Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 8th April 2016, 02:51   #31
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Bengaluru: Dealer auctions old Yamaha RX135s for 1.5 lakh!

Apart from the registration I am also very eager to know the condition of the engine. The bikes were just kept standing for almost 10 years - what effect would that have on the engine and other mechanicals of the bike. Does anyone have any pics of the bikes that were sold? Wondering how was the condition of the overall bike - the paint, plastics, rims rubber parts etc. Anyone from Team-bhp who picked the bike or knows anyone who picked one - please share more info.

I have a very weird feeling that the price may be just exaggerated or probably a rumor to increase the value of the RX135s. Just my personal thinking - I may be totally wrong.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 04:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

If not build...atleast, get to know the basics, buy spares & supervise the person who builds it rather than yielding to day robbery.
If not that, then just look around for a well maintained RX100/135 for half the price.

If you are telling me that these 7 purchasers are so rich and time is so important to them that they seem to value their time more than the $$$ then I have perhaps underestimated the busy multimillionaires they are. No discussion there after on the pricing then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The RX 100 was good. The other RX series were OK, they feel good only due to nostalgia. The present FZ series can do whatever the RX series can, much better.

I would pay maybe 25k for an RX100 for nostalgia. At the prices being currently bandied about, I would not touch it, leave alone the others in the same series, even with a bargepole.
You seem to be on the other end of the spectrum by claiming the FZ can do whatever the RX can do. Come on! The exhaust note, the rev happy engine, the light and nimble feel etc.. Some things which just come to my mind.

For 25K you will probably get a bike without papers or one that needs major work. Nothing more.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 05:25   #33
BHPian

I have a 1999 model RX135 and my brother has a 1990 model RX100 rotting back home in Kochi. Didn't sell them when we left the country thinking we would come back as well due to nostalgia but they're lying there unused since 2011.

Next time I'm in India, I will sell them because time has taken toll on their condition and I cannot tolerate their sad state.
josejoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 06:36   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
If not that, then just look around for a well maintained RX100/135 for half the price
That motorcycle just don't demand that kind of ridiculous price, atleast for now when most parts & talents are still available. Like I said earlier, even buying every single part from ASC including the price of a scrap motorcycle & assembling charges will not come anywhere closer to a Lakh, so why pay someone more than that unless the money is used for charity or the paid money balances black economy!

Quote:
If you are telling me that these 7...they are. No discussion there after on the pricing then
I didn't say that nor I would want a discussion about any individual

Last edited by aargee : 8th April 2016 at 06:39.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 06:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I didn't mean you said sir It was in reply to the general comments in this thread that $$$ is more important to some than time.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 11:24   #36
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
That motorcycle just don't demand that kind of ridiculous price, atleast for now when most parts & talents are still available. Like I said earlier, even buying every single part from ASC including the price of a scrap motorcycle & assembling charges will not come anywhere closer to a Lakh, so why pay someone more than that unless the money is used for charity or the paid money balances black economy!
that's being a bit judgmental about people who are willing to shell out money for their interests. Likewise I find people who pay 80k for a iPhone gold wasteful because the plastic phone is not worth more than 15 k in the sum of its parts, or people paying a couple of lakhs on a watch most funny because even a mobile can show time... and so on. If someone has the money and the inclination, he/she will pay the price for his/her passion, there is no right price for sentiments....
apachelongbow is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 11:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You seem to be on the other end of the spectrum by claiming the FZ can do whatever the RX can do. Come on! The exhaust note, the rev happy engine, the light and nimble feel etc.. Some things which just come to my mind.

For 25K you will probably get a bike without papers or one that needs major work. Nothing more.
I know the used bikes command crazy prices. I am just saying it is not a cult bike to demand that kind of money. It is no RD 350 after all.

If I want a fun bike, I would buy a used Yamaha YBX for a lot less money. Excellent bike.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 12:12   #38
BHPian

I owned a 4 speed 135 RX and can vouch its the best bike to own when it came to abuse, rough use, triples, speed runs, wheelies and all kinds of fancy moves, owing to its light weight construction and simplistic design.

There are some serious 2 stroke techies in Bangalore and who have given the RX's RD's a second lease of life, their setup is highly reliable and knocks off all negatives the RX faced when was in stock mode, They installed more durable reed valves(plastic/fiber), imported barrels from Malaysia, installed CDI kits for better current output, revised ignition timings, sprocket-ed it as per customer's desire, crafted custom made expansion chambers and so on. The List is endless.

In Malaysia the top most customized RX trim can do 180 kph in flat out rides easily and never experienced engine seizure. I mean they set the benchmark with respect to two stroke engine tuning and ensured peaky power delivery without compromising too much on reliability. Malaysian tuners went to the extreme of doing 220 kph in Dyno runs in a highly modified RX setup.

The bottom line is their experimental material was always an RX and it came out with flying colors without failing every time, So if the bikes sold had all the above fitments with a completely functional Two stroke Oil pump in place with robust electrical s with brand new stock barrel and new connecting rods, clutch assembly then it is really worth paying the steep price. I think 2 Stroke techies are the best people to judge the cost after they do a thorough visual inspection and test ride.

Last edited by GTO : 8th April 2016 at 15:51. Reason: Typo
sriramr9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 12:33   #39
BHPian

Quote:
That motorcycle just don't demand that kind of ridiculous price, atleast for now when most parts & talents are still available. Like I said earlier, even buying every single part from ASC including the price of a scrap motorcycle & assembling charges will not come anywhere closer to a Lakh
aargee

I know you have been there, done that. And I also know that you have very strong opinions (to which you are of course entitled). But your repeated assertion that 'most parts are still available' and 'buying every single part from ASC + scrap motorcycle + assembly charges will cost less than a lakh' is simply not true - not in 2016. I do know that you built an RX (or more) a while ago, but please check your facts about availability of parts.

Quote:
That motorcycle just don't demand that kind of ridiculous price
And who are you or me to decide this? Obviously that motorcycle did command that price. Whether you like it or not. Not once, but seven times.

Quote:
Really?

Quote:
What a bunch of fools whoever bought those bikes at such a high price!!

Last edited by Viju : 8th April 2016 at 12:44.
Viju is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 14:34   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
iPhone gold wasteful because the plastic phone is not worth more than 15 k in the sum of its parts, ..
Aye aye Sir, an iPhone isn't plastic but metal

Sorry to go
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 16:00   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes; like they say Bill Gates doesn't pick up $5 bill he dropped as he makes more than that per second instead of wasting his time to pick up one!! For such people, yes, there's $$$ attached to time.
Sorry, but your comparison is completely off the mark. We're talking weeks of effort here, not the 3 seconds it takes to pick up a note. FYI: I think Bill Gates knows more about money than me or you. He's donated a larger portion of his wealth than we ever would (in terms of %, not absolute $).

Coming back to your 'build an RX' example, you are perhaps the kind of a guy who also feels that buying Dell / any branded PCs is silly, as one can order all the parts online and then put a computer together on his desk. I can tell you that'll be a lot simpler than building an out of production bike! Well, wake up and look at the number of branded PCs around you.

The difference between your argument & mine is that I'm willing to accept both sides (buy ready vs build your own). You sir, on the other hand, think of one side as fools which I completely detest. Like I said, many of us put a value on convenience & time. Remember, 800 Thars costing nearly a million rupees sell every month when you can buy & build a cheap MM550 for 30 - 40% of that money.

Quote:
And like I said above, a true passionate person will definitely find time especially in the modern days
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveemashfaq View Post
i don't think a true enthusiast would buy one new because he knows at the back of his head that he can build one for lesser money
Oh please, stop this purist crap of 'true passionate person'. I am as much of an enthusiast as anyone else, even if it's been 10 years since I've gotten my hands dirty on my Jeep. A dude truly enjoying his Alto K10 on a mountain road is as much of an enthusiast as us, even if he's never opened the bonnet up.

Last edited by GTO : 8th April 2016 at 16:03.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2016, 00:51   #42
BHPian

RX100 does have a special ring about it, oh so much so I can still hear that sweet note from the exhaust. I remember back in college, my friend's Rx100 used to be my favored ride. Some special memories with it, and some absolutely forgettable ones like crashing it once head on in to a police barricade under Def col flyover on a rainy day and ending up flat on the road. Once Rx135 was launched, it was always viewed as inferior to Rx100s. People who had Rx100 always vouched by it.

Will I pay that kind of money to own one today - probably not. But then we have all had our indulgences in one way or the other, so why question others?
rattanw is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2016, 13:07   #43
BHPian

That is a news I read the other day and was sad I could not pick it. My baby came from the same Pacer showroom in 1999 just after a 2 month long strike Yamaha had. I remember paying the whole 49k (my dads money) without even taking a test ride and to get the first lot.
Presently my Yamaha on its 3 rebuild in Chennai itself. I hardly have the time to over see the build, the quality of parts which goes into the bike. Chennai being Chennai all mechanics are the same. Every time after the build the bike starts to fall apart in few months - rusting, paint peeling, oil leak, rusting nuts, heating up, vibrations on high speed, fake parts.
I never get the perfect feel on the bike, always feel like a transplanted bike

I have spent a good 1 lakh on the bike till date to keep it in good condition and it is still far from how it was out of the showroom.

Living in Chennai having 7 day working week (unlike the gifted American company employee) , I would any day be ready to pick a new Yamaha for 1.5L.

About the engine condition of a stored bike for 10 years. I can deal with it easily than a transplanted bike.

Last edited by Visaster : 9th April 2016 at 13:09.
Visaster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2016, 15:25   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I have a very weird feeling that the price may be just exaggerated or probably a rumor to increase the value of the RX135s. Just my personal thinking - I may be totally wrong.
I agree that what you said may be probable in a generic situation, but atleast in this case of RX-135, I don't think that is what is happening.

Trust me, this bike still has so many fans all over the country.Myself included.

May be it doesn't make sense to newer bikers who started learning on more powerful Pulsars and Dukes.

More than the actual cost of the bike, it's the nostalgic value that plays here.

RX-100 is one of the first bikes that I have ever ridden during my college days.
Owning an RX-100 or Shogun was such a cool thing in those days.
Both were there in my friend's circle.Infact I learnt to ride on these bikes.

At that time,I used to be amazed at the power delivery of the 2-stroke machines, especially in the first 2 gears.
I have popped un-intentional wheelies while learning on RX, but I could never replicate than on another friend's 4S Champion.
So the 4-strokes of those times were always looked upon as weak powerless machines by us teenagers, in those days.

I tried to get myself an RX as my first bike, but my Dad's friend intervened and adviced him, not to buy Yamaha as it is not fuel efficient and also dangerously powerful for beginners.
And he himself recommended Splendor as the best choice.
Naturally, inspite of my protest, a brand new black splendor came home as my first ever bike.

Years later, I upgraded to pulsar and then to cars and all, but still that lost first-love is still there in mind.
Given a chance, I would consider spending above 1 lakh for a well-maintained RX-100 or RX-135.

So for an un-used fresh RX-135, no wonder people are willing to spend 1.5 Lakhs.

For such rare old things in demand, we can't tell that a given price is too high.
What the seller decides, that is the price.
Negotiating is also tough in case of such high-demand articles,because the seller can confidently wait for another buyer who will happily agree with that price.
VinodDevil81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2016, 16:34   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

If I wanted an RX100, I'd happily pay 1.5 lakhs to own one today.[/url]
RX100 was my first bike and I regretted selling it. Even I wouldn't mind shelling out 1.5l for rx100/135 in good condition.
sathish81 is offline   Reply With Quote