Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

View Poll Results: Royal Enfield Himalayan or something else?
Royal Enfield Himalayan 31 34.83%
Mahindra Mojo 10 11.24%
KTM Duke 200/390 8 8.99%
Other bikes from the RE stable (e.g Thunderbird 500) 6 6.74%
Save $$$ for a bigger ADV tourer (e.g Versys 650) 24 26.97%
Something else(Please specify) 10 11.24%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th August 2016, 17:14   #31

Wait for the Africa Twin, But I suppose your budget is limited.

In my opinion, go for the Himalayan as it is a motorcycle which is easy to work on, Plus Royal Enfield have no issues regarding parts. (They have a shop in leh!)

Having ridden the himalayan, i can assure you that the motorcycles chassis is SORTED. It is built to ride pavement as well as the dirt, and if I was looking for a dual sport bike under 4L, it would be my pick.

The Mojo began as a sportsbike, And turned into I dont know what. I would not recommend it.
aahlawat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 17:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

Purely to choose between the two, I would recommend the himalayan too. It's a get and go bike, very utilitarian, and throw anywhere and pick it up bike. Honestly it'd a bike that I wouldn't mind throwing down a cliff and walking away from. If I was on a budget and didn't care for an aspirational value, this is THE bike to go for right now.

Ofcourse there's a lot of loose talk about the ktm adv 390, but it'd just that, loose talk. Since you are only heading out for an adventure in 2017, I suggest you wait for the himalayan to sort it's niggles out, as well as for any news of other adv tourers in the market. Might serve you good.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 17:27   #33
Default Re: Confused for a Adventure Tourer

Out of the two, I would recommend the Himalayan. The low end torque is just perfect for trials, it is a purpose built motorcycle and would be ideal for the Leh trip.

But, if you plan to ride from Indore all the way, then the highway ride would be really boring. I don't expect the RE to ride at high speeds comfortably (reason - low bhp's), I could be wrong here (I've ridden the Himalayan for short distances only).

The seating position would be ideal and the long suspension travel is just what you need. You can carry lots of luggage easily and travel comfortably.

I don't think there are any new launches coming up in this segment in near future. The KTM 390 adventure is not confirmed yet.

Regarding the Mojo, it's not really a adventure tourer, its more of a normal tourer. The GC is pretty less to go on trials, wheels are a standard 17 inches, has alloy wheels which a no-no for off-roading and the suspension travel is standard too. But it would be fun to ride on the highways.
Test ride both the bikes back to back and finalize! Happy buying!

Last edited by Siddy : 19th August 2016 at 17:29.
Siddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 18:49   #34

Why don't you expand your options to include the Versys 650? Or as someone suggested you can wait for the Africa Twin.

My suggestion will be, do a test ride of the Himalayan, the Mojo, the Benelli, the Kawasaki Versys and the Tiger XRx. It does not matter if it is in you budget or not for you to do the test ride. Once you do this you will know for sure what is it exactly that you want and how far are you willing to stretch your budget to get it.

Also since you will be doing leh-ladakh on a bike, buy the bike early and get used to its behaviour by going on short to medium distance rides.

Hope this helps.
BeantownThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2016, 05:52   #35

I'm not sure which all bikes you have checked/tested so far but would suggest you to include CBR 250 in the list (if not considered already). It is one reliable proven piece of machine in touring community. I have been through that dilemma recently and picked up CBR 250 due to following reasons.

1. ABS (missing in mojo)
2. Alloys and tubeless tires (missing in Himalyan)
3. FI engine (missing in Himalyan)
4. Proven reliability. There are cases of people using it for more than 1 Lac kms and it's still running fine.
5. Quality product

In terms of seating position, other two have an advantage over CBR 250 but it isn't that CBR 250 has an aggressive seating position to make you uncomfortable. And after riding CBR 250 for close to 2k kms, I can easily say that it's much much better than famous tourer RE Bullet Electra (which has pathetic soft foam seats IMHO).

So I would suggest you to take time (since you have plenty) and test ride all possible options and then decide (who knows you might pick KTM after that ).
rahulba is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2016, 00:28   #36

The reason for selecting a bike out of the two bikes you have mentioned should not be going to Leh.

The reasons should be - Am I going to off-road? Am i the guy who off-roads in the true sense? It means jumping your bike, both wheels in the air blah blah etc etc.

1) Real off-roading.
2) Want comfortable pillion seat. (This is only if you are going to Leh with a pillion)
3) You want loads of space to tie your luggage and you carry a lot of luggage on your trips, like camping gear, Photography gear etc.

1) Better vehicle for a once in a year trip to Leh v/s the kms you drive on paved roads.
2) Refined and better engine.
3) Tubeless tyres are a boon especially in Leh.

My choice would be Mojo base on practicality and based on the miles you would spend on paved roads v/s off-roading. Also very few people do real off-roading and carry a lot of luggage with them. (I have to truthfully admit I have not driven the Himalayan)

On looks and meant for purpose the Himalayan beats the Mojo down.
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 23:05   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Pics please. Seriously.
In order to avoid cluttering this thread - I posted it on - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...handlebar.html

It rides beautifully. The cornering doesn't feel as "connected" but it manages the curves just as well as earlier

Total cost ~1000-1200.

Coming back to Tanuj's question - I would also suggest something different although its no longer considered "sexy" - the Karizma.

Its a proven tourer - works well on all roads, has next to zero niggles. It is really reliable and has been thoroughly tested even in rallies like raid de himalaya by many many folks. It is low on power, but is otherwise an inexpensive reliable package that is a solid performer on a limited budget.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote