Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 12th May 2016, 00:36   #16

Default Re: Back Pain - Which Royal Enfield? Classic vs Thunderbird vs Himalayan

Hey Kestersujay!

I've been using the Classic 350 for over 2 years now and I've had no backaches or related issues whatsoever (except for a sore-butt on journeys over 100KMS at a stretch.)

Also, it has adequate power to maneuver the city traffic and is very comfortable on the occasional long drives (I've done a 400KMs drive in 7 hours with minimal halts and no problems at all!). It is never a pain.

The seating is pretty comfortable for the rider, while not so comfortable for the pillion as I hear complaints from (HER) on our occasions long drives.

However, I'd surely recommend you the RE Classic 350 considering your commute requirements!

Regards,
Vinay.
TwistOfFate! is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 06:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Back Pain - Which Royal Enfield? Classic vs Thunderbird vs Himalayan

Your back pain is mainly because of the angle you are creating at your arms.

If your arms bend at right angle you are invariably in a straight position with respect to your back.

Try different handle bars. Also if the back pain is evident for short rides, its just your bad posture and changing bikes wont help. Try some stretching techniques and change posture.

Regarding handle bar try wider ones, shorter RD ones or custom made to create the best angle for your rides.

I changed and even tried modifying the ktm 390 to suit my needs.
VW2010 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 08:34   #18
BHPian

A tall person riding any bike will encounter back pain after some time. If you adjust for relief to your back then your shoulders or knees will suffer.

The first thing to do is to strengthen your core muscles. (Belly, side and back.) Start doing Pilates exercises and consult a physiotherapist for specific treatments. Other wise this will create spine issues 15-20 years down the line.
sridhar-v is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 09:26   #19
BHPian

You've mentioned that you're getting a used bike, Himalayan is out of the question then. I use a classic 350 for my daily 60 kms commute and after changing the Handle bar to an RD one I have no problems of back pain with it. However I wouldn't suggest you consider going for a Royal Enfield at all as every time I give the vehicle for service it comes back with problems which didn't even exist before and the quality is going downhill without a doubt.

If I were in the market today for a bike I wouldn't touch RE with a bargepole as the bikes they are making are the most pathetic quality ones that I have seen and you'll royally end up wasting your money. Why not try something modern like a MOJO?

Last edited by GTO : 12th May 2016 at 11:53. Reason: Language
Thebat is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 12th May 2016, 10:22   #20

Hi! I write this as a Physiotherapist. I own a Thunderbird and have owned an Electra earlier. The simple rule in ergonomics is that no two persons are alike. Mass produced bikes are made with the general Indian population in mind. For each person to be comfortable you need to modify and tweak the settings to suit you. Your back pain may be due to your own posture. I too have a back issue and have learnt to work around it. Modify your seat to suit your height. Adjust the handlebars so that they are comfortable.
RogerEphraim is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 12:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The first thing to do is to strengthen your core muscles. (Belly, side and back.) Start doing Pilates exercises and consult a physiotherapist for specific treatments
I have to agree with this. A strong core helps you also to maintain some correct posture. There are two types of back pain in motorcycle i have experience. The first one is purely because of the handle bar and the angle to the handle bar. This pain is a sharp one between shoulders all the way to mid back. And when you squeeze your muscles you can actually feel that sharp pain. The remedy before handle bar changes has always been around proper stretching and strengthening exercise.

Also the way you have set up your clutch and brake(levers) contribute to fatigue a lot. If they are too far away from the grip find a way to get them close so you are not stretching those underlying forearm muscles as well. I usually have the clutch almost at the edge (full) where i need to simply press the clutch level for few mm's and the rest of the movement is actually not required. This helps keep relaxed palm and the forearm muscles.Similarly the front brakes are much closer to the grip than stock.

The second type of pain i have felt is around the lower back and sometimes feels like you have pain right above your kidneys. This is pure fatigue, dehydration and lack of strength for me. The more active i became the pain started to go. But i also felt keeping the stock hip to leg angle and position was not helping. I either put my legs on the rear pegs or keep it over the crash bar. The best position is to have an extender on the crash bar in long rides and have a more V shaped leg position.

The best solution for lower back was to fill the rear seat with my bag and even a pillow to give a nice back rest effect. The above picture of a seat with back rest will do wonders as long as you are sitting back. Else simply add something between that rest and your back to provide a continuous stretching effect.

Last but not the least keep your body replenished with fluids, take rest, stretch lying down for few minutes and most importantly ensure your mind is not tired. An active mind always keeps your body active

Last edited by VW2010 : 12th May 2016 at 12:07.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 19:02   #22
r.K
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestersujay View Post
Hi

One common problem though. I rode both Classic & TB for about 3-5 km but I got back pain.

Are the Fuel Injected Bullets reliable or should I opt for the Std 500.
Go for the TB/Classic 500. You will not be disappointed. If you can wait a while, see how the Himalayan evolves and then go for that.

Regarding the back-pain - the bikes which you drove were test drive bikes right? Are you sure they were accident free? If there is a slight bend in the fork/handle bar it will cause pain to your elbows/upper back. Did you try test driving in any other showroom? If this was not the case, you can always beef-up the seat and add back rests as pointed out by the other members.

And finally go for a new bike, especially for bullets. The used bike may look new, ride smooth, but you never know if the previous owner had abused it, or if the engine would seize say a 1000 kms after you buy it. I can understand that you have spent a lot customizing your '82 bullet, but nevertheless save and go for a new bullet. Cheers!
r.K is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 19:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
You should forget upright riding posture if you want to save your back. Upright riding posture on a Bullet means your spine becomes part of the shock absorption process. Look at bikes like the Mojo or a used Inazuma for ultimate comfort.
I agree that sitting upright makes one feel that they are putting stress on the spine, but that is because that's what the spine has evolved to do. While taking the bumps while leaning forward may 'feel' more comfortable, this actually puts a lot more stress on the vertebrae and can cause lateral movement among them. This is also the reason why we're told to use our legs to do the lifting when lifting heavy weights rather than use our back muscles.

This is just my $0.02 based on what I've been taught by my orthopedic doc after my slipped-disc injury.
vivtho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 20:56   #24

Smile Re: Back Pain - Which Royal Enfield? Classic vs Thunderbird vs Himalayan

Well, experience with my RE STD 350 has been nothing great if you consider the ride quality. When asked an experienced Bullet mechanic, he said

"As the bike is quite heavy, the springs are also quite loaded, and hence offer a stiffer ride. Also, one can never get as supple a ride on any Bullet as a gas charged shocks fitted commuter bike, like say a Hero Glamour, due to its much lower kerb weight and lesser load on springs of suspension."

I felt like I'm riding on a smooth road when I rode my friend's gas shock wala Hero Glamour on pretty rough terrains with lesser shocks being transmitted to my body. Agree that Glamour can't give as flat a ride due to its lesser weight, But my Bullet or Classic (rode 2 of my friends') while offering a flatter ride, would transmit all undulations on to your body.

My mechanic is suggesting me to go for less stiff springs for rear suspension, probably the ones borrowed from Yezdi bike (Hard to find though as new one isn't available, and I've been kept waiting).

Hope this helps.
sechebe is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 07:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

@sechebe,

Dont get me wrong but i think your mechanic is simply making a sale here. I am using a shock from 2005 and its pretty good. As with any motorcycle the suspension offers only so much and unless you are off roading or riding mostly in bad roads the suspension is hardly in action and needs to be like stock stiff.

The shocks are pretty good for most riding conditions and learning to stand up on bad roads is far easier than expecting any shocks do something different. This is my personal take and i never once had a thought to change that suspension from 2005 and its now getting into 12th year.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 10:07   #26
BHPian

Quote:
One common problem though. I rode both Classic & TB for about 3-5 km but I got back pain. I'm currently riding a Pulsar which has a forward leaning (slightly) riding posture while both RE Classic & RE TB have upright riding posture. I didn't get any back pain while riding the Himalayan though. So I've realised the riding posture is causing the Back Pain. Earlier in my Electra I used to get back pain if I ride for more than 50km at a stretch; but the foot-peg position & handle bar are altogether different in these new UCE bikes.
kestersujay mate you've answered your own question, you are more suited to slightly lean forward and a slightly backward footpeg position. RE Himalayan is an apt choice for your seating position comfort. The shock ups on the Himalayan are definitely better than all RE's combined as they are a bit soft sprung. The seat is good too with a wide seating area and soft cushioning. The handlebar is one of the best RE has brought in so far and the ergonomics are spot on as if everything falls in place. I didn't had to adjust even one bit except for the static headlamp assembly (which doesn't move with the steering) while test riding the Himalayan.

Quote:
Is this (back pain) common for RE Classic & RE TB - considering that many people do 100's, 1000's of KM on these bikes on the harshest of terrains. Is there any remedy to this problem - like a back rest - or has anyone tried any other solution.
Mate seating position and seat both are very subjective some find soft cushioned seats better while some like hard cushioned seats. RE CL and Standard series uses an upright riding posture(also called gentleman's riding position). It is the most neutral position and has a very good balance of comfort as well as control in day to day riding. Tbird due to its slightly raised handlebar, contoured seat and forward set footpegs is more laid back (although slightly upright) which makes it ideal for touring/cruising. As I said seating position is subjective and depends on one's height, weight and limbs length. Backrest for back comfort(lot of options to choose from) can be added in addition to gel seats for butt comfort.
Quote:
It is good I realised this problem before making a purchase. Or should I wait for the Himalayan.
From your posts I could make out the riding position you are comfortable with. In that case Himalayan makes more sense.
Quote:
Also please suggest what are the things that I need to watch out for when buying a used Bullet. Are the Fuel Injected Bullets reliable or should I opt for the Std 500.
Mate there are many things that one needs to watch out before buying a used RE and as rightly mentioned FI is one of them if you are looking at Tbird500 and CL500. I gave a suggestion to another guy on J.Ravi sir's thread about a used RE. Here's the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...iaries-58.html (Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries)

Refer to my post # 862 and 864.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 06:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I'm 6'1" tall & weigh about 110 kg.
I am sure you must have and will find very useful suggestions regarding the bike that will help you more miles with no or less back pain. I don't mean to be rude, but I would like to express my views on what I think is the root cause of the back pain. Taller people like yourself are more prone to such issues and even worse issues related to vertebra and spine. Overweight only worsens the situation by increasing the stress on the only skeletal link (vertebra), which also carries the only data cable (spine), between the upper and lower body.

Changing the motorcycle is definitely the quickest way of getting some relief but I don't think it is the solution to the problem. I think you need to introduce some amount of workout in your daily routine. That will help you bring down your weight, which ideally should not be more than 85-90kgs for your height. It will reduce stress on your vertebra and spine and also strengthen the muscles supporting this critical chord of the body. Along with workouts, you also need to watch what you eat. I am saying this from my personal experience. Diet makes a huge difference. A dietician will be able to help you more with this.

If you can trust me, change in lifestyle will go a very long way in making each mile you ride more pleasurable no matter what bike you ride. I apologize if any of the things I said above has hurt you in any way.
psurelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 09:07   #28
BHPian

Totally agree with psurelia.
Apart from back strengthening exercises check the mattress and pillow you sleep on.

I too, had this dilemma about worsening back pain. Changing bikes, raising handle bars, gel seats, riding posture and trying several other solutions, I was told to check my weight.

Diet control, yoga, back strengthening exercises and changing my mattress and pillow worked wonders for the back pain.

Off course, I also did get a bike with better suspension.
Hope this helps.
Happysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 11:39   #29
BHPian

Hi kestersujay,

Most likely the back pain you are experiencing is because of non-ergonomic posture and sitting stance which is being caused by your being taller than average.

For example, I have been riding the classic 350 for 3 years now, but not have had any instances of back pain even when riding hours at a stretch. (I'm 5'7").

If you have had the problem riding Electra earlier, I am certain that the same issue would crop up riding the Standards 350/500 , Classic 350/500 or the new Electra as they have almost the same posture, ride height and dynamics.

TB 500/350 and Himalayan are thus your only options. Out of these as well I do not believe that TB sitting posture is any better for taller riders (maybe worse that Classsic IMO).

So do have a serious look at the Himalayan as a buying choice.

PS : Another tip would be to first try adjusting the handle bars for a more upright position and better reach instead of making changes to the seat. IMO this can create a more ergonomic posture, causing minimum stress on the back.
Hope this helps.
mobius 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 13:19   #30
BHPian

I drove a pulsar for 5 years (around 70k kms) and that is when I used to get some back pain though I never thought of it anything apart from some drive related stress. Sold it later in 2009 when I moved on for my post grad and that is when suddenly one day I had a shooting pain in a my lower back rendering me almost immobile. Thankfully I recovered in a weeks time.

Got an Apache RTR FI in 2011 and used to ride it as well but never had any issues as such. Fast forward to 2012 and one fine morning while having breakfast, I again had shooting pain in my lower back, so much that I wasnt able to stand or sit and had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance. Docs confirmed a disc bulge which was pinching the nerve roots causing the problem. A root block and around a months rest with Physio got me back on the legs.

I still continue to drive and ride (sold the apache for an activa for family needs) and do my physio as regularly as possible. A sports doc to whom I went for the physio mentioned about the posture even for riding a bike and it was supposed to be upright and not the leaning forward one as most bikes have these days. As per them, in a leaning forward position, the force of a shock acts outwards from the spine which is very much a cause for disc bulges and prolapses. Having the spine upright ensures that the the shock gets distributed evenly without affecting just the lower back.

Long story short, the posture is the main culprit for the pain and not the bike in itself. Yes the cushioning does matter in terms of easing out the shock but it might not be able to help completely
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote