Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 17th November 2015, 14:09   #1
BHPian

Default Pulsar 180: Need advice on engine rebuild

I have a pulsar 180 UG4. The bike is 6 years old and has run 52k kms. I have been servicing the bike regularly at 3k-4k intervals. After the first 15k kms, the bike is currently running on Motul300v. The bike is performing very well with no issues till date.
Gave it for service at a Bajaj service center, the SA informed that the Timing chain might need replacement, i asked to go ahead with it. Now he says me that the engine bore needs to be changed as there is wear on it. Since the engine is opened now, he wants to carry out the bore replacement in one go.
Wanted to check if this is something that i should be doing immediately or wait further till any issues show up. The bike so far has never consumed oil and no smoke. This is the first time I am servicing my bike at this service center (Shruthe Motors, Maraimalai nagar) and wanted to check if i am getting fleeced. Attached the pics of the Cylinder and Piston.
The usage of the bike has reduced drastically (less than 1k kms for almost a year). Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Pulsar 180: Need advice on engine rebuild-wp_20151117_001.jpg  

Pulsar 180: Need advice on engine rebuild-wp_20151117_003.jpg  

knaveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 17:13   #2
BHPian

Default re: Pulsar 180: Need advice on engine rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
I have a pulsar 180 UG4. The bike is 6 years old and has run 52k kms. I have been servicing the bike regularly at 3k-4k intervals. After the first 15k kms, the bike is currently running on Motul300v. The bike is performing very well with no issues till date.
Gave it for service at a Bajaj service center, the SA informed that the Timing chain might need replacement, i asked to go ahead with it. Now he says me that the engine bore needs to be changed as there is wear on it. Since the engine is opened now, he wants to carry out the bore replacement in one go.
(less than 1k kms for almost a year). Please advise.
The scoring marks are seen on the bore. This is not expected in just 52000 km.

Looks like some particle(s) trapped between the bore and the piston, thus scoring the bore. With regular servicing of the bike, the air filter must have been in proper order. I wonder how the particle entered the cylinder.

Good that it was noticed right now. Pl get the work done.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 17:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Run your fingernails through the scratch marks on the bore. If you can feel the scratches, you need a rebore and a new piston.

I'd suggest you get a new bore kit. They don't cost not too much than a rebore+new piston.
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 17:32   #4
BHPian

That looks like a seizure. You really don't have a choice. Putting it back in this condition means the seizure will just get very bad very fast. - a seizure is exponential, starts small but grows rapidly.

Just change the block and piston.

There are a lot of creative ways a mechanic can fleece you like showing you a block and piston from another bike but I doubt that will happen at an authorized service station.

Anyway, 50k kms sounds about the age where the major maintenance may be genuinely required.

Last edited by braindead : 17th November 2015 at 17:33.
braindead is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 18:50   #5
BHPian

If that is the state of the piston and bore, I did suggest you to replace it with a completely new cylinder block/liner and a new piston. Anyway you have opened the block and you would pay labor charges, so go ahead and replace the block and piston.

Do not go for re-bore as the re-boring machines used are machines which have outgrown their life and can no more be termed as precision machines. The results will not be good if you for re-bore and try to save some bucks.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 21:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

That bore looks scoured . Go ahead with the bore replacement kit . Also the head may need a visit to the lathe too.check it out
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2015, 11:51   #7
BHPian

Default Re: Pulsar 180: Need advice on engine rebuild

Thanks a lot team for the prompt responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
The scoring marks are seen on the bore. This is not expected in just 52000 km.

Looks like some particle(s) trapped between the bore and the piston, thus scoring the bore. With regular servicing of the bike, the air filter must have been in proper order. I wonder how the particle entered the cylinder.
Exactly my thoughts, especially with the bike serviced at almost 3k intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Run your fingernails through the scratch marks on the bore. If you can feel the scratches, you need a rebore and a new piston.

I'd suggest you get a new bore kit. They don't cost not too much than a rebore+new piston.
Thank you for this. I did run it through my finger nails, these look like scratches, but cannot feel anything as far as the scratches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
That looks like a seizure. You really don't have a choice. Putting it back in this condition means the seizure will just get very bad very fast. - a seizure is exponential, starts small but grows rapidly.

Just change the block and piston.

There are a lot of creative ways a mechanic can fleece you like showing you a block and piston from another bike but I doubt that will happen at an authorized service station.

Anyway, 50k kms sounds about the age where the major maintenance may be genuinely required.
Thank you. My engine block had unique way of paint peeled off, hence sure that it is from my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
If that is the state of the piston and bore, I did suggest you to replace it with a completely new cylinder block/liner and a new piston. Anyway you have opened the block and you would pay labor charges, so go ahead and replace the block and piston.

Do not go for re-bore as the re-boring machines used are machines which have outgrown their life and can no more be termed as precision machines. The results will not be good if you for re-bore and try to save some bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
That bore looks scoured . Go ahead with the bore replacement kit . Also the head may need a visit to the lathe too.check it out
Upon talking to the SA, he informed that he had procured the block/piston kit even before opening the engine hence he wanted to go ahead with it . His original quote was ~10k for everything, I was thinking if that is the case a new half-engine block costs ~13k and it is a bolt on fit, hence was reluctant on this process.
They had cleaned the engine block and used fine emery paper to clear out minor glazes.Had the timing chain and the ancillaries changed. Put everything back in with new oil. This along with certain minor fixes (footrest change, brake shoes, brake oil etc) costed 3.8k.
He asked me to run the bike gently for the next 500 - 1000kms and change the oil once to be sure.
Now i primarily use the bike only for grocery shopping (less than 2kms) and occasionally to the office when my car goes for service.

Reserved the piston/block change in the next 3-5k kms or if any symptoms show up.

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions. Appreciate it a lot .

Mods, please have this thread closed if needed.
knaveen is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote