Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 31st July 2015, 16:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Loud Noise from Hero Honda Hunk engine at 40,000 kms

Hi guys,

I've a 40000km run Hero Honda Hunk running a Joel Big Bore and headwork.

I am posting out of desperation to try and get the tappet noise that has plagued my bike for 10000km to go away.

Factory specs suggest 0.08mm for the inlet tappet and 0.12mm for the exhaust tappet.

It all started when my mech had set the tappets. The noise was gone, I was happy.

Alas, it was short lived. I opened up the throttle one day and saw the engine sputtering at 82kmph! I went back home and read that the issue could be very tight tappets. And sure enough, it was. Adjusted them to factory spec and the performance was back again. As was FE.

But another problem came up, the tappet noise was back! Took it to the mechanic, who changed the rocker arms and the camshaft and set the tappets again. The tappet noise was gone.

Again I faced similar performance issues; I adjusted the tappets again to factory spec, I started having tappet noise and the performance was back to normal.

I read up and some members on xBhp suggested going to lower clearances to compensate for wear in the valvetrain.

Did just that. Adjusted to 0.06mm and 0.10mm inlet and exhaust respectively. It is better. There is lesser noise. But yet, tappet noise persists.

Right now, I am thoroughly frustrated. I do not want to go by numbers anymore since I think there is no one size fits all principle.

I wanted to know if there is any way to set tappet clearance such that it works perfectly for my engine?

Asking in a new thread as I am sure this will apply to all engines and should help everyone struggling with this issue.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 31st July 2015 at 16:51.
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 18:04   #2
BHPian

Default re: Loud Noise from Hero Honda Hunk engine at 40,000 kms

Could the reason be due to the non OEM bigger bore ? Is your bike consuming more oil ?

Last edited by GTO : 3rd August 2015 at 13:00. Reason: Typo
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 18:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Could the reason be due to the non OEM bigger bore ? Is your bike consuming more oil ?
No no. No oil consumption problems.

I don't think it's because of the bigger bore. At most, it might have accelerated the process of wear and tear, but cannot say it is because of the big bore completely.

Also, I have asked various people. Most of them are suggesting a loose Cam Chain.

Other symptoms include, some additional noise when the engine is cold at idling. And when I accelerate suddenly, I can hear a knocking noise of sorts from the engine as well.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd August 2015 at 13:00. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 1st August 2015, 22:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Much needed update.

I had been to Unique Bike Service today.

I started the bike and revved and the Service Advisor immediately pointed out that it is because of the timing chain going bad.

When I asked him for repair cost, he said it would cost Rs. 3000 - Rs. 4000 for everything.

Everything includes Timing Chain, Timing Chain Tensioner, Cam Chain Pads(Guides?), Valve Lapping and other things. The cost seemed on the higher side, but he said that it would mostly reduce and all the repairs are to ensure that these problems don't come back later. Considering the bike had done 40000km, I felt it might be justified.

Will also be trying an engine oil from Bosch that they had there.

Will keep you guys posted!

And a big, big thank you to barcalad for the referral!

A tall, kind hearted guy with whom I should make friends with according to the service advisor!

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 1st August 2015 at 23:13.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2015, 00:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I had been to Unique Bike Service today.

And a big, big thank you to barcalad for the referral!

A tall, kind hearted guy with whom I should make friends with according to the service advisor!
Can you post a video of the noise? I am facing some noise issues with my dio and I need to check if its something to do with tappet adjustment. Strangely I can replicate this issue in front of the mechanic. Next time you visit the place, let me know. We could meet up. And yeah even I had bumped into Barcalad at Unique Bike Service. We had a nice chat and also took some time in explaining TBHP and stuff to the manager. Sadly I hear he quit due to ill health. He was a gem of a person and I could leave my vehicle there eyes closed to his hands.

Also isnt it too early for your engine to be opened up? I am particularly worried about that. My dio is making some extra noise which one of the mechanics there pointed out towards a defective crankshaft bearing. But the manager ruled this out and claimed that it was coming from the air blower or alternator and it was nothing to worry about. So I need to check if it is something to do with the tappet.
audioholic is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2015, 00:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Can you post a video of the noise? I am facing some noise issues with my dio and I need to check if its something to do with tappet adjustment. Strangely I can replicate this issue in front of the mechanic. Next time you visit the place, let me know. We could meet up. And yeah even I had bumped into Barcalad at Unique Bike Service. We had a nice chat and also took some time in explaining TBHP and stuff to the manager. Sadly I hear he quit due to ill health. He was a gem of a person and I could leave my vehicle there eyes closed to his hands.

