Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 12th June 2015, 15:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Finger numbness from long riding - any solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSDey View Post
I also didn't have a soft grip, nor gloves.

(
No Gloves!! Protection to yourself. First rule in the book.
danlalan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2015, 17:41   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Finger numbness from long rides - Any solution?

Quote:
My bike, the ST7, is quite heavy. Whenever I ride it I have a tingling sensation in my thumb and fingers, which usually goes away after a while.

Last week, I rode to Goa and back, total of 1300 kms, in about 48 hours, with a total of about 30 hours riding. It was a hectic ride and all through, I had this finger tingling, followed by numbness. I thought it would get okay after return, so I didn't mind.

It has been 10 days now, and my fingers on both hands are still numb, sometimes tingling, and very uncomfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's a thumb rule with cars to take a break every 2 hours. Step out, stretch, move around, let the blood flow, get fresh. This greatly helps the body & concentration levels on long highway drives.

Perhaps the frequency should be higher with motorcycles? Did you take frequent breaks?
Not sure what can you do medically except physiotherapy.
what you have described normally happens on sport tourers and super sports and I am surprised that you're facing this on a cruiser where you do not have much weight on the hands. Again an L-Twin such as your bike has less 'buzz' than a parallel twin. I have faced a milder version of this on my Ninja after a Goa ride but it went away after a hot shower!

My suggestions to avoid this in future:
# Fatter and softer grips. The fatter part is important if you have large hands.
# Heavier bar end weights

As GTO put it, the importance of a break cannot be ignored. We follow a 60 to 90 minute schedule for a break on long rides. A break maybe just 2 minutes but ideally you should dismount and walk around a bit for it to be effective!

Last but not the least, please ride with proper gear - a good pair of gloves are an essential item for a rider.
viper_711 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2015, 18:55   #18
BHPian

I completely agree with @Sheel - change your position/posture, move a bit and let the blood circulate. Also, if one is a regular biker, he must hit the gym for that extra stamina and flexibility, IMO.
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 02:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
It has been 10 days now, and my fingers on both hands are still numb, sometimes tingling, and very uncomfortable.
Mate, you seem to have a pinched or stress-stretched nerve. Please go see a neurologist right away; nerve injuries, even if stress induced, are not to be taken lightly. They tend to heal very slowly and show little symptoms even when the underlying cause is significant. Trust me, I was riding around for a few days with a serious spinal cord injury in my neck with some tingling and numbness here and there and nothing else! An MRI scan saved me from an impending paralysis.
Your long ride might have only aggravated an existing condition - you need to consult a doctor.

Post that, get back to riding with all the suggestions others have already listed out.
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 05:07   #20

I am a doc and you symptoms are worrying. I too get these pins and needles but they settle down. At ten days it's worrying. There are various reasons for your symptoms. Nerves are like electric wires from the brain to other parts and vice versa. These nerves can be affected at any point to cause such symptoms. I recommend you to get an urgent medical assessment asap. Sparsh is a fantastic place and Dr sharan patil is a good person. Please get this thing sorted first bike is secondary here.
docmech is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 14:19   #21
BANNED

Quote:
My bike, the ST7, is quite heavy. Whenever I ride it I have a tingling sensation in my thumb and fingers, which usually goes away after a while.

Anyone know what to do, medically?
Hi there.

Dunno if I can help you medically other than recommending visiting a physiotherapist ASAP.

But I can suggest something to prevent this from happening in the future.

Buy a set of these:

http://www.vibranator.com/

They don't have ST7 listed, but I am sure you can email them with your bar size, and they will have a suitable one.

They Work!!

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2015, 06:27   #22
BHPian

I talked with Don. He says he needs me to measure my handlebars, but he can get it done for me. $25 he says is shipping.

Do you have any idea what it will cost, including customs and taxes? I think the price for HD ones are $99. So I am guessing it will cost around $200 to bring it to India. Is that about right? How much did it cost you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Hi there.

Dunno if I can help you medically other than recommending visiting a physiotherapist ASAP.

But I can suggest something to prevent this from happening in the future.

Buy a set of these:

http://www.vibranator.com/

They don't have ST7 listed, but I am sure you can email them with your bar size, and they will have a suitable one.

They Work!!

Cheers

Ride Safe.
MrSDey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 04:46   #23
BHPian

Welcome to the club. I'm 33 now, and I thought I am developing arthritis. I thought of setting my own personal record and did 1000 kms in 24 hours window (Including rests). Result: Stiff arms, Tingling and numbed fingers, which did not go away even after two days.

I was riding a CBR250 when I faced this issue.

Root cause:
1. Vibration and need for speed/High RPM:
Engine vibration and road disturbances - Transferred via the handlebars. I tried buying better gloves (with gel), adjusting handlebars. And then I bought the superlow 883. For the same distance, I was much comfortable. Attribute it to vibrations building up at higher RPMs, compared to low RPM of the HD. Crusing at low RPMs will reduce this issue. Also the riding posture will define the pressure I'm applying to get a grip on the handles.

2. Lack of frequent breaks. There is no minimum duration. It can be as low as 15 min break if fatigue is evident.

3. Attitude:
Without any regard to my health and my limits, and for the sake of my personal records, I tormented myself to hit the fancy 4 digit figure.
I think it was my last record, until I upgraded my bike.

P.S.: I ride a 6 cylinder GTL1600 these days. Really refined engine and relatively muted vibrations. Cruising at low RPM keeps me comfortable these days.
devsoftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 19:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Finger numbness from long riding - any solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
No Gloves!! Protection to yourself. First rule in the book.
I dont have a clue as to how (and WHY) people choose to ride without gloves. To me, its so unnatural. It just feels ............ wrong!
Urban_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 20:39   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Other than that, I think tingling and numbness shall not be taken lightly. This may be associated with brain or with pinching of the nerves. So better to consult a doctor if the numbness persists. Age 38 is not old but it is not 25-30 either. Better to pay attention to such symptoms.

Have you read about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

The main nerve to the hand, called the median nerve, passes through a band of tendons in the wrist called the carpal tunnel. Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when the area becomes inflamed, pinching the nerve and causing tingling and numbness in the hand and fingers. Repetitive movement from computer work, factory work, or anything that stresses the wrist and forearms can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome. The condition can also cause hand weakness, making it hard to grip objects. Carpal tunnel can run in families. Obesity, diabetes, arthritis, pregnancy, and other conditions often occur with carpal tunnel syndrome. However, anyone with repetitive stress of the hand or wrist can develop the condition.
100% agree. This seems to be very much a case of Carpal Tunnel syndrome, caused by pinching of the nerves. This is medical condition and I think you may need to consult a neurologist, if it is persistent. Avoid any load on your hands till you have this checked (eg. you should stop riding your bike, it may worsen the condition). Don't want to sound a doomsday alarm, but people have had to go in for spinal surgery to address the issue of nerve pinching.

As a therapeutic alternative, you could consult a yoga therapist (note, not a regular yoga teacher, but a therapist). PM me if you want to go down that path and I can suggest someone in Bangalore.
reverse_gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 00:12   #26
BHPian

Mr S Dey
First of all I am a not a doctor.
Do consult your doctor as once you remove the cause the effect, in this case the numbness, should not last 10 days.
You havnt mentioned your age and if you are over 40 just a simple precaution. Get an X-ray done. If, repeat if, it is spondylosis a simple exercise and a little rest can cure it. There is hardly any need for any medication.
On TeamBHP we have a thread about doctors. Please post your query.
Hope this helps
Regards
PS: For these simple things I dont go to hi fi hospitals as they charge a lot

Last edited by faustus77 : 17th June 2015 at 00:13.
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 23:55   #27
BHPian

MrSDey have you ever had any injury on your hand? As 10 days is a very long time and your hand should have been normal by now. And as I have read your post on this thread which says that you have been riding motorcycle since long so this is not the first motorcycle.
Good that you are going to the doctor to show it. Keep us updated. Also. try to get advice from some physiotherapist as well. Till you get the check up done, try not to ride.
Shivanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 09:13   #28
BHPian

I just wanted to add a couple point not discussed here, the tingling feeling can also occur due to numbness, i.e. one body part being under press for long tends to have difficult blood flow, this generally happens by uncomfortable riding position to reach like handlebar height, or if your hands are pressing(with some force) against handlebar instead of resting. I can venture a bit far and say butts cusion lot of nerves during rides they might be affected by blood flow if ignored for to long. I just shared my experience, and I tend to take breaks about 60-90 minutes and do a bit of walk mostly. I had problems with hand only on RTR on hill rides since my hands were pressing against during descent.
saargoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 12:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

SDey, can you please share the diagnosis with this forum.
Frankly, it is like a speculation game here with everyone quipping in with cliched guesses.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2016, 22:48   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
The fellow BHPians have given good suggestions above.

Other than that, I think tingling and numbness shall not be taken lightly. This may be associated with brain or with pinching of the nerves. So better to consult a doctor if the numbness persists. Age 38 is not old but it is not 25-30 either. Better to pay attention to such symptoms.

Have you read about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Quote:

Last week, I rode to Goa and back, total of 1300 kms, in about 48 hours, with a total of about 30 hours riding. It was a hectic ride and all through, I had this finger tingling, followed by numbness. I thought it would get okay after return, so I didn't mind.

Anyone experienced this before? For this long?

Anyone know what to do, medically?
Dey saab, I had exactly the same issue. Except I never bothered to look up my symptoms. Mr Bhalgat has nailed a primary reason - CTS. What was your issue?

I have CTS - even 2 months after my ride (1700km in 5 days to/fro Spiti) and a fortune spent on doctors, I have occasional residual numbness but I feel 80% better. Even in this improved state, i tested as grade 4. Got two steroid injections - while I can do most things, I can't ride. After 20-30 speed breakers (i.e 10km!) numbness returns.

For now, my plan is to rest the hand more, type less, get more physio and hope it goes away in time. Then i may get a more upright handlebar for the CBR. if not, i'll sell it. But that's only by September or so. Let's see.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote