Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 16th February 2016, 11:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Interview on Radio - Please suggest motorcycling topics, questions & answers!

If there is only one point that needs to be driven in, it is:

Dear 2 wheel rider/driver, please do not ride/drive on the road as if your life's responsibility lies with the other bigger vehicle drivers.
alpha1 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 12:25   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Interview on Radio - Suggest motorcycling questions, topics and answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
...speak on the topic of Safe Motorcycling & other various motorcycling intricacies.
Some tentative topics we both will be speaking on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
  • Defensive riding techniques
  • Some India specific riding dangers
  • What new skills and how much riding experience is needed as one moves up the motorcycle grades i.e. <200cc<400cc<600cc and beyond
  • Some resources on keeping up to date with riding skills and techniques
Congratulations on getting the opportunity to speak on the subject on air, and thank you, both of you, for doing your homework before speaking.

Some thoughts:
  • Learning to ride a motorcycle, or for that matter, a bicycle, is not the same as learning to ride safe. Please bring home this point strongly.
  • There is a vast difference between knowing traffic rules in theory, and actually following them appropriately, to remain safe within the paradigm of chaos that reigns on Indian roads.
  • There is an immense need for imparting structured training in riding / driving safe, and the government needs to address this aggressively, before the numbers of road fatalities start dropping. It is a fallacy to imagine that 4 hours of training will produce a safe rider on any 2-wheeler, from mopeds to superbikes.
Interview on Radio - Please suggest motorcycling topics, questions & answers!-4hours.jpg

Wishing both of you all the best, and looking forward to listening to you.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 12:36   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Interview on Radio - Please suggest motorcycling topics, questions & answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

Dear 2 wheel rider/driver, please do not ride/drive on the road as if your life's responsibility lies with the other bigger vehicle drivers.
This reminds me. Make an appeal, a pleading one, to all those cage drivers to not use their phones while driving and signal well before turning. A simple graze is a scratch on a cage and perhaps a death on two wheels.
Sojogator is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 12:52   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Interview on Radio - Please suggest motorcycling topics, questions & answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchahal View Post
This way we can show our knowledge but a country where bikes with less than 100cc are still ruling and people are not ready to buy a proper helmet, we can't expect them to buy riding gear or use sign language.

Rather try to make them aware of the traffic rules and good road behavior.
Spot on.
I would insist on exhorting the riders to follow safe practices at all times:
a. Helmet properly strapped, not just worn on the head. Helmet should be changed if it cracks - not taped up and reused.
b. Avoid carrying small children on the motorbike, esp if they are sleepy. In Gujarat I often saw folks riding with their child sleeping with head resting on the tank!
c. Wear shoes and not sandals while on the bike.
d. The importance of a well maintained visor.
e. Relative velocity i.e Why they should avoid the urge to ride on the wrong side.
f. using rear view mirrors. In rural UP - Many youngsters like to fold them inwards or remove them out of style (don't ask me how!).
g. When they should replace tyres.
h. DIY preventive maintenance that they can undertake? (air filter cleaning etc?)
i. Remind them of their limits - everyone thinks they can ride quick and what not, but it only takes one slip, one accident to ruin things forever. Hence, as the physically disadvantaged vehicle, bikers should avoid tempting physics (i.e slow down before intersections, squeeze through between trucks, or overtake vehicles from their blind spot etc).
j. A long one but how about Jugaad riding gear? e.g cheap isi helmets cost as little as 300-400, gloves can be had for similar prices, inexpensive jackets can be worn while riding etc. Basically better something than nothing.
k. How to brake properly. Many folks still prefer the rear brake for some reason, maybe a hangover from chetak days.

Last edited by phamilyman : 16th February 2016 at 12:58.
phamilyman is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 13:14   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

A strong emphasis on this, please this is what i see mostly when 2 wheel drivers hit the road time and again.

3 points from my end.
1. Helmet - should be an extension of you when you get on the bike, no helmet no ride. More safety gear the better.
2. Riding at night - Don't ride like a maniac or superbike champion at night, a lot of roads in our country are poorly lit and speed breakers or road work can come up without any prior warning.
3. Riding with kids - As far as i am concerned kids have no place on a 2 wheeler but i see that risk taken on a canter. Please use a better alternative to it. It should be a final resort not because they are kids but the driving practices in the country are not worth the risks taken.

Congrats and i am sure you guys will do the well to get the message across. I somehow don't have too much faith in the community to accept their wrongdoings. I hope to be wrong here.
Car-tya is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 13:22   #21
BHPian

Hey folks, this is a great thread, my points below:

1. Understand the bike you are going to ride
2. Wear protective gear
3. Have 180 degree vision - cant stress this enough. Almost all bikers i have seen on the road have far sighted vision. They are simply oblivious to close range stuff.
4. Have your eyes on the road and not elsewhere - have to mention that one guy front ended my Getz while looking elsewhere and jamming the brakes last minute. He and his mom were flung out!
5. Drive defensively - it does not hurt if you arrive 2 seconds less anywhere. The world will still go on.
6. Do not practice aggressive driving
7. Do not attempt to ride powerful bikes if u are not comfortable - many times this is an issue as different bikes have different road handling presence. Get to know them well and then you can try.
8. Have a valid license and a good helmet - you have to walk away from your ride and not in a box.

Do let us know when this will be aired.

Trumpet!
trumpet is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 13:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

A great opportunity to spread awareness about riding rules and etiquette Barca and Outofthebox. Apart from the points already mentioned, do talk about some the importance and use of insurance, its bought for a reason. Use of rear view mirrors, blindspots in other vehicles and importance of looking wider and pre empting.

All the best both.
sammyboy is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 14:20   #23
BHPian

Congratulations

Few things from my end are
  • Need for a Quality Helmet and wearing them all time while riding.
  • How to ride on gravel, wet, slippery and water logged roads or path.
  • Riding side by side with Heavy/Bigger vehicles. explaining blind spots of bigger vehicles.
  • Stressing that bikes are meant for 2 people only.
  • How to drive with kids on bikes. Have seen kids standing, sitting facing the rear with no handle to hold, small kids in the front etc.
  • Servicing their bikes regularly.
  • No mobiles during riding.
gm_arun is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 16:33   #24
BHPian

Gentlemen, thank you for the overwhelming and very beneficial responses. This, without a doubt, is the unsaid benefit of being a part of an esteemed forum such as Team-BHP.

One quick update - We cannot take brand names. Promotion/Mention of any brand has been strictly forbidden. Sarkaari stuff, after all. For example, we can't say that "AGV helmets are the best" or "Please be careful of fake Alpinestars in the market."

Also, the broadcast will be in English and not in Hindi/Regional Language. It may be translated later for respective states.

That being said, we have been allowed to use diplomatic and generalist statements such as - "There are shops in South Bangalore that sell authentic gear" or "There are many new startups in Pune that deal in authentic biking gear at a reasonable price".

Hence, whatever we say and advise, we cannot take brand names at any cost. We have been allowed to differentiate between DOT and ISI marked helmets, however.

As for the broadcast, I would like to share my experience.

4 out of my last 10 Uber trips had AIR playing on the stereo. When I asked the drivers why AIR, their reply was - "Sir. Almost no advertisements here and achhe songs."

I wouldn't mind having only 10 listeners but I have to ensure that the quality of what we speak is top notch. Absolutely no compromise on that. I wouldn't shy away from terms like ATGATT and Chain Lube because one listener today will eventually result into twenty tomorrow. It will make people aware.

And that is precisely what Indian motorcycling needs.

Last edited by barcalad : 16th February 2016 at 16:36.
barcalad is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 16:55   #25
BHPian

Firstly, Congratulations Ayush!

Secondly, please mention the importance of learning emergency braking skills on non-abs bikes. I do know, that government is making ABS mandatory soon hence if you can, elaborate on why abs should be a must have feature on motorcycles.

Regards,
Rajat
emperorofindia is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 23:55   #26
BHPian

Smile Re: Interview on Radio - Please suggest motorcycling topics, questions & answers!

A few things that I think should be flagged ,
  • The importance of always following the traffic rules, whether someone's watching or not.
  • The importance of always wearing an ISI marked helmet while riding (AND, the importance of the humble chin strap) + safety gear
  • The importance of keeping your bike in shape - preventive maintenance
  • The importance of rear view mirrors - both of them
  • The importance of defensive driving (in keeping you alive)
  • The importance of applying the right technique to brake

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 17th February 2016 at 00:01.
Ironhide is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 09:02   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Most of our BHP-ians have covered everything, one aspect which you may focus [time permitting] is a bit of knowledge spread about a fast motorcycle [not necessarily a SBK]

Why do we go to track days, its importance. Kids with $$$ venting their frustration on road need to go to a track to gauge their skills and that parents actually send 'em for imparting skills to be safe on the road and that the need to go faster on the road dies down a bit. They need to send them to track days if they love their sons.

And how fast & tormenting can a full fledged Super Bike can be. Even the D390 can be scarily fast & create havoc if not handled properly.

How did Prasar Bharti get hold of you [the correct] guys?
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 13:21   #28
BHPian

We have a meeting tonight with the officials where the final question list shall be decided.

outofthebox shall be taking printouts of the responses sent on this thread by our amazing Bhpians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How did Prasar Bharti get hold of you [the correct] guys?
Brother's colleagues are posted in the Ministry of I&B. The higher ups there wanted "experts" from the Ministry of Road Transport to come and "speak" on Motorcycling.

It was met with stiff resistance from the guys at AIR who politely junked their idea and invited us, notably because many of those guys out there are avid readers of our ride logs here on Team-BHP!

Last edited by barcalad : 18th February 2016 at 13:25.
barcalad is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 13:35   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
It was met with stiff resistance from the guys at AIR who politely junked their idea and invited us, notably because many of those guys out there are avid readers of our ride logs here on Team-BHP!
Thank Heavens, at least the listeners will benefit heavily from you guys as they wouldn't be getting to hear text-book stuff and almost all practical parts will be covered.

Of course no Official from Ministry would be riding for pleasure & would be ATGATT. So, they can never ever convey what we can.

Really proud and happy for you guys, all the very best
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 14:05   #30
BHPian

I ride a bike minimum 4 days in a week in Bangalore traffic and observe a lot of things that the riders are not doing correct. I know that people are suggesting things like proper riding gear, counter steering, effective braking techniques but since you will be talking to the common man, I think the focus should be on much more basic stuff. Here are a few things from my observation of common man riding a bike in the traffic:

1. PROPER helmet. Not a plastic one or an industrial one. A proper full face helmet that will really protect the head in a crash. People spend 40-50k on a motorcycle. They can spend 1k more and get a proper helmet. People do not realize this. If there is any way you can motivate people to buy a proper helmet, that would be a big win.

2. NO EARPHONES during riding. A lot of people ride slow, say at 30-40 kmph. Cars drive relatively fast. If a 2 wheeler suddenly decides to change lanes, the car has to brake hard and also honk to get the attention of the rider. But several riders are listening to songs in traffic which definitely reduces their awareness on the road since the sense of hearing is not present. People have actually died while walking on train tracks because they could not hear the siren of an approaching train, that's how much your surrounding awareness is hindered by earphones. So no earphones while riding. You'll be able to sense fast cars or bikes approaching from behind and you will not make those blind lane changes (which actually you should not do in the first place but then we are talking to the common man here).

3. Use Rear View Mirrors - I am amazed to see so many bikes on the road without RVMs. Or some people fold in their mirrors to make the bike look more stylish or more aerodynamic (that's what a rider told me when I asked him to open his RVMs while we were standing on a signal). Sight is the biggest sense that we use during driving/riding. If people use RVMs more, they will be able to see what's approaching from behind and make more informed decisions of turning or lane changes.

Bikers should remember: A small touch by another vehicle on a car is just a scratch but on a bike it can mean death.

I am glad you have this opportunity to educate people riding 2 wheelers. All the best! Please let me know when the show will be aired.
anshumandun is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote