BHPian

I find the styling of the HX250 dated... from the 90s era
payeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 04:57   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Hero MotoCorp to launch 15 bikes in FY 16-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
I can already see this happening in possibly the most predictable and least innovative way possible by rebranding Honda stuff as Hero.

That's a long list but incase you didn't know, Hero says they are only using 4 Honda sourced products. The Ignitor(stunner), Impulse, Passion Xpro and Maestro.
Their royalty to Honda has declined from 120 crores to 80 crores and their last royalty payment will end in June 2017 or until they discontinue all 4 products altogether.

So no, they will not be using any Honda engines officially.

They have been cutting down the number of Honda sourced models over the last few years as per their plan but in the last 2 years the Maestro, Ignitor and Passion picked up sales and therefore instead of reducing their royalty to Honda annually it actually went climbing back up again.

Now this year Hero was talking about discontinuing the existing 4 Honda sourced products altogether so that they can further reduce their royalties and finish the payment on time.

If you ask me personally, I'm a bit more skeptic of their claims about only using these 4 models from Honda right now. With the fall of EBR there's no way they would have an existing R&D division helping them build bikes that not only meet the next emission norms but also deliver additional fuel efficiency while still retaining reliability.
I still think those are slightly modified or reworked Honda engines in the lineup.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 12:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Dont have too much hopes on this one. Probably, we will get 4 new Splendor sticker jobs with some wayward names. A couple of "all new" Passion, Passion Pro Plus, Passsion Ultra et all. And a brand new colour scheme in "Brown"!!
The Honda is low on R&D and the ideas have run out. How else can you explain the complete disastrous rendition of their iconic Zma in the last iteration.
Sorry, but this 15 product launch is actually a joke than a threat!!!!
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 12:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
I find the styling of the HX250 dated... from the 90s era
Same feeling. They should focus on Hastur IMO, but given their loss of expertise in engines and higher capacity bikes (as stated in above post) in general, I don't see them bringing any motorcycles in the premium commuter segment anytime soon.
I wished they teamed up with some one other than EBR.
NiInJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 15:24   #20
BHPian

No word on the Hero Zir and Dash motoscooters? I actually liked the big look of the Zir
farhadtarapore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 15:39   #21

1. Hero stopped re-branding Honda bikes when they split. The only ones that continue to be Honda products are Impulse, Ignitor & Passion XPro, which will stop in 2017. The rest are all legacy products.
2. New engines are not 100cc, they're 110cc. They're on the road too - iSmart 110. More new engines on the way, not re-worked versions of Honda's 125 or 150. Legal issues.
3. New tech is getting added only in bits and pieces for now.
4. Thanks to the EBR screw-up, Hero has lost progress. But they've started work on proper all-new bikes (chassis, powertrain & bodywork). Yet, it'll take another 3-5 years before we see anything good come out.
5. HX250R has gone back to square one, thanks to EBR.
6. In the meantime, Hero will sustain (comfortably!) by milking the current bikes, and such so-called "new" bikes...
7. Also, BS4 tech has very little to do with the engine, except for re-calibration (minor). Its a separate system that uses a vapour collection system, and a canister. The carburettor, ignition timing and the fuel tank require changes.
8. FE going up is simply because of better tuning+minor upgrades and reduction in weight.
9. Setting passion aside, a commuter bike needs to get a person from point A to point B super-reliably, comfortably and cost as little as possible. Hero's bikes do that, and very well indeed.
10. Ultimately, its a business, and they're highly profitable and all the cost saving is netting them even more profits!!
KSTejaswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 16:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSTejaswi View Post
1. Hero stopped re-branding Honda bikes when they split. The only ones that continue to be Honda products are Impulse, Ignitor & Passion XPro, which will stop in 2017. The rest are all legacy products.
But the most important engine of them all, the 97.2 cc / Gem of an engine, still remains the original Honda derived engine.. the one which powers the three most important models i.e the

[1] Splendor+/Pro, (about 2 lakh units per month)
[2] Passion Pro and (about 90k-100 K units per month)
[3] HF Deluxe (about 80k-90k units per month)

Would be very interesting when/if these engines gets replaced by Hero developed ones.

Last edited by payeng : 6th September 2016 at 17:03.
payeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 17:07   #23
BHPian

Somehow, even with good investments and decent products, I feel this is the beginning of the end for Hero.

We still have a 1986 HH CD 100 and it is a pleasure to ride even today. Gives a constant 80kmpl and is way more reliable than the Splendors, pulsars of the current gen. However, it doesn't have too much power, good brakes or styling. But hey, for commuting, it is probably way efficient and comfortable than my 200NS.

PS: It is being ridden by my grandpa who is still a motorcyclist even now (late eighties) but we have restricted him to our neighbourhood.
Viv3k is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 09:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Unicorn 160 engine is yet to be used anywhere by Hero - maybe it'd show up somewhere, but for the sake of leanness Hero probably wouldn't do this. If it did bring that engine, it'll be in the Hunk to compete with the Unicorn 160 and the Xtreme Sports to compete with the CB Hornet.
I doubt that. Didn't the technology sharing agreement between Hero and Honda end before the new 160cc Honda engine was launched?
govindremesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 11:07   #25

Hero does not have access to Honda's 160cc engine. Nor is Hero interested in 160cc for now.
KSTejaswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 10:21   #26

Quote:
I can already see this happening in possibly the most predictable and least innovative way possible by rebranding Honda stuff as Hero.
  1. A lot more of their 100cc bikes with the Honda CD100 engine need upgrading to the Honda 110cc engine (first used in the Twister and then other Honda and Hero products) to comply with BS4 norms (and jack up power/mileage figures).
  2. The Super Splendor has a 9HP 125cc engine which would be swapped for the Honda Stunner 125cc engine (already used in the Ignitor) possibly tuned for lower power to compete with Honda Shine (and comply with BS4 norms).
  3. The Achiever is happy with the Unicorn engine but needs new stickers and maybe a tweak or two to comply with BS4 norms.
  4. Karizma twins were doing well before they became ugly; so perhaps revert back to the last known good design but with newer stickers. A REALLY smart (and typically Hero-ish) move would be to launch the HX250R (which would just be a rebranded CBR250R like the Ignitor was a rebranded Stunner) as the all new Karizma 250 Super Sports (or another cheesy name).
  5. Impulse might get either an engine tweak or the 224cc Karizma block. Later less likely.
  6. One or more differently styled scooters with the various Activa family engines - 110cc and 125cc.
  7. Unicorn 160 engine is yet to be used anywhere by Hero - maybe it'd show up somewhere, but for the sake of leanness Hero probably wouldn't do this. If it did bring that engine, it'll be in the Hunk to compete with the Unicorn 160 and the Xtreme Sports to compete with the CB Hornet.

Pretty sure this should be enough to cover 15 models.

Hero makes me cringe. Back in 2013 reports were going on about Hero releasing their own engines for all models by Q1 or Q2 2015. It is Q3 2016 now and there's no sign of the mythical ultra efficient and hyper reliable Hero engines. Not even a 100cc engine. But there are a billion Indians who still think a Hero is the most reliable thing they can buy and continue buying Splendors (and family) by the millions every year.
1. Hero has their own 110cc engine, not Honda derived. Check out the new iSmart 110 : https://www.heromotocorp.com/en-in/t...rt-110-78.html
2. No change in Super Splendor's engine in the near future. And like I've already mentioned, for Hero to meet BS4, the engine calibration changes a little, nothing major
3. I don't think we'll be seeing the Achiever post BS4 implementation
4. There's no way that Hero can use Honda products, nor are they willing to do so. I've already mentioned that in a previous post. So, no, CBR250R will not be ever become a Hero vehicle, in any avatar. Hero's own 250 will take time...
5. Sorry to disappoint, but the Impulse also wont make it past April 2017
6. Same scooters, but BS4 ready. Graphics jobs, perhaps...
7. Again, no Honda engines in Hero now, or in future.

While I agree that Hero has disappointed (so far), there is still hope. Meanwhile, Splendor, Passion, iSmart & co. will keep selling. Its simple - you buy the bike at 50-60k, use it for 5 years trouble-free, and then go sell it off for 50%. Most people love that equation. Credit to Honda for those superbly reliable engines.

Its actually quite simple now. You want a scooter, Activa is first choice. Basic motorcycle? Hero's splendor/passion family.

They're so strong there, most competitors simply get out of their way in the 100cc segment!
KSTejaswi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote