Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 28th April 2016, 20:41   #31
BHPian

Default Re: From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange

You cannot have a dull moment with Duke. Daily office commute is sheer fun. Silver arrow is being used only on weekends strictly for family

As I continue to clock more miles on this bike, I am getting to know it better. This is a different animal altogether, something wild and I am taking it slowly to understand all the characteristics.

So far I have done two long rides.
  • Ride 1: Group ride to Lavasa (Approx 100 kms)
  • Ride 2: Solo ride on NH4 (Approx. 70 kms)

Some additional observations.
  1. The engine is extremely rev-happy. 5k+ rpm is piece of cake
  2. Bikes behaves very steady on highway
  3. Overtaking fast moving cars is done without any fuss
  4. On twisties, itís even better. Thoroughly enjoyed the Lavasa winding roads. It gives you so much confidence on corners
  5. Even after riding the bike really hard for more than an hour, I did not feel any back pain. Seats provide sufficient cushioning
  6. Iím yet to get comfortable with brakes. Had few close calls during both the rides
  7. Attained top speed of 115 during ride two only for brief moments. Rev-limiter kicked-in immediately
  8. Cruising at 100+ kmph can be done with breeze. One day will surely plan ride to Goa or Konkan
  9. The wind blast while riding on highway is really very high

Few photos of ride to Lavasa

Duke was accompanied by sibling, RE Desert storm and FZ.

Name:  Lavasa1.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  188.1 KB

Name:  Lavasa2.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  195.6 KB

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-lavasa3.jpg

Got FE of 42 kmpl

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-lavasa4.jpg

Few photos of ride on NH4

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-ride_2_1.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-ride_2_2.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-ride_2_3.jpg
mp417 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 22:28   #32
BHPian

Default Re: From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange

Ride no. 3. Lots of off-roading. Pune to Velhe and back.

Date: 1-May-2016 (Maharashtra Day/Labor Day)

Route:
Chandani Chowk, Nasrapur phata, Velha (Around 82 kms)
Velha, Pabe, Khanapur, Donaje, Uttamnagar, Chandani Chowk (63 kms)

Total distance: 145 Kms

On the eve of Saturday, me and my buddy made a sudden plan of riding on Sunday. We met at Chandani Chowk sharp at 6:30 on following morning. This was the longest ride done so far.

Few observations from this ride,
  1. Duke is very comfortable on highways. Triple digit is achieved and maintained easily.
  2. Off-roading was handled easily. At some places, the road was non-existent and Duke behaved as expected. No surprises.
  3. After spending 2 hours on the saddle, my bum started aching and I was really uncomfortable in last half an hour. May be with more rides, I will get used to it.
  4. Duke is extremely comfortable in twisties. Itís proven again, this bike is the best handler.
  5. The open chain is an issue. See the photos to know why.
  6. Special mention of the LS2 visor, the fit is very accurate and doesnít leave any gap. So less wind noise. Off course at higher speed the wind noise is high. The adjustable air vents work perfectly and are very easy to use even with gloves.

Upcoming report on First service.

Band of Brothers

Name:  one.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  200.3 KB

At Velhe

Name:  two.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  180.4 KB

Front of Khadakwasla Dam

Name:  three.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  139.6 KB

Total Ride time: 192 minutes

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-four.jpg

40+ kmpl

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-five.jpg

Chain is covered with Red soil

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-six.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-seven.jpg

Orange Duke covered in Red soil all over

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-eight.jpg
Old 12th May 2016, 22:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the bike, i have the same bike(march 2012) and the same helmet

The newer dukes have many new small improvements like protection for the rear shocks, handle bar grip, front disk and more. Braking on duke was already excellent with new setup it should be exceptional.

Clean the rear clain with any chain cleaner, i use the motul one, dust is not good for the chain life.
Rahulkool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 13:49   #34
BHPian

Good to see like minder riders and their steeds.

My KTM Duke 200 completed one year some days back and barring an irritating tyre problem, it has been good. As i use my bike mainly on the weekends for 200 - 300 km solo rides, this tyre problem is all the more aggravating.
Both my tyres lose around 4-5psi of nitrogen each within 5 days. MRF has replaced the front tyre some months back but the problem is not solved.

Dealer (AadiVenoo) disagrees that it is a rim problem. Rim problem cannot be overlooked as these being cast components, chances of "air pockets" happening cannot be ruled out.

I am constantly being tossed from dealer - to - MRF -to- dealer.

Buying a premium product does not mean you will get that level of service.
AmarPaithankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 12:06   #35
BHPian

Finally Duke was TBHPed today

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-duek-tbhp1.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-duek-tbhp2.jpg

Added few more decals to Silver Arrow

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-sa-bhp1.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-sa-bhp2.jpg
mp417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 16:12   #36
BHPian

First servicing report. 2-May-2016

The next morning of the ride, I went to clean the bike and thatís when I observed the chain and many parts covered in thick red soil. It was impossible to clean. The Duke had done around 855 kms so decided to get the first servicing done the same day. After making few calls to Service advisor, Sai Service Phugewadi and Service manager, got the appointment at 10:00 am. Informed my buddy and he was ready for servicing as well.

Reached Phugewadi at around 10:15. Itís a big service centre having Bajaj service on one side and Maruti Suzuki servicing on the other side. My buddy had already reached since the service centre is very close to his home. We met the mechanic Sachin Paigude. He took my buddyís bike first and then mine. On enquiring about washing he said bikes will not be washed due to water shortage. I was like Duh. After lot of requests he agreed that they will just pressure wash the bikes but wonít use the shampoo. I agreed.

My buddies bike was taken first to the servicing ramp. By that time my Duke was taken to washing.

This service centre has two KTM mechanics and to my bad luck the second mechanic was on leave. So things moved at snails pace. We waited at the small customer lounge. The bike servicing section is divided into two parts, Bajaj and KTM/Kawasaki. The KTM section is very small having only three ramps. One for Kawasaki and two for KTM.

Mechanic performed following steps;
  1. Bike was pressure washed
  2. Both the seats were removed
  3. Air filter was cleaned which is located under the rider seat
  4. Engine oil was drained
  5. Engine filter replaced
  6. Engine oil replaced (Motul 4T, 7100 20W50)
  7. Chain was cleaned using diesel and sponge
  8. Chain was lube
  9. Chain tension was adjusted/tightened
  10. Scanner was connected to OBD to check errors
  11. Grease was applied on battery terminals
  12. Checked functioning of all lights
  13. RPM limiter was reset to 9500 and 10000
  14. Gear lever play was adjusted since I was facing issue getting the bike in neutral
  15. Small test ride within the compound
I got friendly with Sachin and asked him if I can watch and take few clicks while the bike is being serviced. He said itís ok but he should not be clicked while he is actually working on the bike due to security reasons. Photos of bike are ok. I was watching all the steps very closely and chatting with Sachin.

Sachin was a very knowledgeable person and he has been working on KTM bikes since KTM was launched in India. He had undergone 3 months servicing training by Bajaj at Chakan plant.

He specifically mentioned to take care of following things;
  1. Chain cleaning after 500 kms. Use diesel to clean the chain and then use the chain lube spray
  2. Always keep the front fork clean. If dust is accumulated then it damages the oil seals.
  3. Do not keep bike cleaning cloth anywhere near frame. Use only rear seat storage.
Total cost of first servicing: Rs. 1299 including service tax + vat.

Around 100 ml of the remaining oil was returned to me.

I was out of the service centre by 1 pm. I would say these three hours were time well spent

Overall the servicing was done as per my requirements. I would rate 4 out of 5. Two reasons, they made lot of delays for preparing the bill & bike was not properly washed and cleaned.

Bike reception area

Name:  01 service area.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  158.9 KB

Bike delivery area

Name:  02 delivery area.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  162.6 KB

Customer waiting lounge

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-03-customer-lounge.jpg

Buddy's Duke on ramp

Name:  04 buddy bike.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  148.1 KB

My baby getting the attention

Name:  05 my bike.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  157.4 KB

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-06-oil.jpg

Would love to have it one day

Name:  07 tools.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  108.5 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Congrats on the bike, i have the same bike(march 2012) and the same helmet

The newer dukes have many new small improvements like protection for the rear shocks, handle bar grip, front disk and more. Braking on duke was already excellent with new setup it should be exceptional.

Clean the rear clain with any chain cleaner, i use the motul one, dust is not good for the chain life.
Sorry for replying late.
Thank you. The bike is simply awesome. I am very happy with my decision.
I have ordered the Motul chain cleaner and lube today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar View Post
Good to see like minder riders and their steeds.

My KTM Duke 200 completed one year some days back and barring an irritating tyre problem, it has been good. As i use my bike mainly on the weekends for 200 - 300 km solo rides, this tyre problem is all the more aggravating.
Both my tyres lose around 4-5psi of nitrogen each within 5 days. MRF has replaced the front tyre some months back but the problem is not solved.

Dealer (AadiVenoo) disagrees that it is a rim problem. Rim problem cannot be overlooked as these being cast components, chances of "air pockets" happening cannot be ruled out.

I am constantly being tossed from dealer - to - MRF -to- dealer.

Buying a premium product does not mean you will get that level of service.
This is a big issue
What is the current status? is it rectified.
Doesn't matter whose problem it is (KTM/MRF) as long as it's fixed.
Have you contacted regional head of KTM?

Last edited by aah78 : 10th June 2016 at 01:01. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 6th June 2016, 12:17   #37
BHPian

On a previous Sunday, while riding back from Lonavala, after crossing 124kph, my bike started to wobble dangerously. On reducing speed, the wobble vanished. Prior to that, just a couple of days back my bike returned from scheduled service and at that time the rims were checked for any run out / deformity. Everything was in place as per the mechanic.
My latest update on the tyres: MRF was quick to reply to my mail about my rear tyre loosing tyre pressure and it being wobbly. The service manager called me. I left early for office so as to reach the Wakadewadi MRF office. They inspected my bike's rear tyre, measured its tread depth and depending on usage (1mm tread wear), I was offered a new MRF Revz C1 tyre which MRF claims is better than the previous tyre.

I paid Rs. 490/- to MRF (usage)

Even though MRF has replaced both tyres (and they have been prompt in doing so), I have lost faith in that brand. and so while returning home from the MRF office, I made a quick detour to Prabhat tyres and got the brand new rear MRF replaced by a Metzeler of similar dimensions. A week down the line, the front tyre too was replaced by a Metzeler. Metzelers cost a bomb but from what I have heard about them, they are fantastic till the time they last (I do no care much about tyre longevity. Grip counts)

I had to sell the MRF tyres on my own as no tyre dealer was willing to buy them back. According to him no one purchases MRF tyres for KTMs at least (I believe him).

I am yet to clock decent kms on these new set of tyres.

Fast forward to 4th June 2016, I noticed that the side stand had worked itself loose and was dangling. Had I not noticed, the stand would have fallen off!!!
AmarPaithankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 14:35   #38
BHPian

Congrats for the Duke 200.

Can you share the upgrades in MY2016 Duke?
Abeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 17:04   #39
BHPian

Here is my Duke 200 with Metzelers
Attached Thumbnails
From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-20160519_190853.jpg  

AmarPaithankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 19:04   #40
BHPian

How is the braking on D200? Means in emergency or hard braking how it holds up?
roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 21:39   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar View Post
On a previous Sunday, while riding back from Lonavala, after crossing 124kph, my bike started to wobble dangerously. On reducing speed, the wobble vanished. Prior to that, just a couple of days back my bike returned from scheduled service and at that time the rims were checked for any run out / deformity. Everything was in place as per the mechanic.
My latest update on the tyres: MRF was quick to reply to my mail about my rear tyre loosing tyre pressure and it being wobbly. The service manager called me. I left early for office so as to reach the Wakadewadi MRF office. They inspected my bike's rear tyre, measured its tread depth and depending on usage (1mm tread wear), I was offered a new MRF Revz C1 tyre which MRF claims is better than the previous tyre.

I paid Rs. 490/- to MRF (usage)

Even though MRF has replaced both tyres (and they have been prompt in doing so), I have lost faith in that brand. and so while returning home from the MRF office, I made a quick detour to Prabhat tyres and got the brand new rear MRF replaced by a Metzeler of similar dimensions. A week down the line, the front tyre too was replaced by a Metzeler. Metzelers cost a bomb but from what I have heard about them, they are fantastic till the time they last (I do no care much about tyre longevity. Grip counts)

I had to sell the MRF tyres on my own as no tyre dealer was willing to buy them back. According to him no one purchases MRF tyres for KTMs at least (I believe him).

I am yet to clock decent kms on these new set of tyres.

Fast forward to 4th June 2016, I noticed that the side stand had worked itself loose and was dangling. Had I not noticed, the stand would have fallen off!!!
Sounds dangerous.
Good to see that MRF at least listened to the customer.
Congrats on getting the Metzelers. How much did it cost?
Your duke looks very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
Congrats for the Duke 200.

Can you share the upgrades in MY2016 Duke?
Following are the upgrades to MY2016 Duke and RC lineup.

1. RC 390 gets slipper clutch
2. Duke / RC 200 gets 300mm front disc
3. Disc brake thickness increased on all models
4. Reworked radiator fans
5. Plastic flaps & NOK seal for front fork
6. Modified ECU dampers
7. Vapour recovery system for the fuel tank
8. Reworked front & rear alloy wheels
9. Forged levers on step holder
10. Revised mounting points
11. Reworked frame with M6 tapping
12. Adjustable handlebar levers
13. Different paint quality, although same shade
14. New pillion seat assembly
15. No on / off switch for headlamp
16. New MRF tyres for Duke / RC 200
17. RC models get revised rear view mirror
18. Better cushioned seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
How is the braking on D200? Means in emergency or hard braking how it holds up?
The brakes are very sharp. So far I have had one very close moment when I was riding on city road at speed of approx. 50 and out of nowhere a lady tried to cross the road without looking right first (the very basic rule for pedestrians). When I noticed her I assumed she would stop but she didn't. Within a second both of us were on the right hand side of the road and I braked hard (read really hard). Used front brake more and bike stopped without any issues. Not even single moment I felt the bike is out of control. The upgraded front brakes are really nice and inspire confidence.
Special mention of tyres, the MRF Revz C1 offer decent grip and I have never faced any issue.
Old 7th August 2016, 18:29   #42
BHPian

Was off the thread due to multiple reasons.
Primary being my other long running thread on Tour DE France. Now that the Tour is over, let's get back to business. Completed ride 4 and 5 over last couple of months. Here are the updates.

After purchasing Duke, I have have formed a bikers club in office. Criteria is 200 cc and above

Ride no. 4. Back to Lavasa - first club ride

Date: 28-May-2016

Route:
Chandani Chowk to Lavasa

Total distance: 107.4 Kms

Baby Duke was joined by Harley Street 750.

This time we went inside Lavasa city as against previous visit.
After reaching Lavasa, we swapped our bikes. I rode the Harley for the first time. Here are my observations;
1. Hell lot of Power
2. Handling was nowhere close to Duke. On the twisting Lavasa roads, the bike felt as if I'm sitting in a boat.
3. Brakes were vague. There was no bite.
4. My friend has installed custom exhaust. It makes loud noise but it was sweet. Simply loved it.
5. Bare bone display console
6. Gets very hot near your thighs

Overall, enjoyed the ride. Harley definitely gave me a different perspective.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-01.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-02.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-03.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-04.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-05.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-06.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-07.jpg

Almost empty dam. This was back in the month of May. Over last few weeks, Pune region has got sufficient rain. Will be interesting to visit again.

Name:  08.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  166.3 KB

Name:  09.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  151.3 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  104.7 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  122.4 KB

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  174.8 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  126.0 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  130.2 KB

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  136.4 KB

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-16.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-17.jpg

Comparison between Harley and KTM

Name:  comparo1.JPG
Views: 519
Size:  38.2 KB

Name:  comparo2.JPG
Views: 527
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  comparo3.JPG
Views: 538
Size:  41.4 KB

Last edited by mp417 : 7th August 2016 at 18:31.
Old 7th August 2016, 21:44   #43
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

KTM is an awesome brand. Since its launch in year 2013, it took motorcycling industry by the storm and with the introduction of RC twins, it is just getting better and better. I am holding back for 2017 models, since its CEO has already announced that they are revamping their complete feet in 2017. Lets see how it plays out. I was initially looking forward to own G310r but since its not going to enter India anytime soon, I think KTM would be the one for me.

Congrats on your purchase brother, D200 is an awesome bike and I have recommended this to a lot many folks at home and office. I would definitely recommend tank pads and Tail Tidy from evotech or R&G performance.

Keep us posted with your experiences. Wish you many happy miles on your Duke.

drive_angry

PS: Its about time you name your baby!
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2016, 22:36   #44
BHPian

Wait a minute, I have not given any name to my baby Duke. After lot of thinking, discussing with family, my daughter suggested the name "Orange Arrow". I am a big fan of Mercedes Benz and McLaren, so this name is apt. I already have a Silver Arrow (aka Swift) so it makes sense to continue the tradition.

So here is my Orange Arrow

Name:  001 Main01.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  220.9 KB

Name:  001 Main02.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  225.1 KB

Name:  001 Main03.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  267.1 KB

Ride no. 5. Ride in the clouds. Quick dash to Lonavala

Date: 11-June-2016

Route:
Chandani Chowk to Lonavala via old Mumbai-Pune highway

Total distance: 139.3 Kms

For this ride, many folks were expected to join but only three (including me) turned up.

The group was:
  • Orange Arrow
  • Duke
  • Harley Street 750

We assembled at Wakad and started the ride at 6:15 am.
The weather was perfect. It was cloudy but not raining. The old Mumbai Pune highway is perfect for bike ride. You get awesome driving experience in terms of roads, scenic beauty, food etc.

We reached Lonavla around 7:30 am. Went till the old road connects the Express highway. Stopped at a chai-tapari and it started raining heavily. It was simply beautiful. Had hot cup of tea with garama-garam pohe. After few mandatory photo shoots, started the return journey. Reached home around 9:30 am.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-01.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-02.jpg

Clouds in the background

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-03.jpg

A funny incidence happened at this spot. While we were taking photos, there was a family next to us enjoying the scenery. The elderly man came to us with his 13 years old daughter. He asked us whether she can sit on the bike and take a photo. We were like Why not. We anticipated she would like to sit on the Harley being the big brand. To our surprise she said I want to sit on the Orange bike. Me and my buddy were like

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-04.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-05.jpg

The bike in the middle is D390. We met a guy who has travelled almost all the states on his Duke. He had installed a frame with two metal boxes at the rear to carry stuff during long drives.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-06.jpg

Notice the custom pillion back rest of the Harley. My friend (fellow bhpian : EcoBeast) has designed and manufactured the unit on his own.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-07.jpg

Look at massive radiator of Harley. KTM's look so tiny.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-08.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-09.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-10.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-11.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-12.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-13.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-14.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-15.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-16.jpg

Tasty home cooked breakfast

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-17.jpg

Mandatory stop to buy famous Lonavala Chikki

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-18.jpg

Good average speed

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-19.jpg

Okaish fuel economy. I'm not complaining.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-20.jpg

Total riding time.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-21.jpg

My observations about Orange Arrow
1. The bike handling is so perfect that no matter in which situation/speed you are in, within fraction of a second you gain COMPLETE control of the bike
2. Attained top speed of 125 kmph. After about 110 kmph, I felt that I should have gone for D390 The engine almost runs out of breath after 110-120. Even at this speed the bike is rock solid.
3. On the straights, Duke was no match for Harley
4. Bike felt awesome on the ghat section. They way you zip passed the trucks gives you super excitement.
5. The roads were wet after the rain at Lonavala so I was driving very carefully. Yet to get 100% confidence on the MRFs

Few observations about my riding gear

1. LS2 with tinted glass is perfect on highway. The fit and finish is top notch. No complaints so far. The adjustable air vents provide sufficient flexibility when needed. I keep them closed 99% of the time. The visor fits snugly and blocks all the air while riding. Wind noise it acceptable.

2. The DSG gloves provide good grip. It has mesh cloth at multiple places which ensure your hands are not sweaty.

Need to add following things in my riding gear on priority.
1. Proper riding jacket
2. Riding shoes

Few other miscellaneous updates

Gave much needed wash to Orange Arrow after the Lonavala ride. During the first service the bike was not cleaned thoroughly due to water shortage. Thanks to the naked design, Orange Arrow really gets dirty everywhere and it's pain to clean all the areas. Used 3M car shampoo during the wash and it gave satisfactory results.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-23.jpg

Removed the saree guard. It's bolted only using two screws and very easy to take off. Tyre hugger will go off after the monsoon.

Name:  24.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  149.1 KB

One day at office;
Colleague: You come to office on bike?
Me: Yes
Colleague: Even during rains?
Me: Yes
Colleague: Does it spray water on tailing vehicles?
Me: Not only on other vehicles but it sprays ample amount of water on rider as well. He he he.

Used the KTM bike cover when I was out of town for a week. The cover fits perfectly and really covers the entire bike. The only issue is, it has a strap only in the middle. Due to heavy wind, the front portion comes off easily. Additional strap at the front side would have been useful.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-22.jpg

Thanks for reading !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
PS: Its about time you name your baby!
I was composing the post when you posted the reply. Have already name my baby.

Last edited by mp417 : 7th August 2016 at 22:45.
mp417 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 21:13   #45
BHPian

Ride no. 6. KTM Independence Day Ride

Date: 15-August-2016

Total distance: Approx 150 Kms

I was super excited when I received the KTM Pune Orange Ride invitation. This was my first ride arranged by KTM. Registered immediately and called up SA – Sagar to confirm my participation.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-email1.png

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-email2.png

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-email3.png

As mentioned in the email I reached the Wakdewadi showroom sharp at 7 am. To my surprise there were already 50+ bikers with bikes parked in line. A photo session was going on. I parked my bike as well and asked a fellow rider about the briefing session. He said it’s already done and they only talked about the stops and route. No discussion on bikes or anything else. Most of the riders were communicated time of 6 am. This was the first blunder/shock. The organizer asked me to sign an indemnity form which I did without bothering. At around 7:15 the organizer asked everyone to reach Chandni chowk.

All 50+ KTMs riding in a group was the best experience. We were riding in 2 x 2 fashion. The exhaust sound was simply awesome. We reached chandni chowk and took the first halt at Daulat Dhaba petrol pump at around 7:35 am. Organizer told us that we will wait for riders from other showrooms to assemble here.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-img_20160815_073829.jpg

All the KTMs parked in a line was an awesome sight. Chatted with fellow bikers about their overall experience, riding gear, any issues with their bike etc.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-img_20160815_075521.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-img_20160815_075610.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-img_20160815_075615.jpg

It was already 8:15 am and everyone was getting restless. It started raining heavily as well.
In the meantime, many KTM riders (from other showroom) passed the spot and continued to Lavasa. The time was 8:30 and everyone started asking about the delay. Later we came to know that the time communicated to Nal stop showroom was 8 am. This was the 2nd blunder.

At around 9 am, around 40+ riders joined the group. There were few college kids on RCs without any riding gear. They were acting totally crazy, raising the throttle unnecessarily and doing crazy things. There were few more riders without any riding gear.

The Organizer distributed few stickers, sleeveless t-shirt and assembled all the riders.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-img_20160815_081612.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-img_20160815_082242.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-img_20160815_082248.jpg

They informed us about land slide happened the other day near Lavasa and so we need to change the route. New route was Warje, Khdakwasla, Kudje route towards Lavasa. This was the 3rd and biggest blunder. See the map image. The road shown in red was so bad, it was like full offroading.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-route.png

The entire convoy started at 9:45 am. Can you imagine? I was hoping to reach back home around 10 am.

There was one rider on RC riding the bike very rashly. At times he went on the opposite side of the road since he could not control the bike It was very dangerous.

As the roads were already crowded, the group was split into multiple small groups. I think I was in the very last group since I was riding sanely. On the bad patch of the road, one of the fellow riders on D390 got a flat tire. The organizers were nowhere around to help. We reached Lavasa top at around 11 am.

Orange Arrow reached the 2nd milestone, completed 2k

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-img_20160815_101359.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-img_20160815_102349.jpg

Lavasa entry was stopped due to land slide on the Lavasa internal roads. The organizers were nowhere to be seen. All the riders were waiting with confusion on their face.

Confused? what's next? where is my breakfast?

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-img_20160815_102357.jpg

Then at 11:30 I decided to leave and reached home around 12:30. I never saw the organizers on the return journey.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-img_20160815_104901.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-img_20160815_104904.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-img_20160815_104932.jpg

Overall it was a FLOP SHOW and left a bitter experience for me.

1. Time mis-communication
2. Allowing riders without riding gear
3. Allowing dangerous riding in the group
4. Not having backup in place
5. Not sticking to schedule and the overall event

Got 42 kmpl

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-img_20160815_114227.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-img_20160815_114246.jpg

Orange Arrow behaved as expected even on bad roads. Not even a single difficult moment throughout the ride. Though the seat cushion seems hard at first, I have got used to it now. No back or A** pain at all.

Orange Arrow is king in the handling department. Hats Off !!!

Problems noticed during the ride

Problem 1: Water getting accumulated in the head lamp assembly and center console. See the center console photo above.

Problem 2: Oil leakage from engine block.

A fellow rider pointed this issue to me during the ride. His Duke also had similar problem and told me to take the bike to service center.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-img_20160830_090229.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-img_20160830_090235.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-img_20160830_090242.jpg

Coming up next...KTM DIY Session report and few minor upgrades

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by mp417 : 30th August 2016 at 21:20.
mp417 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote