Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2015, 14:12   #46
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 114
Thanked: 88 Times
Question Re: Suzuki Gixxer SF spied EDIT: Launched at Rs. 92,596 (on-road, Delhi)

Planning to buy a Gixxer SF. Apart from the fairing, there is absolutely no difference between fully faired and the naked versions in terms of specifications. So I am a bit confused between the two. Heart says Gixxer SF and mind says Naked Gixxer
It seems that there is a little difference in the top speed, Gixxer SF is about 10km/h faster, but again that is on a long stretch, free road.
In city riding, I guess both would perform the same, manoeuvring the SF might be a little difficult compared to its naked counterpart. I wanted to know if there is any other type of gain (like pickup) in low speeds for the Gixxer SF due to its fairing? In Bangalore, the SF costs a whooping 1.04L for the MotoGP edition and 1.02L for the other two colours. Where as the Gixxer 155 costs about 94K. (All on-road prices)
Funny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2015, 15:39   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,103
Thanked: 1,497 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Gixxer SF spied EDIT: Launched at Rs. 92,596 (on-road, Delhi)

Don't expect any speed/power gain by fairing alone. Any increase by way of aerodynamics will be mostly set off by increased weight of the fairing.

It is a good looking bike, but there is a limit on power because of the nature of the engine. I feel both Gixxer and this SF are overpriced, especially compared to a much superior ZMR or P220.

However, in your case, go for SF if you like it, but don't try to find further justifications for the price increase, it is a premium for the added fairing and Indian's love of faired bike, nothing more nothing less.

Last edited by ani_meher : 8th July 2015 at 15:43.
ani_meher is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2015, 15:44   #48
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,974
Thanked: 16,767 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Gixxer SF spied EDIT: Launched at Rs. 92,596 (on-road, Delhi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
If I were in market with similar budget, I would have gone for ZMR with my eyes closed.
Certainly with eyes closed, as it is one of the ugliest bikes out there in the market.

The case with fairings on small bikes is similar to boots in compact sedans. You pay more for it just because the market would do so. There is no gain out of the fairing. To be fair for the Gixxer SF though - it looks like a proper design and makes for a much more convincing case against the prime competition- the Yamaha Fazer.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 11:36   #49
BHPian
 
swami.n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: TN-10
Posts: 252
Thanked: 182 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Gixxer SF spied EDIT: Launched at Rs. 92,596 (on-road, Delhi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Planning to buy a Gixxer SF. Apart from the fairing, there is absolutely no difference between fully faired and the naked versions in terms of specifications. So I am a bit confused between the two. Heart says Gixxer SF and mind says Naked Gixxer
It seems that there is a little difference in the top speed, Gixxer SF is about 10km/h faster, but again that is on a long stretch, free road.
In city riding, I guess both would perform the same, manoeuvring the SF might be a little difficult compared to its naked counterpart. I wanted to know if there is any other type of gain (like pickup) in low speeds for the Gixxer SF due to its fairing? In Bangalore, the SF costs a whooping 1.04L for the MotoGP edition and 1.02L for the other two colours. Where as the Gixxer 155 costs about 94K. (All on-road prices)
Yes both are a bit over priced, but surely the SF is worth the money when it is compared to the Gixxer. And for maneuvering, except the rear view mirrors, nothing is too wide for it being difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Don't expect any speed/power gain by fairing alone. Any increase by way of aerodynamics will be mostly set off by increased weight of the fairing.

It is a good looking bike, but there is a limit on power because of the nature of the engine. I feel both Gixxer and this SF are overpriced, especially compared to a much superior ZMR or P220.

However, in your case, go for SF if you like it, but don't try to find further justifications for the price increase, it is a premium for the added fairing and Indian's love of faired bike, nothing more nothing less.
Tend to disagree with ani_meher here. The SF certainly has a difference in top-speed compared to the naked Gixxer. A sure 10kmph increase as it is not just an extra fitting like those on the Karizma. It is a proper Wind tunnel tested faring and its just 4kgs heavier than the Gixxer which is not too much to negate the performance gained by the faring.

Last edited by swami.n : 13th July 2015 at 11:52.
swami.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2015, 08:26   #50
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 22
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Gixxer SF spied EDIT: Launched at Rs. 92,596 (on-road, Delhi)

Would appreciate if any Gixxer SF owner/(s) post their experience with this motorcycle. I am planning to buy it.

When it comes to price, I would actually say that it is the cheapest 150 CC fully faired motorcycle. Look at the options: Yamaha R15 (about Rs. 1.20 lakhs onroad) & Honda CBR150R (about Rs. 1.30 lakhs on-road).

And I am sure torque and power numbers would be around the competition. So performance wise I don't think there would be much difference.

Thanks,
Moshel
moshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2015, 11:15   #51
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 114
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Gixxer SF spied EDIT: Launched at Rs. 92,596 (on-road, Delhi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshel View Post
Would appreciate if any Gixxer SF owner/(s) post their experience with this motorcycle. I am planning to buy it.

When it comes to price, I would actually say that it is the cheapest 150 CC fully faired motorcycle. Look at the options: Yamaha R15 (about Rs. 1.20 lakhs onroad) & Honda CBR150R (about Rs. 1.30 lakhs on-road).

And I am sure torque and power numbers would be around the competition. So performance wise I don't think there would be much difference.

Thanks,
Moshel
R15 and CBR150R are in a different league. Although in same category of 150CC engines, these two are tuned to provide more power.
Suzuki could've also done something similar to bump up the power figures but they chose to stick to same output figures
Funny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2015, 12:34   #52
BHPian
 
SoumenD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: B'lore
Posts: 277
Thanked: 346 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Gixxer SF spied EDIT: Launched at Rs. 92,596 (on-road, Delhi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshel View Post
...When it comes to price, I would actually say that it is the cheapest 150 CC fully faired motorcycle. Look at the options: Yamaha R15 (about Rs. 1.20 lakhs onroad) & Honda CBR150R (about Rs. 1.30 lakhs on-road).

And I am sure torque and power numbers would be around the competition. So performance wise I don't think there would be much difference...
About being cheapest faired bike, yes it is.

But comparing it to R15 and CBR is totally wrong. Except for the on-paper cubic centimeters nothing else is similar in the bikes. Sf is a plain jane air-cooled 150cc just like the Pulsar 150/RTR 160 whereas the other two are cutting edge international offerings with everything from delta frame to liquid cooling to fuel injection. Its like calling a 1200cc Swift similar to 1200cc Polo GT TSi(well, not entirely but you get the drift right?)

Last edited by SoumenD : 2nd October 2015 at 12:35.
SoumenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 07:28   #53
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 22
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Gixxer SF spied EDIT: Launched at Rs. 92,596 (on-road, Delhi)

Well you are correct. Upon looking closely at all the three I did find considerable difference between them.

Leaving aside the comparison, how is the Gixxer SF by itself? I don't want to spend more than a lakh of Rupees, FE is important and prefer to buy a fully faired bike because I have never owned one.
moshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 09:44   #54
BHPian
 
petrolhead_neel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Burdwan
Posts: 626
Thanked: 1,035 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshel View Post
Well you are correct. Upon looking closely at all the three I did find considerable difference between them.

Leaving aside the comparison, how is the Gixxer SF by itself? I don't want to spend more than a lakh of Rupees, FE is important and prefer to buy a fully faired bike because I have never owned one.
If your primary objective is commuting, go for the Gixxer SF eyes closed. The Gixxer is the most fun to ride bike today in its segment (do note that I am not talking about the Ceeber 150R or the R15). It is proving out to be reliable as well. Just wished that Suzuki had provided a different engine tune on the SF, and rear disc brakes. The fairing is superbly designed and its not only cosmetic but functional too. It reduces wind blast according to some reports I read recently. I also read somewhere that it can be called the 'Miata of 150CC bikes.' Just one request: go for the MotoGP inspired blue color if you buy the SF. The large Suzuki logo makes the bike look smashing. FE is quite good.

If you plan to do a lot of track riding, corner carving and highway blasts then go for the R15 or CBR150R. My choice between these two would be the R15. But the R15, on the other hand, isn't quite nice in the city because of its lack of low end torque.

Simply going OT in the Gixxer thread. If you need more answers, do post your query in a different thread.

Happy Shopping!

Mods, delete irrelevant bits if necessary.

Cheers,
Neel

Last edited by Aditya : 4th October 2015 at 17:46. Reason: As requested
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 11:44   #55
BHPian
 
SoumenD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: B'lore
Posts: 277
Thanked: 346 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Gixxer SF spied EDIT: Launched at Rs. 92,596 (on-road, Delhi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshel View Post
...
Leaving aside the comparison, how is the Gixxer SF by itself? I don't want to spend more than a lakh of Rupees, FE is important and prefer to buy a fully faired bike because I have never owned one.
If faring is absolute mandatory, under a lakh this is the best your money can buy today in India. The other faired 150cc ones are 30-40% out of your budget & am hoping you aren't too interested in their USPs much(handling/high revving packages). Personally I didn't get a chance to ride it yet(will do once I get back to India this december) but having spent some time with other suzukis of the past, mileage and refinement should be at par with the HONDAs. The Gixxer(its naked sibling) has been a decent performer and this one should be the same as both are essentially the same bike (except for the faring)

About the SF here's what most of the reliable reviews say :


http://overdrive.in/reviews/suzuki-g...-need-to-know/

http://www.topgear.com/india/suzuki/...r-sf/itemid-52

Quote:
Overall, the Suzuki Gixxer SF is an impressive package. It is based on the Gixxer, which is a fun product to begin with. What the SF gets over and above the Gixxer is the full fairing, which will be a hit with Indian buyers at its price point ₹97,532 (on road, Mumbai). With an easy riding position, the SF will be a convenient bike for those moving around the city, as well as touring the countryside.

Last edited by SoumenD : 13th October 2015 at 11:48.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fully faired Suzuki Gixxer spied on test Tushar Motorbikes 5 14th February 2015 17:50
2009 New Suzuki Wagon-R launched in Japan EDIT: 2013 facelift launched in Japan thainogkok The International Automotive Scene 46 12th September 2012 08:44
Suzuki SBK's launched - Hayabusa & Intruder EDIT- Now Gixxer Announced straight6 Superbikes & Imports 167 4th December 2009 16:09
Planning long holiday, Delhi-Leh-Delhi, Delhi-Gangotri-Delhi by road arunforu1 Route / Travel Queries 19 22nd August 2009 02:25
2004 Gixxer up for grabs!! karthik247 Shifting gears 8 15th March 2006 23:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks