Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th August 2015, 16:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Soul of a Royal Enfield...and other random thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
Let me assure you that i am not new bulleteer, having rebuilt Saand myself and a few BSAs and Triumphs prior. Nothing can mask the shortcoming of a bad product like good customer brainwashing.
Cheers
I was not speaking to you in that post of mine buddy. Check who I quoted in the post you quoted.

What else do you ride now besides Saand?
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 17:09   #32
BHPian

@MM440, people have their point of view and it's not incumbent on them to mould them to suit your opinions.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st August 2015 at 12:08. Reason: Post edited. You can be polite and make your point. No? :)
gopalmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 17:10   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I was not speaking to you in that post of mine buddy. Check who I quoted in the post you quoted.

What else do you ride now besides Saand?
Oops my bad. I ride a CBR250R, I exercise the Saand once in a while to keep the blood circulating through his old limbs.
MM440 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 17:11   #34
BANNED

Quote:
So you pumped bullets into your dead bullet hope it was a licensed one the revolver.
No one getting shot asks for a license , after getting shot it does not matter.

I spoke of a revolver only because revolvers and Re bullets are lost brothers,
No one will ask you for a license ,unless he himself is carring a bigger gun!

And most people buy both of them for same reason , Posing or whatever!
dustom_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 17:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalmg View Post
@MM440, people have their point of view and it's not incumbent on them to mould them to suit your opinions.
It's a light hearted humor, what do you call so called bulleteers discriminating against other bikers and their bikes. Chill dude.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st August 2015 at 12:09. Reason: Quoted post edited
MM440 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 17:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
Both wheels were found burried 4 inches inside ground , deflated , seat form eaten away , headlight hanging , almost whole bike had rusted , inside of fuel tank was so full of rust that I and my close friend decided to use it as a Target for a few revolver rounds.

After that mayhem we poured some petrol onto a totally stuck carb and tried to move the slide with fingers,hooked up an inverter battery .

That stupid thing Fired up on 4th damn kick. Without engine oil and without even cleaning the point or plug.

Poor engineering from world war 2 simply refuses to die .
Exactly the same situation albeit a still older bike which was abandoned to the fury of nature and time. My story of picking up a 1969 B1 Standard CI is no different that yours mate. That B1 was half buried into the ground and I saw it close to 14 months in the same state. My eyes caught the B1 stamping on the engine casing neck along with those military style heavy duty box mudguards and those single piece foot pegs and brake pedal. I knew it was a vintage Bullet and asked my mech if he is ready to sell it. He said it had some issues with the papers and is an ex-military bike. I steered clear of it listening to the issue with papers. After about 3 months I get a call from the mechanic saying the papers are now clear and if I am interesting in picking it up. I said I need to see its condition first and whether it can be revived from its grave.

Next weekend went to the mech's garage and same like you and your friend we digged it out of the ground and poured in some petrol, put a spare spark plug and connected it to a 12V 14aH battery the first kick went waste and so did the next five kicks. It was on the seventh kick that it roared to life like a sleeping giant woken from its sleep. That moment was surreal and brought me back on the ground. A beaten down, ignored and battered 43 year old(I bought it in 2012) motorcycle comes to life after being in hibernation for years together. Not many will understand the feeling one gets when such things happen. Like you said "Poor engineering from world war 2 era simply refuses to die." and this is what makes me keep going back to RE's. Undying Hunger!

Last edited by navin_v8 : 20th August 2015 at 17:17.
navin_v8 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 17:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

Lovely stories

I still get the same feeling when I have neglected Doppie for months, thanks to other stablemates, etc., and the tank is bone dry, not a drop of oil on the dip stick, dead battery, kilograms of dust and cobwebs and hairy creepy crawlies (some resident lizards as well), tyres soft and squishy and nearly flat,get a bottle of fuel from the pump down the road, dust her, prime the clutch and rings with some blank kicks, get a spare battery from the battery guy in my compound hooked up, and she fires! Sometimes clean, most times puking dirty congealed gooey oil from the breather and mosquito fogging white smoke from the exhaust. But she fires, and that I swear is the sweetest sound in the world.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 17:47   #38
BHPian

@ebonho,
Doc, technically, then I should not be called a bulleteer. The first Enfield I bought with my hard earned money is this Thundebird (2014). But, till now I thought myself as a bulleteer because, in my previous posts I was bragging that I learned to ride in the senior bullet and my guru was my dad. Since, it was in the family, I'm lucky enough to inherit a decent, well preserved bullet.

@gopalmg,
I too have experienced the brain freeze moment that you mentioned about. The old bull used to break that, maybe at 80kmph and the new one around 105 or so. But, I was generally telling about the build quality of the past and the present and the fact that nothing much have changed. Some of my nuts in the new thunderbird gets loosened now and then, and I have to tighten that again. Please consider the rattle part in a general sense.

@ MM440,
I'm not arguing about the reliability part sir and I agree to it. You are senior to me and have better experience in these matters. I did not have Triumphs or Nortons in my period ( talking about 90's) to experiment and the bullet was the big bike which was accessible to me. The first bike, I was introduced to was this bullet and I grew up seeing this niggles and this has become a part of my life. But, I don't agree that people who ride bullets will ride to show off. At least, I can say, I'm not.

For many like me, bullets might be the first bike that we are introduced to. I still say, may be if I upgrade in the future, the bike won't be an oilfield ( as MM440 fondly calls) and will probably look for an American or a Japanese cruiser. As rightly said, I'm not totally happy with the whole ownership experience, but the thread was about the soul of the Enfields and I didn't want an Enfield bashing thread.

Last edited by drdeepudev : 20th August 2015 at 17:55. Reason: clarity
drdeepudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 18:08   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdeepudev View Post
@ebonho,
Doc, technically, then I should not be called a bulleteer. The first Enfield I bought with my hard earned money is this Thundebird (2014). But, till now I thought myself as a bulleteer because, in my previous posts I was bragging that I learned to ride in the senior bullet and my guru was my dad. Since, it was in the family, I'm lucky enough to inherit a decent, well preserved bullet.
Well, the funny part is the community (the old timers specifically) accept all RE riders as Bulleteers. But not their bikes.

Of course you are a Bulleteer man.

The thing is, Bullets are dead. But if Bulleteering is confined only to Bullets, soon Bulleteering will die as well. So the dichotomy.

Last edited by ebonho : 20th August 2015 at 18:10.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 18:54   #40
BHPian

The reason why my dad bought a UCE (Classic 350) Enfield is because its NOT a Bullet. Enough said??
msrsooraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 19:30   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Well, the funny part is the community (the old timers specifically) accept all RE riders as Bulleteers. But not their bikes.

Of course you are a Bulleteer man.

The thing is, Bullets are dead. But if Bulleteering is confined only to Bullets, soon Bulleteering will die as well. So the dichotomy.
Pretty much like jeepers, all jeeps are equal but the older jeeps are more equal than the latter ones. Again similar story.
MM440 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 22:54   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Those who sold their Bullets and picked up better non-RE bikes.

And those that kept their old Bullets.
Count me in #2 here. My weekend steroids- one is ~10 year old while other is 10 weeks .

The Soul of a Royal Enfield...and other random thoughts-harley_bullet.jpg <br />
I have fancy for heavy metal sloths. Bullet remains first love and cruising at 60 kmph on it through state highways between fast disappearing sugarcane fields in the suburbs is heavenly.<br /> <br />
-BJ</div>   <div style=

Last edited by bj96 : 20th August 2015 at 22:58. Reason: rephrase
bj96 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 06:30   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalmg View Post
The Soul of Enfield

When I bought my first Royal Enfield bike – a Thunderbird 350 with AVL engine, a friend of mine who owned a 1984 Cast Iron engine Bullet dismissed my purchase with a very condescending, “Yeah it’s an Enfield, but it’s not really a Bullet.” Since then I have never mustered the courage to call my Thunderbirds – the older 350 and the newer 500 or my Continental GT a Bullet.

Talk about words wounding and scarring for life.

The upshot of all this has been a failed attempt at trying to turn my Thunderbird 350 in to a Bullet. I changed the company provided exhaust to the good old Dholki that turned the muted, sorry sound that the new AVL engine produced to the Enfield thump. Still no go. It was ‘Bullet enough’. Not according to my friend at least.
<Donning Optimus Prime Helmet> BOY! you don't ride a bullet to please others. You ride it because it pleases you. So stop looking for others acceptance and ride it like you mean it.

Humor aside, its for you decide whether you feel it has a soul or just a machine. It doesn't matter what others think. Btw I own a 2004 Std 500, its been 11 years and within this time I went through 2 cars and a Jeep. The only constant in my garage is the Bullet.

Why do people feel emotional about this bike, that's a philosophical question. Not just me, even my wife wont let the Bullet go away from our house (she only rides pillion with me, doesn't drive). My mechanic feels so possessive about it he asked me not let any one else fiddle with the bike even when I moved from Bangalore to Hyderabad, he is ready to take a bus and come all the way to work on it...what causes such emotions? it doesn't matter, just enjoy your bullet and ride it like you mean it

Cheers
vaspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 07:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

True pleasure in the last probably decade

- Every work done on the bike
- knowing exactly whats wrong when the bike wont start
- Sleeping bed on long rides
- T Nicolas Cage talking to the cobra in gone in 60 seconds, and secretly smiling knowing the number of such talks you had with your bull. Not sure if i have done that with a KTM, Yamaha or a Honda Valkyrie in my life.
- Atleast once in a ride calling out "Common Baby"
- Spending that whole saturday on the mechanic shop where you ended up doing just a chain tightening exercise but sitting there enjoying every work happening on a bullet
- Having the supreme confidence that the bike will NOT stop no matter what and knowing it can get started even if the engine fails
- THe sweet sound after an oil service and enjoying that for atleast a week before starting to thrash that engine

And only thing i can say is i got a bike which was not a bullet, tested a thunderbird and a standard 350, booked a 500 in less than 11 months of the first bike selling for a loss. Dad screamed yet he understood i was gettng the bullet.

The athena grey is here to stay for ever!!!

I will get many other bikes but can say the bullet stays in fam for ever.
VW2010 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 10:40   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I exercise the Saand once in a while to keep the blood circulating through his old limbs.
The very statement is a giveaway of your true feelings. You are still attached to your Bullet buddy.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote