Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 2nd June 2015, 11:26   #16
BHPian

Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
I keep hearing these sort of problems with the KTM bikes and end up having a question in my mind. Are they so vulnerable even to a water wash ? What sort of quality is ensured by Bajaj ? Some times I feel proud of them for their courage in doing things out of box, but I am equally disappointed by their mindset towards quality.
Can't have the best of all worlds. Can we ? These are legendary machines that cost nowhere near what they would if they were built bulletproof.

REs of sportsbikes in India is what I would call them. Tremendous cycle parts providing an experience next to none at cost that is as affordable as it can get. I guess reliability was always going to be in question when the price tag came out. It is a machine that will pleasure you but needs to be kept happy as well, else you will definitely be told !
Sojogator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 12:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
I dont know if these service guys will be careful with the wash, ever. Earlier, some water seeped into the LHS indicator after their "thorough" wash.
Its not due to the wash. Its because of the damaged indicator. Water/moisture will enter the indicator even in small rain once the indicator seal is busted.

Quote:
I keep hearing these sort of problems with the KTM bikes and end up having a question in my mind. Are they so vulnerable even to a water wash?
How many KTMs have you heard about that was damaged due to a water wash?
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 13:19   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Its not due to the wash. Its because of the damaged indicator. Water/moisture will enter the indicator even in small rain once the indicator seal is busted.
Agreed that it is due to faulty seal. But it happened right after the water wash. Usually we see moisture as fine layer of vapour on the glass. But this time it was droplets. Anyways they replaced it under warranty.
mithunvvijayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 13:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Can't have the best of all worlds. Can we ? These are legendary machines that cost nowhere near what they would if they were built bulletproof.

REs of sportsbikes in India is what I would call them. Tremendous cycle parts providing an experience next to none at cost that is as affordable as it can get. I guess reliability was always going to be in question when the price tag came out. It is a machine that will pleasure you but needs to be kept happy as well, else you will definitely be told !
My doctor friend in Australia tells me that the Duke 390 retails there for more than the Ninja 300 and is more expensive as well to insure and register (they register bikes annually there - you can choose to not renew the registration each year, and register it only when you want to run it apparently).

A lot of the grumbling we hear in India stems from ghar ki murgi daal barabar syndrome. The firangs who pay top bucks for the same KTMs will also grumble. But there the KTM issues will not be put down to words like "cheap" - preferring the more glamorous "temperamental" or "high strung/maintenance exotic" instead.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 13:47   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I second that. Pressure washing on electronics is discouraged for all non-KTM brand manuals as well anyways. People tend to make mountains out of molehills.
anilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 14:03   #21
BHPian

Are the KTM issues prevalent outside India too ?

Asking this because, I know, personally, that a reputed jap car manufacturer, who have a manufacturing unit in western India, sort out the parts by 'to be exported' and 'local assembly' based on way it passes the QC. Fewer glitched ones would be exported and the ones with more would be used to manufacture vehicles for India.

And yes, I have read and heard multiple times that pressure wash is not a good idea for a two wheeler. A pressure created by the garden pipe is more than enough needed to clean them up.

Last edited by Sojogator : 2nd June 2015 at 14:04.
Sojogator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 14:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:

I was referring in general about the minor niggles/irritants that many people talk about the KTM bikes. So when I heard about mithunvvijayan's issue, I was very curious and questioning myself on how that could happen just by a plain water wash. As you pointed out, it may be due to some other reason not attributing to the parts quality, but still there is a perception on the quality which can be changed if Bajaj puts some more effort. I know a couple of my friends who moved away from KTM just because of the negative perception about the brand. I have even heard about Bajaj rectifying some of the niggles in the newer versions and that is the way to go. Probably there is some more scope for Bajaj to change the perceptions.

Sojogator - That is shocking to hear. Not sure what it says about Brand India.

Last edited by shan_ned : 2nd June 2015 at 15:05.
shan_ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 15:09   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I was referring in general about the minor niggles/irritants that many people talk about the KTM bikes. So when I heard about mithunvvijayan's issue, I was very curious and questioning myself on how that could happen just by a plain water wash. As you pointed out, it may be due to some other reason not attributing to the parts quality, but still there is a perception on the quality which can be changed if Bajaj puts some more effort. I know a couple of my friends who moved away from KTM just because of the negative perception about the brand. I have even heard about Bajaj rectifying some of the niggles in the newer versions and that is the way to go. Probably there is some more scope for Bajaj to change the perceptions.
As I see it, there is a lot of scope for improvement as far as service is concerned. But then, I have been pampered by the outstanding service from Maruti, for my car. As far as the indicator is concerned, Bajaj has brought out a new design with a rubber covering, with the 2015 models. Why, I don't know.
Old 2nd June 2015, 15:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sojogator - That is shocking to hear. Not sure what it says about Brand India.
Personally I find that the KTMs are excellent products as built by the factory.

Where they are beginning to slide behind, and not showing too much inclination or urgency (from the company side) of arresting that slide, is on the service side.

That side from what I have noted over the past few months has become the Bajaj of old. With the dealer ASCs overworked. Not able to cater to the growing number of bikes. And the service side of the company sadly no longer as attentive or customer focused as in the past.

The obvious inference for the biker community at large would be that this is inevitable once a brand establishes itself and no longer needs word of mouth marketing from end users and the community at large to sell their product.

If that were true, then it speaks poorly of our country and us as a people in front of hardcore Western marques like KTM who are simply not used to this sort of culture.

It is this sort of culture which in the long run gets spoken about on various platforms and comes to be identified as the "Indian" way.

And when that happens, foreign players who would not dare do anything even remotely out of norm in their own populations, then come here to our land and take our population for granted.

So yes, in a way, we ask for what we get. The industry for the way it changes with the sales graph, and we the customers for putting up with it, finding workarounds, "adjusting" and simply not putting our feet down hard and demanding more.

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd June 2015 at 15:30.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 17:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

It is this sort of culture which in the long run gets spoken about on various platforms and comes to be identified as the "Indian" way.
had another issue with KTM service a year back, dropped an e-mail to KTM Boss Stefan Pierer. Within a few hours the the e-mail was forwarded to Amit Nandi and guess what, he never replied or acknowledged.

I have personally sent out e-mails about poor service quality and negative feedback to HDFC Bank CEO and Airtel CEO as well. Airtel is the best when it comes to talking to a customer who is not happy and they do best to make things right.

HDFC Bank acknowledged on e-mail and resolved the issue. Bajaj, well guess Bajaj India needs an open letter on the internet informing them about the downfall in after sales customer service.

Last edited by munchy_cool : 2nd June 2015 at 17:18.
munchy_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 17:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
had another issue with KTM service a year back, dropped an e-mail to KTM Boss Stefan Pierer. Within a few hours the the e-mail was forwarded to Amit Nandi and guess what, he never replied or acknowledged.

I have personally sent out e-mails about poor service quality and negative feedback to HDFC Bank CEO and Airtel CEO as well. Airtel is the best when it comes to talking to a customer who is not happy and they do best to make things right.

HDFC Bank acknowledged on e-mail and resolved the issue. Bajaj, well guess Bajaj India needs an open letter on the internet informing them about the downfall in after sales customer service.
I have taken up this matter in a one on one email with the Head of Service for KTM in India.

Have known him for many many years now. Old school guy. Am confident he will see where things are going before it is too late.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 17:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I have taken up this matter in a one on one email with the Head of Service for KTM in India.

Have known him for many many years now. Old school guy. Am confident he will see where things are going before it is too late.
good to know. Also, maybe you can pass on another example. In my case, they have already serviced the bike (changed engine oil, coolant and all, that's what I was told on the phone) without fixing the main issue (high coolant temperature) and are now working on the issue they should have worked on first.

And guess what if the bike needs an ECU replacement I cannot afford it right now so they are in for a surprise and some e-mails to the higher ups, because IMHO it doesn't make sense to change all those things without fixing the main issue first. I ain't going to pay them for the service and labor if the ECU needs to be replaced as I am not getting it replaced, instead getting the bike towed back to my residence.
Old 2nd June 2015, 17:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Personally I find that the KTMs are excellent products as built by the factory.

Where they are beginning to slide behind, and not showing too much inclination or urgency (from the company side) of arresting that slide, is on the service side.

That side from what I have noted over the past few months has become the Bajaj of old. With the dealer ASCs overworked. Not able to cater to the growing number of bikes. And the service side of the company sadly no longer as attentive or customer focused as in the past.

The obvious inference for the biker community at large would be that this is inevitable once a brand establishes itself and no longer needs word of mouth marketing from end users and the community at large to sell their product.

If that were true, then it speaks poorly of our country and us as a people in front of hardcore Western marques like KTM who are simply not used to this sort of culture.

And when that happens, foreign players who would not dare do anything even remotely out of norm in their own populations, then come here to our land and take our population for granted.

So yes, in a way, we ask for what we get. The industry for the way it changes with the sales graph, and we the customers for putting up with it, finding workarounds, "adjusting" and simply not putting our feet down hard and demanding more.
I totally agree with you, doc, on the quality of the bikes while they leave showroom and the sloppy service which causes all the aftersales issues. I don't know if you remember, I had to take a cross country trip to rectify some issues. My motivation was that the valve clearance check at 1000kms which are mentioned in the service booklet in Europian bikes( sold in europe), is totally omitted in our service manual. And I decided it was a cost cutting tactic which must have been orchestrated by the Bajaj side.

But, we have other examples of foreign owned, Indian made brands like Suzuki, doing everything in the book to give the best aftersales possible. And their aftersales network is still burgeoning.
Old 2nd June 2015, 17:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

You guys can share your opinions and travails from across the country here.

In the old days there used to be Bajaj guys glued to my Baby Duke thread getting feedback and working on things.

I don't know if such is the case anymore. And would not be very surprised if it isn't.

However, have shared the link of the thread with the Service Head, so hopefully even if he does not find the time, some down the line guy would be deputed to do the needful.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 15:36   #30
BHPian

called up the service center for an update on my bike, they are waiting for a 2012 D200 to arrive for service so that they can try swapping the ECU and see if the issue remains.

They have done all other checks including the wiring harness and the issue persists. Surprised that service center does not have a spare ECU to check and are waiting for another D200 (that too for service) to swap and check the ECU. This experience from Bajaj Service Center is forcing me to sell of the D200 once I get it fixed.