Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 3rd March 2016, 10:48   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Electrified! My Royal Enfield Electra

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadeva View Post
but he strongly recommended to change to c4 as there is a chance that it might slip from c3 position in case I accidentally hit a deep pothole in high speed
i seriously hope he is joking! what kind of a service guy is he? Imagine whenever you hit a pothole your suspension level changing.
Anyways, the best is to test out on smooth and uneven roads what works for you and do that adjustment. Just did mine and hence the tip.

You have completed your first service, but have not fixed the number plate? shouldn't you be doing that on day 1?
FuelInjector is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 11:15   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post

You have completed your first service, but have not fixed the number plate? shouldn't you be doing that on day 1?
TEMP registration, has a validity of one month.

Just sitting in RTO for permanent registration. Your question would not have found a better time than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Hi there. Congrats on your new ride.

If you have the time and/or inclination, source yourself a tube of Anabond 666 RTV Silicone, preferably the clear one.

Generously dab all your electrical contacts in your fuse box, ensuring to cover all the possible water seepage areas.

you could get some Loctite and have a go at all the nuts and bolts.

Cheers. Ride Safe.
Thank you. These are the solutions I was looking for.

Last edited by Zappo : 3rd March 2016 at 11:44. Reason: This is the second time I am requesting you to stop making these back to back posts. Please use the Multiquote/Edit(First 20 mins) to respond to multiple posts in one go.
adityadeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 11:34   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. This are the solutions I was looking for.
Mate while the tightening of nuts and bolts solution is fine but the dabbing on silicone sealant on wires is not entirely fool proof. Been there done it. A water pressure of 100+ bar used at service centres cannot protect one's motorcycle from water ingress in other electrical areas. Some of them namely are your horns, electrical switchgear on your handlebar(which controls all the lights, horn, dipper, thumb starter, etc.) ignition coil, spark plug housing, and many more such electrical components.

There is a reason why some people stay away from pressure washing a motorcycle unlike a car which has its electricals neatly tucked in. Experience is more important than theoretical knowledge. I have learnt that many times pressure wash does more harm than good on motorcycles, especially RE's. At the end of the day it is your call.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 11:46   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
the dabbing on silicone sealant on wires is not entirely fool proof. Been there done it.
Absolutely correct.

It's only as good as the job you do.

BTW, pointless to apply any silicone on the wires. Instead fill the exposed terminals and pin sockets.

If you want to go the extra mile and protect switchgear, open them up and fill with dielectric grease. Same for plug caps.

Cheers

Ride safe.

P.S. Just checked up on my theory. 100 Bar is ~1450 psi. Please stay away from such washes.

Last edited by GTO : 5th March 2016 at 09:27. Reason: Cool it guys :)
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 12:38   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Absolutely correct.

It's only as good as the job you do.

BTW, pointless to apply any silicone on the wires. Instead fill the exposed terminals and pin sockets.
It is not recommended to fill the switchgear with dielectric grease as it will make it messy with dirty gunk which will be difficult to remove. Also from what I know dielectric grease is an insulator and has no conductive properties at all, it will build heat in the connections and wear them out. It does not conduct electricity very well and will in fact cause resistance issues and eventually failed connections.

adityadeva mate I will not suggest you to carry out these experiments as your motorcycle is brand new. Also I am not sure if RE will honour their warranty if anything happens to the electrical connections while carrying out these experiments.

Last edited by GTO : 5th March 2016 at 09:28. Reason: Do NOT post in a rude manner on Team-BHP
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 14:40   #36
BHPian

Iv been owning an electra for about 3 years now (with lot of exterior elements changed about it). The one thing i would recommend is to get either of the below two tyres for the rear.

3.5X19
110X90/19
vamsi2390 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 15:57   #37
BHPian

Quote:

adityadeva mate I will not suggest you to carry out these experiments as your motorcycle is brand new. Also I am not sure if RE will honour their warranty if anything happens to the electrical connections while carrying out these experiments.
I've decided to avoid pressure water wash once and for all.

No experiments till warranty is over.

Seriously thinking of installing 6 led lamps for better visibility. Service centre guys told me that fiddling with electric wiring may void warranty. Directly giving connection from battery won't void warranty. Also such modifications will not be done in service centre even if we purchase the lamps and hand it over to them. So the work has to be carried out in a local workshop. The lamps lack clamps for fitting it to the crash guard. Clamps need to be made to order locally.

I didn't get minda horns. Thinking of bosh horns which are soft on ear on likes of sedans like BMW audio and benz
adityadeva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 16:00   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
The one thing i would recommend is to get either of the below two tyres for the rear.

3.5X19
110X90/19
I did think of replacing tyres, then I put on hold the idea and decided to replace them when worn out.
Old 3rd March 2016, 16:19   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I didn't get minda horns. Thinking of bosh horns which are soft on ear on likes of sedans like BMW audio and benz
Mate before you buy them horns check their amperage rating, if they are rated at a high amperage then it will suck your battery dry. Usually for dual horns a rating of 5 amps is ok. About changing the tyres, my suggestion is wait for sometime and see if you are satisfied with the stock tyre. If not there are some options to choose from in the 19 inch wheel category.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 3rd March 2016 at 16:21.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 20:16   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Mate before you buy them horns check their amperage rating.

Usually for dual horns a rating of 5 amps is ok.
Thank you very much, I was at a loss regarding how much amp rating is good enough. I saw roots vibrasonic @ Rs. 950 but despite checking thoroughly I could not see the ampere rating, also I didn't know whether they were waterproof or not. If I don't find the soft horns waterproof I'll stick with Minda since its a proven workhorse.

Quote:
About changing the tyres, my suggestion is wait for sometime and see if you are satisfied with the stock tyre. If not there are some options to choose from in the 19 inch wheel category.
Yeah, presently I'm satisfied with stock ones, they are good enough for 100 kms per day in NH 47. I haven't driven deep green in rain yet. Come monsoon in end of may in kerala and I'll know how confident that stock tyre feels in torrential rain here.

But to be very Frank I'm envious of the look MRF zappers impart to the classic. But zappers are not available for 19" rims. Anyways, next tyre change will definitely see a wide rubber adorning the rear of deep green.
Old 4th March 2016, 22:13   #41
BHPian

Before the Odo hit One grand

Electrified! My Royal Enfield Electra-img_20160304_195029.jpg

Life above 60

Today crossed the barrier of 60kmph. Upto 63 things went pretty smooth. Around 65/66 kept, a vibration /harshness crept in, the harshness continued while decelerating and engine braking.

I crossed over to 70, it was smooth in comparison to 65 kmph. The bike feels smoothest at 58 to 62 kmph range. Hope that vibe65 goes off in due course of time.
adityadeva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 00:06   #42
BHPian

Many have found that if the motorcycle is ridden at faster speeds, the engine seems to get used to the higher speed and will "break in" more completely.

That is, if the motorcycle has only been ridden at 50, speeds below that will be smooth but speeds above that will tend to vibrate.

If you ride at 70-80 kmph for a while, the vibration at 60-65 will decrease.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 11:40   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Many have found that if the motorcycle is ridden at faster speeds, the engine seems to get used to the higher speed and will "break in" more completely.

That is, if the motorcycle has only been ridden at 50, speeds below that will be smooth but speeds above that will tend to vibrate.

If you ride at 70-80 kmph for a while, the vibration at 60-65 will decrease.

After riding at speeds around 70 it seems vibrations and the harshness has reduced a bit.

However, I don't intend to drive the bike above 70 kmph in the near future.
Old 5th October 2016, 17:41   #44
BHPian

Quote:
After riding at speeds around 70 it seems vibrations and the harshness has reduced a bit.

However, I don't intend to drive the bike above 70 kmph in the near future.
Hi adityadeva,

Very nice ownership experience and very valuable points suggested by navin_v8.

Can you pl. update your experience of Electra now as few months have passed!! Would be helpful for prospective buyers of this bike.

thanks
LongDrive lover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 10:34   #45
BHPian

Attachment 1563140
Quote:
Thank you very much, I was at a loss regarding how much amp rating is good enough. I saw roots vibrasonic @ Rs. 950 but despite checking thoroughly I could not see the ampere rating, also I didn't know whether they were waterproof or not. If I don't find the soft horns waterproof I'll stick with Minda since its a proven workhorse.

Yeah, presently I'm satisfied with stock ones, they are good enough for 100 kms per day in NH 47. I haven't driven deep green in rain yet. Come monsoon in end of may in kerala and I'll know how confident that stock tyre feels in torrential rain here.

But to be very Frank I'm envious of the look MRF zappers impart to the classic. But zappers are not available for 19" rims. Anyways, next tyre change will definitely see a wide rubber adorning the rear of deep green.

Don't worry about the tires. They are more than capable of taking care of themselves. I own a 2011 UCE Electra with MRF Nylogrips 3.25-19s at both ends. I have travelled across the length and breadth of the country with them. A few months back I replaced both the tyres at 30k kilometers and again went in for the same set. Earlier- during the first year or so I too contemplated upsizing to at least a 3.5-19 for better grip. However I saw that the motorcycle is able to keep up with all the other Classics and Thunderbirds on turning and twisting uphill and downhill fast ascents and descents. Straight line stability is excellent and turning stability is quite good too on what are essentially thin tyres. When people who drive a Classic or a Thunderbird ride my Electra they often complain about the lack of grip (coming from a fat rear tyre). When I ride a Classic or a Thunderbird I feel like going down on a knee Motogp style because there is so much grip at my disposal. So in a nutshell- the grip is adequate. Of course more will always be better though.

However the other side of the coin is slush- the electra owing the thinner rear tyre ensures that all the bikes' power is getting transferred to the minimal contact patch making it sail through slush while the Classics and the Thunderbird's owing to their large contact patch struggle just a little bit more- as the bikes power is pushing a larger contact patch through (I suspect that the Highway Tread on the Classics as opposed to the pockmarked tread on the Electra also helps in this case)

Don't worry about the tires. They are adequate for all conditions- and I say this after completing a 600 kilometers monsoon ride in continuous heavy lashing rains at speeds of 80-90km/hr constantly.
Attached Images

Last edited by rahul4321 : 6th October 2016 at 10:45. Reason: typo
rahul4321 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote