Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 25th May 2006, 17:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Pulsar 180 dtsi 700 Km Review

There are loads of Indian bikes in the market from small 100 cc commuters to powerfull 225 cc beasts.but i always had one bike in mind.The 180 cc Pulsar.as some of you know i was in the lookout of a barely used , good condition 2005 pulsar.but unfortunately i couldnt find any and only 150s very available.So then i was wondering if i should pick one up but it just didnt materialize and i wasnt to keen on the 150.I never had another bike in mind and the karizma just didnt do it for me.prefer the looks of the puslar anyday and the power difference between the karizma and pulsar is a mere 0.5 bhp at the same rpm.besides a few other things

So finally on The 12th of April i went to The Sai Service Ageny showroom at andheri as thats the closest Probiking Showroom from my house although its 35 Kms away !!! And on the 2nd of may i took delivery.just checked out the bike did the regular paper work stuff and was out.Today I have done about 720 kms and will be going for my 1st service Day after.

Total Distance covered : 720 Kms
Distance covered on highway : 150 Kms
Distance covered in city : 570 Kms
Mileage : 52 Kmpl

The Engine

The 180 cc dtsi engine is awesome , while idling noise is almost negligible.its really well refined.The Power delivery at low rpms is great which makes it easy to zip through in city traffic.I havent accelerated past 4500 rpm as im still running her in so cant say much about the higher rpm and top whack but im sure itll be just this good.i can easily do speeds slightly above 20 in fifth gear without any traces of knocking.The new Exhaustec exhaust improves the mid range by a huge amount and the difference can definitly be felt.

The Gear Box

The pulsar gear box is well known to have the false neutrals.and thats one thing i wont deny.i have got it a few times but it only happens when i just touch the lever slowly and not actually shift it how its supposed to be done.so lately that hasnt been happening and i feel if a person makes a effort to shift gears properly and not jus touch or bang them, the gear box aint all that bad.and can be at par with any other indian bike if not better.so if any one tells you not to buy a pulsar 180 because of the gear box , Dont listen to them.

Brakes

The Front disc brakes enables the rider to have a lot of confidence while braking only if used properly.the rear brake although not a disc isnt that far behind either.if both are used in co-ordination the stopping ability is great but could definitly be better with better tyres.

Tyres

The tyres that are provided with the bike are the mrf zappers.the thread pattern looks good.definitly not something to rave about but its okay.on dry roads they arent that bad.the grip they privide is average as they are hard compound tyres but ive heard the life of theses tyres is great.the grip that it provides while banking (cornering) and while stoping isnt that bad BUT only on a dry surface.come on a wet surface or one with gravel or sand and youll see how bad these tyres really are.

Ride Quality & Handling

The ride quality isnt that great.nothing to really speak about.i find the shocks too hard and i can almost fell each and every bump or pothole i go over.im going to get the shocks made a little soft.cant comment much on high speed stability because i havent crossed 60 Kmph.but at 60 its as stable as a rock.
But on the contrary this machine handles like a dream.Accelerates Fast , Stops Quick, Very Stable while Banking and Taking turns even at high speeds.
A few people have complained about the pulsar seats but i find it comfortable.but after riding for over 40 kms at a stretch you definitly fell like getting off.but i guess thats normal.

Looks

This is where i feel the pulsar wins hands down when compared to any other Indian bike.its got great head turning looks.specially the Version 2.1 with the black mags , engine and exhaust.it looks something different and not like the normal indian bike your used to seeing.so looks wise its deffinitely a head turner !!

Miscelenous :

The headlight is great.its powerfull and also widespread and thus lights up a dark unlit road really well.the only problem is when your slow or while changing gears and you stop reving the light becomes dim as its not connected to the battery like in cars.

The Dual horn is another thing im really happy to have.you use it well and people know you mean business.you need it in the city specially with these cabbies cutting you and these 'Heros' who walk in the centre of the road as if thier pop own the dam street.
The tyre Hugger is something new that only Bajaj has started to install on their bikes.i think it looks good.specially on the pulsar.
The engine kill switch is another new thing in the 2006 pulsars.

1) The Sporty Look.Just love that All BLACK Look !!
2) The feel of The Torquey Engine.
3) The sound when revving it hard(although i havent done that on my bike yet)
4) The headlight is quite bright and wide spread and lights up darks roads well

Dislikes :

1) The bikes Just doesnt start in the mornings with a kick start.you have to use the Electronic starter the kick start can only be used on a hot engine.
2) The gear box.its not that much of a problem as i said earlier if you use it properly but it definitly could be made better.
3) The speedometer doesnt light up all over and a few digits are left unlit.
4) the squeaking shock absorbers.(has just started)

Besides these few problems the bike is perfect.

Would i recommend this bike to any one ?? A Definite YES

Do i regret buying this bike for any reason ?? Hell No......

Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 17:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

Neat review Rev. The P180 in all black is my fav colour! However, with the rains coming up, you sure are going to have a hard time keeping her clean!

About the tyres, change to Sport Demons if you can. Nothing like 'em!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 18:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanx a lot Rtech. yea the all black looks great !!
i know its going to be hell keeping it clean but thats wht car and bike enthusiasts love doing.
im not sure of changing the tyre right now but when i do its definitly going to be the Pirelli SD.but what about the front ? i would like to change that to and prefrebly get a tubeless like the rear.

Rev
Old 25th May 2006, 18:24   #4
BHPian

amazing review dude........great bike definately......that bike looks simply awesome in all black.....i need to ride it once for sure

till then cheers and keep it coming
cheatingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 18:41   #5
BHPian

Hey nice review revtech. & the pics are also nice.
caroholic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 18:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanx a lot Cheating death and caroholic.
Old 25th May 2006, 18:56   #7
BHPian

Thumbs up

Would i recommend this bike to any one ?? A Definite YES

Do i regret buying this bike for any reason ?? Hell No......

Rev[/quote]

I too own a Pulsar and I heard many people saying all the bad bits(like the gearbox, etc) in the Pulsars but we can definetly live with them leaving them aside its a lovely bike to ride. Congrats on your new bike and ride safely.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 19:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
About the tyres, change to Sport Demons if you can. Nothing like 'em!
Pirelli sport demons 110/90 is available in 18 inch for 18 " rims or alloys .
But this pulsar is 17 inch alloys.So he cannt use them.
And there are no pirellis for 17 " as of now ,searched whole of banglaore and chennai !

@revtech great review .
why u cant use electric start at morning? . i have been using electric start(180 dtsi mine also) in mornings for the past 2 + years everyday , no issues.

Last edited by black12rr : 25th May 2006 at 19:37.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 19:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr
Pirelli sport demons 110/90 is available in 18 inch for 18 " rims or alloys .
But this pulsar is 17 inch alloys.So he cannt use them.
And there are no pirellis for 17 " as of now ,searched whole of banglaore and chennai !

@revtech great review .
why u cant use electric start at morning? . i have been using electric start(180 dtsi mine also) in mornings for the past 2 + years everyday , no issues.

your right pirelli available only for 18 inch rims but theres this one guy who told me hell try and manage to get it for a 17 inch rim.if he cant ill have to decide between the baracuda and the michelins.

you got me wrong.i cant start the bike with the kick start.the electronic starter works fine and ultimately i start the bike with it.the kick is the problem.

Rev
Old 25th May 2006, 20:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Neat review and good u're running in properly. 52kmpl! Wow! My first gen 180 gives me something between 35 and 40 depending on how kind I am
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 20:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
your right pirelli available only for 18 inch rims but theres this one guy who told me hell try and manage to get it for a 17 inch rim.if he cant ill have to decide between the baracuda and the michelins.

you got me wrong.i cant start the bike with the kick start.the electronic starter works fine and ultimately i start the bike with it.the kick is the problem.

Rev
What i ment was why do u have to use kick when there is starter ? it dose not affect the battery or the engine.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 01:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr
What i ment was why do u have to use kick when there is starter ? it dose not affect the battery or the engine.
yea i know but i read somewhere that during run in the first morning start should be a kick start.then the ES can be used.i just thought id try that out.but it just doesn happen.but its okay.not much of a problem.

Rev
Old 26th May 2006, 10:00   #13
BHPian

Nice review bro, but take care of ur bike. Ive heard many cases of the black coat peeling off the engine
member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 10:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Looks neat...BTW u got a seat cover there??

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
power difference between the karizma and pulsar is a mere 0.5 bhp at the same rpm
Explain..
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 11:01   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a Great unbiased review that I have come across recently. Excellant stuff

Congrats for your steed dude.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote