Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 19th August 2015, 01:16   #16
Default Re: Newbie Biker: Best route to the Liter Class?

Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
Hi fellow T-BHP members! Needed some advice here.
Your excitement is understandable mate - it's a great time to be a biker in India with the ever increasing plethora of options available.

But ask yourself this - if you are an enthusiast, what excites you? Is it the size of the engine block or the amount of fun (legit, not rash) you can have on the machine? Would you rather drive a Focus RS or a F-250?

I am not saying that litre class bikes are like the F-250 - but unfortunately that's how most people end up riding it since they jumped too fast onto a 'badi gaadi'. Open throttle on straights and be Mr.Park-it in corners.

Don't go hunting the CC - instead, go hunt that perfect feeling of being one with a machine that lets you carve up a track with zero conscious inputs. The one that makes you forget how many laps you put in till someone waves you in from the pitlane, the one that makes you go back out again even though it's way too hot and you are drenched inside your suit, the one that gives you a high like no other at every corner. That's the machine for you. Not the one where you trail brake through every corner because you are too scared of it. That's not fun. Neither for you nor for the machine.

Don't bother about the street use - anything above a Duke/RC 390 is overkill for our roads anyway. You'll spend more time keeping it together and taming the bike then enjoying it on the streets. When you touch the 600s and above, make sure you have enough track days lined up to truly enjoy the bike.

Start with a plan to upgrade your skills - MSF first up, then CSS if possible while you are in the US. Otherwise there are classes by academies like Apex racing in India and CSS does happen once a year as well. Get through all 3 levels of them.

You will fall on a motorcycle - dress for the fall. Others have said this already, don't skimp on the gear!

Start off with the KTM200/390/R15 and take your time growing through them. Once you start feeling the lack of power - on the track, not the street - then you upgrade.

A motorcycle is a decision from the heart. If it's your head deciding - you wouldn't pick something that doesn't have a big cage to protect you
Most serious riders I know eventually settled on 600s as their perfect soulmates. And they are fast - the Daytona 675R has the fastest time on the Chennai track, not a litre class. You'll find your soulmate but just like dating, this will take time. Give it time to get to know each other really well and forget about the size for now. Eventually you'll know when you find the One.
niranjanrvce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 04:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hi fellow T-BHP members! Needed some advice here.

I am currently completing my undergraduate in Mechanical Engineering at Michigan State University and consider myself a major driving enthusiast. I am sure that India is definitely a big part of my future. So I am looking forward to making up some purchase plans right now, so that I can take care of my financials accordingly.

- Is 2 years a good enough period to be able to upgrade?

- Is it a good idea to buy used or new?

- Required safety equipment for each level?

- Any other things that I should keep in mind?
Attaboy. Good going with your plans but here are some things which you should note.

The bhpians prior to me have hit the nail on the head.

Start off: Go to the MSF foundation courses. Get your license in order. As your in michigan, get it done before the summer disappears.

Starter bike: Do not, and i mean STAY AWAY from any supersport. The liter class is insane so dont even think of it but the 600 cc sports bikes are insanely powerful and can keep up with the liter bike throughout. Dont use this as a experiment as a small error on your part can be bad for you.

If you already have experience riding 150-250 cc motorcycles then there is a mid segment where the sv650 is a king. Good starter bike and you wont grow out of it soon. Check on craigslist for a bike and go shopping.

Do let us know once you get your license. There are a lot of bhpians in the states who can help you out in shopping.

I do ride a monster 696 as my first bike in the states. Prior to that i had experience riding pulsars etc in india. I dont see myself out growing my bike anytime soon. Any day i sit on it gets a smile on my face, hope you get the drift.

Last point: The BMW is also my favorite. For the moment keep it on the wall next to the 911 poster. Get miles under your behind before you even think of it. Go for rides every weekend or hell, you can ride every day if you love it. But always stay in gear, you never know when that blondie in the hoopti got a text and decided to respond immediately.

maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 20:06   #18

For a bit of history, I have never ridden a motorized two-wheeler other than rides on a friend's Bajaj Pulsar and Honda Activa.
The first thing you need to take a look at is how much do you enjoy biking? There are different thrills in pushing a car and bike to maximum performance. Comparing the performance of both on just a monetary basis will not serve you. You've built a whole investment plan on machines you don't have much experience on. Trust me, I'm a much bigger car nut than a biker. I've got a Kawasaki Z and a Honda CBR in my garage, but I prefer the thrill of pushing my cars around the bends.

I would advise you to get your motor cycle permit in the US and look for a used 400-600cc bike, and see just how much you enjoy riding. (I started on a Honda CB600 in Texas). You'll have to get this done before the winter starts tough.

Don't base your upgrade plan on time but on riding skill and desire, I know many people who could easily afford bigger bikes but are happy on what they ride.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2015, 15:35   #19

I am not sure where you got this idea of upgrading from level 1-5. It does not work that way. If you have never ridden a bike, you have a long way to go, learning to like being on a bike at this age when everyone would prefer you own a car as the main mode of transport.

Does not make sense owning the 15 or the RC not more that few months if you really have to.
Yeah riding school is a must visit but before that daily commute in your city on a 2 wheeler itself is a training lesson you need to build over few years.

If you have your head over your wrists you can directly buy into a litre class after a decent amount of street riding days and level 1 superbike training on any beater of a bike.
Start ridding at slow speeds and gradually over months you and comfortably handle the bike for regular use.

Get all the theory in before you buy the bike.

Safety at all counts, never indulge in putting up a show for anyone. (people at the signal, friends who sees the bike for the first time, total stranger whom you wanna impress)
In such situation you will be pawing your life for few secs of glory which can go the wrong way very easily costing you/your family years of pain.
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote