Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 15th September 2015, 17:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Loud Noise from Hero Honda Hunk engine at 40,000 kms

Here's an update.

In addition to the noise, I felt the bike had lost punch. Wasn't moving the way it used to earlier.

I believe that Unique Bike Service must have used a 20W40 oil when I specifically asked them to use a 10W30.

Took it to Unique Bike Service again. He said he would call me the next day.

The next day, he tells me the crankshaft bearing was to be replaced and a new bore and piston as well. I ask him to check the oil pump since I suspected a lack of lubrication causing the loud noises as I told this by Sibun from xBhp. He had suggested changing the Cam Chain a year ago as well. But alas, mechanics wouldn't listen. They always know better than the customer attitude. He was adamant that if the oil pump was malfunctioning, the engine would've seized by now. I asked him to wash the bike and just leave it at that.

Contacted Sibun(from xBHP), got the parts required and sat down to replace the oil pump. The oil pump cost Rs. 375 and the oil pump gear Rs. 180. I had nothing to lose here. If the issue was not the oil pump, I would only lose Rs. 600. If it was the oil pump and I went in for a rebuild, I would lost Rs. 6000.

On inspection, I noticed that the old oil pump wouldn't offer any resistance to turning. While the new one did. The oil pump had indeed failed.

I drained out the old oil, changed the oil pump and put in fresh Hero oil. And cleaned the oil filter that looked like it hadn't been cleaned at all.

I let the bike sit for two days and rode again.

To my amazement, the bike was smooth, the noise was almost completely muted, it accelerated like it did right out of the showroom and it was fun to ride again. The irritation and annoyance I had while riding when the noise would occupy my ears no longer existed. The little noise that does exist now is supposedly because of seized rocker arm bearings.

All in all, I am happy again.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 15th September 2015 at 17:28.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 17:21   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Here's an update.

Took it to Unique Bike Service again. He said he would call me the next day.

The next day, he tells me the crankshaft bearing was to be replaced and a new bore and piston as well. I ask him to check the oil pump since I suspected a lack of lubrication causing the loud noises. He was adamant that if the oil pump was malfunctioning, the engine would've seized by now. I asked him to wash the bike and just leave it at that.

On inspection, I noticed that the old oil pump wouldn't offer any resistance to turning. While the new one did. The oil pump had indeed failed.

I drained out the old oil, changed the oil pump and put in fresh Hero oil. And cleaned the oil filter that looked like it hadn't been cleaned at all.

I let the bike sit for two days and rode again.

To my amazement, the bike was smooth, the noise was almost completely muted, it accelerated like it did right out of the showroom and it was fun to ride again. The irritation and annoyance I had while riding when the noise would occupy my ears no longer existed. The little noise that does exist now is supposedly because of seized rocker arm bearings.

All in all, I am happy again.
Well done on solving the problem yourself!

This incident just goes to prove that even the more reputed service centres can't be trusted. They all have the same attitude to solving problems - just replace things at random and hope that the problem is solved, with the added bonus of billing a hefty amount to the customer!
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 17:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Well done on solving the problem yourself!

This incident just goes to prove that even the more reputed service centres can't be trusted. They all have the same attitude to solving problems - just replace things at random and hope that the problem is solved, with the added bonus of billing a hefty amount to the customer!
Exactly. The sad part was, maybe the oil pump had failed a year ago. Causing parts near the head to die slowly, albeit prematurely.

If the cause of the failures had been identified in the initial stages, perhaps I wouldn't have had to change so many parts in the first place.
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote