Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 19th June 2017, 09:20   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
After the One year service, I have not ridden the bike since I was travelling a lot. Even when I had taken delivery after the service I was not very happy with the rear brake feel. It was too soft and hardly felt any resistance when pressing it. I was told it is perfectly alright. Unfortunately the rear brakes started locking every time I applied it. It will release after a while. It was become too dangerous to ride. I have left it in the OMR service station today. I hope they do a better job this time...
They found the master cylinder of the rear brake to be the issue and they replaced it. It seems to be fine now. The feel is far better than before and there is jamming of the rear brake now. This was done free of cost. Haven't done any long distance trip for a while now. May be will do a Pondy trip during one of the coming weekends.
arulpeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 07:01   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
I too feel the same with rear brakes. every time the wheels gets locked and skidded. now a days i am very much afraid to use rear brakes and manages with front brake and occasional use of rear one.
I have shown it to service guys and they told, it's normal. need to check with some other Himalayan.
I felt that the locking of rear wheels is due to the wooden feel of the rear brakes. There is no feedback of how much has been applied and no modulation or progression.

I've changed the rear brake pads to EBC Semi Sintered brake pads. I get good modulation and feed back from the rear brakes. My confidence has improved and no locking of the rear wheel yet. I'll know for sure as I ride through the monsoons this year. So far it has been good.

Also the front is updated to EBC Double H Sintered brakes. Braking is very crisp. Note that the new pads need about 500 KMs to bed-in.
TuxDiesel is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 10:26   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxDiesel View Post
I've changed the rear brake pads to EBC Semi Sintered brake pads. I get good modulation and feed back from the rear brakes. My confidence has improved and no locking of the rear wheel yet. I'll know for sure as I ride through the monsoons this year. So far it has been good.

Also the front is updated to EBC Double H Sintered brakes. Braking is very crisp. Note that the new pads need about 500 KMs to bed-in.
Thanx for the information.
where did you buy EBC pads. possible share the details and price.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 14:50   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Thanx for the information.
where did you buy EBC pads. possible share the details and price.
I got them from https://shop.motousher.com/collections/himalayan

Price varies from 2350 Rs to 3500 Rs based on your choice.
TuxDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 23:06   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
After the One year service, I have not ridden the bike since I was travelling a lot. Even when I had taken delivery after the service I was not very happy with the rear brake feel. It was too soft and hardly felt any resistance when pressing it. I was told it is perfectly alright. Unfortunately the rear brakes started locking every time I applied it. It will release after a while. It was become too dangerous to ride. I have left it in the OMR service station today. I hope they do a better job this time...
Excellent review and thanks for the detailed description sir.
Me and my friends from Chandigarh last year took the trip to Leh. My current bike Triumph Rocket is not really something to ride to Leh so from Manali I rented a Himalayan after parking my own bike in my friend's house in Manali.
I must say it was not the abused rented bike which I happen to opt. This Himalayan had completed 1200 Kms, serviced and kept in a garage. The owner was known to my Manali friend and the bike had not tasted Leh. It was till now used for Himachal guided trips.
I did have few aches after riding it from Manali to Leh on the first day but remember I came directly from the Rocket. Riding this while standing on route to Leh on non existing roads was fun.
The brakes were good, the front readout cluster was ok, the suspension did its job on the route but like you mentioned I too feel the power was less. Here I like to add that may be it's just me as I am coming riding the Rocket where power is too much especially at low RPM.
RE has made a good, in budget off road go anywhere bike and they should provide good quality accessories too like other manufacturers Triumph and BMW. Good quality offroad panniers, Tank bags, lights etc are a must for the Himalayan.
If you do plan another north trip which I feel you should from time to time please include Chandigarh in it and do message in advance. Definitely would like to meet you over coffee while you can have your bike inspection at RE
Regards
joybird is offline   Reply With Quote