Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 11th August 2015, 11:46   #1
BHPian

Default Yamaha R3 launched at Rs. 3.25 lakhs

OFFICIAL : 321cc / 42 PS / Red Line between 12,500 to 13,500 rpm

Available in Midnight Black and Racing Blue.

Price = 3.25 lakh ex-showroom Delhi.

Yamaha R3 launched at Rs. 3.25 lakhs-yamaha-r3.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 11th August 2015 at 18:26. Reason: Adding image
barcalad is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 11:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Yamaha YZF-R3 starts testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
OFFICIAL :

Price = 3.25 lakh ex-showroom Delhi.

Does it come with ABS? Have they published all their technical specifications?
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 11:56   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Does it come with ABS? Have they published all their technical specifications?
No ABS. MRF tyres.

Please find the attached image for technical specifications.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha R3 launched at Rs. 3.25 lakhs-cmg3oaxuyaas_g.jpg  

barcalad is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 12:32   #4
BHPian

Leaving out ABS is disappointing, i had held on to my purchase of RC390 in anticipation of this bike, but non ABS is a deal breaker for me. I guess it will end up around 4.25 lacs OTR bangalore.
AtheK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 12:42   #5
BHPian

Default Yamaha R3 launched at Rs. 3.25 lakhs

As per power Drift Yamaha has launched R3 at 3.25 Lacs (Ex-Showroom Delhi)
PD FB page link: https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/lau...85706861512107

R3 Configuration details as per Business Standard:

The Yamaha R3 shall compete with the Kawasaki Ninja 300, KTM RC390 and the Benelli TNT 300. It will be available in three colour options namely Red, Blue, and Black. . The R3 comes with a 321cc, DOHC, 4-valve, liquid cooled, parallel twin motor that is mated to a six-speed transmission. In international markets, the engine is tuned to churn out 41 bhp of power @ 10,750 rpm and 30Nm of torque @ 9,000 rpm. It is not yet clear whether the same power output will be available on the Indian version. The bike weighs 169 kgs and has a 298 mm Disc at the front and 220 mm disc at the rear.

@Mods: Please merge this with original R3 thread if found inappropriate to start a new thread.

Last edited by GTO : 11th August 2015 at 14:35. Reason: Spacing :)
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 12:58   #6
BHPian

Default re: Yamaha R3 launched at Rs. 3.25 lakhs

I have been observing this trend lately.

The more the hype create for a product before its launch, the (even) more disappointment it creates after the launch.

This is regards to:
Creta, S-cross, Honda CBR 650F (also CBR 150R/250R), Yamaha Fascino etc. and now this!
3.25 lacs for a bike with no ABS!

We should really stop getting all too excited about the product launches I think.
Now I don't expect much from Yamaha R15.

Hopefully, ABS is made compulsory by next year as it was on the news lately (if I am not wrong.)
RavSam is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 13:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Leaving out ABS is disappointing, i had held on to my purchase of RC390 in anticipation of this bike, but non ABS is a deal breaker for me. I guess it will end up around 4.25 lacs OTR bangalore.
Which puts it squarely in Ninja 300 territory. And that's a battle it loses (at least on paper).

Honda start off by giving us an 'updated' CBR250R with new stickering schemes and then Yamaha drop the R3 on us. The Japanese must hate us

Cheers !

Sundar
MavericK46 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 13:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post

Haha. KTM must be laughing all the way to the bank.

But TBH, the high customs duties on imports really hikes up prices. There is nothing the manufactures can do. I guess it wouldn't make sense for Yamaha to manufacture the R3 in India as they might have already invested in a production facility elsewhere (Indonesia). Basically, financials and Indian import taxes screw up auto enthusiasts in this country...
loki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 13:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post

But TBH, the high customs duties on imports really hikes up prices. There is nothing the manufactures can do. I guess it wouldn't make sense for Yamaha to manufacture the R3 in India as they might have already invested in a production facility elsewhere (Indonesia). Basically, financials and Indian import taxes screw up auto enthusiasts in this country...
But on the contrary, Government intends to do that, to promote the manufacturers to set up manufacturing plants in India, instead of importing cars and bikes. This means more jobs, more revenue and more prosperity !

And R3 has been priced very well. If you notice - the Kawasaki Z250 costs almost the same as this fully fared bike with almost 75 cc and 15 PS more! So I would vouch for the R3, especially because the Ninja 300 does not offer ABS too - so nothing really puts the Kawasaki ahead of the R3, even on paper.
aravind.anand is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 13:54   #10
srh
BHPian

Default re: Yamaha R3 launched at Rs. 3.25 lakhs

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 11th August 2015 at 14:36.
srh is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 11th August 2015, 13:58   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post
Which puts it squarely in Ninja 300 territory. And that's a battle it loses (at least on paper).
Looking at the spec sheet, it's quite the opposite. The R3 wins everywhere, it's a slightly bigger engine, more power and torque, lighter and cheaper. Only the fuel tank is smaller

Name:  yr3 1.JPG
Views: 11782
Size:  31.4 KB
Name:  yr3 2.JPG
Views: 11934
Size:  32.8 KB
hifisharu is online now   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 13:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
But TBH, the high customs duties on imports really hikes up prices. There is nothing the manufactures can do.
That's right. Expecting lesser prices were just someone's fantasy. It's just not possible to come through the CKD price and price it aggressively. Bajaj known for it's aggressive pricing strategies could not do it with the Ninja. KTM RC390 in US sells for 5500 USD and R3 sells for 5000 USD approx. There KTM face the brunt of import in US. And keeping import duties high does kill the auto enthusiasts dreams but it's these high taxes which makes Manufacturers consider setting up manufacturing units in India creating jobs. "Make in India" They have at least resorted to CKD to keep the prices low.

I got to know few days back that they are importing very few models sold through selected dealers only. That made it very clear that they are going to keep it exclusive which does not make sense at all in their part to aggressively price it as with such few numbers they will always have more demand than they can supply.
abhisheksircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 14:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post

Honda start off by giving us an 'updated' CBR250R with new stickering schemes and then Yamaha drop the R3 on us. The Japanese must hate us

Cheers !

Sundar
Well I guess it is a better bike compared to ninja on paper atleast, but then ninja is a battle tested bike, and we will see how well the R3 fares, though I am sure it will be awesome.

Quote:

I don't have a gripe against pricing, I think they have managed it decently, my gripe is why skimp on ABS, specially for a bike which is meant and would be driven fast.

Last edited by n_aditya : 12th August 2015 at 21:22. Reason: formatting corrected
AtheK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 14:25   #14
BHPian

The price is along the expected lines IMO. One area where the Ninja is ahead is slipper clutch. If slipper clutch is factored in, they are on par in terms of price.

I personally don't find any point in investing in these bikes (Ninja and R3) if one is keen on upgrading 2-3 years later. It is better to buy a KTM 390, save some money and buy a properly fast 600 class bike later. If one wants better reliability and practicality, get a CBR instead of the KTM. 4L+ OTR for these 300s is way too much when you can ride home 600s for 6-7L.

A KTM with some after market parts installed would improve quality and reliability to an extent and will still be cheaper with ABS, better tyres, better handling etc. Also, I wouldn't trade that addictive 373cc mill to any parallel twin no matter how smooth they are. The parallel twins are too linear and boring to me personally. They don't 'feel' fast like the KTM's single.

Last edited by theredliner : 11th August 2015 at 14:27.
theredliner is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 14:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
Looking at the spec sheet, it's quite the opposite. The R3 wins everywhere, it's a slightly bigger engine, more power and torque, lighter and cheaper. Only the fuel tank is smaller
Dayum !
Didn't do a spec comparison.. Just went with the numbers I'd read a while ago

And since both bikes are CKDs, Yamaha hasn't priced itself out of the market, just out of the keyboard warrior's mind. As has been doing the rounds, I guess pricing from Bajaj/KTM has blinkered us into forgetting the impact that import duties have on CKD bikes even.
MavericK46 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote