Week (IBW) 2015 @ Goa. Who all will be there? akshayhonda Motorbikes 1 5th February 2015 12:02
Report & Pics: The 2015 Valley Run Drag Races S2!!! Indian Motorsport 42 20th January 2015 13:41
India Bike Week: 2nd-3rd February 2013, in Goa! parrys Motorbikes 11 7th June 2013 16:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks