Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 2nd December 2015, 21:55   #16
BHPian

Default Re: RMLC - My Tricolor Honda CBR250R ABS

Hi phamilyman,

You have made the right choice! Congrats! I too have been a follower of your posts regarding your search for the right bike.

I am very sure that this Honda won't disappoint you for years to come. You'll love the bike for it's reliability, trust me. Living with a CB Twister for 5 years. And never has she disappointed us. After the purchase of the Classic 350, she was neglected for a few months. But, when my Dad started riding her again, the bike started to run as smooth as ever. And he still "enjoys" riding the Twisty more than the Bullet.

Some people call the CBR 250R boring. But I can't find a reason why. It shouldn't be compared to bikes like the Duke. While one of them boasts of superb riding dynamics and a missile like engine, the other has bullet-proof reliability, an extremely smooth engine and superb touring capabilities.

I'll say that once the free services are over, you should go the FNG way. If you find the right mechanic, he will do a way better job than Honda ASC. It worked for us, at least. Two of my Dad's motorbikes are FNG serviced, though at different places.

Here's wishing you happy motor biking with your Ceeber for years to come. And please do keep this thread updated.

Keep revvin'
Neel

P.S: More pics please!

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 2nd December 2015 at 21:57.
petrolhead_neel is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 07:47   #17
BHPian

Heartiest congrats phamilyman

Have owned this beast for 18 months and 19k+ kms, and have some good memories. Thrust me one thing it excels at is touring and I believe it fits in your criteria perfectly. Commuting in stop go traffic will be an issue though. Its about getting used to (wearing gloves with good palm padding does help, gripping the tank and all)

About the engine oil change interval at 4k, I remember my 2012 model had 6000 kms interval. The only issue with service interval being that long is the engine top would be required at regular interval, say 1500 -2000. Maybe that's the reason they switched to 4000 interval. An advice, always keep extra can of engine oil at home (its still 10w 30 Honda I believe) and keep topping up, stretching to 6000 kms interval post warranty wont be an issue.

Enjoy the ride, and hope to see her in person soon
mehuel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 12:14   #18
BHPian

Congratulations phamilyman! The bike looks awesome. Wish you miles and miles of happiness on it!

It must be a great feeling to know that you made the right choice after so much of research and deliberation. Look forward to ride with you soon!

P.S. 30 something is not middle age. Earlier it used to be the 40's but now relegated to the 50s. (40 is the new 30 etc). Abhi aap jawan hai.
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 23:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Niggles:
  • For whatever reason, I feel a slight pain in my right palm under the thumb area. Over time, this results in significant numbness on a long ride - even if I ride just 15-20km.
  • In the sixth gear, it behaves like an alto (and a swift in all other gears!) - it takes its own sweet time to get upto 110. The difference is stark compared to gears 1-5.
  • The headlights are nice, but I think the P220 projector setup was better. At 100, I cannot depend on the bike's lighting alone. I will soon setup an auxiliary LED setup.
  • The mileage seems to be on the lower side - closer to 25, just off the top of my head. Will start tracking now and will report in due course.
  • Its heavy and I'm not fit anymore. Pushing the bike (say reversing out of a parking lot with haphazard parking) is impossible. The split grab rails don't work either. The weight is hardly felt once in motion, though.
  • The lack of a heel-shifter. I hate toe-only shifters. You cannot commute to office wearing formal shoes on a CBR without ruining them.
  • Synthetic engine oil and a 4000km drain interval? Seriously honda you're smoking something. I don't mind the cost but the drain interval should be 6000+ at the very least in a Honda engine!
As of now, I'm overall very happy. This bike is all I need, unless I migrate to a first world country with significantly generous speed limits or faster traffic.

That's it from my side for now - till the next few thousand km are added on. Ride safe, ride hard and rabb rakhaa!
Congrats on your purchase and wish you many trouble free miles on your steed. A few comments regarding the niggles listed above:

* I understand that you are an experienced rider and I do not mean to preach. But my guess is that the clutch and brake levers are angled slightly upwards which is causing pain in your hands. Try and get these adjusted if you have not already
* Could you elaborate on the Swift vs Alto thing? I think 6th is supposed to be a tall gear. What RPM are you shifting at. You would need to shift to 6th at a higher RPM than (say) 4th. On the 390 for example - shifting to 6th below 100 KPH makes the bike feel unhappy
* Mileage should improve as you clock more miles and the engine completes running in
* Sportbikes dont have heel shifters, but you already knew that. Although I do not recommend it, here's what a gentleman has done to his Duke. You can cut paste the design I am sure:

I would caution against wearing office shoes on a motorcycle though. Its just not safe
*Follow the service interval to the T. Honda will void your warranty in a heartbeat. Irrespective of how silly it seems, maintain the service intervals outlined in your service manual

Again, heartiest congos. Hope to see you on a ride soon
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 09:50   #20
BHPian

[/quote] Except for one fill when I got only 28kmpl, the rest of the fills got me between 36 - 39kmpl. All rides are alone. And given the Kerala roads in my part (Alappuzha / Kollam), usually well within 80kmph max, except for a rare burst touching ~100 now and then. My usage is very low - done only 2700kms in 1.5 years.[/quote]

You guys must be doing something seriously different to get an average between 36 to 39 kmpl. All I am in getting in Mumbai is 27 kmpl

Wondering whether it is because of traffic conditions here that I drive in or something seriously wrong with the way I am riding her.
sawnilrules is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 12:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post

You guys must be doing something seriously different to get an average between 36 to 39 kmpl. All I am in getting in Mumbai is 27 kmpl

Wondering whether it is because of traffic conditions here that I drive in or something seriously wrong with the way I am riding her.
City commute between 25 - 40kmph, 3rd to 5th gear - 29 - 33kmpl.

Highway riding - Twisties or Single carriageway NH/ SH where speeds are between 60 - 90 kmph in 6th gear - 35 - 39 kmpl.

Highway riding - barren straight NHs where speeds are between 100 - 120 kmph in 6th gear - 27 - 29 kmpl.

Highway riding - barren straight NHs where speeds are between 120 - 140kmph (T.W.O) - 25 - 27kmpl.
Added_flavor is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 15:51   #22
BHPian

I get what Added_Flavor gets in terms of fuel efficiency. It does matter how you get to the speeds that you're going to cruise at. Going TWO to get to road legal speeds in a matter of seconds when you're going to slow down and stop eventually does take a toll on the economy. Not to mention that we (AF and I) use engine braking and cruise to a standstill where we can.
Shanenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 16:07   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules
You guys must be doing something seriously different to get an average between 36 to 39 kmpl. All I am in getting in Mumbai is 27 kmpl. Wondering whether it is because of traffic conditions here that I drive in or something seriously wrong with the way I am riding her.
You say Mumbai, so I assume it is usual city commute to work and back, which is frequent stop-and-go traffic and hits mileage. My rides are on city/state highways of Kerala which are only 1-lane each way, but traffic is not like in city roads, with the run mostly done in the 3 upper gears, which could explain the better mileage.

Also, how do you guys calculate the bike's mileage in the absence of an on/off/reserve knob, like in commuter bikes ? I guess you do full-tank to full-tank method ? I use the following method.

- Fill a few litres till some blocks of the fuel-gauge come up.
- Ride around till all the blocks go off except the last one.
- Note down the odo reading (X) at which the last block starts blinking. Or set trip-meter to 0 at this point.
- Fill up petrol - say N litres.
- Ride around and note trip-meter odo reading when the last block blinks again (Y)
- Mileage for last fill = (Y-X) / N

Notes :
1) Sometimes a false blink can set in early when fuel is low and parked on side-stand. Ride around and this will go off.
2) Might seem like a tedious thing to note when the blink sets in, but not that difficult really.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 17:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Also, how do you guys calculate the bike's mileage in the absence of an on/off/reserve knob, like in commuter bikes ? I guess you do full-tank to full-tank method ? I use the following method.

- Note down the odo reading (X) at which the last block starts blinking. Or set trip-meter to 0 at this point.
- Ride around and note trip-meter odo reading when the last block blinks again (Y)
This is similar to reserve to reserve method, but the issue with digital consoles (minus a fuel knob for reserve) is that the amount of fuel varies almost every time the last bar starts blinking.
Assume that you hit reserve with 3L remaining in the tank, when that last bar blinks; you may have 2.5-3.5 L remaining in reality. Hence, you may take an average over 4-5 iterations to come close to the real world FE figures.
Full tank to full tank method gives a better reading (read, more precise) in fewer fills.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 17:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
You say Mumbai, so I assume it is usual city commute to work and back, which is frequent stop-and-go traffic and hits mileage. My rides are on city/state highways of Kerala which are only 1-lane each way, but traffic is not like in city roads, with the run mostly done in the 3 upper gears, which could explain the better mileage.

Notes :
1) Sometimes a false blink can set in early when fuel is low and parked on side-stand. Ride around and this will go off.
2) Might seem like a tedious thing to note when the blink sets in, but not that difficult really.

Thanks mate,

As you rightly mentioned, I use the bike to commute for work and back and mostly in dense traffic situations in the evening, where it's completely bumper to bumper traffic for almost 16 kms of my overall 20 kms drive one way.

I use the same method as mentioned by you for calculating FE. So then I think the FE that I am getting is decent enough
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 18:03   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan
Full tank to full tank method gives a better reading (read, more precise) in fewer fills.
Absolutely. No doubt that FT-to-FT method is the most reliable, in the absence of on/off/reserve knob.

Quote:
Assume that you hit reserve with 3L remaining in the tank, when that last bar blinks; you may have 2.5-3.5 L remaining in reality.
I am not sure I understood what you meant by the part in bold. What does "hit reserve with 3L remaining" mean ? Do you mean that the blink need not always come on everytime at exactly the same level of fuel remaining in the tank ?

Quote:
Hence, you may take an average over 4-5 iterations to come close to the real world FE figures.
Yes, few iterations would be needed to come to a real-world figure. But I do it for every fill. Since my fills are for around Rs500 (~8litres) and due to running being very low, the next fill would only be couple months later. So no big bother for me. Not possible for folks with lot more riding.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 22:17   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

As of May 2015, Honda Motorcycle quality has officially gone into the toilet. This is my May 2015 bike (bought in Nov 2015). The bike is always covered and sees only occasional use. The amount of rust it has accumulated in all random places pisses the living daylight out of me. if anyone knows the email address of some Honda higherups - please PM it to me.

Name:  rust1.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  123.5 KB

Name:  rust2.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  135.5 KB

Name:  rust3.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  134.3 KB

Name:  rust4.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  rust5.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  95.4 KB

Name:  rust6.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  109.4 KB

Name:  rust7.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  160.4 KB

The chain rusted even though it was last serviced in last week of May, and chain was oiled mid July. The photos are from ~15 Aug timeframe. My pulsar 180 had less rust despite almost 3 years of once in three month usage, and no cover, no TLC.

PS: Excuse the horrible photos. Redmi Note 3 has a useless camera, esp for macro.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2016, 10:08   #28
BHPian

If you're in Mumbai, can't help the rust. I have an Enfield, so you can imagine my plight. I don't use that horrid looking anti-rust coating and my bike has rusted around most of the welds, kick lever, upper side of forks, chain, etc. And it's seen only 1 monsoon.

For that matter, I had gone to check out the Versys 650 during the time I was fed up with my RE's niggles (refusal to start, etc.). I saw that one of the rear parts near the disc brakes was already rusted. In a showroom Versys! So I suppose even the best quality cannot cope up with our salty, humid weather.

My CBR 250 had come with those handlebar bolts already in rusted condition. Asked the ASC several times to replace them, but they didn't. This was in Bangalore. But no other part of the bike ever rusted even on usage in wet weather. Probably because mine was a basement parking and used to remain dry all the time. Sadly, not so with the Enfield in Mumbai.

I'm again looking for a "reliable" replacement and the CBR was on my mind, but it seems dated and there are some good models around the corner - BMW G310R, 2017 D390 and perhaps the CBR 300/400F. Not considering the CS/VS 400 though.
farhadtarapore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2016, 10:56   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
If you're in Mumbai, can't help the rust. I have an Enfield, so you can imagine my plight. I don't use that horrid looking anti-rust coating and my bike has rusted around most of the welds, kick lever, upper side of forks, chain, etc. And it's seen only 1 monsoon.

For that matter, I had gone to check out the Versys 650 during the time I was fed up with my RE's niggles (refusal to start, etc.). I saw that one of the rear parts near the disc brakes was already rusted. In a showroom Versys! So I suppose even the best quality cannot cope up with our salty, humid weather.

My CBR 250 had come with those handlebar bolts already in rusted condition. Asked the ASC several times to replace them, but they didn't. This was in Bangalore. But no other part of the bike ever rusted even on usage in wet weather. Probably because mine was a basement parking and used to remain dry all the time. Sadly, not so with the Enfield in Mumbai.

I'm again looking for a "reliable" replacement and the CBR was on my mind, but it seems dated and there are some good models around the corner - BMW G310R, 2017 D390 and perhaps the CBR 300/400F. Not considering the CS/VS 400 though.
Sirjee, two things. I'm in Gurgaon. The handlebar bolts, exhaust and the saree guard had rust even before the monsoon - basically in about 2-3 showers in all.

The G310R should be the most interesting proposition IMHO, esp since they would want to make a splash, so the first batch would have hardly any cost cutting!

PS: I know what you mean reg anti rust coating - I've seen bikes in mumbai looking really grotesque for this one reason. Such a killjoy.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2016, 11:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
As of May 2015, Honda Motorcycle quality has officially gone into the toilet. This is my May 2015 bike (bought in Nov 2015). The bike is always covered and sees only occasional use. The amount of rust it has accumulated in all random places pisses the living daylight out of me. if anyone knows the email address of some Honda higherups - please PM it to me.

The chain rusted even though it was last serviced in last week of May, and chain was oiled mid July. The photos are from ~15 Aug timeframe. My pulsar 180 had less rust despite almost 3 years of once in three month usage, and no cover, no TLC.

PS: Excuse the horrible photos. Redmi Note 3 has a useless camera, esp for macro.
I see, you have bought yourself a Royal Honda Bullet
Jokes apart, these rust patches are mostly surface rust which has not penetrated the metal or paint. I agree a quality product must not rust like this, especially in a dry place like Gurgaon, however these can be easily cleaned by using a small quantity of WD40 or similar penetrating oil.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote