Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2015, 17:23   #1
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,300
Thanked: 23,860 Times
Default Honda two-wheelers getting BS-IV engines, ABS, CBS in 2016

Honda has revealed that it will give its entire range of two-wheelers some updates for 2016.

All two-wheelers in the company's line-up will receive engines that comply with BS-IV emission norms. This will prepare the company to meet the deadline of March 31, 2017, set by the government for making all two-wheelers BS-IV complaint.

Additionally, products with engines larger than 125cc, will be given anti-locking braking systems (ABS) as a part of standard equipment. All bikes up to 125cc, will get combined braking systems (CBS).

These updates are expected to increase the costs of the products and if the government decides to advance the implementation of BS-V norms, the costs will rise further.

About 16 million two-wheelers are sold in India every year. It is expected to grow to 20 million units by 2020. Honda is planning to start one production line at its new plant in Gujarat in January 2016. It will have a capacity of 6 lakh units per annum. A second line with a similar capacity will be added after four months. The company is also in the process of expanding its old plant in Karnataka.

Source: ET Auto
Aditya is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 16:11   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Tushar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,138
Thanked: 8,355 Times
Default Re: Honda two-wheelers getting BS-IV engines, ABS, CBS in 2016

Good move Honda. With the whole emission debate raging on, this news has come in at a good time since bikes contribute so much to pollution (when you consider the amount collectively).

The ABS and CBS combo is great too. I'd like to see ABS across the range from 100cc, but standard CBS is a good start. Also want to see if it's dual channel ABS we're talking about here.

Last edited by Tushar : 15th December 2015 at 16:13.
Tushar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 16:24   #3
BHPian
 
Shanenanigans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 108
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: Honda two-wheelers getting BS-IV engines, ABS, CBS in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Good move Honda. With the whole emission debate raging on, this news has come in at a good time since bikes contribute so much to pollution (when you consider the amount collectively).

The ABS and CBS combo is great too. I'd like to see ABS across the range from 100cc, but standard CBS is a good start. Also want to see if it's dual channel ABS we're talking about here.
Single channel ABS is good too. But I don't think that is just enough. Consumers will need to be informed that ABS will activate on the front brakes, so that they don't rely on rear brakes ( I've seen people who rely on them exclusively in traffic, on Splendors and what not ). If not anything else, it'll definitely be safer for the public.

It won't stop people from riding and driving recklessly and vindictively though.
Shanenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 16:30   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
ashwin.terminat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,392
Thanked: 1,279 Times
Default Re: Honda two-wheelers getting BS-IV engines, ABS, CBS in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Additionally, products with engines larger than 125cc, will be given anti-locking braking systems (ABS) as a part of standard equipment. All bikes up to 125cc, will get combined braking systems (CBS).
Does this mean Disk Brakes on all bike >125cc? I understand drum brakes can have ABS too. But, I am reading now that setting up ABS on Disk Brakes is easier.

Nevertheless, a good move from Honda.

Although, I wonder at times. If someone learns riding on an ABS equipped motorcycle, how will he/she cope with a non-ABS equipped motorcycle considering a majority of the motorcycles running into the later part of this decade will not have ABS?

Imagine jamming the brakes on a Pulsar 220 expecting the bike to not skid since you are acclimatized to ABS vehicles and the bike starts an unholy skid!

I might be cynical, but it is just something I thought of.
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 16:57   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default Re: Honda two-wheelers getting BS-IV engines, ABS, CBS in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Does this mean Disk Brakes on all bike >125cc? I understand drum brakes can have ABS too. But, I am reading now that setting up ABS on Disk Brakes is easier.

Nevertheless, a good move from Honda.

Although, I wonder at times. If someone learns riding on an ABS equipped motorcycle, how will he/she cope with a non-ABS equipped motorcycle considering a majority of the motorcycles running into the later part of this decade will not have ABS?

Imagine jamming the brakes on a Pulsar 220 expecting the bike to not skid since you are acclimatized to ABS vehicles and the bike starts an unholy skid!

I might be cynical, but it is just something I thought of.
oh come on!!!
This sounds like the drum brake vs Disc brake comparo more than a decade ago;
where people used to claim how drums are better than discs and how disc brakes can cause accidents.
akshay4587 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 17:34   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
ashwin.terminat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,392
Thanked: 1,279 Times
Default Re: Honda two-wheelers getting BS-IV engines, ABS, CBS in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
This sounds like the drum brake vs Disc brake comparo more than a decade ago;
where people used to claim how drums are better than discs and how disc brakes can cause accidents.
To be fair, the two arguments are as different as chalk and cheese.

With drum brakes or disk brakes, when the brakes are jammed, the wheel will lock. The end result of the action regardless of the mechanism involved, is the same.

But with ABS, it is much, much different. In one corner, you have a bike that has lost all traction. On the other corner, you have a bike that still has traction.

I agree that ABS will save lives, which is the crux of the matter. I just want people to be skilled enough to save themselves in case the electronics go kaput.

It's just a thought I had. Not saying that bikes should be sold without ABS at all.

Adding ABS to bikes will increase bike prices by 13%. Given that the Apache 180 and Apache 180 ABS are almost 10k apart in price. Perhaps compensating for this by introducing Insurance premium reductions owing to the ABS will be a good idea?

CBS with drum brakes is no biggie. So should not add to the overall cost of the bike too much.

As a motorist, I wholeheartedly support this move. As a motorcyclist, not so much. Please don't shoot me.
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 11:04   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,705
Thanked: 89,156 Times
Default Re: Honda two-wheelers getting BS-IV engines, ABS, CBS in 2016

Kudos to Honda two-wheelers, shame on Honda 4-wheelers. One plans to make ABS standard on anything over 125 cc, the other sells cars over 1,000 cc without ABS. Honda cars actually took a step back - at one time, all their Indian cars had ABS & Airbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
But with ABS, it is much, much different. In one corner, you have a bike that has lost all traction. On the other corner, you have a bike that still has traction.
I don't think it's that simple. The difference will be felt when the bikes / brakes are on the limit. And ABS doesn't mean absolute traction - it can still skid on some surfaces.

Quote:
Adding ABS to bikes will increase bike prices by 13%.
No ways. ABS for bikes is actually far cheaper, considering car manufacturers are able to sell dual airbags & ABS for 20,000. Just wait for ABS to become more mainstream - you'll probably see it as an option for 3 - 4k. Continental also has a low-cost ABS on offer (link).
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 21:03   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi / Chandigarh
Posts: 44
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Honda two-wheelers getting BS-IV engines, ABS, CBS in 2016

Indeed a very good move by Honda, not just for ABS but to adhere to BS IV norms as well, especially in light of the entire situation around pollution and various measures being planned/undertaken to address it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Kudos to Honda two-wheelers, shame on Honda 4-wheelers. One plans to make ABS standard on anything over 125 cc, the other sells cars over 1,000 cc without ABS. Honda cars actually took a step back - at one time, all their Indian cars had ABS & Airbags.
Very good point @GTO and IIRC, there was an article in the paper some time back that Honda is going to mandate ABS & airbags on all upcoming cars in 2016 (I think it was). Searched but could not locate that article. ABS / Airbags should be a must in all cars across variants even if it means a slightly higher cost. I am sure that given the bulk volume of purchase by car manufacturers (for airbags / ABS systems etc.) the cost would not be too high to incorporate them across all variants.

Another reason why it is not always available across variants could be that people do not explicitly ask for it and pick up variants which do not have these as well making companies feel that they could avoid them and still sell vehicles.

But a good move by Honda 2 wheelers for sure.

Cheers,
S
sukhoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proposal: Government wants to make ABS & CBS on bikes compulsory from 2017 The Great Motorbikes 44 2nd December 2017 21:57
Two-wheelers will be allowed to carry cargo from April 2016 Aditya Motorbikes 9 5th December 2015 12:46
Government could make ABS compulsory for two-wheelers Aditya Motorbikes 38 22nd December 2014 09:27
Should bikes have front / rear brakes activated together (CBS - Combined Braking Sys) muni Motorbikes 38 22nd March 2009 15:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks