Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 17th June 2016, 11:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default TVS Motors patents semi-AMT technology for bikes

TVS Motors have been granted a patent for a semi-automated manual transmission technology (SMT) for motorcycles. The company had filed the patent in February 2009, which was granted in May 2016.

The company has also said that the production-spec bike with SMT might come with two independent switches, one for upshifts and the other for downshifts. Whenever the rider will press a switch to shift gears, an electric motor will engage to operate the clutch and shift the mechanical cogs. This would thus reduce the rider's effort to engage and disengage the clutch, especially in city traffic.

TVS first introduced a clutch-less gearshift mechanism with the TVS Jive, which didn't have a mechanical clutch lever on the handlebar, and riders needed to shift gears through a conventional foot-peg mounted lever. The Jive made TVS the first company to launch a clutch-less motorcycle in India.

But this foot-peg mounted clutch-less gear-shift mechanism had its share of issues. Every time the rider used the lever to shift a gear, the effort required to operate the lever would be much larger than what was needed on a conventional mechanical transmission. Moreover, since the background clutch operation was linked to the gear-shift lever, the tendency of riders to keep their foot on the foot-peg lever would result in a slight disengagement of the clutch, thus negatively affecting the fuel economy and enhancing clutch wear and tear.

Source: Business Standard

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 17th June 2016 at 11:51.
dZired is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 12:31   #2
BHPian

Default re: TVS Motors patents semi-AMT technology for bikes

Semi-automated transmission will not impress a buyer. It should be fully automated. Why the automatic transmission technology of scooters can not be implemented in motorcycles? Can someone throw some light in this please? I have driven Navi recently. It did not impress me; especially the wheel size I disliked most. It does not offer the ride quality of a motorcycle.
basubhatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 12:34   #3
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
TVS first introduced a clutch-less gearshift mechanism with the TVS Jive, which didn't have a mechanical clutch lever on the handlebar, and riders needed to shift gears through a conventional foot-peg mounted lever. The Jive made TVS the first company to launch a clutch-less motorcycle in India.
Just wondering about that claim/credit for TVS:
Wasn't the first clutch-less gearshift mechanism introduced in India with the Hero Honda Street ? (sometime in late 90s ?)
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 13:10   #4
BHPian

I remember Hero Motors had a bike by the name of 'Street' which again was a bike where you did not need to press the clutch to change gears. Infact there was no clutch lever on the bike. The operation was pretty smooth and they should consider bringing it back.
Knowall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 18:42   #5
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: TVS Motors patents semi-AMT technology for bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by basubhatta View Post
I have driven Navi recently. It did not impress me; especially the wheel size I disliked most. It does not offer the ride quality of a motorcycle.

The NAVI is not a Motorcyle. Your expectation was wrong

payeng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 20:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
The NAVI is not a Motorcyle. Your expectation was wrong
I know it. Actually I want this kind of transmission in motorcycles, fully automatic. Is it possible? If not then why? Larger wheels in navi could offer automatic transmission in motorcycles.
basubhatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 23:13   #7
BHPian

Honda VFR1200F (optionally) comes with a switch operated gear shifter. But I think that one uses a dual clutch transmission. (And costs upwards of 20lakh)

It would be a helluva achievement for TVS if they can pull this one off in the price range they operate in.
antz.bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 00:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Semi-automated transmission will not impress a buyer. It should be fully automated. Why the automatic transmission technology of scooters can not be implemented in motorcycles?
Scooters use CVTs which 'shift' automatically. It's a simple and cheap transmission for a scooter. See my post here for more information: CVT (A novice's view: How transmissions work)

This transmission (which TVS has developed) needs a computer to initiate the upshift/downshift automatically. The computer needs to take into account various parameters like load, road incline, RPM of the engine etc to decide when to shift. Easier for the user to do it. That'll help them keep costs low on a low end bike.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 09:27   #9
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I know it. Actually I want this kind of transmission in motorcycles, fully automatic. Is it possible? If not then why? Larger wheels in navi could offer automatic transmission in motorcycles.
Since the Navi is certainly NOT, it won't behave like one for sure

payeng is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 11:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Just wondering about that claim/credit for TVS:
Wasn't the first clutch-less gearshift mechanism introduced in India with the Hero Honda Street ? (sometime in late 90s ?)
TVS can easily get away by categorizing the Street as moped. As per them, Jive was the first clutch-less motorcycle.

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 18th June 2016 at 11:40.
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 13:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Should have a smaller torque converter with an automatic transmission, will work like a charm.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 20:48   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Should have a smaller torque converter with an automatic transmission, will work like a charm.
What would be the diameter (and volume) of such a setup? Can it be packaged in a bike?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 08:06   #13

I have a 2000 Hero Honda Street. It has clutchless transmission with foot pedal to change the gears. I don't know how TVS gets a patent for this.
smooth indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 19:23   #14
BHPian

I think what the HH Street had was called as Rotary Transmission.

No idea how it actually worked, but remember that after doing 1-2-3-4, the rider could come to a complete stop & press the gear lever again to go straight to N.

Hence I think the term Rotary Gear ie 1-2-3-4-N-1 etc.

It was not a AMT / Semi AMT per se.

My thought would be that it would probably have a centifugal clutch or something similar.
Ameya Janvekar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote