Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 4th December 2015, 11:40   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Two-wheelers will be allowed to carry cargo from April 2016

The Government of India is planning to allow two-wheelers to carry cargo from April 2016.

From the next fiscal, two-wheelers can be fitted with cargo boxes, in which, they will be allowed to carry goods and medical equipment. These boxes are likely to measure up to 550 mm in length and 510 mm in width and have a carrying capacity of up to 30 kg. Bikes fitted with cargo boxes will not be allowed to carry pillion riders.

A new category called the two-wheeler ambulance is also expected to be introduced. While these vehicles cannot transport patients, they will provide medical aid to people living in congested areas where larger ambulances have trouble reaching. The proposal for the introduction of these vehicles was floated in 2013.

Source: Times of India

Last edited by Aditya : 10th December 2015 at 09:55.
Aditya is online now   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 11:45   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Two-wheelers will be allowed to carry cargo from April 2016

This is a real good news. We need them better late than never. In Crowded narrow lanes of north chennai it takes 20min on peak hour to cross a stretch less than 3 Km.
sri2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 12:30   #3
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm wondering how these kind of 2 wheelers are already operating before the law is passed to allow them in the first place :
1. Pizza and other restaurant/food delivery services have been operating on 2 wheelers since several years. Are these illegal (at present at least, till the law is effected) ?

2. Bike ambulances were launched in Bangalore earlier this year in April. Are these illegal too ? - Link

Last edited by NPV : 4th December 2015 at 12:34.
NPV is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 12:32   #4
BHPian

Not a good news for car owners. Visualize that acid reflex you get when you are in rush hour traffic and see one of these guys in the rear view mirror crawling his way between two lanes with his precious metal cargo holder.
I will start my frantic search for side armor for my car and of course flexible wing mirrors.

Last edited by adrian : 4th December 2015 at 12:34.
adrian is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 13:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

So what of the TVS XL Super, which is marketed from the past several years specifically as a cargo carrier? The pillion seat is most easily removable, revealing a nice sturdy flat frame on which one can mount and/or fabricate cargo boxes.

Was this illegal? If so, why haven't I seen cops stopping them, and why does the RTO continue to register them?

Is the law just trying to "formalise" a generally accepted practice?
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 16:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I'm wondering how these kind of 2 wheelers are already operating before the law is passed to allow them in the first place [/url]
You bring up a good point. I believe retrofitting anything on a vehicle in India is illegal. Be it exhausts, horns, lights and in this case - fitment of luggage cases specific to use for transportation.

The change introduced is for OEMs to be able to certify for example a pizza delivery bike from the RTO itself. This will also bring structure to how much (dimension, weight) you can haul on a two wheeler.

I feel the two wheeler norms in India need significant upgrading and know for sure that work is in progress for this. (but) It will be achieved over long term.
nitrogary is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 16:54   #7
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2015 at 13:43.
asingh1977 is online now   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 5th December 2015, 11:01   #8
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Also, I think this is more to do with vehicle registration at the RTO, most likely it will have a different and higher fee structure compared to regular 2 wheelers ?

This will probably bring up the issue of Re-registration/Regularisation of 2 wheelers currently being used for such cargo services.
This rule seems to only address the usage of boxes on 2 wheelers but what about those TVS 50 "super bikes" lugging around 4 cylinders on a side frame ? I hope the rule will clarify if these are allowed or not.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 11:53   #9
BHPian

I have seen a lot of motorcycles being modified to carry milk-cans.
Very vaguely, I have seen the first ones around 1975 or so.
I wonder, if they are also covered by this law.
Also, what about the guys carrying huge stacks of bread and other bakery products in huge cages?

So, is this just a new way to collect more money - taxes, charges and finally 'under the table'?

I hope not!
I hope this is a new way to make the designs safer/better.

Let us see. Time will tell.
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 12:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
So what of the TVS XL Super, which is marketed from the past several years specifically as a cargo carrier? The pillion seat is most easily removable, revealing a nice sturdy flat frame on which one can mount and/or fabricate cargo boxes.
So is case with the TVS Max4R

Two-wheelers will be allowed to carry cargo from April 2016-max4r.jpg

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote