Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 27th January 2016, 19:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Bajaj V - A motorcycle made with INS Vikrant's steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs2mayank View Post

Bajaj already gave us an affordable tourer (read Avenger) long time back. I hope this new offering from Bajaj will enable masses to buy an affordable cafe racer as well.
It's not a cafe racer.

Its a 150cc commuter bike made from Bajaj's existing parts bin. They only novelty factor here will be what the motorcycle will end up looking like.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 04:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Good marketing from Bajaj to stoke the patriotism thing. But come on Bajaj, this should have been just a line item on the launch announcement. Everything that we buy from pin to plane is from reprocessed metal. Nothing big in this. Focus on the bike build.

And don't forget, INS Vikrant original was British build.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 09:27   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Really? Here's what the government deemed a fit tribute:
"At the end of January 2014, Vikrant was sold through an online auction to a Darukhana ship-breaker for Rs.60 crores (Indian Express-21-Nov-2014: http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...ikrant-begins/ )

Isnt this a better, known, memory, rathen than being an unrecognizable, unacknowledged bit in a rail coach, or bridge, or a utensil?
I don't see how a private company using scrap steel from INS Vikrant to promote their own commercial interests is a tribute in any way or form. The advert campaign highlighting Vikrant will stop eventually and bike that will supposedly use the steel will be phased out in a few years.

What the citizens of India would like the government to do in this case and what vested interests in government ultimately did is the story of India. We only have ourselves (concerned citizens) to blame for not caring enough and for not doing enough.
Motard_Blr is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 11:17   #19
BHPian

The design looks promising. It is probably based on Boxer 150 which is sold in export markets.

As far as the INS Vikant connection is concered, I personally feel that it is a cheap tactic by Bajaj to make a few quick bucks in the name of patriotism.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." -Samuel Johnson
CarCynic is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 13:23   #20
BHPian

I would personally love to own a part of history _ yes the mighty Vikrant was originally British built et al - But I believe its just an integral part of our nation as much each one of us are. If not for anything else at the very least this is one way for us to preserve a piece of national pride in some form.

My question however is will bajaj actually send a part of the sale proceeds to the war veterans/war widows or any person as deemed fit by the forces? If they are selling it based on Vikrant (Which is the case), would they not be morally obliged to help out the armed forces/navy atleast in some way or the other ?

If they do this I am buying one - not cause I need it but because purely I love to have some part of Indian history and indirectly help the armed forces in some way or the other. Rest assured my 30 Month old will inherit this :-)

Srini
Srini76 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 13:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

The INS Vikrant angle is a very smart move. It will definitely be a strong factor from a marketing standpoint. Special edition Vespas come at a price premium for features like exclusive badges and colours, so I see no harm in providing a similarly 'special feeling' at the commuter bike level. The styling looks promising as well and I'm glad to see Bajaj getting focus back to a fast moving segment.

Just hope they ensure that the quality lives up to the strong name being used for promotions.
Tushar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 14:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

I personally don't like such emotional factors being used for commercial gains but everybody seem to do it.
Mahindra : Be Indian Buy Indian
Tata : Desh ka Namak
P&G and many others : Some contribution to Charity
New Entrant Bandhan Bank : Open a Bank account with some satisfaction of doing something for upliftment of poor.
IPL : We pay huge Service-tax, Employment and help Economy grow and hence have a birth right to do anything illegal possible under the sun.
Samsung ACs Ad showing a girl gifting AC to her mother while mentioning how her mother slept on wet bed to make sure the daughter sleeps properly. (Come on)
Surf Excel : Daag achchhe hain.

So it's quite a norm here as we Indians are an emotional lot.
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 14:51   #23
BHPian

Bajaj V bike or not, The aircraft carrier was destined to be broken down. In this age of recycle, reuse, isn't it good that the tons of steel is re-utilized instead of digging into the bowels of the planet?

Isn't "touching the emotions" a part of the meaning of marketing?

I only hope Bajaj does not falter in the bike package.
ashpalio is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 15:57   #24
BHPian

All cheap tactics by Bajaj I would say.

It would have been more patriotic if Bajaj had got this ship at the auction or from the ship breaking company and converted it into a war museum (of course they can make money from this as well right?). Bajaj is a ₹216.14 billion company and I dont think ₹60 crores could have been big deal.

Also, converting into a museum would have helped lakhs of people(including me), who can't even think of getting near a warship, can actually get into one and feel it.

Bajaj, stop playing with people's sentiments/patriotism/emotions (whatever you wanna call it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
....This is like saying that I built a house using stones from a historic building but I crushed the stones and mixed them into the concrete!
Nicely put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
...say 15 years ahead, when the scooter will be discarded, or just "rusting in pieces", dogs peeing on it...
Very True lapis
T-Bone is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 17:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
All cheap tactics by Bajaj I would say.

It would have been more patriotic if Bajaj had got this ship at the auction or from the ship breaking company and converted it into a war museum (of course they can make money from this as well right?). Bajaj is a ₹216.14 billion company and I dont think ₹60 crores could have been big deal.

Also, converting into a museum would have helped lakhs of people(including me), who can't even think of getting near a warship, can actually get into one and feel it.

Bajaj, stop playing with people's sentiments/patriotism/emotions (whatever you wanna call it)

Nicely put.

Very True lapis

The government tried to convert it into a Musuem multiple times on PPP basis and tried to run multiple rounds of bidding, but never got successful. Key reasons:

1. Too many approvals & conditions required from a number of parties - navy / coast guard / municipal corporation, security clearances, restriction on discarding waste (oil, sewage) in the water, etc.

2. No suitable place to anchor it. No evacuation infra to take people to & from the ship (need a number of boats for this). Safety of visitors. Lots of conditions imposed by everyone on use.

3. From the musuem ticketing / F&B and all other revenues, they would not even have covered the administration cost of a ship. Believe me, maintaining a ship is VERY VERY expensive - everything is diesel fired, etc. etc.

4. To keep old ships floating require tremendous maintenance to the body (damaged by salty water). Even a normal boat / yatch needs to be 'dry docked' atleast once a year for maintenance.

5. In most other countries, such musuems are supported from city municipal corporation / state / country's finances for the normal upkeep & maintenance.

And of course, there would have been some PUBLIC INTEREST LITIGATION from someone saying National Pride is being used by Private party, etc. and there would be a stay order for dont know how long. Hence, I guess, the least difficult & potentially least controversial decision was taken to sell it to highest bidder for ship breaking.

Projects of these nature have very long payback periods, and sometimes, don't pay back at all & require additional money to be spent every year. No private party will do it without adequate incentives to make a reasonable profit / cost of capital.

For the bidder, he buys it at Rs. 60 cr., spends money on dis-assembling it and sells the metal for scrap - a quick turnaround of say 1-2 years.
aashishnb is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 17:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

My biggest grouse with Bajaj is on the choice of rumored 150 cc engine as the Moto's heart

When I think warships; I am thinking big, powerful, brawny in not just its appearance but also its capability

Does a 150 cc mill invoke any of those emotions ..... NO! At the very least they could have used the engine from the 200 NS to give the bike some grunt. So for me, its all show and no go ..... A sheep in wolf's clothing
Urban_Nomad is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 17:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

As someone whose grandfather served onboard the Vikrant-

I'm anguished to say the least. Publicity stunt. As a Publicity stunt, it is not just cheap, it is utterly cheap. I think ONLY the concept bike is ''made-of-the-INS-Vikrants-Steel''.

Warships are heavily armoured, and yes- the sheet metal in warships is NOT THAT thin, it is positively THICK.

We should have preserved her history. But instead, little bits of her are finding their way onto a mere 150cc commuter bike.

Sigh. When will people learn, NOT to insult such lovely ships, that once were, and will always be remembered as the nations pride.

Sad.
FINTAIL is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 18:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

In a country where lakhs of crores of public funding is gobbled up without batting an eyelid, the govt doesn't have enough money to maintain a national icon?

Then again, what part of our history is preserved with pride? Everything is either already in ruins or on its way there. All in a country that never fails to beat its collective chest about pride in its long and storied heritage at the slightest available opportunity. Slow

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th January 2016 at 18:12.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 21:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
The government tried to convert it into a Museum multiple times on PPP basis and tried to run multiple rounds of bidding, but never got successful. Key reasons:
This may not take us any where but still just want put across my point

Quote:
1. Too many approvals & conditions required from a number of parties - navy / coast guard / municipal corporation, security clearances, restriction on discarding waste (oil, sewage) in the water, etc.
I don't know about the approvals but when a normal ship breaker could lay his hands on a war ship why not a huge company ? More over, even a ship breaker needs to go through all the environmental and safety checks before he can start breaking it.

Quote:
2. No suitable place to anchor it. No evacuation infra to take people to & from the ship (need a number of boats for this). Safety of visitors. Lots of conditions imposed by everyone on use.
Why can't they dry dock the ship for ever ? Most of the above mentioned issues will be cleared. I'm sure govt can at least provide dry land near the shore. May be Bajaj can pay the land cost over a period of time from the revenue generated from the war ship museum.

Quote:
3. From the museum ticketing / F&B and all other revenues, they would not even have covered the administration cost of a ship. Believe me, maintaining a ship is VERY VERY expensive - everything is diesel fired, etc. etc.
Since a private party owns and runs the ship, its at the parties discretion on the fee/charges which can be calculated to cover all the expenses. The sheer number of people who visit could be good, enough to generate the money. More over once its dry docked everything can be run on electricity. Use diesel only when utility power is not available.

Quote:
4. To keep old ships floating require tremendous maintenance to the body (damaged by salty water). Even a normal boat / yatch needs to be 'dry docked' atleast once a year for maintenance.
Why can't they dry dock the ship for ever ? I'm sure govt can at least provide dry land near the shore. May be Bajaj can pay the land cost over a period of time from the revenue generated from the war ship museum.

Quote:
5. In most other countries, such museums are supported from city municipal corporation / state / country's finances for the normal upkeep & maintenance.

And of course, there would have been some PUBLIC INTEREST LITIGATION from someone saying National Pride is being used by Private party, etc. and there would be a stay order for don't know how long. Hence, I guess, the least difficult & potentially least controversial decision was taken to sell it to highest bidder for ship breaking.
Well, if it is used for good intentions (read, no parties or night outs on war ship) then I'm pretty sure no one would object. In fact people will be happy to have something like that where they can visit and take a peak at India's pride and history.

Quote:
Projects of these nature have very long payback periods, and sometimes, don't pay back at all & require additional money to be spent every year. No private party will do it without adequate incentives to make a reasonable profit / cost of capital.

For the bidder, he buys it at Rs. 60 cr., spends money on dis-assembling it and sells the metal for scrap - a quick turnaround of say 1-2 years.
I agree, but at least they could have given it a try ?!

At the end, it's still a cheap play
T-Bone is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 21:40   #30
BHPian

As the son of a sailor who served on board INS Vikrant I am pleased to learn that the mighty ship will live on in another form and will make a new generation familiar with this much loved ship. Those buying these new V bikes would not be old enough to remember Vikrant in her hey days of the 1960s and 1970s and this is a way for them to connect with an icon. I first visited INS Vikrant in 1969 and just gaping at her length was awe inspiring for me as a boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
I don't see how a private company using scrap steel from INS Vikrant to promote their own commercial interests is a tribute in any way or form.
Not sure why you emphasize the word 'private company' as if private companies cannot have a drop of national spirit. It is 50 years since Nehru died and 25 years since the license raj ended. It is time we outgrew this notion that private companies are in some way infra-dig. And what's wrong with commercial interests. It is commercial interests that drive investments in industry, create jobs and ensure productive use of scarce capital. Without commercial interests we end up with bottomless pits in the public sector like Air India, the State Electricity Boards etc which we the tax payers pay for.

INS Vikrant on a photo opex showing the 4 main types of aircrafts that flew from her decks over 33 years - from left to right - Sea Harriers, Sea Hawks, Sea Kings and Breguet Alizes. Photo circa 1984
Attached Thumbnails
The Bajaj V - A motorcycle made with INS Vikrant's steel-r11-all.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (26) Thanks Reply With Quote