Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 10th March 2016, 14:49   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Suzuki to launch new Access 125 on March 15, 2016

Suzuki Motorcycle India has announced that it will launch the new Access 125 scooter on March 15, 2016.

Suzuki to launch new Access 125 on March 15, 2016-.jpg

The new Access was unveiled at the 2016 Auto Expo earlier this year. It gets a restyled body and measures 1,870 mm in length, 655 mm in width, and 1,260 mm in height with a wheelbase of 1,265 mm and a ground clearance of 160 mm. The scooter has a seat height of 780 mm and a kerb weight of 102 kg.

The Access is powered by a 124 cc, single-cylinder, 2-valve, 4-stroke, air-cooled petrol engine that produces 8.6 BHP @ 7,000 rpm and 10.2 Nm of torque @ 5,000 rpm. The engine is mated to a continuously variable transmission (CVT).

Suzuki to launch new Access 125 on March 15, 2016-b.jpg

Stopping power is provided by drum brakes all round. However, Suzuki will offer a disc brake at the front as an option. Suspension duties are carried out by a telescopic fork at the front and a swing arm at the rear. The scooter rides on a 12-inch wheel shod with a 90/90 section tyre at the front and a 10-inch wheel with a 90/100 section tyre at the rear. Alloy wheels will also be available as part of optional equipment.
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 20:25   #2
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Suzuki to launch new Access 125 on March 15, 2016

I sometimes fail to understand why Suzuki two wheelers have such long upgrade cycles. In 2009 I was considering a gearless scooter and shortlisted the Honda did and Suzuki access. Finally went with the dio, but what I want to tell is that in the past 7 years since I bought my dio it has gone through one major face-lift and countless small ones where as the access is practically the same scooter it was back then. Hope Suzuki speeds up their development speed.
Thebat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 10:13   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
I sometimes fail to understand why Suzuki two wheelers have such long upgrade cycles. In 2009 I was considering a gearless scooter and shortlisted the Honda did and Suzuki access. Finally went with the dio, but what I want to tell is that in the past 7 years since I bought my dio it has gone through one major face-lift and countless small ones where as the access is practically the same scooter it was back then. Hope Suzuki speeds up their development speed.
Honda practically didn't do anything with the Activa for years and nobody questioned that!

Anyway, that apart, looks like not much has changed in this scooter from the previous model. Never quite liked the scooter much for its handling or braking or engine refinement point of view. If this is only a facial job then this is pointless. The Activa's refinement is miles ahead of the Access. Hell, our TVS Scooty kicks some serious bottoms when it comes down to acceleration, refinement and overall satisfaction.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 10:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Honda practically didn't do anything with the Activa for years and nobody questioned that!

Anyway, that apart, looks like not much has changed in this scooter from the previous model. Never quite liked the scooter much for its handling or braking or engine refinement point of view. If this is only a facial job then this is pointless. The Activa's refinement is miles ahead of the Access. Hell, our TVS Scooty kicks some serious bottoms when it comes down to acceleration, refinement and overall satisfaction.
I totally agree with you helmet. But my point of contention is that Honda scooters and especially Activa are extremely popular and known for their bullet proof reliability and fuel economy. Suzuki on the other hand is a laggard when it comes to two wheelers, they cannot afford to sit tight and let their best selling model lose it's sheen. I believe that if Suzuki wants to survive in our competitive market they have to pull their socks up and better their game. My previous comment was in this context. And to me even the new one looks so much like the doomed Suzuki let's.

Last edited by GTO : 12th March 2016 at 12:24. Reason: Typos
Thebat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 11th March 2016, 10:48   #5
BHPian

Suzuki Motorcycles have lacked imagination right from the beginning when it comes to planning its products for India. Pity because mechanically their products enjoy reputation of being quite well put together.

The only recent high has been the "Gixxer".. which is more than inspired by the Yamaha "FZ16" (lack of originality once again?)

The Access did well as the second choice to the Honda Activa during the initial years only because

[1] Honda couldn't plan well enough for the demand, due to which the Activa had a waiting period of like 6 months

[2] Lack of competition from other manufacturers in terms of Automatic Scooters

Once Honda sorted the production issues and the Activa now available off the shelf, also the competition (Yamaha, TVS, Hero) putting their automatic scooters in the market, the Access now seems to have been forgotten.

The numbers suggest that there is competition now between TVS and Hero for the second position in the scooter market with Yamaha following next. Suzuki now seems to have pushed (scooter sales) to the 5th spot from 2nd place (position it held a couple of years back), with only Mahindra and Piaggio (Vespa) behind.

Last edited by payeng : 11th March 2016 at 10:59.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 14:21   #6
BHPian

All the scooter companies are now trying to make their scooters look like the Activa in their quest to catch up. First the yamaha alpha, tvs jupiter and now the suzuki access. The Active might not be the greatest product out there but was the first complete, quality scooter to the market and hence is the king. Dethroning the Activa will take some doing. And going by the numbers it looks unlikely.
AJITHAAA is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 11:10   #7
BHPian

IMHO, this version looks like a very fresh change in a market filled with Activas and bland looking Activa-wannabes (read Jupiters).

Every model is not about 'dethroning' Activa. Manufacturers know it well, that in a market as big as India's , you can cater to a small segment and still make really good numbers.

I think this is more in the direction that Fascino has taken, not in design but in approach. Retro/Neo-retro is the new cool thing, Vespa charges premium for that whereas Fascino made it approachable and has become Yamaha's bestseller despite being way more expensive than mechanically identical Ray.

Suzuki just wants to bring the ageing scoot back to life, they went with the Neo-retro formula as they already have contemporary looking scooters Swish and Lets in the stable. I think its a sensible move.

Looks are always subjective, but I have a feeling that this is going to be popular among fairer sex, rest the numbers will tell.

Personally, I have always found Suzukis to be bland and boring, especially in comparison with Yamaha and Honda. But with Gixxer, which I think is a very good attempt, although highly inspired by FZ, Suzuki seems to be catching up , the new Access looks like another bold yet honest move determined to bring in some good numbers.
abhi29 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 19:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Here are brochure snaps, deliveries will start in Nagpur from 8th April onward. Display models will come by end of this month. Even i am planning to change my trusted Access with this new model.
Attached Images

agspins is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 10:57   #9
BHPian

Suzuki Motorcycle launches new Access 125 at ₹53,887
Aims to sell 10 lakh units by 2020

NEW DELHI, MARCH 15:
Two-wheeler manufacturer Suzuki Motorcycle India (SMIPL) on Tuesday said it is aiming to sell one million two-wheelers annually in India in the next four years.

The company that launched refreshed version of its flagship model – Access 125 at ₹53,887 – said that it will focus on premium scooters and motorcycles to achieve the target.

Although the target for 2020 is tough, the company said it was confident to achieve such a target as the scooter segment is fast growing in India.

“India is one of the most important markets for Suzuki’s two-wheeler business. We are looking to sell one million units annually by 2020,” said Masayoshi Ito, the outgoing Managing Director, SMIPL.

Ito will take over as global head of Suzuki’s motorcycles business in Japan soon.

The company also plans to launch new models in the 125cc and above category in scooters and 150cc and above category in bikes, he said. “It is difficult to say how many models we will launch by 2020, but we will consider launching even 200-250cc scooters if there is demand but it will take time,” he added.

On the new Access 125, the company said it has a rigid yet lightweight frame which improves mileage, straight line stability and cornering performance.

It has a larger 12 inch front tyre and fine-tuned suspension, to improve road holding performance over rough and uneven roads, it said.

Launched in 2007, in India, SMIPL has sold 20 lakh units of Access 125 till now.
Src:http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle8357385.ece
Attached Images

virgopal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 14:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

I own a access and though the scooter is absolutely no nonsense, the service is a different ball game all together. It is ABSOLUTELY NONSENSE for the fact that they have a tiny basement with around 6 ramps to service the whole of Whitefield area in Bangalore. I mean, selling scooters is fine, but if you want the customers to be loyal to you and your brand, the service is equally important and if Suzuki is aiming to sell whatever numbers they want to, then the immediate requirement is accessibility of quality service centers.

This is the situation in Bangalore which has around 7-8 service centers only, imagine in the tier 2-3 cities.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 15:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

I wished to own the Access few years back but was plainly told by the showroom in Panaji Goa that they are not taking any bookings for Access and I could come and check after three months, I was like at the attitude displayed by them and never bothered to check it again and bought Mahindra Duro instead.
I really can't understand few manufacturers in India for eg, Chevy, Suzuki 2-wheelers and of course Fiat.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote