Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2015, 12:01   #16
BHPian
 
caged_nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Delhi/ Hyderaba
Posts: 36
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Guess what.. I own an Impulse too..!!

I use it for commuting to office and the occasional fun ride.

Perfect so we are on the same page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
First thing: The Impulse is NOT a TOURING Motorcycle.. the Honda NXR 150 Bros (origins of the Impulse) is a simple entry level dual purpose motorcycle.
Absolutely correct, no doubting that. So shall we then restrict its usage only to the dirt track and to office runs? Lets agree to disagree!
I speak out of my own experience and i can tell you it is simply brilliant as a touring motorcycle (except for a lack of power, which we both agree on).

The impulse is the only bike that can be driven flat out pretty much regardless of the road condition. I have driven on the back roads of haryana, through places like Charkhi dadri, at a steady 90 Kph, in the evening flying over speed breakers and all kinds of potholes. (did not want to be in that area alone after dark looking like an alien in my ridding gear and HV vest)

The impulse is very forgiving if you get pushed off the road. It has happened to me twice. The first was on the way back from Jaisalemer where a I did not see a sumo overtaking a bus till the very last moment. I swerved off the road and onto the gravel. She did scare me bit, but I was able to control her.

An Idea of the shoulder surface (road in the right hand side corner)

Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines-idea-surface.jpg


The second and what would have been fatal was when I came face to face with a truck on a narrow back road in Telanagana (moved here for work).
As soon as I saw the truck, I swerved off the road, only this time there were ditches not gravel. The ones that are often made when trucks stay parked on soft mud. I went into the first one and immediately the water in it was splashed all over me, blinding me momentarily. I bounced through three or four of such ditches before coming back onto the road! no issues at all.

The riding posture is excellent, you sit upright and there is very little strain on your back. Also this position allows you to stand on the foot pegs easily.
this is excellent for negotiating bad roads and also relaxing your rear quarters.

The same engine that we both curse for being under powered, is also bullet proof in-terms of reliability and durability. Sure it will only do 80-85 kph. But it has enough to do 80-85 kph all day (for 10 hours at a stretch) and still have enough left to do 2 hours of hard riding 90-100 kph flat out with shifts at the redline. (rode back from jaislemer to delhi in one day solo)

Lastly, and why i believe it such a great motorcycle is that it has given me (a novice rider) the confidence to got out there and explore the world around me, without having to wait for someone for company

I will let the Pics do the talking

A sun set in sum away from the noisy tourists and pesky lapkas
Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines-1195_10152417213950647_1804962402_n.jpg


A late night pilgrimage to the sandunes that started it all.
Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines-impulse-full-moon-night-ahead-sum.jpg

Past jeori, while I was teaching my friend the joys of motorcycles, he nearly killed himself twice on a rented p220 and we decided to head back from here! He still fancies buying one though
Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines-impulse-way-jeori.jpg


Finally past the enigma called Karcham, and into the sangla valley
Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines-impulse-sangla.jpg

Had to turn back in the ikon two years ago This is that story should you want to know (Impromptu trip to Reckong Peo in an Ikon). ( and the reason for the impulse)



The trip to hatu peak with some friends, all of the other bikes were 220 cc and above and hence my earlier point of corners and so on.
Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines-impulse-hatu.jpg


A small trail near hotel hatu Narkanda that leads to this magnificent view.

Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines-near-hotel-hatu.jpg

Exploring my new home in Telangana

Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines-impulse-lake-1.jpg


In the end I would like to say I agree with you, from a numbers perspective there is no segment. And not just the impulse but the enduro sx too proved this.
But from the heart, and from all my interactions with people from various forums, I think that packaged right, the impulse can do for Hero what few bikes have done before. Become legends not commodities.
Amen!
caged_nomad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 12:41   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bombay
Posts: 269
Thanked: 195 Times
Default Re: Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines

I for one, am definitely paying up for the 250 if it's launched. It will be a practical tourer. Any idea if the HX250R is a liquid cooled engine?
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 12:47   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,181
Thanked: 1,055 Times
Default Re: Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Any idea if the HX250R is a liquid cooled engine?
Yes it is. You can spot the radiator inside the fairing.

Name:  herohx250runveilingindiaautoexpo201430012014g8_640x480.jpg
Views: 3668
Size:  105.7 KB
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:21   #19
BHPian
 
tatsago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 88
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
Not Impulse's fault.
As you go higher in Leh region, you have to adjust the air fuel ratio on any carb bike. I was there with my karizma.
Since the air is thinner at such high altitude, the engine gets less oxygen to burn the fuel. This results into the mixture becoming richer. Adjust the fuel screw on the carb and you should be fine.

We had my Karizma, friend's RTR160 and Brother's R15. Zma and RTR required carb adjustments (retuning), while R15 being fuel injected managed it on its own.

The 150 cc engine is from Honda Unicorn, Hero Achiever etc. Though low on power but it is a proven and robust one.

Impulse getting 250cc FI engine is great news. I wanted to but it , but going from Karizma 223cc to Impulse 150cc was a deal breaker. Also, karizma is quite an off-roader.

Even FI bikes have to be calibrated for higher altitude performance. Usually this involves programming the ECU to compensate for the lower oxygen content. The good thing is that bikes like the Hero Impulse are designed for similar conditions found in the Andean region of South America.

FYI, most cars are programmed for 2500msl only and not higher. Which sort of explains why the DI Mahindra's are the favorite of the taxi drivers in the Himalayan region.
tatsago is offline  
Old 23rd March 2015, 16:42   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 253
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines

Thrashing my ImpulZma around Hundar, J&K.

nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 18:03   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 371
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines

Caged Nomad

You are absolutely right. I just picked up a new old stock 2012 Impulse 6 months ago with 0.0kms on the clock (same color as yours) and was using it to dart around the suburbs

The Holi weekend I did 150 kms to Kolad and back from Mumbai and it was an absolute hoot on the back roads from Khopoli to Pali and the to Kolad via Bhira dam and Tamhini ghat road. Cant tell you all how much fun it was in the twisties and how easy it was to stand the pegs and ride over all the broken roads leading up to Imagica after Khopoli. Yes it does gasp for breath on the highway (it sorely misses a sixth gear) and it is slow going relatively speaking, but on any road apart from a super slab, this is a bike par excellence

I will be the first to stand in line and put down money on a 250cc Impulse or a CRF 250 or a KTM 390 scrambler or a KLR whatever. These are the most practical bikes to own and ride in India.....

Ride safe

R


Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng (Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines)
Guess what.. I own an Impulse too..!!

I use it for commuting to office and the occasional fun ride.



Perfect so we are on the same page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng (Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines)
First thing: The Impulse is NOT a TOURING Motorcycle.. the Honda NXR 150 Bros (origins of the Impulse) is a simple entry level dual purpose motorcycle.

Absolutely correct, no doubting that. So shall we then restrict its usage only to the dirt track and to office runs? Lets agree to disagree!
I speak out of my own experience and i can tell you it is simply brilliant as a touring motorcycle (except for a lack of power, which we both agree on).

The impulse is the only bike that can be driven flat out pretty much regardless of the road condition. I have driven on the back roads of haryana, through places like Charkhi dadri, at a steady 90 Kph, in the evening flying over speed breakers and all kinds of potholes. (did not want to be in that area alone after dark looking like an alien in my ridding gear and HV vest)
53BHP is offline  
Old 31st March 2015, 19:33   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Urban_Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,329
Thanked: 1,287 Times
Default Re: Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Thrashing my ImpulZma around Hundar, J&K.

Very very naughty!!! Loved the vid

What cam are you using? Go Pro (Black / white / sliver)?

Wher have you mounted it? And what mount did you use?

Too many questions?

Urban_Nomad is offline  
Old 7th May 2015, 15:08   #23
BHPian
 
barcalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 772
Thanked: 1,148 Times
Default Re: Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines

What seemed to be a rumour is now surely turning into reality.

A Hero dealership in Mumbai is now converting stock Impulses into Impulse-Zmas!

All you need to do is pay up Rs. 40,000 for the job to be done. This seems to be a brilliant choice for existing Impulse owners who wish to upgrade. What better than getting the job done at the company's very own showroom! With warranty.

Not aware of anyone who has got their rides Zma'd from here but surely looking forward to an owner's review of this awesome facility.

Source
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 17:50   #24
BHPian
 
The Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 604
Thanked: 600 Times
Default Re: Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
What seemed to be a rumour is now surely turning into reality.

A Hero dealership in Mumbai is now converting stock Impulses into Impulse-Zmas!

All you need to do is pay up Rs. 40,000 for the job to be done. This seems to be a brilliant choice for existing Impulse owners who wish to upgrade. What better than getting the job done at the company's very own showroom! With warranty.

Not aware of anyone who has got their rides Zma'd from here but surely looking forward to an owner's review of this awesome facility.

Source
The price is exorbitant considering the fact that they use second hand used Karizma engines for the swap. The stock silencer has to be replaced but its not included in the cost of 40k. Although the warranty is given for 1 year only at their shop in Mahim.

Most importantly, this is not in any way legal. Its considered as a modification job on the engine so if you are caught by the RTO, be ready for a big penalty. If they include the RTO charges for getting it legalized with the swapped engine in the 40k, then it is worth the cost IMO. ()

I know many of our fellow bhpians have done this mod successfully and there is also a thread dedicated to this I believe which can be considered as blue print for this mod. Or else I am sure if anyone is trying to do this then all the fellow bhpians would help with their experience, expertise and know how's.

Going by the other threads regarding this modification its evident that the transplant is not tough to do. Second hand used karizmas sell for peanuts costs.
The Great is offline  
Old 7th May 2015, 17:54   #25
BHPian
 
barcalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 772
Thanked: 1,148 Times
Default Re: Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Most importantly, this is not in any way legal. Its considered as a modification job on the engine so if you are caught by the RTO, be ready for a big penalty. If they include the RTO charges for getting it legalized with the swapped engine in the 40k, then it is worth the cost IMO. ()
Agree on this. Perhaps the most crucial part. My uncle who modded his Impulse into an Impulse 220 got the RTO stuff the very next day his conversion was successful. Never play funny with the law.

40k is a tad too much, I agree. I hope they include the RTO charges in that. But then, considering that it's Hero's very own showroom that's doing this, don't you think they're open to scrutinisation or maybe blacklisting from Hero? Since the new Impulse is yet to be launched, a company showroom doing this is not exactly legal, I feel.
barcalad is offline  
Old 7th May 2015, 18:02   #26
BHPian
 
The Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 604
Thanked: 600 Times
Default Re: Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Agree on this. Perhaps the most crucial part. My uncle who modded his Impulse into an Impulse 220 got the RTO stuff the very next day his conversion was successful. Never play funny with the law.

40k is a tad too much, I agree. I hope they include the RTO charges in that. But then, considering that it's Hero's very own showroom that's doing this, don't you think they're open to scrutinisation or maybe blacklisting from Hero? Since the new Impulse is yet to be launched, a company showroom doing this is not exactly legal, I feel.
That's because the owner of the showroom is a very passionate biker and has modded his own bike before launching this offer. Also the head of this transplant is a Parsi guy, who is a tech junkie at his disposal.
The Great is offline  
Old 7th May 2015, 18:10   #27
BHPian
 
barcalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 772
Thanked: 1,148 Times
Default Re: Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
That's because the owner of the showroom is a very passionate biker and has modded his own bike before launching this offer. Also the head of this transplant is a Parsi guy, who is a tech junkie at his disposal.
My point wasn't that. My point was - They're an authorised Hero showroom who're doing this transplant in a Hero showroom/SVC, with the help of probably authorised Hero technicians. They'll surely use original Hero spare parts. Maybe they'll even give the bill with the Hero logo on it.

So, all that summed up, is this completely legal on the owner's part to undertake such an exercise without keeping the Hero HQ in loop? Assuming that they are doing this with Hero's assent, I feel that this scheme should be launched in all of their metropolis showrooms. Also, considering that the Impulse 250 is on the cards, isn't this something that's going to raise a lot of eyebrows?
barcalad is offline  
Old 7th May 2015, 18:17   #28
BHPian
 
The Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 604
Thanked: 600 Times
Default Re: Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
My point wasn't that. My point was - They're an authorised Hero showroom who're doing this transplant in a Hero showroom/SVC, with the help of probably authorised Hero technicians. They'll surely use original Hero spare parts. Maybe they'll even give the bill with the Hero logo on it.

So, all that summed up, is this completely legal on the owner's part to undertake such an exercise without keeping the Hero HQ in loop? Assuming that they are doing this with Hero's assent, I feel that this scheme should be launched in all of their metropolis showrooms. Also, considering that the Impulse 250 is on the cards, isn't this something that's going to raise a lot of eyebrows?
I got that sir, instead of guessing things, I will check this out as the showroom is roughly 15 mins from my office.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 18:28   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bombay
Posts: 269
Thanked: 195 Times
Default

The Impulse conversion story is slightly dated. It'll be good to cross check with the showroom.
anilp is offline  
Old 9th May 2015, 14:46   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 253
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Very very naughty!!! Loved the vid

What cam are you using? Go Pro (Black / white / sliver)?

Wher have you mounted it? And what mount did you use?

Too many questions?

Sorry Bud, I somehow missed your reply. It is a cheap chinese action cam. It came with its own plastick bar mounts. It is mounted on the left side of the hand-bar. Shoots at 720pi but the "fish-eye" effect is a bit too much for my liking. It lasted exactly for 1 year but fortunately I got it for free . Over-all I'd say it did its part but if I had paid money to get it I'd have been furious.

I now use a Gopro silver edition with the stock mounts. This though is unquestionably the big daddy of action-cams. I do have a vid of me on my 390 chasing a friend on a stripple. But I cannot post that on here coz' of the silly speeds we were doing .
nitro.1000bhp is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Initial ownership review: The Terrain Tamer (Hero Impulse) deetee Motorbikes 83 12th September 2017 19:14
Hero Impulse vinod Motorbikes 213 11th April 2017 16:53
*Rumour* - Hero to phase out Ignitor, Maestro and Impulse ashwin.terminat Motorbikes 26 4th February 2013 11:54
Help needed : Hero Impulse or Enfield Electra 350 Tapish What Car? 8 4th May 2012 11:24
Should I buy a used Ninja 250 or new CBR 250? Edit - Bought a used Ninja 250 RacerByHeart Motorbikes 45 17th September 2011 10:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks