Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th August 2015, 08:40   #46
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Yamaha R3 launched at Rs. 3.25 lakhs

Contrary to majority here, I feel it is a great pricing. If people are ready to spend 1.4 lakhs on an 18bhp 150cc Yamaha, 4.5 lakhs for a 42bhp 300cc is no big deal. I for one would buy this over RC390, having ridden both 390 and r15, you well know how better the Yamaha deltaboxes are in handling. Plus brand image!

Last edited by GTO : 13th August 2015 at 14:18. Reason: Typos
PrasannaDhana is online now   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 13th August 2015, 08:49   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Contrary to majority here, I feel it is a great pricing. If people are ready to spend 1.4 lakhs on an 18bhp 150cc Yamaha, 4.5 lakhs for a 42bhp 300cc is no big deal. I for one would buy this over RC390, having ridden both 390 and r15, you well know how better the Yamaha deltaboxes are in handling. Plus brand image!
R3 doesn't have deltabox frame. And i don't think r15 is a better handler than rc390. Not a fanboy or anything but rc can hold its own to many bigger bikes on a track.

Last edited by GTO : 13th August 2015 at 14:18. Reason: Quoted post edited
b16h22 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 15:00   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
R3 doesn't have deltabox frame. And i don't think r15 is a better handler than rc390. Not a fanboy or anything but rc can hold its own to many bigger bikes on a track.
Right said. The RC can definitely hold its own against mightier bikes on a track and sometimes on the roads as well.

While the R3 vs RC comparison will keep on happening, it is true that the RC is more of a track bike and the R3 is more of an all rounder. For someone who wants to buy a bike just to hone skills on the track, the RC is a perfect companion. Fast engine, good handling, decent brakes (can be made better with good pads) and relatively inexpensive repair bills. The R3 on the other hand is a CKD with most major components coming as import and the parts are likely to be expensive. The Ninja 250 and 300 are plagued by the same issue; expensive parts. The fairing units are expensive, brakes are expensive, clutch is expensive and so are the service costs.

I guess the R3 will find a home with owners that value the brand, refinement levels, versatility and looks. The RC will continue to be a yuppie favorite.
roadrunner_nv is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 22:14   #49
BHPian

Went to check the bike at a dealer on outer ring road in bangalore hoping against hope, as expected no bike on display and no idea when it will be ready for delivery, he said vaguely 1.5-2 months. He looked totally lost. He said 5k for the booking amount.

Guys in bangalore, any place where I can see the bike in flesh, expecting a test drive will be a dream anyway.
AtheK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 23:53   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Went to check the bike at a dealer on outer ring road in bangalore hoping against hope, as expected no bike on display and no idea when it will be ready for delivery, he said vaguely 1.5-2 months. He looked totally lost. He said 5k for the booking amount.

Guys in bangalore, any place where I can see the bike in flesh, expecting a test drive will be a dream anyway.
There is no bike in display anywhere in Bangalore. Test rides, you are right is a dream come true

Bikes start rolling out from last week of August.
abhisheksircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 02:02   #51
BHPian

Default Re: Yamaha YZF-R3 starts testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I think you are mixing engineering with quality here. The KTM engineering in the bike is great. It is the quality churned out by Bajaj that's bad. The great engineering reflects not just in the engine, it is reflected in handling too.
Good to see a healthy discussion but I am afraid I dont follow on this aspect. Engineering includes design, development and testing (individual components as well as grouped units as well as finished product) which reflects in the quality of the final product. Fundamentally strong product engineering will lead to high quality products. They are intrinsically linked. A manufacturer who has invested in proper product engineering (this includes top quality components as well and systematic thorough testing in simulated and real world environments) will be rewarded with a great quality product. This isnt just for the manufacturing industry, IT folks on this forum will agree that it holds good for them as well.

If the KTM engineering was as good as you say it is, we wouldnt be reading about issues like rusting conesets from pressure washes and cracking rims (cropping up from real world usage which should have been easily caught during product testing) which are blamed on 'Bajaj quality'.

The 'Bajaj quality' on the Dukes and RCs is an end product of 'KTM engineering'.

Coming to the R3, I think there will be discerning buyers out there who arent sold on the RC390 and would want a credible, reliable, usable (on a daily basis) alternative to the Kawasakis. The way I see the market maturing, the majority of folks will either go for the excellent VFM / bhp per rupee offering of the 390s at the sub 2.5 lac price point or stretch to 5+ lacs and get a substantially bigger bike with the Kawasaki ER6N / N650 or Benelli 600s and above. Which will leave the N300, Z250 and R3 in no mans land.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 10:25   #52
BHPian

I have a question when we talk 650 bikes why is it that hyosung is never discussed, it is a very capable machine as well.
Is it because of after sales or just that Kawa is much much better.
Old 14th August 2015, 11:04   #53
BHPian

Sorry to break the party but I am really interested in knowing about any updates about the R3 and hence I am subscribed to this thread. We are ending up discussing more about other bikes than the R3 over here. Really appreciate if we can stick to Yamaha R3 likes, dislikes, updates etc.
abhisheksircar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 11:25   #54
BHPian

I am still thinking about getting myself a 300 cc bike.
My usage would be approximatly 70 kms a day in traffic and highway.
Will the R3 be comfortable enough for a city bike.?
iamahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 11:51   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post

Yes, perfectly comfortable. I guess this is the biggest USP of this product. Oh! forgot to mention that the bikes will make their way to around 100 dealers by 20th August 2015. Not sure on what quota and the numbers but if one books now, a second or third lot delivery can be expected.
roadrunner_nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 15:58   #56
BHPian

Quote:
I have a question when we talk 650 bikes why is it that hyosung is never discussed, it is a very capable machine as well.
Is it because of after sales or just that Kawa is much much better.
I had a Hyosung GT650N for a while - The engine is crazy and I did have some fun with the 90 deg V-Twin. (Loads of torque) - That said, it is not high-revving. There are vibes on the handle bar, foot peg, seats etc over 5K RPM.

The vibes are the reasons I guess no one goes near Hyosung and their pricing is not very attractive either. [Their 250 cc pricing is INSANE]

That said, RC390 sounds terrible and vibrates everywhere - Still people buy because of the pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
Sorry to break the party but I am really interested in knowing about any updates about the R3 and hence I am subscribed to this thread. We are ending up discussing more about other bikes than the R3 over here. Really appreciate if we can stick to Yamaha R3 likes, dislikes, updates etc.
It is good to see how the bike compares with others too - Though sometimes the discuss veers off R3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
That's 3L of petrol a day (based on how you ride) - You should check out Ninja 300 with a 17l tank to reduce your average trip to fuel stations! That said, I am just nit-picking - R3, on paper seems to suit the requirement well

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_nv View Post
Yes, perfectly comfortable. I guess this is the biggest USP of this product. Oh! forgot to mention that the bikes will make their way to around 100 dealers by 20th August 2015. Not sure on what quota and the numbers but if one books now, a second or third lot delivery can be expected.
Terrific news - Thanks!
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 16:04   #57
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
There is no bike in display anywhere in Bangalore. Test rides, you are right is a dream come true

Bikes start rolling out from last week of August.
Checked with a Hyderabad dealer (Pearl Yamaha) who confidently tells me that the bike should be with them within next 3 days i.e. 17th August.

Highly un-likely though !

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 14th August 2015 at 16:05. Reason: corrected typo
Abhi_abarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 21:50   #58
BHPian

Default Re: Yamaha YZF-R3 starts testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Good to see a healthy discussion but I am afraid I dont follow on this aspect.
You've got a point there. I should have put it as 'Design part of the engineering'.
The design part is mostly good. But the 'implementation' and 'testing' part of it is somewhat below par.

Since we've gone technical, I don't agree with this part,
Quote:
The 'Bajaj quality' on the Dukes and RCs is an end product of 'KTM engineering'.
It should be the 'Bajaj quality' on the Dukes and RCs is an end product of 'KTM and Bajaj engineering' since Bajaj have taken up key parts of engineering like development and testing like you said.
KTM have done most of their part fine. It is Bajaj who have messed up their part IMO and they are trying to improve by providing 'patches'.
theredliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 23:27   #59
BHPian

went back to get the OTR at least, no idea is what I got. He is still stuck to his one month minimum and said it will be around 4 lacs.

No booking yet and told me if I pay 5k booking amount I will get the first bike from them early next month.
Old 17th August 2015, 00:07   #60

I have a Unicorn and I am planning to upgrade. I am not in a hurry, so, I keep watching for a worthy upgrade to Unicorn. My budget is flexible. Now, R3 has stirred up quite a storm, quietly, as compared to the Revfest. Having seen R15 in action, I have become a fan of Yamaha quality. I have a simple query about ride experience. I have ridden my Unicorn for 300km in one go. Can you guys share your thoughts on this one.
ShashankM is offline   Reply With Quote