Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2015, 10:54   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
Congratulations mate for picking up the best track ready machine. I was surprised that you didn't pick up the R3, considering you were a fan of Yamaha machines and literally grew up on them. Had I not picked up the CBR250R this February, I would have undoubtedly picked up the R3.

Ride safe as you keep piling on the odometer.
Thank you Sawnilrules. Yes, I just love Yamaha machine's and being one lazy butt of a company in India when it comes to excting launches, the image had totally diminished off my mind. If not for the Rx series that I own, I really don't find anything interesting happening from YMIL as the've always been late to the party and always keen in scooter segments off late trying to catch up with HMSI.

Anyway's R3 is a great bike and not very often there's a Mind Vs Heart conversation's in which the Mind wins practically thinking. Few of the points mind threw on the table against the R3 was; Trellis Frame, ABS, Metz tires, USD forks, Projector Headlights and of course the higher power it makes. Finally it's a food 1.25L more than the RC.
dual disc 200 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 14:02   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390

Update on the Bug Eye. It's been almost a month since the bike came into my life and apart from the regular work pressure these MNC's keep pressing on my head there was nothing interesting happening to me nor to the Bug eye.

Bug eye got slime filled in both tire's making it puncture resistant to some extent without which, I was not at peace trusting the roadside puncture experts.







The Bug eye was sitting with 75 kms on the odo, a quick finishing up of the weekend office work made me think, why not a trip? Sunday Morning at about 06:30 A.M, the bug eye was all set to go to Ooty. On the way to fuel pump the bike switched off due to a pedestrian crossing and post which the bike refused to start. Multiple attempts and finally the bike started and all of a sudden the engine started to knock. (What's surprising me was this, Is that the new Helmet that I was wearing, amplifying the noise like knocking or the bike really knock's) Went to the pump, filled up petrol (Normal) and set out for the ride. All through the way I somehow had the feeling that the bike was knocking which after started to enjoy the twisties left all those worries back.

The bike performed flawless throughout the trip if not for the knocking issue. The bike gave me so..much of feedback that it actually teaches you how to ride. Didn't actually bother to measure the fuel economy, but managed to head back to home at Coimbatore with a single tank of fuel.

ABS kicked in at two instances which was really nice, braked were quiet enough for me coupled with engine braking. Few times felt that the Slipper clutch was an additional welcome, although not mandatory.

Anyways, will see how this goes about. A few pics for now.








dual disc 200 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 20:38   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
Urban_Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,329
Thanked: 1,285 Times
Default Re: The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390

^^ @nd pic from top : Getting your lean on I see, or am I wrong?



Congrats and whatever little I can make out from your tyres, you are using her well
Urban_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 21:43   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
^^ @nd pic from top : Getting your lean on I see, or am I wrong?



Congrats and whatever little I can make out from your tyres, you are using her well
Thanks Urban Nomad, Cutting to the chase, these Metz would simply spoil you testing your skills.

Am I right?
dual disc 200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 22:03   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
Urban_Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,329
Thanked: 1,285 Times
Default Re: The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390

Oh absolutely! Nothing better on a set of twisties

not so much fun once the road surface deteriorates though. But we are talking about the RC here, whose life is (and should be) a set of tight corners and well laid tarmac

I am going around suggesting the Michelin Street to everyone on the 390 forum. Not for the RC though. With better cornering clearance than the duke, she will run off the edge of those tyres. The Metz are a perfect companion and the profile (not referring to side wall) of that tyre suits the RC very well. I would recommend you stick to the Metz when the time comes to get new rubber

Ride safe, keep the shiny side up
Urban_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 09:42   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Oh absolutely! Nothing better on a set of twisties

not so much fun once the road surface deteriorates though. But we are talking about the RC here, whose life is (and should be) a set of tight corners and well laid tarmac

I am going around suggesting the Michelin Street to everyone on the 390 forum. Not for the RC though. With better cornering clearance than the duke, she will run off the edge of those tyres. The Metz are a perfect companion and the profile (not referring to side wall) of that tyre suits the RC very well. I would recommend you stick to the Metz when the time comes to get new rubber

Ride safe, keep the shiny side up
Very True, It's criminal to change anything apart from Metz for an RC. It's simply not doing justice for the brilliant package offered.

Have found a dealer who stock's EBC sintered pads for the RC and I'm waiting for the fresh stocks to arrive.

Also, seems like the Speedo is kind of fogging up on the top most corner which will deteriorate even worse as time passes by. Will this qualify for a replacement under warranty?





dual disc 200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 00:37   #22
BHPian
 
VijayAnand1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nilgiris, Ooty
Posts: 186
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390

First bug for the bug eh!

Well, I've had the same issue on my ex-390, and yes, it almost always starts with the edge of the console initially when the motorcycle was washed, or taken after for ride after parking for a prolonged period, this was when I observed it, but didn't give much heed to that as it was pressure washed, yes you heard that right, pressure washed, and progressively gets worse, but after doing some trail rides in VERY heavy rain, the center console almost fogged up so badly I couldn't see the speeds, it was high-time, and I did get mine replaced and hasn't fogged up since then. The plus is you get a new console with ZERO on the ODO, well, if you don't mind that, then why not.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 23rd December 2015 at 00:59.
VijayAnand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 14:06   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
First bug for the bug eh!

Well, I've had the same issue on my ex-390, and yes, it almost always starts with the edge of the console initially when the motorcycle was washed, or taken after for ride after parking for a prolonged period, this was when I observed it, but didn't give much heed to that as it was pressure washed, yes you heard that right, pressure washed, and progressively gets worse, but after doing some trail rides in VERY heavy rain, the center console almost fogged up so badly I couldn't see the speeds, it was high-time, and I did get mine replaced and hasn't fogged up since then. The plus is you get a new console with ZERO on the ODO, well, if you don't mind that, then why not.

Cheers!
VJ

Thanks VJ, have already sent the pics to the Service guy at the local showroom, he has agreed to replace once he gets approvals. Taking the bike for first service tomorrow. Will discuss the same in person with him.

Btw. have you ever encountered unusual knocking occasionally?

Anyone?
dual disc 200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 18:15   #24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 21
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390

Quote:
Tires: This needs a special mention as at time's I've got myself confused is that the tyres that stick like leech or the heavy engine braking in this bike that stops the rear wheel for a fraction of a second while hard downshift's. Eventually found out that it's a wedlock of both working in harmony. In simple, the Metz do not need more than 2-3 minutes to warm-up unlike others that require 2-3 laps. This would simply spoil you. Although the pricing is on the higher side when compared to the Michelin Pilot Sport Radial or it's competetiors, considering the amount of grip, it give's, should be a decent investment.

Braking: I slightly beg to differ when it comes to braking as a complaint that's been around saying that the braking effeicency isn't enough. Again, coming from a 2 stroke, it's always engine braking added to brake modulation that gives total control. Using the same technique on the RC, i find the braking power to be adequate. Although, high speed panic braking is something I would love to see how the bike fares, Yet to stretch the bug as it's been brick limited to 7.5k rpm till the first service. Again, if the brake's aren't adequate there's always dual sintered pads to the rescue that's pretty easily available in India.

Clutch: This needs a special mention as this is something that I've never seen it hard apart from a few other things in life Anyway's, coming to the point, to all the prospective RC buyer's, feel the CBR 250R clutch for once and the story end's there. My finger's started aching so bad that I literally had to stop for a cup of tea to ease out. I've seen a different clutch actuator arm in the D 390, probably because of the slipper clutch, let me try installing one of them that might potentially reduce the human input required.

Suspension: Probably not the best in the field as nothing can be adjusted when it comes to front forks, but decent enough. The rear although requires preload adjustment for me to take the Bug Eye to hills without scrapping it's underbelly, again the tool given by KTM for the same is pretty useless. There's is no working space for the tool to make the adjustments one wishes to make. The rear setting is at 3 ticks and I require atleast 8 ticks to safely run on the twisties which I'll be doing soon.
@Dual_Disc_200, congratulations on getting the RC390. It has been two years since I bought the DUKE 390 and it never fails to put a wide smile on my face even today. Your observations of the motorcycle are bang on. However, since I have gone through most of the same things, listing them out might help.

On tyres for the 390, I am on my third pair now. The stock Metzeler Sportec M5 lasted me around 8 thousand kms. Next, I tried the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 and it lasted for around 7 thousand kms. Now, I am on the Michelin Street Pilot Radial. In terms of grip, the Pirellis were the best, followed closely by the Metzeler and then the Michelin. However, the drastic difference in price is favourable to the Michelin. In daily world conditions, the difference between these tyres isn't much. The Michelin also looks much more durable than the others.

On brakes and clutch, a pair of replacement levers make a huge difference to the feedback provided by the ride. Though the heavy clutch was an issue with the bike initially even for me, I got used to the feel in time. Also, the reach-adjustable leavers will help decrease the heavy feel.
On the preload adjustment for the rear monoshock, I tried the same 8 clicks. The rear end becomes very bouncy, making is much more terrible for the pillion. Even riding single, 8 makes it very bouncy. Try 6. I find it has the best of both worlds.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th December 2015 at 07:30.
MonsterTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 18:44   #25
BHPian
 
VijayAnand1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nilgiris, Ooty
Posts: 186
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390

It's hard to discern just by words Ram, what you are actually experiencing. I haven't really experienced any knocking, per se, as I always fuel from one particular pump, and I've thrashed the bike as much as I can here, and absolutely nothing. But I did face a couple of stalls when the bike was new, not while riding, but say you're idling the bike after a cold morning, but she'll come alive with the touch of the starter, and that was when she was brand new, I think hardly two instances I believe and haven't faced even that thereafter.

Did you have this knock while taking the delivery of the bike? Have you checked/adjusted your shim clearances? You never know, some times these things have valve timings off tight/loose valves on one of the four valves and it leads to knock, premature cam failure and all nasty things.

If you observe any pinging kind of noise, or abnormal khat, khat noise from the engine, and you're sure about the quality of the fuel you're using (is good quality fuel) it's imperative you take your bike to the SVC and get your timing and valves checked.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 20:00   #26
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 21
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390

Mod note: Fixing Quotes, please use Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

Quote:
Btw. have you ever encountered unusual knocking occasionally?

Anyone?
What fuel are you using?
Quality is fuel is the most likely cause. Initially, I used only RON 95 and 97, but due to the lack of availability I started using normal fuel and within months there was a drastic change in the way the bike sounded. It became gruff and knocking became common. Ever since, I have switched to 95 and 97 and it has become butter smooth again.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd December 2015 at 20:05. Reason: Fixing Quotes.
MonsterTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 12:53   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterTorque View Post

What fuel are you using?
Quality is fuel is the most likely cause. Initially, I used only RON 95 and 97, but due to the lack of availability I started using normal fuel and within months there was a drastic change in the way the bike sounded. It became gruff and knocking became common. Ever since, I have switched to 95 and 97 and it has become butter smooth again.
I'm using the normal RON 91 unleaded that's available in Common. Have heard Xtra Premium and Speed has only additives and still RON 91. The Only Premium Fuel available is RON 97 which I feel is an overkill for both wallet as well as for the bike.

Probably I'll try IOC Xtra Premium this time and see if the knocking reduces or stops, if not will try Octane Boosters with normal RON 91 unleaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
It's hard to discern just by words Ram, what you are actually experiencing. I haven't really experienced any knocking, per se, as I always fuel from one particular pump, and I've thrashed the bike as much as I can here, and absolutely nothing. But I did face a couple of stalls when the bike was new, not while riding, but say you're idling the bike after a cold morning, but she'll come alive with the touch of the starter, and that was when she was brand new, I think hardly two instances I believe and haven't faced even that thereafter.

Did you have this knock while taking the delivery of the bike? Have you checked/adjusted your shim clearances? You never know, some times these things have valve timings off tight/loose valves on one of the four valves and it leads to knock, premature cam failure and all nasty things.

If you observe any pinging kind of noise, or abnormal khat, khat noise from the engine, and you're sure about the quality of the fuel you're using (is good quality fuel) it's imperative you take your bike to the SVC and get your timing and valves checked.

Cheers!
VJ
Thanks VJ, The knocking I'm talking about is 100% Fuel issue knocking as I can derive from my experience. The knocking is felt or heard only at slow speeds and smoothens out once you hit higher rpm's. Anyway, the Bug Eye is gone for it's first service today. Let me fill IOC Xtra Premium and write my findings here.

Also, the Bug Eye is getting a new Speedo today

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterTorque View Post
@Dual_Disc_200, congratulations on getting the RC390. It has been two years since I bought the DUKE 390 and it never fails to put a wide smile on my face even today. Your observations of the motorcycle are bang on. However, since I have gone through most of the same things, listing them out might help.

On tyres for the 390, I am on my third pair now. The stock Metzeler Sportec M5 lasted me around 8 thousand kms. Next, I tried the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 and it lasted for around 7 thousand kms. Now, I am on the Michelin Street Pilot Radial. In terms of grip, the Pirellis were the best, followed closely by the Metzeler and then the Michelin. However, the drastic difference in price is favourable to the Michelin. In daily world conditions, the difference between these tyres isn't much. The Michelin also looks much more durable than the others.

On brakes and clutch, a pair of replacement levers make a huge difference to the feedback provided by the ride. Though the heavy clutch was an issue with the bike initially even for me, I got used to the feel in time. Also, the reach-adjustable leavers will help decrease the heavy feel.
On the preload adjustment for the rear monoshock, I tried the same 8 clicks. The rear end becomes very bouncy, making is much more terrible for the pillion. Even riding single, 8 makes it very bouncy. Try 6. I find it has the best of both worlds.
Thanks Monster Torque, I've already ordered some El-cheapo Chinese adjustable levers and awaiting delivery as it's currently sitting at Singapore starting from China.

Planning for the Slipper upgrade after the feel I experienced from the latest D 390, Let me see how far it gets materialized.

About the Metz tyres, I'm loving them and would like to know how did it fare with the Diablo Rosso II and cost if you don't mind.
dual disc 200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 18:54   #28
BHPian
 
VijayAnand1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nilgiris, Ooty
Posts: 186
Thanked: 101 Times
Post Re: The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by dual disc 200 View Post

Thanks VJ, The knocking I'm talking about is 100% Fuel issue knocking as I can derive from my experience. The knocking is felt or heard only at slow speeds and smoothens out once you hit higher rpm's. Anyway, the Bug Eye is gone for it's first service today. Let me fill IOC Xtra Premium and write my findings here.
Beautiful. Try using better quality fuel and see how it fares, in my experience, crappy unleaded is a supreme killjoy for such a capable machine as this, which leads to poor performance, uneven idling, and even fuel pump failure in some cases.

Pamper your bug with a good wash, park the bike for a day or two, and try riding it on a sunny day and observe if you find any vapor condensation around the perimeter of the speedo -- hope it gets resolved. Keep us posted.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 19:22   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Beautiful. Try using better quality fuel and see how it fares, in my experience, crappy unleaded is a supreme killjoy for such a capable machine as this, which leads to poor performance, uneven idling, and even fuel pump failure in some cases.

Pamper your bug with a good wash, park the bike for a day or two, and try riding it on a sunny day and observe if you find any vapor condensation around the perimeter of the speedo -- hope it gets resolved. Keep us posted.

Cheers!
VJ
Thanks VJ, Will give the Bug Eye a full tank of IOC Xtra Premium and see the findings. Will do the water wash test and report back. Also, the Bug gets a new speedo with 0 Miles on the odo..
dual disc 200 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 21:00   #30
BHPian
 
The Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 604
Thanked: 600 Times
Default Re: The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by dual disc 200 View Post
I'm using the normal RON 91 unleaded that's available in Common. Have heard Xtra Premium and Speed has only additives and still RON 91. The Only Premium Fuel available is RON 97 which I feel is an overkill for both wallet as well as for the bike.

Probably I'll try IOC Xtra Premium this time and see if the knocking reduces or stops, if not will try Octane Boosters with normal RON 91 unleaded.
Try the IOC normal unleaded petrol with "ADD ON" additive, both for your bike and car. I don't generally recommend any product without first trying extensively on my bike / car. Believe me this product is superb. Just try 1 pouch per 10 liters and you will feel the difference.

As for your speedo replacement its really good to know they are covering it under warranty, I had the same issue with my headlight on the TVS Jupiter which was denied under warranty.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India made KTM Duke 390 & RC 390 to be sold in the USA Tushar Motorbikes 1 7th January 2015 13:59
The Story of my Yamaha Road Star Warrior XV1700 rajushank84 Superbikes & Imports 10 25th March 2014 04:17
A Maruti WagonR Story - The blue eyed boy carzone Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 5th July 2013 16:43
KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg djay99 Motorbikes 620 25th June 2013 12:45
Ode to my bug-eyed toy -Santro XG. dot Long-Term Ownership Reviews 4 15th April 2011 13:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks