Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 26th January 2016, 13:29   #1
BHPian

Default Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat

I started penning this ownership log well after a month of getting my first motorcycle; a much agonized over process which took over a year and helped along by many input from my family and fellow bhpians, via http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-rc-200-a.html (Yamaha R15 V2 vs KTM RC 200). While contemplating the ownership review, I could not figure out a dramatic enough theme which would make it a worthwhile read: after all, what is left for me to cover about a bike which has been around for almost a decade and has so much written about it by fans and pundits alike that you feel you already know it inside out even before you have ridden it. I could just dwell on the reintroduction of the single seat (which I will) and trigger some sniggers about how apt this feature is, to figure in the decision making process of someone in the wrong end of thirties buying his first motorcycle! Then it struck me: how many folks, after going full throttle through the chicanes of their twenties, upshifting after the corner exit of their thirties and attaining cruising speed at the long straights of middle age, would want to subject their joints to the torture inducing, aggressive seating position of a sportsbike?

I should have been discouraged by the raised eyebrows and the badly disguised sniggers. Some (well meant) suggestions were made to consider the T Bird, Avengers et al (all fantastic bikes in their own right) When life is at the cusp of passing by your childhood fantasies of burning rubber and lean angles, it becomes somewhat easier to ignore the hesitation lurking in your mind. I wanted a motorcycle which gave me a taste of what a track bred race DNA machine is all about. An experience that rekindles the love of taking a vehicle out and hitting the open roads, destination be damned. A background of my riding experience is mandatory here: Lots of miles clocked on the wife’s Activa! I am a keen driver and has clocked many thousands of kilometres on cars ranging from the family Amby which I cut my teeth on, to the trusted and eager K10 which I have taken across Lunar surfaces to places like the Kanha National Park from Bangalore, to the Zoom Bimmers. My late romance with two wheelers was sparked by the gearless scooter which made me consider the possibilities of combining my passion for drives/rides with the freedom and sense of rebellion that two wheels provide. One thing led to another and I flirted with borrowed Pulsars and FZs to the fateful day last year in Goa where I rented a Bullet Electra, rode from Palolem to Aguada with the missus as pillion and had my first spill on our way back while braking hard on the gravelly entry to a fuel pump. Bad mistake! Luckily, the wife had only a few scratches while my left knee and elbow peeled nastily. The wounds took over a month to go away, fortunately my resolve of getting a motorcycle didn’t.

Options considered

The KTM 200 & 390 twins – Insanity personified

Obvious isn’t it? Novice rider, upright riding position, frantic acceleration for those quick adrenalin fixes and all the fancy tech bits which I wanted. The test rides at the KTM showroom in Indiranagar confirmed my suspicions: this was a bike which did to our market in 2012 what Yamaha had done in 2008, and some more. It is so easy to ride that its ridiculous! I found the 390 test ride vehicle to have a coarse engine, which I don’t know if characteristic of the 390 or the result of an abused test ride vehicle but the acceleration did things to a part of your anatomy which is usually experienced indoors  The stopping power was incredible, courtesy the steel braided brake lines and the phenomenal Metzeler sticky tires coupled with ABS perhaps makes it the most VFM option at the price range it sits in. Since I was on a budget, I considered the smaller sibling and found the motor to be more refined in the 200. It made a compelling case with the only concern being wind blasts – it being a naked bike – on the highway which I knew my ride would spend the lions share of its time on.

The mandatory cruiser option TBTS 350

Cruisers stood only an outside chance even though they made the most sense: highway rides, upright riding position and comfortable pillion seat for the wife to come along now and then. At the risk of raising a few hackles, I am not enamored by Royal Enfield bikes even though am impressed with what Eicher has done to the brand in recent times and the impact that I see on the riding culture, especially here in Bangalore. In my opinion, they charge a premium for what they offer (one can argue there is more metal per bhp in RE bikes than their street/sports counterparts) and their QC department still has some catching up to do. Rear drums and tubed tyres, especially the latter, is just unacceptable at this price point. They have oodles of road presence though which made me take a second glance as in my book, it ups the safety quotient by increasing your visibility on the road. Importantly, all that torque crammed at the low end and the tall gearing makes life easier on the highways. Now from what I understand, the TB is not considered as a classic RE (purists can clarify more) but addresses many of my gripes i.e. disc brakes in addition to projector headlamps with perhaps the best ergos of all the models in the RE stable. The RE showroom at Indiranagar appeared less than interested:- for potential TB customers at least as the test ride bike looked like it could fall apart any minute apart from vibrating like an octagenarian’s dentures on steroids. I wasn’t even asked by the staff if I was interested in putting my money where my mouth was, perhaps their sales pipeline was already overflowing, maybe I didn’t look like a serious cruiser shopper, turned out as I was in a pair of bermudas.

The baby Ceeber (CBR 250)

Back in the day when I knew very little about motorcycles, I knew about the CBR 250: because it sported the Honda badge. That and bhpian Argee’s thread on his CBR should have seen this VFR replica safely through to my apartment parking lot. Enough power on tap to accommodate my skills which could grow gradually and in relative safety, the legendary motor which would only be taken down by an anti aircraft missile, the suspension which was tailor made for cruising and finally the ABS option, which gives a shot in the arm to the confidence of a new rider. I could not get a test ride (in breach of my defence, didn’t try hard to get one) to test the negatives that I read about, namely spongy brakes and the Contigo tires which are less than grippy. The price of the ABS version threatened to stretch my already taut budget and getting the ABS less option punched holes on my arguments on safety. I noted with some disappointment that the ceeber also met my preference for a fairing. Such is life.

Pulsar NS/AS 200

The NS 200 has sadly been discontinued or else it would have been a real contender, closer than the Duke 200 was. After all, by which vein of logic can you ignore an extra 6 horses and 3 elephants (read torque) at two thirds of the price? And that’s not all :- you get a pressed steel perimeter frame (in other words another twin spar frame of which the R15’s Deltabox is an example), petal discs and a menacing look conjured with the help of BMW Motorrad. I was even willing to overlook that it was carbureted and not FI. Why not the AS 200 you ask? Three answers in increasing order of importance below

1) Didn’t like the quarter fairing, would prefer the full or none at all, in that order

2) From what I read, it came shod with TVS tires and those don’t come anywhere close to the MRF Revz in terms of grip, and that is important, not least for safety.

3) I still went to Khivraj Indiranagar looking for a test ride, after all I could swap the Euroslips er..grips with MRF, couldn’t I? This is how the conversation went:

Hopeful prospective buyer (HPB) - ‘Can I have a test ride of the AS 200?’

Bored Service advisor (BSA) - ‘Sir please wait, I will come back to you’ (waves away HPB without looking up from a sheaf of paper being fiddled with)

HPB shuffles his feet after having checked out the RS 200 and its Transformertine face - if only they could make it more palatable…anyways. After about 10 minutes and convincing himself that the showroom staff are seeing right through him, HPB approach BSA timidly.

HPB - ‘Er, do you think I could have that test ride?’

BSA - ‘Oh, sorry Sir, no test ride vehicles available, please check back next week’

HPB wonders if he was speaking Dutch the first time he asked. BSA goes back to shuffling papers, flipping job cards or adjusting his family jewels.

And that was that.

Options which existed in my fantasy – The baby Ninja, Benelli 300, the R3 which had just come out, Truimph Day…ok enough!

Some things in life are just meant to be, the inevitability of which is delayed only by the penchant of the human mind to complicate things when they should be obvious. The process that I followed over 12 months to the day I parted with my moolah for the R15 was a perfect example.

I, like most on this forum, like to think of myself as an auto enthusiast forever looking to chat, read, eat and drink automobiles. And I, like many of my ilk do not care for a please all approach that many of our automakers have which now and then end up delivering a vehicle which handles like a sofa on wheels. So when I read about how the R15 comes equipped with the race bred twin spar Deltabox chassis, my curiosity was piqued. In an industry where manufacturers have always looked to cater to mass market taste, I wonder what made Yamaha launch a product with one aim only :- to carve corners on racetracks; a pioneering effort for its time in 2008 with no precedence. I am no expert on the motorcycle industry but I believe it created a new segment (that of track focused bikes) which in the last couple of years have matured to an extent that it now almost makes redundant the very product which helped create it. The super rigid chassis, sticky tires, a fairing which has a purpose other than covering the unmentionables, an all aluminum super light swingarm (introduced in V2 and carried over to the S) and a motor whose tuning is so track biased that you trundle along in a commuterish manner at sub 5k RPM levels. This little dynamite is a study in technical finesse, so much so that most of it is unknown to the average buyer! It was an eye opener to read a review of the R15 by fellow TBHPian Sriram Iyer http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3805835 (Yamaha YZF-R15 S launched at Rs. 1.15 lakh)

Phew!

But I digress, and the decision was more or less made as I knew the dealer of Bangalore wheels and hence got a test ride (not sure if TR of R15 are given freely) and a less than intimidating dealership experience which otherwise could be the case while buying your first motorcycle, or car for that matter. I was bowled over by the balance of the bike even while crawling and even I, with my limited biking experience could tell that. All my research was indicating that the R15 would be the perfect bike for me to start off. The balance, predictable handling, potent braking and linear power delivery would help me safely augment my skills and also help me in discovering how deep my love ran for touring on 2 wheels.

So my good friends, it was a fait accompli when it came down to the final decision. The Duke 200 is as good in the handling department with more power and perhaps a shade better in the braking department. In my book its evens stevens in the touring department – The Duke has relaxed ergos but the R15 has the fairing. Coming to the equipment, the Trellis frame is a worthy adversary to the Deltabox and of course the MID of the Duke can keep reeling off data till the cows come home while the R15’s console feels dated (I somehow like the analogue tacho). The fact that the price of the Dukes have been increasing has gone almost unnoticed and why not, for a product which is flying off the shelves. At 1.6x lakhs OTR, it was a clear 30 grands above the R15 and would have clinched it for me if ABS came as an option. Also, somehow my heart said Yamaha, no wonder then that it revs your heart

The delivery experience was smooth, they had the machine readily available in my choice of color i.e. Track Blue. I also opted for the extended warranty for 3 years for Rs 777. Not sure how useful that would be in case I am able to identify a good independent workshop after the standard warranty is over. With the cash stumped up and a PDI checklist put together from scouring, where else, the ownership reviews here on TBHP, I was ready to bring the little beauty home!

Filled 5 litres of Speed from the nearest BP bunk and off I went on the long (and painful ride in Saturday afternoon traffic) ride back to Indiranagar. Felt good at all the attention I got on my way back (yes, the R15 still turns heads!) while I nursed her through the traffic. While stationary at a signal, I kept hearing a mechanical hum and turned around to see which car around me had its fan running. It was then I realized that my crotch rocket, with its own tiny fan and liquid cooling was making the whirring noise!

Initial impression

There is a lack of power at low revs and the throttle is a tad snatchy while negotiating the machine in 1st in heavy traffic, hopefully the low end improves after the first few services are done. As has been often repeated, the chassis could handle more power notwithstanding the 150cc gem which punches above its waist. But I knew that and I bought it for its delicious handling, for in that department it still seems to lead the pack; you just instinctively feel that the machine with Deltabox stickered on the seat cowls is eager to tip on either side at your every whim, itching to sniff the tarmac but not kiss it! It’s a very ‘friendly’ machine which would allow me to make mistakes and still not make me pay with bruises to show for it. The braking inspires confidence with the front loading up nicely because of the front biased weight distribution; you feel that the front tires almost dig into the tarmac when you drop anchor. Even after all these years, it still is a looker with its near perfect fit and finish and looks big for what is still a 150cc machine. It looks built to last and the faux carbon fibre finish on the plastic in the midsection area (don’t know what you call them) lends a classy touch.

Last but not the least, the single seat! Much has been written about the R6 inspired rear seat and tail section and how if you still love your wife/girlfriend, you should use a safety rope lest she flies away. At this point, I thank the wife whose encouragement (and irritation at the fag end when I kept dithering between options) was instrumental in getting me on two wheels and the single seat is my way of saying I am a dutiful husband who would love to have her ride pillion. The rear seat of the V2 is best left not kissing bum, arrive alone and all that!

I clocked 900 + kms within a week and off she went for her first service. The damage was Rs 780 including a litre of the Yamalube mineral oil which was around Rs 320. Planning to change to fully synthetic from the third service onwards.

The mandatory pics

Love at first sight

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20151216_16_09_11_pro.jpg

I should tell my daughter it makes a puny 17 bhp!

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20151219_14_44_22_pro.jpg

Her first time on open roads - Kolar CCD

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20151225_07_10_04_pro.jpg

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20151226_09_10_49_pro.jpg

The miles quickly piled on

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20151226_09_52_31_pro.jpg

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160102_09_24_58_pro.jpg

At Anchetty

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160102_11_33_35_pro.jpg

Tail light assembly has been carried over the V1

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-dsc03347.jpg

Liquid cooled AND 4 valves...yaay

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-dsc03349.jpg

Love the blue on white

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-dsc03351.jpg

The fabled single seat, things still aren't hunky dory for the pillion though, the seating is still quite high

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-dsc03357.jpg

THE Deltabox

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-dsc03358.jpg

Disc brakes by Nissin, drops anchors at your command

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-dsc03360.jpg

The ol' tuning fork

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-dsc03362.jpg

Looks pretty big in flesh

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-dsc03364.jpg

MRF sticky ones - holds the tarmac like a leech

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-dsc03366.jpg

Love the chunky matte black exhaust

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-dsc03368.jpg

The faux carbon fible finish is fab

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-dsc03370.jpg

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-dsc03371.jpg

The instrument console looks built to last

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-dsc03377.jpg

Aux lamps

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-dsc03379.jpg

The sharp headlamp assembly makes it look like a bird of prey if you ask me!

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-dsc03381.jpg

With my safety gear ensemble - next up, knee guards

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160110_08_19_26_pro.jpg

Didn't come out half as what was intended...for me that is!

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-12377880_1027226807297393_1910296070616083924_o.jpg

Doing what it does best, attacking corners like a hawk

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-img20160125wa0007.jpg

Gear up and ride safe
hothatchaway is offline   (17) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 14:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat

Congrats on the bike mate! Good review and pictures. Wish you many many miles on the bike! With regards to low end torque, the V2 (which your bike is based upon i believe) has a tad better low end compared to the V1 . Once you run-in period is completed, you can stay at higher rpm in lower gears to ensure you dont feel the lack of low end torque.
abhinav.s is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 13:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat

Thanks for quite an entertaining read mate. The R15 is a legend in its own right and it created a niche in an otherwise ordinary segment. Congratulations!

Quote:
Hopeful prospective buyer (HPB) - ‘Can I have a test ride of the AS 200?’

Bored Service advisor (BSA) - ‘Sir please wait, I will come back to you’ (waves away HPB without looking up from a sheaf of paper being fiddled with)

HPB shuffles his feet after having checked out the RS 200 and its Transformertine face - if only they could make it more palatable…anyways. After about 10 minutes and convincing himself that the showroom staff are seeing right through him, HPB approach BSA timidly.

HPB - ‘Er, do you think I could have that test ride?’

BSA - ‘Oh, sorry Sir, no test ride vehicles available, please check back next week’

HPB wonders if he was speaking Dutch the first time he asked. BSA goes back to shuffling papers, flipping job cards or adjusting his family jewels.
This part was hilarious. If only salespersons understood how little it takes to drive away a prospect.
Tushar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 18:14   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat

To my eyes, this is a darling of a bike and the best place for a new rider to start at. Zero frills. Looks the part. Eats corners. Cruises along. Terrific braking. Great tyres !
Love her well and she will provide you with unadulterated fun for a long long time to come !!! Ride Hard and Ride Safe !

I used to ride the 2008 one from the first lot that ended up in our shores and the only negative was its headlight.

P.S. Keep her over the 4k RPM mark all the time after the run in. Feed her good stuff. And enjoy the fun of red line !

Last edited by Sojogator : 27th January 2016 at 18:15.
Sojogator is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 09:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Congrats on the bike mate! Good review and pictures. Wish you many many miles on the bike! With regards to low end torque, the V2 (which your bike is based upon i believe) has a tad better low end compared to the V1 . Once you run-in period is completed, you can stay at higher rpm in lower gears to ensure you dont feel the lack of low end torque.
Thanks; Yes the low end has gotten considerably better after the first service and all reviews indicate its better than the V1, (the S is mechanically identical to the V2) I also slip the clutch slightly in 1st and sometimes in 2nd when speeds dip almost to 1st gear levels - take care never to lug the engine though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Congratulations!

This part was hilarious. If only salespersons understood how little it takes to drive away a prospect.
Thanks; the staff at Khivraj gave the distinct impression they were not interested in selling, too bad for them I guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
To my eyes, this is a darling of a bike and the best place for a new rider to start at. Zero frills. Looks the part. Eats corners. Cruises along. Terrific braking. Great tyres !
Love her well and she will provide you with unadulterated fun for a long long time to come !!! Ride Hard and Ride Safe !

I used to ride the 2008 one from the first lot that ended up in our shores and the only negative was its headlight.

P.S. Keep her over the 4k RPM mark all the time after the run in. Feed her good stuff. And enjoy the fun of red line !
Thanks Sojo; its got quite a jekyll and hyde character especially north of 5K RPMs. The best part is its linear power delivery, no nasty surprises.
hothatchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 20:10   #6
BHPian

Its been a little over two months which has already seen me clock 3500+ kms on this little beauty. Saw the 2nd service milestone by with some minor jitters; the oil was changed but the filter wasn't Thanks to my compulsive nature of not leaving either my car or the bike behind at the ASC, took a neat little diving catch of the missing line item of the oil filter on the bill and got that replaced. As the engine puts in more miles the gearshift is a revelation; makes up to a great extent for the lack of outright punch as it slickly keeps shifting up with nary a complaint.

Must say that its quite a package, more so for someone like me who has traded in the safety and comfort of a car (for weekend morning rides anyways!) for the adrenaline rush of two wheels. While it lacks the outright punch of the duke twins (and sadly the ABS of the elder D sibling), the linear power delivery ensures that you have enough margin for error as you commit numerous errors including running too hot into corners. I lose count of moments when the bike has forgiven me for noob errors made and has made me look better on the saddle than I really am. The benchmark build quality and vibe free ride even when one is close to redlining oozes engineering precision. While most fall for the fact that it still looks like a million bucks, its cutting edge precision will make you feel like a pro, leaving the rest of the pack looking like amateurs

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160220_09_19_12_pro.jpg

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160214_08_58_28_pro.jpg
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2016, 16:47   #7
BHPian

Hi.. Congrats on your purchase.
Can you please tell the onroad price and the FE of this bike when ridden in the range 80-90 kmph.
deemash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2016, 20:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
Hi.. Congrats on your purchase.
Can you please tell the onroad price and the FE of this bike when ridden in the range 80-90 kmph.
Thanks

It was 1.37l onroad and IIRC it also included zero dep insurance. You can get around 45+ on this baby if you ride that sane

BTW she can do 100-110 all day long on highways without breaking a sweat. 130+ (speedo indicated) is possible if one crouches and is not generously proportioned. Not that such scandalous speeds are recommended.

Do check out how the ergos suit you though, I experienced regular soreness in my wrists, shoulder and lower back but have settled down well and the pain is now a thing of the past, may not be the case with everyone.

Otherwise she is a gem, sublime handling, precise braking and the featherweight 150cc mill can surprise you with its agility
Old 21st May 2016, 00:28   #9
BHPian

Congratulations for the lovely bike!!

I have such deep respect for this motorcycle that I cannot put it in words. Have seen it do all from attacking corners like none other to taking offroad with ease. Shivanshu (now on Tbhp) has clocked nearly 1 lakh 10K Kms on it and the bike is still going.

The S model makes it so much more practical for everyday use than V2 which many people in this segment is looking for.

Wish you many happy miles with it.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 12:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Congratulations for the lovely bike!!

I have such deep respect for this motorcycle that I cannot put it in words. Have seen it do all from attacking corners like none other to taking offroad with ease. Shivanshu (now on Tbhp) has clocked nearly 1 lakh 10K Kms on it and the bike is still going.

The S model makes it so much more practical for everyday use than V2 which many people in this segment is looking for.

Wish you many happy miles with it.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Thanks Rachit, corner carving is its calling card and have been able to keep pace with the Duke 200s of the world on highways (fairing) and the twisties. Great bike which inspires confidence among new riders to ride hard.

The little gem passed the 7k mark in less than 6 months yesterday. My biking buddies from TBHP headed towards wayanad for an overnighter, I sat out as I had to be home for the evening. Decided on a whim to do a long solo ride on Saturday. Had been to Coorg many times but never tried alternatives to the dreaded Mysore road. And so it was via NH 48 upto Channarayanapatna and then SH 8 to Holenarsipura - Arkalgud - Shanivarsanthe - Somwarpet. Left at 430 AM and was at Somwarpet at 930 AM. Decided against going on till Madikeri for a Pandhi curry lunch and headed back to Bangalore. Was back home by 4 PM

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160521_05_44_09_pro.jpg

Hitting the tarmac on NH48

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160521_06_49_49_pro.jpg

In the woods of Coorg

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160521_09_59_35_pro.jpg

SH 8 - No bad stretches anywhere

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160521_11_33_57_pro.jpg

Cooling off at the dhaba

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160521_13_03_06_pro.jpg
hothatchaway is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 10:30   #11
BHPian

The white and blue combo looks handsome. I already own a GS150R. It has run just 40k in 1.5 years and now seems like the piston and cylinder is weak and it has started drinking engine oil.
So keeping a tab on the engine oil to avoid piston locking. I do not like the Suzuki service.
No road-side mechanic touches this bike.

Actually, I am planning to sell that and I have eyes set on bikes between 150cc - 200cc. I run 90-100 kms daily (up n down) which is a mix of 25 km highway and 20 city. How is the service of the Yamaha's ?

Last edited by deemash : 23rd May 2016 at 10:31.
deemash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2016, 21:02   #12
BHPian

Time for an update as the R nears the 10k mark within 8 months of ownership. Completed the fourth free service just days before my longest solo trip so far, a frenetic run from Bangalore to Goa. I have been sticking to the the manual recommended 20W40 mineral option; the ultra short 70day-3k service interval does not justify a fully synthetic option, at least not during the warranty period anyway when I have to stick to the schedule. The motor revvs freely as one would expect it to but I feel it would let off a much smoother note as and when I switch to FS. Apart from that, its all slick shifting-2 finger hard braking-sublime cornering from this pint sized gem

Coming back to the solo trip, wanted to ride to somewhere far and hard to celebrate my birthday and it wasn't tough for Goa to make it to the top of the list and clinch the destination of choice. Was thinking of eschewing the tried and tested Hubli - ankila - karwar option into Canacona (south goa it was) in favour of the tempting twisties of Anmod or Chorla. Rains on the way and my eventual fatigue nudged me towards the usual route. It was a hard draining 600 km ride ending in Talpona, a nondescript fishing village in south Goa with Palolem still 20 kms to go. It was absolutely pouring when I hit Karwar and rode in blinding rain all the way to my destination. That would pretty much set the tone for the next two days when the skies remained open with yours truly riding back on the third day with memories of a dreamy early morning ride on the curvy and blemishless roads of south Goa through a light drizzle to be firmly etched in my memories. A 1200 + kms solo ride in 3 days on a motorcycle not known for its comfort and no complaints from various nooks and crevasses of my body; priceless!

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160717_07_42_04_pro.jpg

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160717_14_19_16_pro.jpg

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160717_16_45_47_pro.jpg

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160717_17_15_17_pro.jpg

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160717_17_15_29_pro.jpg

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160717_17_39_04_pro.jpg

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160717_18_21_05_pro.jpg

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160718_07_22_22_pro.jpg

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160718_08_09_41_pro.jpg

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20160719_07_30_23_pro.jpg
hothatchaway is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 23:24   #13
BHPian

It has been a while since I updated this thread and a lot has happened in the interim. A tentatively thought of but fiercely aspired for mega solo ride from Bangalore to Spiti valley happened in end September of 2016 which saw me cover more than 3,500 kms across the breadth of the nation with my white pocket rocket not missing a single beat, not even a single flat on the lunar surface of Spiti! - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ti-valley.html (Where eagles dare, along with the 30 something biker - Solo ride from Bangalore to Spiti Valley)

The trip saw me struck down by a bad case of altitude sickness and I had to leave the bike up in Kaza. It took me a couple of months to orchestrate its return home to me in Bangalore and not a day passed without anxiety. Finally she was back with me in the first week of January with the odo at 14,300 kms in about a year of ownership (excuse the dusty pics, could not wait to take them the moment she was offloaded from the truck back in Bangalore)

Took her to the last free service immediately the day after as time was running out. All she needed was an oil change and some good spit and polish. Brake pads still look good until the next service and tyres still going pretty strong!

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20170111_13_34_48_pro.jpg

Flies like a butterfly, stings like a bee! My Yamaha R15S, now with a single seat-wp_20170111_13_35_50_pro.jpg
Old 27th January 2017, 00:03   #14
BHPian

It's been a while! Anyway, it's great that you've got your steed back and a quick wash and service will do it wonders.

Hoping to see you on the weekend ride circuit soon Supra!
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote