Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 1st September 2016, 17:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Hero MotoCorp to launch 15 bikes in FY 16-17

Hero MotoCorp's Chairman, MD and CEO - Pawan Munjal, has announced that the company will be launching 15 new products in the domestic as well as global markets during the present fiscal year (FY 16-17). Through these launches, the country's biggest two-wheeler manufacturer is aiming to record two-digit growth. The said announcement was made during the 56th Annual SIAM (Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers) Convention.

Mr. Munjal also pointed out that the domestic market will get three new launches before the festive season. These include the new Achiever 150, and the updated Super Splendor and Passion PRO models that will now be equipped with Hero's patented i3S technology. The i3S is essentially an auto start-stop system for motorcycles that is claimed to be developed for extracting a higher fuel efficiency figure.

The CEO also mentioned that the 15 new launches scheduled for this fiscal also include some scooters. Moreover, the company is aiming to update its entire product line-up to be compliant to BS4 emission in the next four months.

Source: ET Auto

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 1st September 2016 at 17:15.
dZired is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 17:55   #2
BHPian

Default re: Hero MotoCorp to launch 15 bikes in FY 16-17

HMCL seems to be interested only in 100CC bikes and scooters. Whatever happened to Hastur and HX 250R which they showcased in auto expo. It is high time they add some serious bikes to their portfolios.
girimajiananth is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 18:04   #3
BHPian

Its sad to see India's first "Premium Sports Commuter" the Karizma on its death bed... simply amazing to see how once a popular brand like the Karizma now has no takers.

Probably it might have shaken the confidence of Hero to try anything new that is above 150 cc.

payeng is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 18:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

With Honda gaining share in the entry-level 100/125cc segment, Hero must be definitely feeling the pinch. Now, Activa is steadily increasing its foot print while the best-selling Splendor is losing it. Hero doesn't seem to have much technology and R&D up its sleeve, which will be bothering them. They can't keep plonking the decades old engine into every other design (mostly not pleasing ones) and market it as a new model. Till now, they have been reaping the benefit of their old brand name and reliability (not much in the new gen Hero bikes) but it will cease to exist eventually when people will move towards superior offerings.

Out of the 15 models claimed, I feel they might just add their new start-stop feature to each of existing model and launch them as new, probably add some graphics and colors to the portfolio (they have done this in the past).

Last edited by ashis89 : 1st September 2016 at 18:19. Reason: Spell check
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 18:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Really hope 15 new products does not translate to 15 new sticker jobs

Bring the HX250 at least Hero, and a 250 CC reworked Impulse too while you are at it
Urban_Nomad is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 18:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Out of the 15 models claimed, I feel they might just add their new start-stop feature to each of existing model and launch them as new, probably add some graphics and colors to the portfolio (they have done this in the past).
This is exactly what I was thinking when I opened the article. It is simply not possible for any manufacturer to launch 15 new models in 1 year, and this is especially true in case of Hero. They'll just slap some new stickers, or introduce some new technology and name the bike as 'all new'.

Moreover, Hero seems to be content with playing in the 100cc category. Iconic motorcycles such as Karizma, CBZ are on the back burner, while bikes such as HX250R, Impulse 250, among others are nowhere to be seen.

But in the end what matters is profitability and returns, and till the time Hero is delivering on that front, their investors will be happy.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 09:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Its sad to see India's first "Premium Sports Commuter" the Karizma on its death bed... simply amazing to see how once a popular brand like the Karizma now has no takers.

Probably it might have shaken the confidence of Hero to try anything new that is above 150 cc.
If only Hero had focussed on upgrading the HW bits and left the styling untouched from the original Karizma ZMR, I am sure it will find enough takers. In my view, they can still do it like Yamaha went back to the single seat for the R15.
indivic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 09:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
If only Hero had focussed on upgrading the HW bits and left the styling untouched from the original Karizma ZMR, I am sure it will find enough takers. In my view, they can still do it like Yamaha went back to the single seat for the R15.

I don't think its just the New Styling of the Karizma that is the problem.

The reason why the Karizma was once popular was because it the was the "Most Premium Motorcycle" / "Above All"(once upon a time) kind of motorcycle one could buy in India. The Positioning was very clear.

Times have changed, India has changed, Indian customers have changed... and so has the position of the Karizma..

I don't see a clear positioning of the Karizma in 2016.. and that according to me is the Main Problem.

payeng is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 10:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Really hope 15 new products does not translate to 15 new sticker jobs

Bring the HX250 at least Hero, and a 250 CC reworked Impulse too while you are at it
Being Hero, majority of the 15 are bound to be sticker jobs. The management is only concerned about financial aspects and the various splendors are being milked very nicely to give record revenues and profits year on year.
My only hope is that atleast 2-3 are completely new vehicles.

Quote:

The reason why the Karizma was once popular was because it the was the "Most Premium Motorcycle" / "Above All"(once upon a time) kind of motorcycle one could buy in India. The Positioning was very clear.

Times have changed, India has changed, Indian customers have changed... and so has the position of the Karizma..

I don't see a clear positioning of the Karizma in 2016.. and that according to me is the Main Problem.
I have to disagree. Karizma was doing steady 2-3K per month and then suddenly dropped to hundreds post the new styling.
Karizma has very good positioning as good all round bike including city riding and touring.

Last edited by timuseravan : 2nd September 2016 at 10:55.
timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 10:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hope at least a few of these are proper new launches, and not just the Super - *, Super Duper - *, Sports - * etc monikers with rainbow of colours.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 13:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:

It still has a lot of things going for it - 200+ CC capacity, FI +oil cooler, good dynamics, comfortable seats(in single seat avatar). It doesnt necessarily have to sell as a flagship. Bajaj haven't fiddled with the P220 after switching to carb and I am sure it is selling strongly atleast in Chennai. I am seeing a fair percentage of new P220s amongst the Pulsar crowd and lesser AS200s. There is space for such a bike in the 1.2- 1.3L range

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I have to disagree. Karizma was doing steady 2-3K per month and then suddenly dropped to hundreds post the new styling.
Karizma has very good positioning as good all round bike including city riding and touring.
+1 to that
indivic is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 15:29   #12
BHPian

Default Re: Hero MotoCorp to launch 15 bikes in FY 16-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Bajaj haven't fiddled with the P220 after switching to carb and I am sure it is selling strongly atleast in Chennai.

I am seeing a fair percentage of new P220s amongst the Pulsar crowd and lesser AS200s
The P220 has been selling/continues to sell with a stable 7-5k every month.. I guess its has a good presence across India.

Funny since the NS200/AS200 is by far a much superior bike compared to the P220.. only goes to show how customers go for Perception and Popular choice.. rather than actual product attributes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post

The current styling is atrocious no doubt.. but its also true that the INITIAL POSITIONING of the Karizma as the Most Premium Motorycle that one could buy is India, is no longer applicable in 2016.

There are more expensive/premium/desirable models in the market now.

Even the current Apache RTR 160/180 are not pleasing to the eye than what the earlier variants were.. but they still continue to be in steady demand.

Last edited by payeng : 2nd September 2016 at 15:36.
payeng is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2016, 12:19   #13
MHG
BHPian

Thumbs down Re: Hero MotoCorp to launch 15 bikes in FY 16-17

I can already see this happening in possibly the most predictable and least innovative way possible by rebranding Honda stuff as Hero.
  1. A lot more of their 100cc bikes with the Honda CD100 engine need upgrading to the Honda 110cc engine (first used in the Twister and then other Honda and Hero products) to comply with BS4 norms (and jack up power/mileage figures).
  2. The Super Splendor has a 9HP 125cc engine which would be swapped for the Honda Stunner 125cc engine (already used in the Ignitor) possibly tuned for lower power to compete with Honda Shine (and comply with BS4 norms).
  3. The Achiever is happy with the Unicorn engine but needs new stickers and maybe a tweak or two to comply with BS4 norms.
  4. Karizma twins were doing well before they became ugly; so perhaps revert back to the last known good design but with newer stickers. A REALLY smart (and typically Hero-ish) move would be to launch the HX250R (which would just be a rebranded CBR250R like the Ignitor was a rebranded Stunner) as the all new Karizma 250 Super Sports (or another cheesy name).
  5. Impulse might get either an engine tweak or the 224cc Karizma block. Later less likely.
  6. One or more differently styled scooters with the various Activa family engines - 110cc and 125cc.
  7. Unicorn 160 engine is yet to be used anywhere by Hero - maybe it'd show up somewhere, but for the sake of leanness Hero probably wouldn't do this. If it did bring that engine, it'll be in the Hunk to compete with the Unicorn 160 and the Xtreme Sports to compete with the CB Hornet.

Pretty sure this should be enough to cover 15 models.

Hero makes me cringe. Back in 2013 reports were going on about Hero releasing their own engines for all models by Q1 or Q2 2015. It is Q3 2016 now and there's no sign of the mythical ultra efficient and hyper reliable Hero engines. Not even a 100cc engine. But there are a billion Indians who still think a Hero is the most reliable thing they can buy and continue buying Splendors (and family) by the millions every year.

Last edited by MHG : 4th September 2016 at 12:32.
MHG is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 21:22   #14

Anyone knows anything about the ZIR Scooter launch ? I am highly interested to buy a big motoscooter.

Last edited by Glessrob : 5th September 2016 at 21:25.
Glessrob is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 22:25   #15
BHPian

The HX250 might probably be released early next year along with Xtreme 200. Does anyone have any insider info/updates on the developments at Hero Motors R & D center in Jaipur?
jetsetgo08 is offline   Reply With Quote