Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 28th August 2016, 22:53   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default CBR250 conversion: Clip-on to pipe-style handlebar

This mod is a direct result of the carpal tunnel brought on by my Spiti ride and my reluctance to sell a ~8 month, 4500km done bike.

Even though my symptoms were much better, yet I was acutely aware of the limitations of its aggressive posture. This was done at Jitu paaji's workshop. The idea was germinated out of a (at around 13 mins) PMed by BHPian Ironhide, and endorsed by Jitu paaji, who converted P220F the same way.

Luckily - CBR is a confused bike. It has faux clipons but the seating is otherwise fairly upright (compared to a track focused machine like the RC, or even the R15). So, in order to make it more "middle aged consultant" friendly, all we had to do was to swap out the handlebar.

Compatible handlebars: IMHO Pulsar is ideal, although Splendor, Machismo and FZ16 v2 are compatible as well. Bikes like unicorn are NOT compatible since their handlebar is so tall that the clutch cable falls short. I tried Unicorn, Machismo (doable), and Pulsar (perfect fit).

Parts list:
a. ANY bike's handlebar upper and lower pieces. Or as the locals in Delhi call it, the handlebar Gutka.
b. Rubbers and washers for the gutka.
c. Pipe steering handle from any of the above bikes.
d. Compatible bar ends.

In Delhi I could source #a only in Karol bagh at Balaji motors, road no. 12, arya samaj road, karol bagh. They will tell you where to source #b (a corner shop a couple of streets away on the opposite side). Handlebars are easily available.

The mod is straightforward for a good FNG:
  1. Remove the ClipOns.
  2. Drill holes in the base plate for the clipons. Make sure to align the holes properly - ideally so that the new handlebar's non-smooth section is securely held by the handle holders. The pictures below should clarify.
  3. Drill holes in the new handlebar in line with the CBR's switch console. Trim any additional length of the bar (machismo needed that).
  4. Mount the handlebar using the upper and lowers. Secure with washers and loctite just to be sure.
  5. Rotate the handlebar such that the disc brake fluid container does not foul with the fairing, or only does so very little, and that the clutch lever / pass switch don't foul with the fairing and are in an angle that they can be intuitively operated.
  6. Install the bar-ends. This is critical. Without it, the vibrations can be unnervingly high.
Photos:
The much sought after gutka and washers - only found in central delhi! CBR250 conversion: Clip-on to pipe-style handlebar-hb1.jpg

Name:  HB2.jpg
Views: 10214
Size:  100.3 KB

Top side view - all done.
CBR250 conversion: Clip-on to pipe-style handlebar-hb3.jpg
Side view - looks almost like OEM
Name:  HB4.jpg
Views: 10177
Size:  132.2 KB
phamilyman is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2016, 12:48   #2
BHPian

Thumbs up Good Show !

Congrats H !

This modification, I have a feeling, will largely take care of the Carpal tunnel problems. Some more pictures would be welcome.

This sure looks interesting , and more ergonomic. I hope the palm numbness and the pain will now be a thing of the past and we'll now see some more ride reports from the mountains !

(PS: Doesn't the handlebar foul with the visor at full turn?)

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2016, 18:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: CBR250 conversion: Clip-on to pipe-style handlebar

Well done! Looking good there chief

Suggestion - Ask Jeetu Paaji to install a couple of handlebar risers too. Should take the comfort and "up-rightedness" to another level. If getting it made by him, it should cost you no more than 500 bucks all inclusive. Bolt on options available from Via-terra and redline shop for around 1k shipped

PS - any plans for the fairings? Are they staying? Personally, would love to see them go and make the Ceeber a crazy looking nudist, preferably with a nice bright round headlamp. Would probably look good
Urban_Nomad is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 13:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Suggestion - Ask Jeetu Paaji to install a couple of handlebar risers too. Should take the comfort and "up-rightedness" to another level.
Installing the Handlebar risers or a Handle bar with more rise is not a problem at all. The problem lies in finding the Clutch, Accelerator, Choke (in some cases) cables to suit the new position of the handlebar and the bike.

I have modified my Apache RTR 180 to fit a Pipe type handlebar. I had to use the Old Apache 150 Handlebar due to the limitations of the Accelerator cable.

In Apache the Accelerator cable is a split type, one wire goes to the carburettor and the other changes the advance/retard timing. Due to this I have no other option but to use the cables provided for Apache only.

Some guys have tried skipping the advance/retard mechanism connection, but I am not sure about the results to the engine performance.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 22:02   #5
BHPian

Dear @phamilyMan,

Good evening.

Congratulations on ditching the clip-ons for a regular bar-type handle on the CBR250R. I have been toying along similar thoughts on mine. Was thinking of the Duke 200 Handlebar though, instead of the Pulsar one you've used. Thanks also for the tip on the handlebar rubbers & the mounting clamps (gutka). Might just go ahead & take the plunge post the monsoons.

I did however do away with the side fairing, within the first few months, as hot air used to vent straight onto the legs before. I also did think of converting it to a naked, well, as much as possible at-least, but the complexity of doing an acceptable job & the fact that the handle-movement is restrictive, has kept me away from it so far.

Anyways, nice to see another CBR owner ditching the clip-ons for a single-piece handle in the search for better riding comfort.

Cheers,
Tanmay
St. Anger is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 20:37   #6
BHPian

Inspired by the fellow Bhpians mods and the need to retain my spine for a longer duration. Got in to action to change my Apache RTR handle bar to a more comfortable posture providing handle bar

Rewind few years, I had disc prolapse, doctor's question, you ride arching your spine like "C" or making it stand straight like line? My answer Apache RTR, his prescription monkey type Handle bar(the touring type). I said I cant change my bike or the handle bar

He slowly removed his spectacles shaking his head in slow motion(like movies) I could remember my debit card sliding through the MRI machine. Switched to driving car and learnt yoga from one of the best places. fixed my problem

Fast forward 2016, route to office required me to take the bike again. rode for a month, could sense the spine sending additional signals to brain for urgent care. Read few posts. understood the requirement, just like that went a local mechanic(Imran) whom i had not met in my life before. he looked at the bike and said

"Sir, two holes, two handle bar anchors and one handle bar of your choice. I Insisted that clutch cable, accelerator cable and disc brake oil pipe needs change. He was adamant in using the existing unless it poses an issue

Drilling holes in the handlebar plate - Rs.200
Handlebar holders with bolts - Rs.175 (appx)
(i thought phamilyman referring it as "gutka" should be a local slang. to my surprise the package clearly mentioned it so)
Bajaj pulsar 180 handle bar - Rs.288
Clutch cable - Rs.169
Accelerator cable - Rs.150
Labour charges-Rs.150

Spine after the modifications -

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
In Apache the Accelerator cable is a split type, one wire goes to the carburettor and the other changes the advance/retard timing. Due to this I have no other option but to use the cables provided for Apache only.
Some guys have tried skipping the advance/retard mechanism connection, but I am not sure about the results to the engine performance.
The mechanic said the additional wire is for the power and economy mode (though its not present in indian Apache models) and laid a normal cable. i dont see any timing issues as of now. will update if it surfaces

CBR250 conversion: Clip-on to pipe-style handlebar-img_20160905_135247.jpg

CBR250 conversion: Clip-on to pipe-style handlebar-img_20160905_135252.jpg

PS: When TVS and Bajaj battle out in court for technology copying / usage. I silently amalgamated both of their technologies for my benefit. Hope they wont sue me!

Cheers and thanks to Bhpians

Last edited by Self Driven : 5th September 2016 at 20:44. Reason: additional quote
Self Driven is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote