Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 30th July 2015, 14:15   #16
BHPian

Default re: Honda CBR 250R vs KTM RC 200 vs Pulsar RS200

Since the bike looking puny seems to be a deterrent, let me pitch in.

I own a 2008 R15. I am 6 feet and almost a quintal, probably well over with all the gears on, so it looks like 2 wheels, few lights and me gliding through the menacing Bengaluru traffic cloud bursts.

Now I do not mind that look one bit because
1. I cannot see myself riding and
2. I can throw it around like a bicycle, which is a blessing in the traffic in our city.
The agility will allow you have complete control at all times and avert dangers that you wouldn't be able to otherwise, while on a bike that suits your size.

So, I would dump my money on the D200 in spite of the servicing torment that I might have to face once in every 6 months. But since you are not in for one, I would use the method of rejection to zero in on the choice.

The RC is perfect for not riding in our traffic. The posture, the power delivery and the quality issues will concoct a potion that will have you take to the Rapid very rapidly.

The RS is another one that is not very traffic friendly. The posture is better. The power delivery is not traffic friendly. Also, with all those cowls and panels, a scratch and crack will never be far away and I am not even mentioning the umpteen times you will be rear ended at low speeds while in traffic clogs, which in case of the RS will make sure you spend on another of those third-eye tail lamps. Quality control will be the other thorn in the bush as mentioned already.

That leaves us with the Ceeber. Smooth. Reliable. Comfortable posture (Yup ! If you are sitting right it won't cause any trouble once you are with it for a week or so). Service is not a pain either unlike the other 2 where the sheer numbers and Bajaj service quality might be able to drive you nuts in no time. A hassle free experience is what I would explain.

So the Honda !

Last edited by Sojogator : 30th July 2015 at 14:17.
Sojogator is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 14:34   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manas5 View Post
Hi Guys,

The bangalore traffic has now made me sick of driving my Rapid TDi everyday to work. At this point I regret selling off my trusty Pulsar 220. And have decided to get back on two wheels. I need your help in deciding for what to buy. Before you suggest I'd jot down my requirements.

Budget : 1 - 1.5 Lakhs
Height : 6 feet 2 inches
Weight : 88 kgs
Usage : Mostly driving to work that is 8 kms from hy home. And occasional highway tours (will be very rare though)

I have now shortlisted the below options
- A used Honda CBR250R : Which model should I look for. And what price bracket should I find this for?

- A used KTM RC 200 : I find this bike the best looking of the lot. Is a much more aggresive stance. Would you recommend this for my height and build? And again what price bracket should I set for this?

- A new Bajaj Pulsar RS200 : This fits my requirements perfectly. It's a more relaxed seated bike and stands somewhere between a tourer and a sporty bike (definitely not a Race Sport bike as bajaj calls it). I do not like the red and yellow colors which are being sold right now but can wait till the all black version comes out. I know the design is a bit over done and there are some reports about broken alloys and handlebars are around, but I can wait till a revision happens (if it happens soon).

- And lastly, will it make sense to get a Pulsar 220 again?

I'd really appreciate your comments and suggestions which can help me decide on what to buy.

Thanks!
Although you haven't list Duke 200 in your list but just as a suggestion it makes a very good power commuter.

I have owned a Duke 200 for 3 years and initial two years it was my daily commute bike to office(11+11kms). Almost half of this distance was packed with traffic and rest open stretches. Daily commute was a treat with this bike and absolute joy on almost every front. Its easy to maneuver in traffic. The rapid acceleration on open stretches and red light GPs was like a recharge after days work. For my 6ft height and lean built riding posture was very comfortable compared to any other bike in 200-400cc segment. Never faced any issue with shocks(many customers faced early leaking with front shocks). Sometimes in worst jam and Delhi's peak summers the heat from radiator made it very hard to ride. But apart from this the power commuting made every thing else too minuscule. On long rides hard seat and being a street bike the wind blast one has to face is no doubt more than a full-fared bike.

With my limited experience of riding CBR 250R i can say it is definitely a bigger bike in terms of size and offers great highway ride ability.

Not to offend anybody but here is what i feel in one line. CBR 250 is an exceptional bike for tourers at this price point but Duke 200 is something that no matter what your age is will definitely make you feel young and agile while commuting.
One last pointer: The pillion seat on duke is made only for the sake of it, within city limits one wont complain much but as soon as you plan anything ~40kms or more the experience will be so bad that he/she might deny any further ride with you.

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 30th July 2015 at 14:39.
saurabh041086 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 19:31   #18

The RS might seem a little over decaled but in real life its not all that bad. The stickering is mostly lacquered in so no point in going down that road. Sit on it and send it for a quick spin and you'll see its not really in your face!
As an option you can always go to a place like Motor Mind and get it done up in matt black or what ever you like! Though you must post the pics if you do it, would look awesome.
Looks aside, it seems like a really good bet!
joshlance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 23:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

I'm also in a similar situation,having sold my Pulsar 180 looking to upgrade to a Duke 200.

I was told by friends who own dukes to buy a 2014 or 2013 bike and not a 2012 bike.

Could some of the owners help me out with inspecting a used bike? What specific things to look for and how do I make out if the bike's been in a crash ?

Also what the right price to pay for a year old Duke 200 in Bangalore?

Many owners expect 1.3 to 1.4 lakhs which i feel is too high since a new bike can be bought for 1.65 or so. I'm thinking something between 1 to 1.1 lakhs depending on condition.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 01:59   #20
BHPian

I bought an used Duke 200 last year. It was a 2012 model with 11k on the odo.
Had some issues initially, i had to change fuel pump,cone set,sprocket but after that it was a pleasurable ownership.
Yes in city traffic, Duke is very agile and lot of fun. I even took it to Kolli hills from chennai. Total trip=830kms.It performed very well. My previous bike was Pulsar 200.
Duke is a much much better bike.
You can get an used Duke for less than 1L for sure..Good luck!!!
Alternatively,You can buy something like a Gixxer or Unicorn 160. Both are wonderful and fast commuters.
rock18 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 10:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanenanigans View Post
I haven't owned a pulsar 220, but I can tell you that the CBR seat is higher than the Duke's. If you find the Duke small, it's just better to go for the CBR. Also, the pillion of the CBR is excellent for both my mom and my girlfriend. They felt no discomfort and are kinda happy I didn't get the Duke.

I've not found the manoeuvrability of the CBR a problem in traffic, it's just that the gearing of the first and second takes some time to get used to. Took about four days of riding to work in peak hours to get a good grip on that.

It's better to just take a test ride than bite the bullet. I didn't take a test ride of the CBR250R, but I did sit on the 150R before I moved to Bangalore ( when I had sprained my ankle, no less ) and thought I'd never be able to adjust to it. However, when I got the 250R, it was just comfortable. Since you're a good 2 inches taller than I am, you're going to have to take a test ride or sit on it at least.

Since you're not stranger to a slight lean ahead on the handlebars, you should feel at home on the CBR.

Of course that's my opinion.
Thanks for sharing. It's good to know that the pillion seat is comfortable too. I'll try to take a test ride and let you guys know how it feels :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
I've ridden CBR 250R(Abs) in Bangalore traffic for a good 4 years. Here are my observations:
  1. Riding position is a bit aggressive: I am 5'9" and though my feet rest flat on the ground while seated, I do get wrist pain after long riding in stop-and-go traffic. Never got backache though.
  2. Handling is superb: Even in the stop-and-go traffic, I can plod along in 1st or 2nd gear and the bike remains upright and does not do the honeybee-mating-dance that I've seen many slow-moving 2-wheelers doing.
  3. Good quality and headache-free ownership experience: Never had any problems with the bike come rain or sun.
Go for CBR.
Thanks farhad. I found a honda showroom on outer ring road. Will try to take a test ride in that traffic and see how it feels. But it's good to know that the CBR is low maintenance in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Since the bike looking puny seems to be a deterrent, let me pitch in.

I own a 2008 R15. I am 6 feet and almost a quintal, probably well over with all the gears on, so it looks like 2 wheels, few lights and me gliding through the menacing Bengaluru traffic cloud bursts.

Now I do not mind that look one bit because
1. I cannot see myself riding and
2. I can throw it around like a bicycle, which is a blessing in the traffic in our city.
The agility will allow you have complete control at all times and avert dangers that you wouldn't be able to otherwise, while on a bike that suits your size.

So, I would dump my money on the D200 in spite of the servicing torment that I might have to face once in every 6 months. But since you are not in for one, I would use the method of rejection to zero in on the choice.

The RC is perfect for not riding in our traffic. The posture, the power delivery and the quality issues will concoct a potion that will have you take to the Rapid very rapidly.

The RS is another one that is not very traffic friendly. The posture is better. The power delivery is not traffic friendly. Also, with all those cowls and panels, a scratch and crack will never be far away and I am not even mentioning the umpteen times you will be rear ended at low speeds while in traffic clogs, which in case of the RS will make sure you spend on another of those third-eye tail lamps. Quality control will be the other thorn in the bush as mentioned already.

That leaves us with the Ceeber. Smooth. Reliable. Comfortable posture (Yup ! If you are sitting right it won't cause any trouble once you are with it for a week or so). Service is not a pain either unlike the other 2 where the sheer numbers and Bajaj service quality might be able to drive you nuts in no time. A hassle free experience is what I would explain.

So the Honda !
Hehe. It's nice to hear how you glide around. Your perspective makes sense too. But even if I overlook the fact of how the bike looks when I sit on it, the pillion seat is another deciding factor. So I'll inch towards the ceeber. Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Although you haven't list Duke 200 in your list but just as a suggestion it makes a very good power commuter.

I have owned a Duke 200 for 3 years and initial two years it was my daily commute bike to office(11+11kms). Almost half of this distance was packed with traffic and rest open stretches. Daily commute was a treat with this bike and absolute joy on almost every front. Its easy to maneuver in traffic. The rapid acceleration on open stretches and red light GPs was like a recharge after days work. For my 6ft height and lean built riding posture was very comfortable compared to any other bike in 200-400cc segment. Never faced any issue with shocks(many customers faced early leaking with front shocks). Sometimes in worst jam and Delhi's peak summers the heat from radiator made it very hard to ride. But apart from this the power commuting made every thing else too minuscule. On long rides hard seat and being a street bike the wind blast one has to face is no doubt more than a full-fared bike.

With my limited experience of riding CBR 250R i can say it is definitely a bigger bike in terms of size and offers great highway ride ability.

Not to offend anybody but here is what i feel in one line. CBR 250 is an exceptional bike for tourers at this price point but Duke 200 is something that no matter what your age is will definitely make you feel young and agile while commuting.
One last pointer: The pillion seat on duke is made only for the sake of it, within city limits one wont complain much but as soon as you plan anything ~40kms or more the experience will be so bad that he/she might deny any further ride with you.
Hi Saurabh, thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlance View Post
The RS might seem a little over decaled but in real life its not all that bad. The stickering is mostly lacquered in so no point in going down that road. Sit on it and send it for a quick spin and you'll see its not really in your face!
As an option you can always go to a place like Motor Mind and get it done up in matt black or what ever you like! Though you must post the pics if you do it, would look awesome.
Looks aside, it seems like a really good bet!
Yes. I'll definitely take a test ride on the RS200. I wish the handlebar was a little lower and closer to the fairing. the bike would have looked so much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I'm also in a similar situation,having sold my Pulsar 180 looking to upgrade to a Duke 200.

I was told by friends who own dukes to buy a 2014 or 2013 bike and not a 2012 bike.

Could some of the owners help me out with inspecting a used bike? What specific things to look for and how do I make out if the bike's been in a crash ?

Also what the right price to pay for a year old Duke 200 in Bangalore?

Many owners expect 1.3 to 1.4 lakhs which i feel is too high since a new bike can be bought for 1.65 or so. I'm thinking something between 1 to 1.1 lakhs depending on condition.
Hi shashank, I have recently paid a visit to one of the KTM showrooms. The on road price of duke 200 in bangalore is 1.69. So yes, 1.3-1.4 is too high for a used one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
I bought an used Duke 200 last year. It was a 2012 model with 11k on the odo.
Had some issues initially, i had to change fuel pump,cone set,sprocket but after that it was a pleasurable ownership.
Yes in city traffic, Duke is very agile and lot of fun. I even took it to Kolli hills from chennai. Total trip=830kms.It performed very well. My previous bike was Pulsar 200.
Duke is a much much better bike.
You can get an used Duke for less than 1L for sure..Good luck!!!
Alternatively,You can buy something like a Gixxer or Unicorn 160. Both are wonderful and fast commuters.
After hearing all the opinions shared here. I seriously will consider duke 200. But the uncomfortable pillion seat is definitely a deal breaker. And also the fact that it's a naked bike and might not fit well for tours.
Manas5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015, 08:34   #22
BHPian

Default Re: Honda CBR 250R vs KTM RC 200 vs Pulsar RS200

Hi all,

This is my first post on Team BHP since I joined this week. While I did go through the rules and regulations, I apologize if I make a mistake. Coming to the thread, I am a CBR250R owner myself for the last 3 and half years. I can swear by this bike that you will love it. I am 6' 1" myself and about the same weight. With these figures, the bike feels absolutely natural to me. I didn't take too long to get adjusted to it. So you can rest your queries about fitting your frame on this bike!

Coming to the city handling, it is definitely not as flickable as the D200. The Duke is a charm in the city. But CBR is no dud either. Once you are used to the dimensions of the bike, it is a treat to commute on this bike. I used to cover 50 km each day in Bangalore traffic for the last three and half years; from Nagarbhavi to Sarjapur road and back. Not once did I regret buying this bike over the D200. I never thought about buying the ABS version but since my dad insisted, I went for it and believe me, it is a blessing. Whether a novice or an expert, ABS is a real blessing. There a couple of negatives with the bike like the stock tyres, the stock seat material, and other small niggles. But the positives far outweigh these. In my opinion, you should definitely go for a CBR in case you haven't already made your choice. Other options as you mentioned, the RS200 etc, are equally worthy but this bike makes you want to ride long and hard and it can definitely take the beating! My bike, even after these abusive years feels as fresh as new. All the best on your choice if you haven't already chosen.

Mod Note: Please restrict smilies per post to two. Would request you to go through forum rules. Use them to express a gesture rather than as a punctuation.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd October 2015 at 08:43. Reason: Formatted post. Removed smilies.
saishivaj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 13:58   #23
BHPian

In the market for a 200-400 cc bike. The bike would be put to use only for long highway trips, and with a pillion. Have short-listed the following five bikes.

1. Honda CBR 250 R
2. Bajaj RS 200
3. Bajaj Dominar 400
4. Thunderbird 500
5. Himalayan

I have test driven the Himalayan and rejected it outright because the engine felt very rough and gear shifts clunky. Have toured on a Thunderbird and found its ergonomics to be spot on. The RS 200 and Dominar 400 look to be promising, and being a Bajaj owner, I don't find it uncomfortable to own another one.

The most confusing choice is the Honda. My brain and heart, both are for the Honda, but I am not sure if it provides an upright seating position for a short folk (5'9) like me.

Please guide.
Swapnil4585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 14:06   #24
BHPian

I would suggest getting the Dominar since it's an all round bike. The CBR250R is great for touring, and since I'm 6' I can choose to crouch or sit upright on the bike.

However, the Honda is old and dated, and the money would be better spent on the Dominar.

Better still, take your pillion with you and test ride the bikes.
Shanenanigans is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 14:33   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
In the market for a 200-400 cc bike. The bike would be put to use only for long highway trips, and with a pillion. Have short-listed the following five bikes.

1. Honda CBR 250 R
2. Bajaj RS 200
3. Bajaj Dominar 400
4. Thunderbird 500
5. Himalayan

I have test driven the Himalayan and rejected it outright because the engine felt very rough and gear shifts clunky. Have toured on a Thunderbird and found its ergonomics to be spot on. The RS 200 and Dominar 400 look to be promising, and being a Bajaj owner, I don't find it uncomfortable to own another one.

