Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 27th September 2016, 10:43   #211
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-n67chang-la2.jpg

Starting Odo reading before Leh Trip

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-leh-departure_2_odometer-reading.jpg

Closing Odo reading after the Leh Trip

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-final-odo-reading-after-leh-trip.jpg

I had returned from the Ladakh trip on 8th/9th of September, 2016 at 01.30am after covering 3274 kms of my soul journey in about 14 days. Last 124kms, alone, in the dead of the night on the dangerous and lonely Shamli-Karnal highway. That is after facing the threat of stone pelting mobs and curfew of the 4am start on Sonmarg-Srinagar route. Did 656 kms on the final day at a stretch of 16 hours continuous riding and reached home @1.30 am. Nothing great is ever achieved without enthusiasm, as the caption says!

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-p8changla-pass.jpg

Time for
2nd Service of the Himalayan on 19-06-2016 at 4649 kms

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-2nd-service-19062016-4649kms_2.jpg

First it was given a pampered Foam Wash after returning from Leh

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-2nd-service-19062016-4649kms_3.jpg

Then fully serviced at the service station

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-2nd-service-19062016-4649kms_1.jpg

No Major faults were found. I did not even have a puncture on the entire Ladakh trip. The tappet noise had increased which was duly adjusted in this service. Also my mechanic had sprayed some tyre lube into the switches console, before I could stop him, prior to my Ladakh departure, which had lead to the tail light not coming on sometimes when the headlight was switched on and the switch had to be toggled with to get it on. The switch was duly replaced under warranty in this service. I got the engine oil and filter also replaced pro-actively though RE claims they have a life of 10k kms but I was not convinced. One bolt of bash plate had fallen of and some I pro-actively replaced. The bash plate had taken a hit at one of the water crossings which I had got straightened at the RE Service Centre at Leh.

I did not have a single fall on the entire trip but I did get stuck in the sand on the last leg of the Tso Moriri to Pangong Tso route (which requires a inner line permit, btw, and foreigners are not allowed on that route), and rested the bike on the sand, if you can call that a fall. That, according to me was the toughest route in the entire trip with more than 150kms of the approx 250kms journey being without roads. I covered more than 13 passes in as many days and most of them were done totally SOLO. Khardung La was amongst the easier ones. Wari la amongst the most beautiful ones. Taglangla was the best paved one while NakeeLa was the 'haunted' one. More details on these later. I found Zoji La to be much more treacherous and the Tso Moriri to Pangong route was THE real nut cracker.

The total bill

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-2nd-service-19062016-4649kms_4.jpg

Cheers for now...

Last edited by dkaile : 27th September 2016 at 11:09.
dkaile is online now   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 16:33   #212
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper21 View Post
Thanks Karthik,
Do you think the fuel guage is accurate? sometimes it shows half way when i switch on the ignition, but drops as soon as i start riding. Your experience please?
This happens only if you have parked on the side stand or an angle, when you start riding the meter comes back to normal reading again.
salunkhe.vizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 18:34   #213
BHPian

Thanks for the reply. I am going in for the first service tomorrow. Will let you know of my experience post service.
Viper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 02:57   #214
BHPian

Updates of your ride sir. Haven't read your views in a while.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 11:31   #215
Senior - BHPian

A story of 13 Passes in as many days... or maybe some more

Rohtang La - Baralacha La - Nakee La - Lachung La - Taglang La - Khardung La - Wari La - Chang La - Fotu La - Namka La - Zoji La

Besides the above I crossed Namashang La, Chagga La and Rezang La on my Tso Moriri to Pangong Tso route. I did most of these passes totally SOLO and without support. In very few I was with some fellow riders.

The most enthralling route ever is the Tso Moriri to Pangong Tso route. A must if you are a true blue biker. There are many blogs about that route which you can access on the internet about more information on that route.

Tso Moriri (Korzok) - Kiagar Tso - Sumdo - Mahe - Nyoma - Loma - Tsaga -Chusul - Merak - Man - Pangong Tso (Spangmik)

So it starts from the Rohtang Pass (13058 Feet). One water crossing en-route grounded many bikers in the mud due to the monsoons at that time.

Name:  P1Rohtang Pass.jpg
Views: 2145
Size:  264.9 KB

One of the most beautiful passes you will ever see in your life - Baralacha La (15912 feet)

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-p2baralachala-pass.jpg

Name:  P2Baralachala Pass_1.jpg
Views: 2128
Size:  156.5 KB

The Haunted Pass - Nakee La (15547 feet)

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-p3nakeela-pass.jpg

And then Lachung La (16616 feet)

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-p4lachungla-pass.jpg

Then comes Pang (15280 feet). One of the riders fell seriously ill here.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-p4pang.jpg

The beauty that is Pang

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-p4_pang1.jpg

And then there is the 2nd highest Pass of the World - Taglang La (17582 feet). It's the highest pass on the Manali-Leh route.

Name:  P5_Taglangla Pass_1.jpg
Views: 2085
Size:  201.5 KB

Both of us made it (the bike and me)... lolz

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-p5taglangla-pass_2.jpg

The Road after Taglang La is just beautiful - The Road to Eternity

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-p5after-taglanglafrom-here-eternity.jpg

After 3 days of riding, Leh is just 100kms now

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-p5leh-100kms.jpg

You reach Leh and then proceed to conquer the Highest Motorable Pass in the World - Khardung La (18380 feet). I found it relatively easy.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-p6khardungla-pass.jpg

The road after Khardung La

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-p6khardungla-pass_2.jpg

Wari La Pass (17400 feet) was quite strenuous, enroute to Nubra, and freezing

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-p7wari-la-pass.jpg

The Mighty Chang La (17688 feet) (en-route of Pangong)

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-p8changla-pass.jpg

Met some nice friends

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-p8_changla-pass_2.jpg

Fotula Pass (13479 feet) - enroute on the ride back on the Leh-Sringar route is the highest point on that road which is relatively much much easy than the Manali-Leh route.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-p9_fotula-pass.jpg

Namkala Pass (12198 feet)

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-p10_namkala-pass.jpg

And then the toughest pass on the entire trip was the Zoji La (11649 feet) just before entering the Kashmir Valley into Sonmarg, probably because of the incessant monsoon rains at the time I tackled it. And to imagine we took the Tanks up there during the Pakistan War on such a narrow road!!

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-p11_zojila-pass_2.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-p11_zojila-pass_1.jpg

Many more memories to come. Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 23rd October 2016 at 11:44.
dkaile is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 16:14   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Hi All,

I have ridden the Himalayan
I think your front tyre tread is in the reverse direction?
mh09ad5578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 17:13   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
I think your front tyre tread is in the reverse direction?
Nope. It's in the same way as rest of our members bike. May be you could have seen photos taken in selfie mode which could be in reverse.
aks_karthik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 21:24   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
UPDATE on BOLT USB Charger

Do NOT use BOLT USB Charger and get stuck like me. I had ordered and posted review of this charger in this thread which looked very good on paper. They claim it is a 2Amp charger capable of fast charging. However the reality turned out quite different. The original unit took a very long time to increase my phone battery by just 1% for which I complained to them and they sent me a replacement top unit which I tested today. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and tested the new unit. That turned out to be worse giving me a warning on my phone of "Unsupported power adapter" (see screenshot attached).

Attachment 1541266

On contacting them and asking for a refund they refused and instead insisted that I return back their unit only to again get a replacement. Now how can I trust a hardware for my costly phones that had already failed twice!! Hence I refused and insisted on a refund plus return shipping cost, only of receipt of which I shall be returning back their 'junk'. Since I have to leave for Leh soon, I have now to buy a good and reliable replacement urgently and am stuck with this for no ryhme or reason. PLEASE ALL BE AWARE.

-----------------------
BOLT:

They sent me a new unit free of cost when I called them stating my unit was not charging the iphone. The unit was charging all other mobiles but not the iphone. I tested 3 different iphones and 1 ipad with different cables but the unit just wouldn't charge any apple devices, on the older iphone 4 it showed accessory not supported. But all the android phones were charging fine with that.

I contacted customer support and they sent me a new charger immediately within a week and never asked for the older unit to be returned. I couriered the older unit back as it would be unfair on my part but overall they are very serious with customer satisfaction.

The new unit works fine on my phone now and also supports all apple devices. So all in all I am happy.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 01:53   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
[url="http://thebolt.club/"][b][u]Bolt Motorcycle Charger Review
The drawback of not reading and searching the forum for a review on the Bolt Charger before I commited and paid half the amount to get a made to order one according to my needs.

I went solely by the review on another site and was impressed. Anyway, since I have a battery tender cable connected to the battery on my Baron and the connectors on the Bolt come with a positive and negative connectors that need to be connected to the terminals on the battery, I wanted something that can connect directly to the battery tender cable instead of the battery directly. Contacted Bolt and they were friendly enough to order the Deltran Battery Tender USB charger for me from Amazon.in and they said that they would connect that to the Bolt connectors. So instead of me connecting the wires to the battery directly, I could just plug in the USB charger to the battery tender cable. I also paid them Rs.2,000.00 for the Deltran Battery Tender USB charger and said that I would pay them the remaining once they shiped out the finished product. Which eventually would work up to Rs. 1,699 (for the bolt) and Rs.2,000 for the Deltran battery tender charger. Now after reading your post, I have a feeling that I've wasted good money for a product that's not going to do me much good.

It's too late for me to do anything about it now and all I can do is keep my fingers crossed that the Bolt works much better than what you experienced on the one you got.

And to think that all this time I was so happy that I had made a good decision and was getting a custom made product.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   Reply With Quote