Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 22nd June 2015, 13:32   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield UCE500: EFI to Carburettor Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_shimla View Post
What I failed to understand is the sole reason of this conversion so it will be great for my understanding if you can elaborate a little bit as I too have plans to buy a Thunderbird 500 very soon.
The reason for the switch was mentioned a few posts earlier. I don't believe the newer UCE engined bikes exhibit the same trait as RE has been constantly making improvements to the bikes.
bikertillidie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 13:42   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik810 View Post
Hi,
- The BS26 carb (stock AVL carb) has a 26 mm inner diameter and the intake manifold of my bike also has a 26 mm inner diameter. Hence, if i install the 32 mm carb, then the intake manifold will still have a 26 mm diameter. So will it make any difference in performance? Will I be able to mount it successfully? How do I manage the difference in these 2 diameters?
It's best to stick to a carb which matches the size of the inlet manifold. Mounting a BS32 carb onto a manifold having a diameter which is 6 mm smaller will have a restrictive effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik810 View Post
- Second thing is, many members told me that BS32 will require up jetting. What exactly does it mean? Do i need to install jets with bigger diameter or do i need to drill hole in the stock ones? If i need to install bigger jets then where will i get those from?

A bit of detailed guidance required please. Thank you!
Up-jetting refers to installing jets having a bigger orifice as you have correctly mentioned.
You can try local auto parts stores or ebay to get hold of the jets needed.
If correct sized jets are not readily available, you may wish to experiment by drilling through the existing smaller jets to make them bigger.
bikertillidie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 14:01   #48
BHPian

Attempted to troubleshoot a fault code by grounding the wire shown (located within the left tool box).

Checked the blinking MIL - 5 long flashes, 6 short ones.

Is anyone aware which sensor malfunction this corresponds to?
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield UCE500: EFI to Carburettor Conversion-dsc_0185.jpg  

bikertillidie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 14:11   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertillidie View Post
Attempted to troubleshoot a fault code by grounding the wire shown (located within the left tool box).

Checked the blinking MIL - 5 long flashes, 6 short ones.

Is anyone aware which sensor malfunction this corresponds to?
Here is an extract from the service manual

Name:  MIL.jpg
Views: 2097
Size:  109.4 KB

The last one is long 6 short 6

regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 26th June 2015 at 14:13.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 15:04   #50
BHPian

Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertillidie View Post
Thanks.
I will check whether the pilot jets are available locally.

This is what I have picked up. Would look more appropriate on a vintage bike though ...
that's a really bad button/switch. i converted my DS to carb and wanted to use similar switch. It shot circuits very easily and is very flimsy. I went thru about 6 of then and gave up. would advise you to use some other option.
krcustoms is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 18:44   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Here is an extract from the service manual
The last one is long 6 short 6
regards adrian
Thanks a lot Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcustoms View Post
that's a really bad button/switch. i converted my DS to carb and wanted to use similar switch. It shot circuits very easily and is very flimsy. I went thru about 6 of then and gave up. would advise you to use some other option.
Agreed krcustoms !

The switch certainly doesn't mark the epitome of quality.
I have taken certain precautions to prolong it's life.

Will eventually figure out some other non-obvious way to engage the choke.
Old 27th June 2015, 00:43   #52

Just wondering, why not go in for carburetor setup of Standard Bullet 500? That would be much more easier.
ukalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 20:55   #53
BHPian

Smile Re: Royal Enfield UCE500: EFI to Carburettor Conversion

Hi, just saw this thread. I have this set-up (done by RE service centre chennai) when the fuel pump went kaput and it cost me 7.8k whereas the new fuel pump costs about 13k. I have it for over 2 months now and I didn't have any problems. It is pretty good and the carb was from Bullet 500. Due to bypassing the EFI unit, I should start the bike the moment the kill switch is turned on. Anyway to resolve this? People say if I change the starter motor/coil to the classic 350 one or the bullet 500 one, it will be resolved as well. Any suggestions?
Astonite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2015, 11:22   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukalia View Post
Just wondering, why not go in for carburetor setup of Standard Bullet 500? That would be much more easier.
Hi ukalia,
The key driver for choosing the BS32 carb from the pulsar 220 over the UCD33 from the bullet 500 is to save on costs.

The BS32 costs about 2.7K INR whereas the UCD33 is priced around 5.1K INR.
Old 7th July 2015, 08:00   #55
BHPian

After spending quite some time on building hybrid carb conversion kits for the FI enfields and performing quite a lot of tests on them ,for the benefit of the DIY folks i thought i will just put in some points

-The best carb to use would be the one from the Bullet 500 (called UCD 33),it runs a main jet of 130,a pilot of 15 ,comes with a manual choke and a TPS pick-up and very different needle jet and internals compared to the pulsar carb

-You will find a significant difference in performance between the pulsar BS 33 and the UCD 33 due to the different internals .

-The inlet manifold will need to be one which would suit the 33 carb ,it is short as well to ensure the carb top does not foul with the head support area -need to use the part no which comes on the bullet 500

-The TPS is an important to be rigged right to ensure that the ECU gets the right voltage to vary the ignition timing as per throttle position .In the throttle body the TPS works clockwise and when connected to the carb it works anticlockwise which results in inverting the curve .The fix for it is to interchange the polarity on the TPS .in case of the classics the TPS will carry a blue,red and a black wire .While the blue wire remains where it is , the red and black will need to be interchanged .ie cut the red wire and connect to black , and connect the black wire to red (put in a drop of solder to keep it tight or try interchanging on socket which is the better than cutting !!) . This will ensure that your TPS is sending the right throttle position to the ECU

-The MAP sensor usually senses pressure in the inlet and sends feedback to the ECU .Although it is primarily related to the fuelling,the ECU fails the self test when it isnt connected .The key reason for doing the switch off and on before starting as someone mentioned here .Fix for that is to remove the map sensor from your throttle body (it is the other black sensor on the Throttle boy held in place by a small metal plate) and socket it into your wiring harness .it would have pin hole in it and the entire sensor would need to be taped up with insulation tape to ensure it is air tight for the system to work perfectly .The need to swith off and on problem will be sorted

-The air intake side of the BS carb is 51 mm and much larger than the stock rubber hoses .do ensure that you get something of the right size if not the air flow will be heavily compromised .

Hope this helps

Prashanth

(GreaseHouse Customs /IndiMotard)

Last edited by Voyager : 7th July 2015 at 08:04.
Voyager is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 09:30   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
After spending quite some time on building hybrid carb conversion kits for the FI enfields and performing quite a lot of tests on them ,for the benefit of the DIY folks i thought i will just put in some points
Hello Prashanth,
Thanks for the info for DIY folks, keeping aside your business interests. Your passion is very much evident from the above description.

With a sharp needle or pin, one can pull out the pins from the connector safely and swap positions. No need for cutting and soldering. What say?

Last edited by ampere : 11th July 2015 at 16:16. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post.
ilangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 15:26   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post

-The TPS is an important to be rigged right to ensure that the ECU gets the right voltage to vary the ignition timing as per throttle position .In the throttle body the TPS works clockwise and when connected to the carb it works anticlockwise which results in inverting the curve .The fix for it is to interchange the polarity on the TPS .in case of the classics the TPS will carry a blue,red and a black wire .While the blue wire remains where it is , the red and black will need to be interchanged .ie cut the red wire and connect to black , and connect the black wire to red (put in a drop of solder to keep it tight or try interchanging on socket which is the better than cutting !!) . This will ensure that your TPS is sending the right throttle position to the ECU

(GreaseHouse Customs /IndiMotard)
Thanks for these inputs Prashanth.

I' ll mount the TPS sensor to the carb once it's warranty runs out (ensuring the red & black wires are swapped during the process).
At present, the tab for mounting the TPS remains sealed off.

Last edited by bikertillidie : 7th July 2015 at 15:32. Reason: Added an extra line
Old 9th July 2015, 21:26   #58
BHPian

Wow. great conversion from EFI to Carb. Now that you have me thinking, I am buying my first Royal Enfield - The Classic 500 with EFI (Yes the RE bug bit me). Now I need a little suggestion, will it be a wise decision to buy a Classic 500 with EFI or should I go with the Bullet 500?
I don't have any experience in any mechanical troubleshooting and will have to rely on the RE mechanics.
Any suggestions?
kanu2k15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 09:16   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanu2k15 View Post
Wow. great conversion from EFI to Carb. Now that you have me thinking, I am buying my first Royal Enfield - The Classic 500 with EFI (Yes the RE bug bit me). Now I need a little suggestion, will it be a wise decision to buy a Classic 500 with EFI or should I go with the Bullet 500?
I don't have any experience in any mechanical troubleshooting and will have to rely on the RE mechanics.
Any suggestions?
Owning a RE is a long term relationship and hence go by what your heart says. Book a CL500 EFI. If at all some problem crops up, you can always carburet the engine at a lesser cost than even adding a disc brake in a Standard 500.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 09:51   #60
BHPian

Thank you for the suggestion mate. I will try my luck for the despatch version coming next week, otherwise will get a classic 500 silver.
kanu2k15 is offline   Reply With Quote