Also isnt it too early for your engine to be opened up? I am particularly worried about that. My dio is making some extra noise which one of the mechanics there pointed out towards a defective crankshaft bearing. But the manager ruled this out and claimed that it was coming from the air blower or alternator and it was nothing to worry about. So I need to check if it is something to do with the tappet.
Here's a video from over a year ago, with a noise similar to the one I had today.

Tappet noise will sound a like a mild ticking once the engine gets hot. What I have been experience is timing chain slack.

And next time I visit the place will be tomorrow! Will be going in the evening at around 6PM to collect the bike. Would you like to join me? We could discuss this over WhatsApp.

The person I spoke to was Nayeem. The son of the person who owns 50% of the service center. Good chap, seemed genuine.

Hope the workmanship is good.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2015, 18:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Got the bike back from Unique Bike Service today.

Parts changed:
1) Timing Chain
2) Timing Chain Guides
3) Spark Plug
4) Valve stems
5) Valve oil seals
6) Valve lapping
7) Head overhaul
8) Engine Oil change
9) 3M Engine Oil Additive
10) Piston rings

Overall cost was Rs. 3008.

I was also told that the bore has a little scoring and the loose cam chain has caused play in the crankshaft bearing as well. They suggested a new bore and getting the bearing replaced and the bike will be better than new.

So now, I am left wondering if the big bore wasn't such wise decision after all...

As for Unique Bike Service- mighty happy. The noise seems to be gone for good. A minute tappet noise, but very much negligible.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2015, 19:40   #8
BHPian

I'm glad that the issue is sorted and your experience with them was very well. More than that, I'm honoured that you trusted my words and took the plunge. As I expected, you most probably returned home with a big smile.

Ride safe, buddy!
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2015, 13:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Got the bike back from Unique Bike Service today.

As for Unique Bike Service- mighty happy. The noise seems to be gone for good. A minute tappet noise, but very much negligible.
Glad to know that your bike is back in healthy condition. Where is this Unique bike service ? Is it really that good ? Please share the contact details. I might consider it as an alternative to the usual good for nothing authorised service stations. By the way , Bosch engine oil ? How good is that ?
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2015, 13:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Glad to know that your bike is back in healthy condition. Where is this Unique bike service ? Is it really that good ? Please share the contact details. I might consider it as an alternative to the usual good for nothing authorised service stations. By the way , Bosch engine oil ? How good is that ?
Unique Bike Service is near Banashankari BDA Complex. You can look for it on Google. You will get location and contact details right there

Address: Yarab Nagar Main Rd, Banashankari Stage II, Banashankari, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560070
Phone:080 2671 1678
Hours: Open today 8:00 am – 8:00 pm

And yes, the folk there seem to know what they are doing and is definitely better than any ASC.

Bosch engine oil, no idea. I am using it now but haven't used it long enough to really find a difference. Will know in the coming kms.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 12:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Here's an update I didn't really want to give.

There is a clattering sound from the engine again.

And this time around, it is looking to be an oil pump malfunction leading to loss of oil pressure in the engine.

I am beginning to wonder if the oil pump's output has been slowly decreasing which has led to a slew of replacements taking place in the engine over the past year.

Started off with the Camshaft bearing being replaced along with the rocker arms. Then the cam chain tensioner. Then the cam chain, the valves, the valve seals, the cam chain guides, etc.. And now, crankshaft bearings developing play. I am beginning to think if the oil pump has been the reason behind the failure of all these parts.

Any advice? Would really like any information on this.

That being said, the bike is going in for repairs again tomorrow at Unique Bike Service. I do not want to risk running an engine with insufficient lubrication.
Old 27th August 2015, 01:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Here's a video of the noise that I am experiencing now.

Old 27th August 2015, 01:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

For an instance i thought it was rocker arms making the noise. If oil pump is failing its fairly noticable with noise and heat. And it could just be intermittent failure and when you are pushing the bike and hence even at service when they checked they may have not been able to replicate the issue.

The symptoms and order of failure do suggest potential lack of lubrication.
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 12:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

I just got a call from the mechanic.

He is asking me to go for a rebore, shaft reset and new bearing. He's saying the cost will be <Rs. 5,000.

I am asking him to check the oil pump, but he is 100% sure the oil pump. Yet, I insisted and asked him to open up the head and check the oil flow. He said he will do that and get back to me. But I am worried that he will not acknowledge the oil pump has a problem since he already told me the oil pump is fine.

We are at the end of the month and I have no money.

So I am not sure about what to do.
Old 27th August 2015, 17:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

I just called the mechanic since it had been five hours since our last conversation.

He claims to have checked the oil circulation and it was apparently all good. The only solution according to him is a full engine rebuild.