Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 21st February 2016, 20:46   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Alright katoomers, here's more dope on the 800 twin and man this thing is gonna smoke everything in its path!

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...spy-shots.html

India plans!

And yes everyone's expecting an adventure version too.

And a 500 parallel twin... Very excited!

I am not waiting for these bikes though. I will get the 2016 390 and wait out for the first model year of any of these bikes to wash over before wringing out my cash register.
Same thoughts here. Want to replace my version 1.0 R15. Was about to book Duke 390 (after testing the Benelli 300 as well). However news of 2017 390 Duke stopped me mid way. But wonder if it will even hit shops even in the first quarter of 2017.
Sid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 21:35   #32
BHPian

Default Re: KTM's current bikes to be replaced by all-new range in 2017

Is it just me or the headlights are exactly like the 690's? Imho, they don't look good at all! So weird and ugly! The 200 and 390's overall design is way better! Hope they don't change the design too much next year.

Last edited by emperorofindia : 21st February 2016 at 21:37.
emperorofindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 22:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid13 View Post
Same thoughts here. Want to replace my version 1.0 R15. Was about to book Duke 390 (after testing the Benelli 300 as well). However news of 2017 390 Duke stopped me mid way. But wonder if it will even hit shops even in the first quarter of 2017.
Now there are two ways to look at this.

View 1. Since you already have a motorbike, I recommend you hold on and wait until next year because there's a whole new line up being released. Stand in line outside your local stealership, pay everything upfront, and wait for their gymnastics extravaganza I before you get your bike. Nah, can't be as bad as what the versys boys are going through.

View 2. Never buy any motorbike in its first model year. The 2016 duke should be the most refined of this particular model, and should make for the best buy in this lineup. So get this model year 390, ride it for the next 3 years. Wait out for 2 model years of the new line up to go by and then either upgrade laterally, which I doubt, or buy into the higher capacity twins which should make their way here by then. However, in this case, though you will be riding an older model within a year of buying it, there should be far less gremlins that the boffins at the stealerships can get their brains around.

But there's a bit of gossip going around that the 2017 models could come with ride by wire and as a result traction control. Maybe switchable maps? With ktm, you never know.

Me on the other hand don't have a bike in place, so it's the first thing I will be doing when I am back along with a full set of gear. Plus, I don't have the policy of borrowing to buy, so we'll need some time to put together the pesos to bring a new girl in.

Could the mods please delete the previous post, was incomplete.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 22:56   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Now there are two ways to look at this.

View 2. Never buy any motorbike in its first model year. The 2016 duke should be the most refined of this particular model, and should make for the best buy in this lineup. So get this model year 390, ride it for the next 3 years. Wait out for 2 model years of the new line up to go by and then either upgrade laterally, which I doubt, or buy into the higher capacity twins which should make their way here by then. However, in this case, though you will be riding an older model within a year of buying it, there should be far less gremlins that the boffins at the stealerships can get their brains around.

But there's a bit of gossip going around that the 2017 models could come with ride by wire and as a result traction control. Maybe switchable maps? With ktm, you never know...

My view is slightly varied

From based on reasonably reliable sources in net what is clear the new version will have same engine, gearbox, platform etc. The change is majorly aimed at meeting emission norms in European markets. Ride by wire could be true as it helps emission control in whatever minor ways possible. Point is, I don't foresee any of new model issues bugging next version of 390 as it is not going through any major changes. Rather I see it to be a most refined version with all positives of current version plus ride by wire and may be minus the too much lean throttle issue at lower speeds of current model.
Sid13 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 07:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid13 View Post
My view is slightly varied

From based on reasonably reliable sources in net what is clear the new version will have same engine, gearbox, platform etc. The change is majorly aimed at meeting emission norms in European markets.
This I agree with. I expect a minor update on power figures, since it's KTM.

Like I said, since you already have a bike, keep her until mid next year which is when we should start seeing these kids on the shop floor.

In other news, the 800 twin is expected to make close to 100hp... yowzers!
Old 22nd February 2016, 07:57   #36
BHPian

Quote:
This I agree with. I expect a minor update on power figures, since it's KTM.

In other news, the 800 twin is expected to make close to 100hp... yowzers!
While 100bhp is very tempting, question is do I really need that. My bike would never see track in its life. It would be an occasional commuter plus medium distance tourer. Spending to buy and maintain for lot of unused reserve power may not make sense. I believe this is exactly reason why below 500cc market is growing faster than other market classes even in developed countries.
Old 22nd February 2016, 08:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

KTM's only biggest attraction in the 390 is price. Lets be very clear had KTM priced it at its international market the KTM 390 street would have been around 3L. At that price point the R3 or the Ninja 300 would have sold more.The problem with newer bigger engines is there is no guarantee that they are going to be manufactured here in India including parts and even if that happens there is no guarantee that they are going to offer at the same cost difference as KTM 390.

Cost of KTM 390 in US markets - 4999 USD - Roughly translates ($ Conversion) to 3.25L. Approximately 40% mark up in US markets.In a similar estimate a 800 cc goes anywhere between 10-14K USD. Direct conversion - approximately 7L atleast. If this is sold even at 7L its a steal. But i am not really betting on this. Even with a 25-30% mark up thats around 9L.

Why - Versys 650 are like 8K USD - Roughly 5.2L. A 25% mark up is what is sold in India which is around 6.5L ex showroom.

My guess is the 800 will be anywhere between 8L to 10L Ex show room. They may get a mass market product like a 500 Twin at 5L churning out 65-75 BHP. And if that power is achieved similar to a super duke i will beg and give all the cash to buy that bike.

Why?
Quote:
KTM claims, is an output of 177 hp at 8870 rpm. Torque, meanwhile, is claimed to peak at 106 ft-lb., with an ample 74 ft-lb. available at just 2500 rpm
We are talking about Torque in hand at less than 3000 RPM on a high RPM engine. Freaked now!!!!!!!!!
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 09:50   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Cost of KTM 390 in US markets - 4999 USD - Roughly translates ($ Conversion) to 3.25L. Approximately 40% mark up in US markets.In a similar estimate a 800 cc goes anywhere between 10-14K USD. Direct conversion - approximately 7L atleast. If this is sold even at 7L its a steal. But i am not really betting on this. Even with a 25-30% mark up thats around 9L.
This calculation seems a bit off mate.

By your calculation US prices are higher than India for the 390, but you expect India prices to be higher for the 800 than in the US?

If we go by the same pricing strategy that has been followed so far, I feel this new model will definitely undercut a lot of the entry level SBKs by a good margin (Around 6-6.5 ex showroom??). Provided Bajaj decides to offer this in the Indian market of course!
asivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By your calculation US prices are higher than India for the 390, but you expect India prices to be higher for the 800 than in the US?
You didnt read it completely.

Quote:
The problem with newer bigger engines is there is no guarantee that they are going to be manufactured here in India including parts and even if that happens there is no guarantee that they are going to offer at the same cost difference as KTM 390
If they are not going to pass on the local benefit i am just roughly calculating the price to be around that numbers.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 12:15   #40
BHPian

Let's face it. KTM won't have hit India market this early if they didn't see India as one of their global manufacturing hub. That means KTM will not sell a bike in India which is not manufactured here. Price point is their major advantage and marketing point. Without that advantage doesn't make sense to even attempt. So not much point speculating prices thinking a model would be introduced here which doesn't carry local production advantage
Old 22nd February 2016, 13:53   #41
BHPian

KTM's CEO Stefan Pierer has said that they didn't launch 690 because they will be launching the twin cylinder Duke 790 developed in collaboration with Bajaj which means it will be manufactured in India. And since it's KTM, I'm sure they'll surprise us with the pricing!

Source : Motorbeam, Zigwheels

Tough days ahead for Benelli 600i (which is an awesome bike in its own right bought down only because of it's weight!!).

Last edited by emperorofindia : 22nd February 2016 at 13:54.
emperorofindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 14:49   #42
BHPian

IMO for Indian conditions and riders a 50NM/50BHP bike is good enough for most rides. This is very near the Honda CB500 models and should be the range for the Duke 500. With KTM/Bajaj model, the pricing can be around 4 - 4.5 lakh. There is a huge dearth of options at that price.
timuseravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 15:18   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
IMO for Indian conditions and riders a 50NM/50BHP bike is good enough for most rides. This is very near the Honda CB500 models and should be the range for the Duke 500. With KTM/Bajaj model, the pricing can be around 4 - 4.5 lakh. There is a huge dearth of options at that price.
Makes sense. However KTM can't make plans around India. Price range looks very apt
Old 27th March 2016, 20:35   #44
BHPian

I'll just leave this here...https://rideapart.com/articles/ktm-3...-testing-india
Kameshwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 21:07   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
Old news. 2015 stuff. The word out on the streets is that the huskys were imported in the guise of adventures because those are going to be manufactured in India for exports.

The adventure is certainly under development though... I read a note on advrider about an inmate who made a trip to the KTM factory and when he passed the research wing had the doors shut on him... Because they were working on an all new adventure bike. Ofcourse we don't know if it's the 800 or the 390 version. Our even the 500 twin but that's been certified a still born by one of the international mags who have been on this story.

At the end of the himalayan review by power drift, there's a small snitch about something in the works from the orange camp.

That's all we have. The adv certainly has to be on an all new chassis which will be different from the street bikes. To that extent this will be a completely new model range barring the engine ofcourse... Which will also be retuned for dual purpose use. Unless they go Enduro.

Last edited by Red Liner : 27th March 2016 at 21:09.