Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 17th March 2016, 13:45   #1
BHPian

Default Two-wheeler umbrellas are the new rage

Source : http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...?homepage=true

A specially designed umbrella fixed to a two-wheeler attracts the attention of passers-by, at Kedarewarapeta in Vijayawada

Quote:
Encouraged by public response, Mr. Asrani is planning to bring in more stocks of the ‘canopy’ umbrellas, which cost Rs. 1,600-a-piece.“These semi-circular shape umbrellas are especially useful for women driving two-wheelers along with kids as pillion riders, he says, adding: “they are available in three colours—-pink, purple and blue.
Is it LEGAL ?

Doesn't the contraption lead to accidents ?

What Next : Air Bags for Bikes

Mods: Do we have any thread to merge this data
lambuhere1 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 15:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Two-wheeler umbrellas are the new rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Source : http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...?homepage=true

A specially designed umbrella fixed to a two-wheeler attracts the attention of passers-by, at Kedarewarapeta in Vijayawada

Is it LEGAL ?

Won't an umbrella drastically affect the drag these vehicles experience?

It is hard enough to run while holding an umbrella because the umbrella acts like an air brake.

Maybe he should market it as a more effective braking mechanism while also protecting you from the harsh sun and the rains!

Last edited by Eddy : 18th March 2016 at 10:00. Reason: Pls do not quote an image, it hampers readability for our small screen users
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 15:15   #3
BHPian

These aren't safe in my opinion. Another cause of accidents added to the list.

The company claiming that the vehicle can go at 60-70 kmph speed is just not practical. The air drag will cause lots of dis-balance.
sidzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 15:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

This belongs to the following threads :
Weird and whacky modifications
Official Jokes Thread
Bad Drivers spotting

In addition to above he can be nominated for Darwin awards too.

IMHO using an umbrella on 2-wheelers is one of the most impossible, foolish, dangerous and suicidal things to do. But still have been witnessing few people trying that.
Isn't wearing a cap like helmet not enough to protect from sun as heat and rain will anyway affect you even after you use an umbrella.

P.S.- On second thoughts he can still use that umbrella by claiming it is his helmet.

Last edited by carwatcher : 17th March 2016 at 15:21.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 15:41   #5
BHPian

I cant imagine the consequences when the umbrella comes loose and hits a motorist or blocks the vision of a bus driver on fast but busy roads
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 15:51   #6
BHPian

And to add to the irony, none of the two wheeler folks in the pic are wearing a helmet
f1fan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 16:17   #7
BHPian

Two words after i saw the picture.
Dangerous and extremely Stupid!

To begin with the air drag the umbrella will face at speeds will eventually cause the umbrella to bend backwards and eventually drench the rider from the front.

Secondly the side wind currents can also bend the umbrella sideways or even to the front and cause temporarily block the riders vision.
(Happened a few times with myself riding the bike and the pillion holding an umbrella for both of us.)

Thirdly there's a high chance the umbrella setup may just break off even at moderate speeds due to air drag and fall off. Can be a dangerous obstacle for the vehicles specially two wheelers tailing from behind.

Just hoping people are sane enough not to actually start using this "umbrella".
IMO a windcheater and a full face helmet are the only safe and practical solutions for riders during monsoon.
Skyline_GT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 16:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Is it LEGAL ?

Damn sure this cannot be legal in any country, and no one can accept this as any form of safety feature.! And sure this will lead to accidents as others mentioned above.

We should have a control on these kind of fancy products with no proper road sense being advertised / sold in the market.

Also couldn't accept the fact that still some sensible riders will go ahead to purchase this jaw dropping feature and showcase in the street.
EPMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 16:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

While the idea is a nice jugaad working only for a limited set of people (e.g parents picking children up from school, and driving sedately on roads), some of the comments seem more knee-jerk and not really thought through.

Quote:

a. How?
b. Air bags for bikes are real FYI!
http://world.honda.com/motorcycle-picturebook/Airbag/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
These aren't safe in my opinion. Another cause of accidents added to the list.

The company claiming that the vehicle can go at 60-70 kmph speed is just not practical. The air drag will cause lots of dis-balance.
a. Why will it cause accidents?
b. Great point regarding the drag. Again, given the intended audience, that's not an issue - would you ride at 70 if picking up your child from a school 1-2 km away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
I cant imagine the consequences when the umbrella comes loose and hits a motorist or blocks the vision of a bus driver on fast but busy roads
a. It is no different from a pillion rider holding an umbrella - probably much more safer than that.
b. Wouldn't the bus driver's vision be blocked by other vehicles? Buses, SUVs, TUVs, auto rickshaws etc? It is normal for "vision to be blocked by other vehicles"!
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 17:03   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

b. Great point regarding the drag. Again, given the intended audience, that's not an issue - would you ride at 70 if picking up your child from a school 1-2 km away?
It may fly off and land on another vehicle and obstruct visibility.
Also, a mild wind combined with the two wheeler speed will cause dis-balance to the rider.

Yes, if going for a short distance it is a nice jugaad, provided one travels at low speeds and definitely not during rains with winds. But, would one take the pain of installing and uninstalling it everytime? What about unplanned journeys. Drop kids at home, head to office/somewhere else etc.

Example: Bangalore ORR on a weekend afternoon. Less traffic but fast moving.
sidzz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 17:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

However one justifies I wouldn't even in my dreams go with kids with using umbrella on a two-wheeler.
Is common sense so uncommon.
For rain we have rain-coats and for sunlight we have caps. I can't see the purpose other than to help out the lazy people who find it inconvenient to put the rain coat on.
The biggest irony is that we had a post today on Accidents thread mentioning that even if you go 200mts to buy a packet of milk, use a helmet as anything could happen on our roads.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 09:41   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I have driven bikes with pillion holding the umbrella, and sometimes me sitting in the back and holding it.

Trust me, this will NOT work. The amount of air the umbrella collects is considerable. Let alone 60-70kms, I think the max speed you can do is 10-20 kms. And if there are any cross winds, you are screwed. You have to drive it to believe it.

Also, if you drive your bike with the umbrella in that position I'm sure it cannot stop even a single drop of rain from hitting you. After all, when moving, the rain drops hit you at an angle.

IMHO, This is at best a scam or a non-engineered product.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 09:54   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I have driven bikes with pillion holding the umbrella, and sometimes me sitting in the back and holding it.

Trust me, this will NOT work. The amount of air the umbrella collects is considerable. Let alone 60-70kms, I think the max speed you can do is 10-20 kms. And if there are any cross winds, you are screwed. You have to drive it to believe it.

Also, if you drive your bike with the umbrella in that position I'm sure it cannot stop even a single drop of rain from hitting you. After all, when moving, the rain drops hit you at an angle.

IMHO, This is at best a scam or a non-engineered product.
Completely agree with your well reasoned response.

The ideal solution was demonstrated by the BMW C1-E.
Two-wheeler umbrellas are the new rage-bmwc1escooter9.jpg

But this solution is simply not in the same league. IMHO this can only work for <20 speeds and for protection from the sun for a few hours in a day.

But i'm still curious - given the immense reach of TBHP - isn't there anyone who has used such a device? Would be curious to have first hand impressions, esp with someone witty like tsk1979 or amitkb
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 11:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The amount of air the umbrella collects is considerable. Let alone 60-70kms, I think the max speed you can do is 10-20 kms. And if there are any cross winds, you are screwed.
Well said; With this kind of umbrella, certainly you cannot keep your balance, especially when a high speeding vehicle passes by you. You can't even predict how the vehicle will behave in such a situation. You will be at greater risk, especially, if such situation takes you off guard.

In my opinion, it is better to go without this umbrella setup, than to endanger our limbs / life!
batman is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote