Team-BHP - A ground up restoration: Yamaha RX135 4-speed
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   A ground up restoration: Yamaha RX135 4-speed (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/166573-ground-up-restoration-yamaha-rx135-4-speed.html)

The shogun was a fiddly bike, lot of un reachable nooks and crannies. It was one restoration I pulled my hair for, fast moving consumables like the carburettor hose, jets etc were elusive and this made me disturbed a lot, people online were asking obscene price for things like carburettor hose and jets. Let me give you a perspective, the carburettor hose was 250 plus shipping(mrp 31) and the carb rebuild kit excluding the atomizer was 1750 plus shipping.

This made me wonder at times if this was actually worth the efforts? however every time I rode the bike even though it was idle surging and leaking fuel from the threads which holds the fuel tap, it brought a smile; and trust me it was fulfilling. The number of stares were also huge when compared to my RD. Then my new friend from Kashmir kept telling me that I was out of my usual league of Yam bikes.

Made me wonder was I really out of my league? I know exactly where to go and look for parts when it comes to Yamaha bikes, I know which shop has what parts when it come to the RX series. I kind of knew the cost of each item, hence I decide that I will get back to the brand of bikes I love.

My team member was looking for a 2 wheeler, his idea was to get a ride which his wife could ride as well, then one day I dropped him home in my RX 100. To say that he was blown away was an understatement. I get a call from him that night and he was asking me if I could build him a bike, he convinced his wife that he would take her for rides and drop her to office every day. I told him that I would let him know.

I got a call about a scrap RX a couple of days back from a parts dealer friend of mine, asked him if its still available, luckily it was.

I met my team mate the next day and confirmed that I can take the project. Last Sunday I and my team member went to check the bike out and what we saw was not confidence inspiring.

The bike was nothing but a chassis, a complete front end, an engine bottom end without the magnet side and the oil pump cover. There was a long list of things missing. But that meant new parts and meant a brand new bike, so still went ahead.

Brought the bike home yesterday and this is what it looked like after the wash.

A ground up restoration: Yamaha RX135 4-speed-img_1513.jpg
A ground up restoration: Yamaha RX135 4-speed-img_1514.jpg
A ground up restoration: Yamaha RX135 4-speed-img_1515.jpg
A ground up restoration: Yamaha RX135 4-speed-img_1516.jpg

The good thing, it has a rot free chassis and I got a set of extra forks with the deal and the inner tubes are great. It came with a fury handle and a road king dome, these can be used for another project of mine.

Things missing; I will start form the engine
  1. Head
  2. cylinder
  3. pistons
  4. Stator coil
  5. Magnet
  6. Magnet cover
  7. oil pump cover
  8. Kicker
  9. Gear leaver
  10. Carburettor
  11. bend pipe
  12. silencer
  13. flute

Body parts missing
  1. Tank
  2. Side panels
  3. Mud guards
Things I might get from him
  1. Tank
  2. Carb

Things I need to procure new
  1. Side panels
  2. front and rear mudguards
  3. Rims
  4. Spokes
  5. Tyres
  6. Battery
  7. wiring loom
  8. Rx 135 dome
  9. meter and pilot lamps
  10. Meter bracket
  11. rear sissy bar,
  12. tail lamp bracket
  13. Tail lamp
  14. indicators
  15. chain and Sprocket set(it will have an RXG sprocket if I can find one)
  16. Oil pump
  17. Air filter box
  18. mud flaps
  19. RD type handle
  20. cone and race bearing set
  21. Entire rubber kit
  22. RR Unit
  23. CDI rxg
  24. Ignition Coil
  25. plug cap and plugs
  26. castle nut(silencer nut)
  27. seat
  28. all cables
  29. axels
  30. Leavers
  31. Rear Brake leaver
  32. Brake rod
  33. brake switches
  34. Handle yokes
  35. mirrors(chrome)
  36. Monograms
  37. lock set

Things I am planning to procure used
  1. Engine side covers(magnet side and clutch side covers)
  2. Cylinder (first or second over)
  3. Head
  4. Silencer(I have couple of bend pipes)

Things I have from previous builds
  1. Saree guard(Brand new)
  2. Crash guard(bar type)
  3. Swing arm
  4. L brackets
  5. Rider foot rests
  6. Stand both side and main
  7. bend pipe
  8. mud flaps
  9. Carb jets
  10. hubs
  11. brake shoe plates
  12. rear shocks
My plan for the bike is to keep it stock, with a great paint job and generous amount of bling. which includes, engine, head, fork hubs buffed to mirror finish.

I need suggestions on the colour as he is a middle aged man and I am not building it for a college going kid :D

I will post each stages in details.

Pramod

I had an RX135 5 speed for 2 years from 2000 to 2002, was a brilliant bike. I was in Trivandrum at that time and for servicing I used to give it to a person named Mr Rajendran who specialized in Yamaha bikes. He used to take only Yamaha bikes for servicing. May be you could try reaching him for any parts / detailed advise.

Link below related to the great Yamaha Rajendran -

http://www.yentha.com/news/view/4/Sp...e-Tuning-Forks

All the best with the build

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accent Martin (Post 3766256)
I had an RX135 5 speed for 2 years from 2000 to 2002, was a brilliant bike. I was in Trivandrum at that time and for servicing I used to give it to a person named Mr Rajendran who specialized in Yamaha bikes. He used to take only Yamaha bikes for servicing. May be you could try reaching him for any parts / detailed advise.

Link below related to the great Yamaha Rajendran -

http://www.yentha.com/news/view/4/Sp...e-Tuning-Forks

All the best with the build

in fact I am in touch with him with my laundry list, I will get the used stuff I am planning to procure from the list. But I am trying other options as well.

Pramod

As you mentioned he is a middle aged man, going for mirror finish engine would be an overkill. I would suggest black powder coated cylinder, head, engine and the silencer if possible. You may keep the handle bar, rims and wheel hubs buffed/chromed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodkumar (Post 3766215)
The shogun was a fiddly bike, lot of un reachable nooks and crannies. It was one restoration I pulled my hair for.
This made me wonder at times if this was actually worth the efforts? Pramod

I totally agree with you bro and can relate to what you are saying. I had gone thru the same Shogun restoration process and had too many irritable hurdles. And even after finishing the whole project it was really tough to maintain the bike stock. I am a sucker for stock parts rather than jugaad stuff. The most I hated was the prices people ask for the parts. It literally felt like extortion.

-----

Ground up build of a Yamaha is fairly easier than the Suzuki 2 strokers, and the fun factor is also high.

Regarding the colour options if you say your friend is middleaged, he might love the Yamaha 5 speed Maroon, or the simpler safer colour would be all time black. Although do have a look in the registration book as these days cops are particular about colours and it will be a hurdle in passing, after bike attains 15 years.

Which brings me to altogether different topic - have you checked the chassis has proper number still imprinted on it ? does it match the registration book numbers ? Why am i saying this is because Yamaha Rx models are cops favourites here at least in mumbai. They are checked thoroughly here for all kinds of things. Last I was harassed for not having a saree guard :Shockked: even though I had all other papers and particulars proper. (just to give you a small example)

Regarding the side covers or other stuff I would really advise you to order it through the Yamaha Factory shop near you. They take down your order in case if you are not aware of it. These orders are exclusively taken for you and you will be charged only the MRP nothing more. Sorry if you already knew about this though :)

Eagerly awaiting for more pics as you progress. All the best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok (Post 3766560)
As you mentioned he is a middle aged man, going for mirror finish engine would be an overkill. I would suggest black powder coated cylinder, head, engine and the silencer if possible. You may keep the handle bar, rims and wheel hubs buffed/chromed.

Agreed, the buffed finish adds to the classic appeal of the bike, I am try to avoid look at me type colours like classic yellow or other neon colours :D

I am against painting the engine black, looks like a cover-up and starts pealing after a while, the reason for the buffed finish is to ensure that its remains clean for years to come(little oxidising is fine)

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great (Post 3766566)
I totally agree with you bro and can relate to what you are saying. I had gone thru the same Shogun restoration process and had too many irritable hurdles. And even after finishing the whole project it was really tough to maintain the bike stock. I am a sucker for stock parts rather than jugaad stuff. The most I hated was the prices people ask for the parts. It literally felt like extortion. .

I have lost interest in the build at one point but the passion was re ignited once it was back in its glory

Quote:

Ground up build of a Yamaha is fairly easier than the Suzuki 2 strokers, and the fun factor is also high.

Regarding the colour options if you say your friend is middleaged, he might love the Yamaha 5 speed Maroon, or the simpler safer colour would be all time black. Although do have a look in the registration book as these days cops are particular about colours and it will be a hurdle in passing, after bike attains 15 years. .

Colour can be changed in the RC book for an additional cost, maroon was my choice as well. But needed something little better, something that can carry the chrome well.

Quote:

Which brings me to altogether different topic - have you checked the chassis has proper number still imprinted on it ? does it match the registration book numbers ? Why am i saying this is because Yamaha Rx models are cops favourites here at least in mumbai. They are checked thoroughly here for all kinds of things. Last I was harassed for not having a saree guard :Shockked: even though I had all other papers and particulars proper. (just to give you a small example) .

That is quite normal, but some how these days Yamaha bikes are not the hooligan bikes in Kerala, I have never been stopped(all my papers are clear though)

Quote:

Regarding the side covers or other stuff I would really advise you to order it through the Yamaha Factory shop near you. They take down your order in case if you are not aware of it. These orders are exclusively taken for you and you will be charged only the MRP nothing more. Sorry if you already knew about this though :)

Eagerly awaiting for more pics as you progress. All the best.

This is my 7th build actually, I am already aware of the parts bit.

Suggest me some more colours for the bike.

Pramod

For the dash of bling, Get a deep shade of red or blue with sparkling metallic flakes. Might consider the deep burnt orange.

I do not think this is a restoration , looking at the list of parts this will be a brand new assembled 135. I reckon this will cost as much as a new bike.

Best of luck and may the gods of spare smile upon you.

I
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok (Post 3766596)
For the dash of bling, Get a deep shade of red or blue with sparkling metallic flakes. Might consider the deep burnt orange.

Color selected, it's going to be metallic coffee brown. I can see the bike in a color very similar to the duster. Looks nice in my head, yet to finalise the sticker scheme.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorpsycho (Post 3766619)
I do not think this is a restoration , looking at the list of parts this will be a brand new assembled 135. I reckon this will cost as much as a new bike.

Best of luck and may the gods of spare smile upon you.

To be honest, all restorations have this kind of a parts list, if done properly. But most cut corners. This bike in particular is not going to be an expensive build, I am very well aware of how to keep the expenses below 30. Let's see how it goes.

In other news, the engine and chassis are separate, the paint on the chassis is stripped down, I will wet sand it tomorrow and hoping to take it to the powder coating guys on Saturday. The rest of the parts would be procured same day and I am also planning to give all the to be buffed articles for buffing also on Saturday

Pramod

Here's another oneclap:

I must say buying that bike was a brave move, but knowing your talent and patience, i am sure the final outcome will be terrific. :)

As for color, Black with white pin stripping. With buff it would look very elegant

Quote:

Originally Posted by mehuel (Post 3767044)
Here's another oneclap:

I must say buying that bike was a brave move, but knowing your talent and patience, i am sure the final outcome will be terrific. :)

As for color, Black with white pin stripping. With buff it would look very elegant

Thank you for your kind words. I did a black bike before, cannot do same colors twice, can I? I kind of finalized the colour and got an approval as well. Its going to be coffee brown with white and black pin stripping (could become chrome as well, I am inclined towards chrome lines :D) thick white reflective sticker with thinner black reflective sticker in the middle of the white sticker. It will looks great I am sure :thumbs up

This is going to be an attention grabber, but in a classy way.

Pramod

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodkumar (Post 3767144)
I kind of finalized th Its going to be coffee brown with white and black pin stripping (could become chrome as well, I am inclined towards chrome lines :D) thick white reflective sticker with thinner black reflective sticker in the middle of the white sticker. It will looks great I am sure :thumbs up

This is going to be an attention grabber, but in a classy way.

Pramod

agree:I am trying to picture the bike in that color and have to say it does look nice.

Let the games begin. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodkumar (Post 3766567)

Colour can be changed in the RC book for an additional cost, maroon was my choice as well. But needed something little better, something that can carry the chrome well.

Suggest me some more colours for the bike.

Pramod

If I were to have a custom bike, I would try to have a color of mother pearl on the tank with lace pattern painting. Its a feminine color ; but I think that will stand out. For sure, I don't wanna influence your decision though; instead dropping in an idea. Check more on the lace patterns. they are awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mehuel (Post 3767500)
agree:I am trying to picture the bike in that color and have to say it does look nice.

Let the games begin. :D

Waiting for the tank to start painting, got the side panels. The colour will look smashing, I have chosen the duster brown as it has a slight golden tint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accent Martin (Post 3767518)
If I were to have a custom bike, I would try to have a color of mother pearl on the tank with lace pattern painting. Its a feminine color ; but I think that will stand out. For sure, I don't wanna influence your decision though; instead dropping in an idea. Check more on the lace patterns. they are awesome.

Counts kustoms fan eh?:D

Those kind of jobs are not easy to pull off here, and re doing such jobs will become a money pit. You can expect such jobs in future builds where I have an open budget.

In other news, all the aluminium parts, engine side covers, hubs, forks, brake plates are given for buffing. Was planning to give the chassis and other stuff for powder coating but got pulled in some other stuff.
Have to get the spokes plated, will give the silencer, bend pipe and other stuff for plating by next week.

The engine is taken apart(unfortunately no pics)

Will keep the thread updated

Pramod

The weekend was eventful, got the tank and the silencer from the seller, need to get a carb and few other stuff(head, cylinder front mudguard etc)

Got all the buffed articles and the jewellery looks awesome. Following items were buffed.

Engine side coves(clutch and magneto cover)
Oil pump cover
Magnet cover
Front Forks
Hubs(front and back)
Brake shoe plates(front and back)

Gave the following items for powder coating

Chassis
L brackets(Left & right)
Riders footrest
Side stand
Swing arm rod

Need to send following items for paint

Tank
Side cover
Chain cover
Swing arm
T Stem
Triple T

Now you might think, why am I giving the swing arm for paint instead of powder coating, The powder coating procedure damages the nylon bushes while its getting baked

Reinstalling the swing arm usually ends in paint loss. The lathe guy charges 300 for it and a pair of swing arm bush is also 300.

Pics coming tonite

Pramod