The most confusing choice is the Honda. My brain and heart, both are for the Honda, but I am not sure if it provides an upright seating position for a short folk (5'9) like me.

Please guide.
I see you are not very finicky about the looks & type of the bike (faired / naked). Would you not want to check out the Yamaha FZ 250? The reviews are all positive. May be check out the Ninja 300 or the ERN 300?

I doubt the CBR will give you an upright position (though it may not be very committed) since it has a foot-at-the-back position and the pillion seat is stiff & placed high.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 16:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

1. Honda CBR 250 R - For 120000 Km, the major expenses 99% of the time were more preventive than necessity; from that front, the most expensive change were tires for 6K!! Second most expensive part was rear suspension (I think some 2.5K) for once, third were sprockets (Rs 2K for a little over 20000 Km), then comes battery once, then oil. Not to say the cost of ownership is cheap, but, the maintenance of long term ownership, reliability & ride comfort is unmatched by any product that's available today.

Remember CD100's tagline? Fill it! Shut it! Forget it! That's what C250R stands for today. All said, I would say, hold-on, as of date, it doesn't make sense to buy C250R, especially for that price point even for a non ABS model today.

2. Bajaj RS 200 & Bajaj Dominar 400 - Have no say on metallurgy of Bajaj auto, but yes, they provide anything & everything, cheap is wrong word, economically priced. Price is their main strength, don't know if any Bajaj vehicle can clock over 100000 Km without changing, forget the cylinder, a ring
Quote:
The RS 200 and Dominar 400 look to be promising, and being a Bajaj owner, I don't find it uncomfortable to own another one
Have no say

4. Thunderbird 500 & Himalayan - Good choice if you enjoy vibrations

Quote:
My brain and heart, both are for the Honda, but I am not sure if it provides an upright seating position for a short folk (5'9) like me
I'm 5"7 & for the kind of riding I do, I should've not just got body pain, but should've had complete broken body!! After experiencing the plush comfort of C250R's rear prolink suspension, I'm scared to own any other vehicle!!

And this is my CPR - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post4171915 (Honda CBR 250R Review)
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 14:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I see you are not very finicky about the looks & type of the bike (faired / naked). Would you not want to check out the Yamaha FZ 250? The reviews are all positive. May be check out the Ninja 300 or the ERN 300?

I doubt the CBR will give you an upright position (though it may not be very committed) since it has a foot-at-the-back position and the pillion seat is stiff & placed high.
I am inclined towards fully faired bikes (the Dominar 400 will come in a fully faired version in the near future, and the on road price may be in the CBR 250 territory).

As far as Yamaha is concerned, my observation is that the ergonomics are not at all suitable for touring. And for this sole reason, I have ruled out this fantastic brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

All said, I would say, hold-on, as of date, it doesn't make sense to buy C250R, especially for that price point even for a non ABS model today.
Yes, 2.2 lac is pretty high, may be they are charging it just due to the badge.

Quote:
I'm 5"7 & for the kind of riding I do, I should've not just got body pain, but should've had complete broken body!! After experiencing the plush comfort of C250R's rear prolink suspension, I'm scared to own any other vehicle!!

And this is my CPR - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post4171915 (Honda CBR 250R Review)
That is reassuring. Is there any way / after market modification by which the pillion comfort can be increased?
Swapnil4585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 14:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is reassuring. Is there any way / after market modification by which the pillion comfort can be increased?
My Wife has no big complaints till date despite doing over 600 Km a day, but that was on NH4. So haven't even thought about checking if there's anything to improve pillion comfort.

And, sorry if I sound blunt here, if comfort is your priority, then you should be buying a car. Motorcycles are always hard, not comfortable & risky, unless we're talking about HD RoadKing or Honda GW. But then, we all love thrills which is because of the conflict between R & L brain, just like you ride in a roller-coaster.

Last edited by aargee : 3rd April 2017 at 14:44.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote