Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 25th March 2016, 23:02   #1
BHPian

Default Samsung & Yamaha develop smart windshield for motorcycles

Samsung along with Yamaha have developed a heads up display for motorbikes. It is a smartphone connected display which notifies calls and texts on the windshield. The software is handsfree and the display is located at the bottom of the windshield so not to disturb the rider's vision.

Source and more details here : NDTV

Do you guys feel its a boon or a bane?

Last edited by GTO : 28th March 2016 at 09:44. Reason: Samsung, not Suzuki :). Thanks for sharing!
TorqueyTechie is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 23:33   #2
BHPian

Default re: Samsung & Yamaha develop smart windshield for motorcycles

From the technology point of view it is definitely a boon. If we consider the use of this technology in controlled conditions by experienced drivers (for example as in motor rally) it would help the driver to reach his destination faster, take feedback from his team and off course use it during an emergency. Whereas, the use of this technology on a street motorcycle driven by a regular motorist is fraught with huge risk both to the driver and other road users. It is the same as talking over mobile phone during driving. How may times have we seen a motorist (atleast in developing nations) pull over during driving to attend the calls? In my opinion, the use of this technology should be limited.
bhandary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 00:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks like that would be useful only for touring bikes with long windscreens. However, I don't understand why manufacturers can't simply raise the meter console to the same height as the handlebars instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
From the technology point of view it is definitely a boon. If we consider the use of this technology in controlled conditions by experienced drivers (for example as in motor rally) it would help the driver to reach his destination faster, take feedback from his team and off course use it during an emergency. Whereas, the use of this technology on a street motorcycle driven by a regular motorist is fraught with huge risk both to the driver and other road users. It is the same as talking over mobile phone during driving. How may times have we seen a motorist (atleast in developing nations) pull over during driving to attend the calls? In my opinion, the use of this technology should be limited.
I don't think such gimmicks would help experienced drivers in controlled situations either. For one, they know their machine. They can feel their entry speed, engine speed etc. These are just another way in which the industry is polluting the charm of what a machine is IMO wish the same effort was put into making sweeter IC engines

Last edited by IshaanIan : 26th March 2016 at 00:46.
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 02:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

The first thing i do when i ride a motorcycle is hide the phone in a place that doesnt bother me. Secondly even for GPS and routes i simply choose my memory over something that constantly distracts.

I dont listen to music (i do which is the sweet sound of the exhaust..not exaggerating) nor i care if someone calls me, texts me or even facebooks me. I like to concentrate on task in hand and i actually find these gimmicks highly irritating in a bike.,

In a car i am the first one to say heads up display would be brilliant with Navigation. And i want a DVR player and a big screen in the back seat for the kids to enjoy the journey.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 10:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
If we consider the use of this technology in controlled conditions by experienced drivers (for example as in motor rally) . Whereas, the use of this technology on a street motorcycle driven by a regular motorist is fraught with huge risk both to the driver and other road users. It is the same as talking over mobile phone during driving. How may times have we seen a motorist (atleast in developing nations) pull over during driving to attend the calls? In my opinion, the use of this technology should be limited.
As you said, its definitely a bane for urbane riding. People, especially us Indians are well known for our riding skills in cities. So if this is made available for our regular rides, cant imagine what the state would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I don't think such gimmicks would help experienced drivers in controlled situations either. For one, they know their machine. They can feel their entry speed, engine speed etc. These are just another way in which the industry is polluting the charm of what a machine is IMO wish the same effort was put into making sweeter IC engines
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The first thing i do when i ride a motorcycle is hide the phone in a place that doesnt bother me. Secondly even for GPS and routes i simply choose my memory over something that constantly distracts.
I second the thoughts of both of you. Rding is always riskier than driving where even a small mistake can lead to grave consequences. Will have to hope that it
is really thought through before getting implemented.
TorqueyTechie is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 21:29   #6
BHPian

Post Re: Samsung & Yamaha develop smart windshield for motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Suzuki along with Yamaha have developed a heads up display for motorbikes. It is a smartphone connected display which notifies calls and texts on the windshield. The software is handsfree and the display is located at the bottom of the windshield so not to disturb the rider's vision.

Source and more details here : NDTV

A small correction. Your post says Suzuki which made me wonder, were those companies really looking to sharing knowledge with each other. Samsung it is.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 26th March 2016 at 21:30.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 12:41   #7
BHPian

Default Re: Samsung & Yamaha develop smart windshield for motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Samsung along with Yamaha have developed a heads up display for motorbikes.

I feel that this is a dangerous precedent for motorcycles. Riding a motorcycle is fraught with risks, and having a screen that is constantly sending you messages, missed calls, and social media updates is going to increase the risk to the rider. As other members mentioned, while riding, the rider should focus on the road ahead and should not get distracted. Your life is at much higher risk while riding – especially in a country like India where few follow traffic rules and lane discipline. One of the essentials to safe riding is “defensive riding” where you anticipate what is happening on the roads, and respond accordingly. I feel that any device/technology that has the potential to distract the rider should not be encouraged since it gives riders less time to react in an emergency situation
anandpkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 10:14   #8
BHPian

Default Re: Samsung & Yamaha develop smart windshield for motorcycles

More details and video review about this can be found in the link below.

http://www.dmarge.com/2016/03/samsun...urce=flipboard
TorqueyTechie is online now   Reply With Quote