Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 4th May 2015, 11:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Honda & Hero spar over Splendor's 102.5 kpl rating

The Indian two wheeler segment has seen the advent of many premium players, but fuel economy focused commuter models still reign supreme. Honda and Hero, former partners in the market - attribute the majority of their sales to small displacement, high fuel efficiency motorcycles and scooters. Now, the Hero Splendor iSmart’s claimed fuel economy of 102.5 kpl has become the bone of contention between the two, as Honda has labelled Hero’s claim as “misleading and far from reality”.

According to the report, Honda R&D Centre India (HRID) President & CEO Keiji Kasa voiced his doubts over Hero's claim, adding that the base engine of the motorcycle was developed by Honda – giving them the ability to realistically assess the motor’s performance and capabilities. He also stated that the claimed mileage could not be maintained on a sustained basis, even within a completely controlled environment.

Hero MotoCorp responded by saying that the stated fuel economy was certified by International Centre for Automotive Technology (iCAT) and that Honda was essentially questioning the standards and regulations established by the Government of India. Kasa responded by stating that while Honda abides by iCAT’s assessment, the manufacturer stated figures must be filtered down and relevant to everyday conditions.

A Hero spokesperson added that factors such as weight reduction, the introduction of lean burn technology and the idle start / stop system help improve fuel efficiency greatly. Honda refuted Hero’s defence, and retorted that even with additions like the start / stop tech, it would be unlikely that users would be able to achieve the claimed fuel economy figure.

In India, Hero is currently the leader in the motorcycle segment, while Honda is the leader in the scooter segment. While Honda’s argument may hold some substance, many would argue that every manufacturer quotes figures that are difficult or realistically unachievable under real world conditions.

Source: ET Auto

Honda & Hero spar over Splendor's 102.5 kpl rating-www.teambhp.com.jpg

Last edited by Tushar : 4th May 2015 at 11:51.
Tushar is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 11:58   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Honda & Hero spar over Splendor's 102.5 kpl rating

I invite any manufacturer to achieve those figures in realistic, real world riding/driving conditions. A mix of city/highway + with a pillion, don't think anyone can achieve over 80kmpl.

But the problem is not that, problem is the end consumer which has a fetish and despite the fetish, nor they appear disappointed when they don't achieve those magical figures nor do they boycott the product for over the top advertisements.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 12:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I invite any manufacturer to achieve those figures in realistic, real world riding/driving conditions. A mix of city/highway + with a pillion, don't think anyone can achieve over 80kmpl.

But the problem is not that, problem is the end consumer which has a fetish and despite the fetish, nor they appear disappointed when they don't achieve those magical figures nor do they boycott the product for over the top advertisements.
Exactly ! as we are never going to drive only "under test conditions" (unless we get those type of roads and traffic control from lane to lane within each city )

So according to me the "test conditions" should be point A to point B of commuting rather than test tracks. They should include both the results of mileage as per test conditions and real world driving conditions.
The Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 12:29   #4
BHPian

http://overdrive.in/features/hypermi...rt-dream-neo2/

Look at the numbers ! Captain Planet would surely choose one of these to get around town !

Last edited by GTO : 4th May 2015 at 14:42. Reason: Typo
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 12:53   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda's fighting a losing battle. They're talking sense but alas.

Has anyone ever grown five shades lighter due to the fairness creams? Yet despite visible failure, this market segment survives and thrives. Similarly the 102.5 kpl claim!
phamilyman is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 15:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Talking Re: Honda & Hero spar over Splendor's 102.5 kpl rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Don't assume anything mate. This claimed average is always under ideal condition, they mention it clearly in the ads as well. People are also very well aware of it. Thing is when they claim average of 102+, people assume that under normal conditions it can give up to 75-80 KMPL which is good enough. No body will expect 102 in real world for sure. If manufacturer claim 80, people will assume that it can give up to 60

BTW, we went to Konkan few years back on bikes. We had my friend's Bajaj Boxer as one of bikes. With pillion rider, so many ghat sections, some luggage loaded, some bad roads etc also it gave 80+ average. We all were very surprised to see that kind of average. Mine was Bajaj Caliber, i also got 70 + average on the same trip in same conditions.

Off Topic: Still remember those days when we used to go on bikes, anytime, anywhere we want to. No restrictions. Just enjoy. Then one fine day everything changed, i got married
aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 15:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Honda doesnt seem to realize they are fanning the desire for that 102Kmpl bike more and more amongst public minds by this whining and groaning. Case in point - this TBhp thread - I honestly didnt know such a bike existed. Now this case/issue will enter media houses and end up a chai-pe-charcha in faaar off villages in India and I can imagine a statement "honda broke off from hero, now they are crying foul over a bike they helped create..!"

As such Splendor is such a in-demand bike!
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 16:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Don't assume anything mate. This claimed average is always under ideal condition, they mention it clearly in the ads as well. People are also very well aware of it. Thing is when they claim average of 102+, people assume that under normal conditions it can give up to 75-80 KMPL which is good enough. No body will expect 102 in real world for sure. If manufacturer claim 80, people will assume that it can give up to 60
+1 to that. All potential customers are normally aware that the the mileage figures quoted by the manufacturers are always under ideal conditions, and automatically discount it by (say about 20%) to assume what its real world mileage would be. So as outrageous as the 102+ claim might be, by discounting it once can safely assume that one should be able to get close to 80 probably in real world conditions.
Are manufacturers ever going to change track and start disclosing realy mileage figures instead of "ideal" ones? I doubt that will ever happen.
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 21:18   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone seen Hero's response to Honda's statements? If your product is good, I would feel one does not have to drag in a countries sovereignty into the debate. Let the product do the talking.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 21:28   #10

My friend bought iSmart, we tested it, got 87kmpl on fairly smooth tarmac and in No-traffic condition
abhijeetK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 15:14   #11
BHPian

I am fine with Hero's defence apart from the portion where they mentioned 'start stop system'. Now as far as I know- these standard test conditions have a guy riding the motorcycle around a test track at a steady speed of 40-50 km/hr. At no point in the test, does he switch the motorcycle off and then restart it because it would use up fuel. The 'start stop' would by that logic use lesser fuel to start up than a conventional starting but it would still use greater fuel as compared to just riding it around at a steady speed.

I think, even on the Ismart, just for the reason mentioned above- Hero would not have switched the motorcycle off and on when it was under the 'standard test conditions'. If you did not use that technology in the standard test conditions, why are you putting it up as a defence to support the high mileage claim?
rahul4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 17:40   #12
Team-BHP Support

I'm not a bike person but isn't claiming 100 kmpl old hat for the 100cc segment? Back when they were introduced I remember the claims of competing bike manufacturers successively getting closer and closer to that mark!

I think the bone of contention is that Hero is not reporting ARAI mileage which are at least widely accepted by consumers (with a suitable discounting factor of course). The least you expect is that all vehicles be tested for FE by the same authority.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 17:52   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I'm not a bike person but isn't claiming 100 kmpl old hat for the 100cc segment? Back when they were introduced I remember the claims of competing bike manufacturers successively getting closer and closer to that mark!
Yes, you are correct. Bajaj Platina even claimed 108 KMPL; probably the topper on the list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I think the bone of contention is that Hero is not reporting ARAI mileage which are at least widely accepted by consumers (with a suitable discounting factor of course). The least you expect is that all vehicles be tested for FE by the same authority.
Probably Honda is annoyed of the fact that it is an engine basically developed by Honda itself. But as we all know that these tall FE claims (of 80-90+) are never realistic.
saket77 is online now   Reply With Quote